Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

painted bird posted:

a weird generalisation to make. :confused:

That males are bigger and stronger, generally, than females? I thought that was a pretty proven generalization/average? :confused:

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I think the IOC requires 2 years, but the point being this is something people have thought about, and hormones are effective at removing the advantage transwomen would otherwise have. Transwomen are allowed to compete, and have been for a while now (IOC ruling was in 2004 if I remember right), but there are no world class transwoman athletes. By your argument, they should be dominating.

Right, but I'm specifically talking about non-adult sports. This person has now turned 18 and must move on to adult stuff now if they want to stay involved in sports. I'm not sure they require junior high/highschool kids to be on hormones/blockers. And my concern isn't really about the person on this team, but who we might be facing in future games who may not be on any hormone stuff and may be a full sized physical male (s).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I understand having safety concerns about an 8-18 sports group, especially if your daughter is on the lower end of the age range. But if the issue is really a weight/size class thing, then I would hope that their coach has some good idea how to keep older and larger teammates from accidentally harming younger ones. Is your daughter old enough that you could talk to her about this? Maybe their team has an understanding already?

On the other side of the coin, I think it's also important to respect the 18 year old's life too. An 18 year old transgender girl probably goes through a ton of poo poo in high school, and it won't be long until she's out of the team's age range, so if things have been uneventful so far then is it really a problem to let her finish her track in peace? I'd imagine getting big 18 year olds in a girl's soccer team is fairly infrequent, so if she graduates the team uneventfully and there's nobody else around who's her size, then your concerns disappear when she leaves, right?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Cephas posted:

I understand having safety concerns about an 8-18 sports group, especially if your daughter is on the lower end of the age range. But if the issue is really a weight/size class thing, then I would hope that their coach has some good idea how to keep older and larger teammates from accidentally harming younger ones. Is your daughter old enough that you could talk to her about this? Maybe their team has an understanding already?

Roller Derby is making a comeback right now with over 1500 groups falling under the women's flat track right now. I hope the size and age disparity will go away once we get more girls involved and don't have to have such a varied age range to insure a teams viability. In other words: I hope that one day soon we'll have enough girls involved to have an 8-12 team and a 13-18 team. Or something like that.

Cephas posted:

On the other side of the coin, I think it's also important to respect the 18 year old's life too. An 18 year old transgender girl probably goes through a ton of poo poo in high school, and it won't be long until she's out of the team's age range, so if things have been uneventful so far then is it really a problem to let her finish her track in peace? I'd imagine getting big 18 year olds in a girl's soccer team is fairly infrequent, so if she graduates the team uneventfully and there's nobody else around who's her size, then your concerns disappear when she leaves, right?

The teammate is no issue, because she isn't going to be competing against my daughter. It's the older, bigger people on other teams that concerns me.

Thanks for the answers guys, I didn't know that kids can start hormone therapy/sex change stuff while still children. I'll just make my case as a size issue to the association.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine

spacetoaster posted:

No, they don't. It's roller derby and the girls team is 8 years old to 18
I would pull your daughter out of the program immediately before she gets hurt. Get other parents involved. Get the local press involved. Post on social media. You should be making a stink about this or someone could get seriously seriously hurt.

Trans females are not allowed to compete with biological females in combat sports. See the case of MMA fighter Fallon Fox who has repeatedly been denied matches with other females in any promotion worth a drat because she underwent puberty as a biological male, giving her a massive advantage.

Don't fall into the PC trap. Ask yourself this. Are there any transgender individuals in NHL? NBA? NFL? MLB? UFC? No. There isn't a single one. And there's a good reason why. Why should amateur leagues be the exception? Especially when there are kids lives in danger here.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Muttonchips posted:

Are there any transgender individuals in NHL? NBA? NFL? MLB? UFC? No. There isn't a single one. And there's a good reason why.

Because they aren't any good!

Despite the NCAA and IOC rules I mentioned earlier there aren't any Olympians or particularly successful NCAA athletes who transitioned and played as their true gender. They just aren't good enough, but don't let that stop you from clutching your pearls.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure when I was 18 I could beat up 8 year old no matter what gender and context. I'm strong and cool like that.

Sounds like a really serious competion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah dude the differences between cis and trans women are dwarfed by the differences among women from race, class, any kind of genetics.

Trans people have been allowed to compete against cis people for 10 years now, and haven't been at the top level, because of several fundamental disadvantages. For instance, cis women have anywhere from ten to a hundred times as much testosterone in their system as trans women.

• Locked thread