Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
So I'm a long time fan of the series, and played the hell out of 4 with my mates back in the day. Now I'm finally properly messing around with the fifth, and there's some specific issues with it.

1. Most of the good content is in the end game, and it takes a huge amount of time to get there. You may lose at any point in the game, making it frustrating when you don't even make it to the best parts.

2. The AI is cold like a moneyman's heart. I don't think I've once been able to covince an "ally" to join a war, nor rely on those allies at all with anything else, either. In Civ 4 you could actually have a good ally throughout the entire game and while they sometimes did backstab you, it wasn't constant like in Civ 5.

3. It's impossible to have a big empire until the extreme endgame. Unless you happen to get lucky and have 8 different luxury resources next to you, you run out of smileyfaces so fast that it simply becomes impossible to expand very much. This has lead to my games having large uninhabited areas still in the year 1920 or something. No one has any motivation to wage war when there's still free land up for grabs. This was with the default map size/players settings. Apparently you gotta like double the amount of Civs to make living room even some kind of concern!

4. AI still sucks at combat and it's possible to take out huge enemy armies with just a few well-maneuvering units.

5. Apparently you can't view the map generator's typical results until you actually explore the map in the game. Would be nice to see what sort of map you might be playing on instead of having to guess. For example, fractal was one of my favourite map types in Civ 4 but now it's something completely different.

It's a game I'd like to enjoy, but it's getting tough. Plz give me tips for how to make Civ 5 a better game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Fahrenheit
Dec 27, 2012

SnowblindFatal posted:

So I'm a long time fan of the series, and played the hell out of 4 with my mates back in the day. Now I'm finally properly messing around with the fifth, and there's some specific issues with it.

1. Most of the good content is in the end game, and it takes a huge amount of time to get there. You may lose at any point in the game, making it frustrating when you don't even make it to the best parts.

2. The AI is cold like a moneyman's heart. I don't think I've once been able to covince an "ally" to join a war, nor rely on those allies at all with anything else, either. In Civ 4 you could actually have a good ally throughout the entire game and while they sometimes did backstab you, it wasn't constant like in Civ 5.

3. It's impossible to have a big empire until the extreme endgame. Unless you happen to get lucky and have 8 different luxury resources next to you, you run out of smileyfaces so fast that it simply becomes impossible to expand very much. This has lead to my games having large uninhabited areas still in the year 1920 or something. No one has any motivation to wage war when there's still free land up for grabs. This was with the default map size/players settings. Apparently you gotta like double the amount of Civs to make living room even some kind of concern!

4. AI still sucks at combat and it's possible to take out huge enemy armies with just a few well-maneuvering units.

5. Apparently you can't view the map generator's typical results until you actually explore the map in the game. Would be nice to see what sort of map you might be playing on instead of having to guess. For example, fractal was one of my favourite map types in Civ 4 but now it's something completely different.

It's a game I'd like to enjoy, but it's getting tough. Plz give me tips for how to make Civ 5 a better game.

sir this is a mcdonalds drive thru

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Mr.Fahrenheit posted:

Oh no, not again!

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

SnowblindFatal posted:

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
play mapgames instead

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

El Wombato posted:

play mapgames instead

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

get the expansions then run into the same problems all over again, OP

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

can't decide if i'm the chicken tendies or the fire emblem 3ds...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mr.Fahrenheit posted:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

HalfHazard posted:

can't decide if i'm the chicken tendies or the fire emblem 3ds...

clearly youre the mushroom culture in a cumrag

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
So is this like a solid problem with no fix?

If these posts seem weird it's because I'm also high sorry about that

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
*Takes a really deep breath for like 10 seconds* THE UNINSTALL MOD

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Hahah ok I get it I get it, but is Civ 5 really such an universally hated game that there's nothing that can save it? I mean it's no Sim City for sure.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Its ok but theres a lot of better options out there OP

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

El Wombato posted:

play mapgames instead

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Quit being a little bitch and just play this fun game, OP.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Mr.Fahrenheit posted:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

surc posted:

Quit being a little bitch and just play this fun game, OP.

he didn't say whether he had civ 4 or not.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
it's simultaneously a lot more fun and a lot less fun to play with other people instead of the AI, so as somebody who's not super into mapgames

El Wombato posted:

play mapgames instead

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Yeah I've been playing lots of Crusader Kings 2 lately and it's a blast. Made it from Western Francia to Roman Empire in a little over 100 years starting from 864 or something.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

this picture is the product of an incredibly hosed up and broken mind

This gamer likey!!!

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Civ 4 is still a good game, OP.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Does Civ 5 have Leonard Nimoy doing the tech advancement stuff still?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Does Civ 5 have Leonard Nimoy doing the tech advancement stuff still?

Absolutely not.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pewdiepie posted:

Absolutely not.

Can you mod them back in

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
I fooled you. I fooled you. I got pig iron. I got pig iron. I got all pig iron.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Can you mod them back in

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=121611292

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Here you go OP, this should help.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

SnowblindFatal posted:

1. i guess?
2. the AI are amoral and calculating. you should be too.
3. this isnt really true. religion is really good for smilies and some civs like egypt can get a good chunk of happiness on early buildings. lux resources should be high priority for city locations until the midgame
4. yep they're very dumb but if they outtech you its still a strategic challenge (they should almost always outtech you). stop playing on warlord and you'll need all your politicking and strategic abilities to handle their machineguns with your badass knights.
5. http://imgur.com/a/pMGtM

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Mr.Fahrenheit posted:

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked it when I first played it only because I had not played Civ 4 before, so if you really want to like Civ 5 my suggestion is to go back in time and not do that

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Why would you care if you liked this trash OP. Come on.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

as someone who played a lot of civ 5 the only reasons to play it are if you can't get into civ 4 and to wistfully dream of what a better dev team could have done with it

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Thanks for all the replies guys. I now know what to do.

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET
It's more like Risk than like a roleplaying game, which is what disappointed me a bit.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Krotera posted:

It's more like Risk than like a roleplaying game, which is what disappointed me a bit.

what

Dec 26, 2012

Krotera posted:

the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
op i COMMAND u t2o loike civ 5

• Locked thread