Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

For the last time, the game you play if you want to role play history is a map game. Civilization is for if you want a history-flavored board game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
civ 5 is a fun enough game that you play when you dont really have anything better to do, with music in the background

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Civ 5 and beyond earth would have made excellent phone games, especially because they have about the same amount of depth and entertainment value.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Wormskull posted:

For the last time, the game you play if you want to role play history is a map game. Civilization is for if you want a history-flavored board game.

Hey mister anime avatar, no one has disagreed with you.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

Civ 5 and beyond earth would have made excellent phone games, especially because they have about the same amount of depth and entertainment value.

FYI there is a civ phone game and it is worse than 5.

Mr.Fahrenheit
Dec 27, 2012

SnowblindFatal posted:

anime avatar?
are you loving retarded?

gently caress off

Soral
May 30, 2009

SnowblindFatal posted:

what

Dec 26, 2012

SnowblindFatal posted:

well,

Krotera posted:

It's more like Risk than like a roleplaying game, which is what disappointed me a bit.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Mr.Fahrenheit posted:

anime avatar?
are you loving retarded?

gently caress off

What's ur favourite anime.

And before you start saying that JRPGs (or whatever that av is from) aren't just anime in game form, let me pre-empt you by a hearty lol.

And Mr. anime santa, that dude you quoted agreed with the game anime dude, so I'm still lost as to why everyone's so aggressive to negate opinions that don't even exist in this thread.

I said I get it already. Civ 5 is a good game if your standards are low which is why so many people still like it.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

go to hell

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

SnowblindFatal posted:

And before you start saying that JRPGs (or whatever that av is from) aren't just anime in game form, let me pre-empt you by a hearty lol.

And Mr. anime santa, that dude you quoted agreed with the game anime dude, so I'm still lost as to why everyone's so aggressive to negate opinions that don't even exist in this thread.

I said I get it already. Civ 5 is a good game if your standards are low which is why so many people still like it.

:staredog:

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Ok be honest with me you guys. Is Imp zone just a colony of the anime forum? Because it's starting to look that way.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYjtZND21xI

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SnowblindFatal posted:

Ok be honest with me you guys. Is Imp zone just a colony of the anime forum? Because it's starting to look that way.
Everyone in Imp Zone loves hit SNES fighting game Ranma 1/2: Hard Battle, and it makes us hard.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Often the Imp Zone gathers together in the popular Imp Zone IRC channel to discuss our love of various games based on Rumiko Takahashi properties, including Ranma 1/2 and Inu Yasha, and we talk about how disappointed we are that there's no Maison Ikkoku version of the Sims, even though it's so obvious that there should be.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

SnowblindFatal posted:

uwotm8

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Every morning, SnowblindFatal has to fight every anime lover in the Imp Zone.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Mr.Fahrenheit
Dec 27, 2012
lol what the gently caress

Mr.Fahrenheit
Dec 27, 2012
how dare you insult my favorite JRPG character, Impa

AtlasToked
Sep 14, 2014
just play with some friends

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

unfortunately the netcode is poo poo

i do have fond memories of crushing a teamup of a buddy of mine and his girlfriend who were an age behind with a neverending stream of landsknechts tho

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Wormskull posted:

i think the historical flavor of civ is weird

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

elf help book posted:

i think the historical flavor of civ is weird

It's 100% worthless for any kind of alt history fantasy so all the people who play for that reason are severely brain damaged, IMO.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Wormskull posted:

It's 100% worthless for any kind of alt history fantasy so all the people who play for that reason are severely brain damaged, IMO.

The deepest it gets is stuff like "what if ancient Egypt had helicopters" which is enough to satisfy some people, I guess.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Do you need good netcode for a turn based game

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Do you need good netcode for a turn based game

Yeah if it doesn't let you do PBEM or Pitboss or whatever.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
its genuinely shocking how useless civ 5's multiplayer is to this day

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

subhuman filth posted:

3. this isnt really true. religion is really good for smilies and some civs like egypt can get a good chunk of happiness on early buildings. lux resources should be high priority for city locations until the midgame

lol

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Yes, it is really true. The AIs rarely expand beyond 4-5 cities, and it is actively detrimental for the player to expand beyond 4 cities. Four cities is pretty much always the optimal amount of cities. You always end up with huge swaths of the map unsettled in 1920.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
how the gently caress do you even do the domination victory
i never even tried to do that because it got so soul destroying to try to run a big empire or build invasion forces. it was either a case of "gently caress this im going for science victory" or "gently caress this i'm never going to get any victory conditions" and quit

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

SnowblindFatal posted:

Mr.Fahrenheit
Dec 27, 2012

vug posted:

how the gently caress do you even do the domination victory
i never even tried to do that because it got so soul destroying to try to run a big empire or build invasion forces

you take their capitals you dummy

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
What is pitboss?

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

What is pitboss?

Asynchronous multiplayer.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Borsche69 posted:

Yes, it is really true. The AIs rarely expand beyond 4-5 cities, and it is actively detrimental for the player to expand beyond 4 cities. Four cities is pretty much always the optimal amount of cities. You always end up with huge swaths of the map unsettled in 1920.

every ai ive ever seen actively settles 15+ cities if they can, and if they run out of room they murder their neighbors until they can. they settle single snow tile islands with no resources just to occupy more space. i dunno if you play on bitch difficulties but that doesnt mesh with anything i have ever seen.

its actually really good to settle as many cities as you can in good locations. cities in shithole locations with no resources suck rear end until the late game. more cities = more gold, and more cities with decent population = more science. 4 cities hasnt been optimal since vanilla

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
So do you play on Deity?

I did some prince and the one above it and never did I see big empires.

Got the latest expansion packs and all that.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

i mostly play immortal but ive dont a couple dieties. do you do weird settings or something? you should see some pretty ridiculous cancerous empires on king

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Wormskull posted:

uhhhhhh it's called the steam workshop and USING YOUR IMAGINATION you loving SPOILED CHILD.

E: what was that one that was actually fantasy or whatever though that's supposed to be good, endless something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

The deepest it gets is stuff like "what if ancient Egypt had helicopters" which is enough to satisfy some people, I guess.

my civ rp is to get to satellites when everyone else is still in the renaissance era and then you pretend that they think the world is ending because you're controlling the stars in the sky

• Locked thread