Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Hi everyone. This is pretty straightforward--post the first movie you saw in theaters or, alternatively , your first moviegoing experience. Please include the movie poster followed by a brief anecdote.

To start off...

My childhood was three things--Nintendo videogames, Warner Bros. animated series, and Pixar animated features. It was Thanksgiving of 1995. My family visited our mother's side and our aunt decided to treat us all to the movies. It wasn't exactly my first movie per se, I saw plenty of Disney movies on VHS, but I was six and I had yet to step foot in a proper theater. That all changed that magical evening. I had never seen anything like it--it was computer generated animation and it blew my mind. But what I took away from it the most were the quotes. I can still quote verbatim scenes like "YOU-ARE-A-TOOOOOOY" or "I AM MS NEZ-BIT" :laffo:

Next!

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I think it was Space Jam.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990). I remember loving the cartoon and wanting to see the movie so bad. All I remember about it was that it was surprisingly grittier than I thought TMNT would be. I was probably too young to watch it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Muppet Treasure Island (1996) - The only part of the experience I actually remember is that my parents bought a box of Snackwell's Devil's Food cookies, but little 5 year old me was euphoric and watched it on VHS/played through the Activision point and click game for a long, long time.

I'd also like to give a shout-out to Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow, the first R-rated movie I saw in theaters because all I remember is being really impressed at the shot of a fencepost getting thrown through a second-story window into a guy's torso and being sad when the fat guy got decapitated.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Bunch of children in here.

Return of the Jedi :smug:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Either a rerelease of Disney's Robin Hood or a rerelease of Robin Hood, both in the mid / late 80s.

I actually don't remember much beyond a few fragments of sitting in the theatre. Milo and Otis was the first actual film I remember in any serious detail, but we never really went to the cinema much when I was growing up.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I remember my Dad taking me to see Ernest Saves Christmas in theaters when I was like 6 years old. It remains to this day the only time I've seen a movie where my group were the only people in the theater.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
My older brother took me to see ET and I fell asleep during it because I was like four and then woke up during the part where ET was "dead" in a ditch and it made me hate/be terrified of ET for several years.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The Lion King.

Went to the re-release a couple of years ago with some friends and we were the only people in the theater and we sang along with every song it was loving great.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Elmo In Grouchland.

The only memory I have of the 90's (I was 3 when the millennium hit) is watching this. In it, Elmo has his blankie stolen by Mandy Patinkin and learns from Vanessa Williams that sharing is good. The theatre was in a pretty shady neighbourhood so when my mom and I got back to the car, we learned that someone had "taken" our carseats. I remember being pretty confused as to why anyone would bother taking someone else's carseats.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Oliver and Company which I don't remember anything about besides Billy Joel.

My real first movie was actually Return of the Jedi which my dad took me to when I was like 3 months old, I remember even less about that experience though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
My parents took me to The Last Temptation of the Christ when I was an infant.

The first one I actually remember going to is Nightmare Before Christmas, though.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
According to my parents they couldn't find a babysitter for a months-old me so they took me with them into Batman, which I'm glad I can claim as my first movie but I am ashamed of once being the baby someone brought into a theater.

The first actual memory I have is Jurassic Park, specifically the park where they lower the cow into the raptor pen because my mom covered my eyes on the assumption it was about to get wicked bloody.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Milo and Otis it was rad.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Missing in Action 2

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I remember crying when Littlefoot's mother died, and also being astonished at the size of the screen - though given this was a dodgy multiplex in 1988 it was probably tiny. I also remember there was a Looney Tunes cartoon in front of it, which must have been one of the last times that happened.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009

This movie is the first I can recall seeing in a theater, also. I remember just bawling when the mother died and being very :ohdear: that Littlefoot's grandparents would wind up dead, too.

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

Jose Oquendo posted:

The first movie I really remember seeing was Star Wars when it came out in late '77, when I was about 6 1/2. Balcony seat, top floor, just off to the right hand side.

The part that really sticks in my head is the opening shot of the Star Destroyer chase, but I remember being scared of the the Sandpeople attack, the Garbage compactor scene.

The cinema must have closed shortly after that, as we saw Empire at the local drive in with a bad projector so the whole thing was really, really dark. Most other movie going from my childhood was at that drive in - on summer night we'd put an air mattress in the back of the ute, us kids would ride in the back and we'd drive the 15km to town and watch in the back while Mum and Dad sat in the restaurant on chairs.

Other movies - a very young me saw What's Up Doc (The Streisand movie) and was very disappointed at the lack of Bugs Bunny, but that must have been at a double feature, maybe with The Rose ? Same for what must have been Revenge of the Pink Panther, I was upset when the animation ended and I watched some french guy running around.

I also remember my first "This movie is poo poo", which was Masters of the Universe (1987) , but I didn't care as the drive in had cancelled the second movie of the double feature, (which was always the crap rerun film,) due to the reels for Spaceballs had turned up week early. They still were advertising Masters as the main feature, so that one got screened first.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
The first one I can clearly remember is Jurassic Park. I remember being borderline euphoric coming out of the theater and excitedly telling my dad that the T-Rex should be renamed to "Save-a-saurus Rex." :3:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

evilbastard posted:

The cinema must have closed shortly after that, as we saw Empire at the local drive in with a bad projector so the whole thing was really, really dark. Most other movie going from my childhood was at that drive in - on summer night we'd put an air mattress in the back of the ute, us kids would ride in the back and we'd drive the 15km to town and watch in the back while Mum and Dad sat in the restaurant on chair.

Man, the town I grew up in had a drive-in but the projector was just like that, real dark and lovely. You could barely see the movie even when it was completely dark out. lovely tin can speakers. It was cheap admission but even then it wasn't even worth it because you couldn't really watch the movie. It closed down a few years ago because they couldn't raise the funds to go digital. Even though I hadn't been there in years I still got a little sad to see it go.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I probably saw some dumb cartoons first, but the first I really remember is Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan.

The popcorn was burnt and the seats were uncomfortable.

It was awesome.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
i dunno OP but i remember they played a looney tunes cartoon featuring that singing frog before it

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Batman Returns.

I think I thought it was a bit disturbing.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I think it was The Lion King. A good movie.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

The first time my parents too me to a movie was a drive thru when they saw Rocky III when I was a baby.
The first time I went to a theater was to see Ghostbusters.
The earliest time I can remember going to the theater was for the Care Bears movie.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jose Oquendo posted:

Do you actually remember this? You'd have been two right? I would have been under one year old, but I swear I remember it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
First? Space Jam. First I remember? Probably Men in Black or Mulan, a little unsure on the specific timing.

First R-rated in theaters was my dad taking me to see 300 when I was 13. I don't really dig that movie now, it's kind of a watch-it-once-and-never-again deal, but it owned as a young teen.

Malaleb
Dec 1, 2008
I know I saw other stuff before this, but the first movie experience I remember was a double-feature of Milo and Otis and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I think I ended up liking Milo and Otis better. I remember laughing a lot at Otis singing a song about being brave and then falling into a puddle or something.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

zVxTeflon posted:

Milo and Otis it was rad.

Haha same here. My grandma took me to see it at th discount matinee theater, I remember tickets were only a dollar.

My first R rated movie in theaters was Enemy at the Gates. I remember my dad took me to it and the weird, uncomfortable sex scene was made like 1000x more awkward.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
The earliest I can remember was a double-feature. Lion King and then Angels in the Outfield. I recall going with my family and we were unable to find seats except all the way in the front. So I had my head looking basically straight upwards for a good 4 hours. Still was amazing and I love both of these movies to this day.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The earliest movie-going experience I can remember is also Return of the Jedi.

Special Edition :unsmigghh:

Oddly enough, I remember less of the movie itself than child-me ripping open the packaging of what would later turn out to be a theater-exclusive, highly-expensive collectible action figure. :v:

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
The Empire Strikes Back at my friend's 10th birthday party. We went to a pizza place beforehand that had a bunch of arcade machines in the back, I specifically remember playing Moon Patrol and guzzling back a whole bunch of Dr. Pepper. It was a glorious birthday party and it was such a success that the next month another friend's family did pretty much the same thing except we went to see Raider's of the Lost Ark

:coal:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I think mine had to be Star Wars, either in 77 or 78. Or it might have been The Rescuers.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
For some reason my idiot parents brought me with them to see Howard the Duck when I was basically a baby. It probably explains a lot now that I think about it.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Benny the Snake posted:

Please include the movie poster followed by a brief anecdote.

I was 3 and we saw Sesame Street Presents: Follow that Bird I don't remember many details except that the whole experience was really emotional for a benign kids movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY8trVya5aU
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089994/

The first one I saw that I remember in great detail was The Little Mermaid.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

My first experience that I have memories of is Bambie when I was real young. I was born in 1980 so it probably was around 85. It was at a local art house theater in Chicago called the Brighton Theater which was sadly torn down back in the 90s.

My family are all movie nuts tho so I was able to see some cool movies opening night back in the day (Nightmare on Elm st. 3 in 87, Batman in 89, Child's Play 2 in 90)

e: ooh, just remembered another one. The original Transformers movie in 86. I was six when I heard Spike swear and saw Optimus Prime murdered right before my eyes. What a good movie.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 11, 2015

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Zogo posted:

I was 3 and we saw Sesame Street Presents: Follow that Bird I don't remember many details except that the whole experience was really emotional for a benign kids movie.

I remember this movie but I had no idea it was practically an SCTV joint.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Zogo posted:

Follow that Bird

holy poo poo this was my first movie in theaters. My father tells me I was traumatized when I saw Blue Big Bird.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Honestly, I'm sure I must have seen movies before 1996, but Independence Day seems to be the only one that sticks out in my early childhood, possibly due to the fact that I vomited all over my mother during the alien autopsy scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Pretty sure it was Roger Rabbit. Or some piece of poo poo danish movie.

I'm middle old I guess.

• Locked thread