Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Latest Update: Unlockables and The finale! (10/18/15)

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 is a third person survival horror action thriller game that marks the tenth installment of the Resident Evil franchise, developed and published by Capcom. Holy crap! It was released on PS3, PS4, PS Vita, 360, Xbone, and Windows all simultaneously, episodically, starting from February 24, 2015. Deciding on a thread tag icon suitable for this game was a huge pain in the rear end.

Being an episodic title, it was released week by week until the end of the campaign came out, and now Capcom is steadily pushing out DLC campaign episodes that expand the story and game world. I will be playing all of the current DLC episodes as well as the main campaign; if any release during the course of the LP, I'll play those too!

Set between RE5 and notable Completely Goddamn Awful game RE6, the story follows Claire Redfield and her friend Moira Burton as they try to escape from a dilapidated island full of ~zombie-like creatures~ (the manual's words, not mine) after they are kidnapped by masked assailants. There is another half of each episode featuring fan favorite character, Barry goddamn Burton, as he desperately searches the island for his missing daughter with the help of a little girl with a very strange special ability.

Because it's awesome, that's why! The story is the perfect blend of a genuine, real emotional tale mixed with the traditional Resident Evil craziness as well as some of the most overt symbolism put in any video game ever. God drat this game loves Franz Kafka so much. It's a blast to play and the dialogue is both entertaining and endearing, and the way it expands upon the gameplay that's been building throughout the series brings it to great new heights.

One thing I particularly like is that the majority of the cast is female. Resident Evil has always been a series about showing that women can be just as capable as men if not moreso in the case of crazy ninja people like Ada Wong, and this game makes no bones about treating everybody equally. Good job Capcom, you're not entirely terrible this time.

Also, it's got an rear end-ton of replayability, but we'll get to that when we get to it.

Additionally, I will be doing a fun side playthrough of Raid Mode! Raid Mode is Revelations 2's replacement for the Mercenaries gamemode featured in almost every previous Resident Evil game. It uses a special RPG-like mission based system to add replay value and incentive to play it a lot. These videos will be VERY lax commentary-wise and are mostly here to give you something to watch in the background while you do other things or whathaveyou, since the standard game requires you to pay attention. These videos are for people who wanna relax and laugh along with me as I blow up a bajillion zombies and run through maps from Resident Evil games young and old with a whole slew of bombastic fuckoff weapons.

For this game, no. For any of the Resident Evil games leading up to this one, feel free to talk about whatever. Your favorite game in the series, your least favorite game (It's RE6), the best or worst game (RE6), and so on. Feel free to talk especially about how garbage RE6 is. But don't spoil this game, it's got lots of fun surprises.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Figurines are unlockable character models that can be collected by performing certain tasks or playing in a certain style. In previous Resident Evil games they were given bottle cap stands or marionette strings to add to their novelty, but in Revelations 2 they function as a straight-up model viewer. I've decided to collect them all and display them here because they're a Resident Evil staple and will allow you, the viewers, to get a better look at the characters! Click on 'em to get a lazy susan version!

:siren:Please note before you scroll down that these are posted in the order they are listed in the game. This means that they will likely be spoilers unless you have finished watching the relevant videos. This includes enemies, characters, and unlockable costumes.:siren:

Also note that some of these might have little visual hiccups because of the process I used to make them, sorry. Just ignore them if you find any.

The unlockables found by opening up all of the military crates and gimmick boxes (as well as beating episodes in Countdown and Invisible Mode) come in the form of concept art. I think the concept art is pretty neat because it shows what the characters COULD have looked like or what they looked like during the initial design phase, compared to the final product. In some cases, like Claire's, you can see that the original character models sometimes looked quite a bit different. These are presented without quips from me and are hosted on Imgur because they're gigantic.

:siren:Please note before you scroll down that these are posted in the order they are listed in the game. This means that they will likely be spoilers unless you have finished watching the relevant videos. This includes enemies, characters, and unlockable costumes.:siren:

Secret Files are another Resident Evil collectible staple. They are story-enhancing, sometimes humorous notes left by the games' characters or written to and from one another. In this game they're unlocked by finding all of the pain in the rear end Kafka drawings, tower medals, et cetera. I suggest you read these, they're all pretty interesting and funny. I have transcribed them all as they are shown in the game.

Stuart's Memo - Claire and Moira 1 posted:

I thought it prudent to keep notes on some of the more promising candidates in this round of experiments. I noticed that subjects no. 2 and no. 6, Claire Redfield and Moira Burton, have been working together since the beginning. My curiosity piqued, I decided to look into these two and found they have a deeper relationship that goes beyond that of just co-workers.

It might be fair to say their friendship has its origins in the Raccoon City Incident back in 1998. Claire, a university student at the time, was one of the few survivors. Meanwhile, her brother Chris Redfield and Moira's father, Barry Burton, were members of the special forces unit S.T.A.R.S. that was involved in the events leading up to the incident. Following Raccoon City, Chris became one of the founding members of the BSAA. Though Barry relocated his family to Canada for safety concerns, he would continue to be an activist against bioterrorism, eventually accepting a position as a BSAA consultant after an invitation from Chris.

It was through Chris that Barry and Claire met, and the three became close, with Barry taking on a mentor-like role to the two parentless siblings.

Claire and Moira would also become friends, leading to Moira's desire to join Terra Save. That is also what landed her on Neil's candidate list. Meeting Claire was less than fortuitous for the young lady.

I find it deliciously ironic. Following the events of Raccoon City, Barry moved his family away to protect them. However, the friends he made during that time would only serve to further put his family in danger.

Stuart's Memo - Claire and Moira 2 posted:

Follow-up on candidates no. 2 and no. 6, Claire Redfield and Moira Burton.

Claire met Moira through her friendship with Moira's father, Barry. Moira looked up to Claire like a big sister, sometimes trusting her more than she did her own father. When Claire joined Terra Save, Moira was determined to do the same, despite strong opposition from her father who tried to keep her away from the dangers of bioterrorism.

It's clear that Moira has a deep level of trust and respect for Claire. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out during the experiment. Will their friendship be able to survive this ordeal? And how will that affect their responses to the experiment? I'm looking forward to watching it all unfold, particularly how these factors contribute to their emotional response, and if they will serve as a trigger for fear.

Stuart's Memo - Chris Redfield posted:

Chris Redfield is the older brother of candidate no. 02, Claire Redfield. He's been at the center of a number of bioterrorist incidents, and more recently is known as the man who killed Albert Wesker.

Chris is a member of the Bioterror Security Assessment Alliance (BSAA). He's one of the "Original Eleven," the name given to the organization's founding members. In 2009 he and the BSAA were a major part of the suppression efforts to contain the bioterror threat in Kijuju, Africa. Here he had a confrontation with Albert Wesker, killing him during the engagement.

Currently he's been spending most of his time at the BSAA North American branch, serving as a team leader to mentor new recruits.

Stuart's Memo - Claire Redfield posted:

Out of the candidates in this current round of testing, No. 02 Claire Redfield displays an extraordinary amount of compassion.

Among the most notable examples is her saving Sherry Birkin from certain death during the Raccoon City Incident. Sherry is the daughter of William Birkin, the scientist who developed the G-Virus. With Sherry having been infected herself, it would have been easy to simply let the child die.

Having become a host for the G-Virus, Sherry was placed under strict government control. Claire continued to care for her, visiting her frequently, and the two developed a friendship that continues to this day. According to my sources, the protective care that Sherry is under will be ending soon, but I was not able to ascertain the reason why.

Another notable example of Claire's compassion is during the Harvardville Incident in 2005. Claire took it upon herself to protect a little girl during the attack, even jumping into an area filled with hostiles without a weapon in order to rescue her.

Claire is also close with candidate No. 6, Moira Burton. Claire is very close to the Burton family. As Claire is an orphan, it seems that Barry has become a father-like figure for her. As such, Claire has developed a sister-like relationship with Barry's two daughters, and Moira in particular. Following a certain incident in the Burton household the relationship between Barry and Moira became strained. As Moira became more rebellious she often turned to Claire for advice and support. Claire has undoubtedly become a figure of admiration and respect for Moira.

With Moira also involved in the experiment it will be interesting to see how her relationship with Claire develops, and what role Claire's compassion will play in her emotional responses. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing it all play out.

Stuart's Memo - Barry Burton posted:

(I've hacked into BSAA North American Branch's servers. I've found the profile of candidate no. 6's father.)

Name: Barry Burton
Blood Type: A
Family: Wife, 2 daughters (Moira, Polly)
Residence: Canada

---

Following the Raccoon City Incident in 1998, he relocated with his family to Canada for their safety, fearing any potential retaliatory attacks from anyone connected to the Umbrella Corporation. Since then he's been living out of the spotlight with his family, occasionally participating in anti-bioterrorism activities. He currently works as a consultant for the BSAA, having accepted the position as an offer from his friends Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine.

Stuart's Memo - Natalia Korda posted:

We have finally found the Master's vessel--candidate No. 9, Natalia Korda. This small, frail little girl will be the key to the Master's future.

Out of curiosity I asked Mr. Fisher for more information on her background.

Natalia is a survivor of the Terragrigia Panic that occurred in 2004. She lost her entire family in the incident. She was rescued by Terra Save, and has lived at one of their facilities ever since.

She was carefully questioned by Terra Save about the incident. There was one answer in particular that was surprising: in regards to the ultraviolet radiation that was used to ultimately destroy the city, Natalia described it as "pretty." The interviewers were surprised that she could find beauty despite being surrounded by death as her home sank to the bottom of the sea.

Mr. Fisher took this response, and combined with her other answers, concluded that Natalia had overcome the emotion of fear. Having observed her during these trials I can agree with his assessment. She willingly walks into life-threatening situations and shows no signs of apprehension or fear. I can theorize that what she experienced in Terragrigia gravely traumatized her, and robbed her of the ability to feel fear.

This little girl is very emotionally strong, which suits the Master's needs. I have concerns, however, that she is too strong.

There is no doubt about her suitability to become the Master's new vessel. But with this strength of conviction, would she be able to repress the Master's psyche from overwriting her own, even after the transfer has been completed?

But I am just a humble servant. Surely the Master has already taken this into consideration. As of now all of the Master's plans have proceeded flawlessly. I have no doubt that this plan will also succeed without incident.

Stuart's Memo - The Wesker Project posted:

The Master's plans are on the eve of their completion. Despite having cut ties with her benefactor, she strives to accomplish his goal of a new world order. I find it somewhat ironic that Albert Wesker worked towards the same goal as well. Hard to believe he met his unfortunate end only two years ago.

His death leaves the Master as the last of the Wesker Project, a project meant to create an advanced breed of humans who would create a new world order. Children were taken from their homes and put through extreme trials in order to forge a new, advanced race. All would perish except for two--specimens 012 and 013, Alex and Albert Wesker.

Albert worked for many years under Spencer's tutelage as a researcher at the Umbrella Corporation. He was successful in creating bio-organic weapons, and played a large part in the Mansion Incident and the subsequent Raccoon City Incident.

Albert would continue to develop B.O.W.s and use them in bioterror incidents. The world would come to know the name of Wesker and tremble in fear at it.

In 2006, with his own plans coming to fruition, Albert confronted Spencer and killed him, deeming his existence unnecessary. Through a partnership with Tricell in 2009, Albert successfully developed the Uroboros virus. As Spencer before him, he planned to use the virus as a method of creating a new breed of human, killing off all who were unworthy in the process. His plans were foiled when he met his unfortunate end at the hands of BSAA agents Chris Redfield and Sheva Alomar.

Though Master Alex is not Albert's blood kin, the two seemed to share a common bond through their experiences and position as the only surviving Wesker Children. Master Alex was deeply saddened at the news of Albert's death. Upon learning of Albert's death, Master Alex called for me. "We must begin our plans for the transfer ceremony. There is no time to waste." Once Master Alex gains immortality she will finish what Albert started. Of course, this all started with Spencer, who wished to create a new world. Though Spencer's dream will come true, it is Master Alex who will realize it.

Alex's Memo - Spencer posted:

On the verge of my plans coming to fruition, I can't help but reminiscence about my past. In particular, the foolish old man who made me who I am.

I speak of course, of Lord Oswell E. Spencer. He had it all. He commanded wealth and power at his fingertips. But it wasn't enough for him. No, he wanted more. He felt this world was in ruin, and that mankind was on a path of ultimate destruction. He wanted to create a new world filled with order. This world would have no use for the weak, foolish masses. He wanted to make a race of advanced humans in a perfect utopia, and he would rule over this new world as its god.

To those ends, he collected gifted children from all over the world. To train their minds and bodies to be the chosen ones for his new world, they were subjected to hellish tests of endurance. And they were injected with a virus, to see if they were truly fit to rise above humanity.

Sadly, most of them weren't. And so they died, one by one, until only two remained. Albert and myself. The last of the Wesker Children.

Spencer placed all his hopes on us. He tasked us with the burden of making him a god. And foolishly, compulsively, we scrambled to follow his orders.

Eventually we both realized that we had zero obligation to obey a stupid, decrepit old man. Our loyalty was a ruse, and we continued our duplicitous use of his vast resources. Eventually, with Albert on the verge of completing his own plans, he snuffed out the old skinflint's life with his bare hands. A fitting end. So now, on the verge of my own triumph, I've come to better understand how Albert must have felt. And maybe even the old man as well.

After all, I am one of the chosen. I am the last one.

The right to become a god is now mine.

Alex's Thoughts on Kafka posted:

As I read Kafka's "The Metamorphosis," I can't help but feel that's it's an autobiographical account of the author's life, with Gregor Samsa representing Kafka himself.

Kafka worked an ordinary job and lived a very mundane life. Despite this he wrote fantastic works filled with madness and despair. His writing was his outlet as he toiled away at everyday life. But his family and friends couldn't understand his works, couldn't relate to him. I'm sure he must have felt lonely, and isolated from the rest of the world.

Kafka would eventually fall ill and spend his final days wasting away in a hospital bed. When his body experienced agonizing pain, his mind was tormented by fear: The fear of death, fear of the unknown, and the fear of isolation. It is this fear, and the emotions born from it, that made Kafka's works so rich, as he could critically examine madness and suffering and make these concepts the driving fore behind his works.

Very few of Kafka's numerous works were published while he lived, and upon his death he left them to a friend with the instructions to burn them, unread. Fortunately that friend saw the value of Kafka's legacy and preserved them for the future, ignoring Kafka's final request. Even today, Kafka's works continue to enchant us with their vivid depictions of fear.

It is that fear that drives us. Compels us. Fear is born from human instinct, and it's the basic emotion that keeps us alive. The fear of death...the fear of failure...fear of isolation and loneliness. Fear is the most powerful motivator. Those who control fear, control life itself.

Though his life came to an abrupt end, Kafka's name lives on through his works on fear and madness. He has obtained the greatest power man can hope to achieve--immortality.

I, too, will harness the power of fear, and infect this hellish world with it. And in the process I will be resurrected as one who has mastered fear. While Kafka merely lives on through his work, my work will help me live on.

E-Mail from Barry to Chris posted:

(I've hacked into the BSAA North American Branch's servers. I'm keeping a copy of this email for my personal records.)

Hey Chris,

I heard you just got back from Africa. Some crazy poo poo went down there. Glad to hear you're OK.

And better yet, you brought Jill back! When I heard the news I was so happy I could've done cartwheels down the streets! Not that my knees would allow for that kind of thing anymore.

I mean, after all the poo poo the three of us have been through... Y'know, we gotta look our for each other, watch each other's backs. But I don't have to tell you the value of having a good partner now, do I?

Well, you just got back so you need some time to recover. Take it easy, you hear? If I hear you're hitting the gym again, I'm gonna come down and kick your rear end personally!

I know things are gonna be a bit crazy for awhile for you and Jill, but when you're both settled in let's all go out for a drink or something. It's been too long.

Barry.

E-Mail from Piers to Claire posted:

Dear Claire,

On behalf of our unit, I just wanted to say it was real nice to get to see you the other day. Thank you for taking the time to talk with everyone. The guys really appreciated it.

I know you were surprised by the men's reaction upon first seeing you. Let me explain. When we heard that Terra Save would be arriving on location, well, the men knew that you'd be coming and so they got a bit excited over the idea. They'd only heard stories about you, and since you're the Captain's sister, well...let's just say they were expecting someone more along the lines of his build. I tried to tell them otherwise, but their imaginations got the best of them.

So then when you arrived...well, aside from not being what they expected, we don't get to interact with a lot of pretty women in our line of work, so that's why they had the reaction that they did. Then they had to remember that you're the Captain's sister, and it made them all awkward... I'm sorry about that, ma'am.

You probably saw it for yourself, but we all have a lot of admiration and respect for the captain. In addition to being a very capable leader, he treats us like family. He's an inspiration to us all.

Speaking for the men, we're all looking forward to the chance to work with you again. Our paths may not cross often, and I know you're busy, but it'd be nice to talk every now and then, even through email. Just between you and me, if you have any pictures of the Captain when he was younger, I'd sure love to see them! I hear he was very different back then, but he won't show us anything...

There's a lot more I'd like to say, but it's time to get ready for our next posting. These missions aren't easy, but it's nice to know we've got allies such as your organization backing us up. Keep fighting the good fight.

1LT Piers Nivans
BSAA North American Branch

E-Mail from Jill to Barry posted:

Hey Barry,

How's it going? I hope you're up to your usual wise-cracking self.

I'm back from Africa. I heard from Chris that after my fight with Wesker, the BSAA listed me officially as KIA, and that you took the news pretty hard.

I'm sorry to have caused you such grief. I'm alive and none the worse for wear! Although I do look a bit different now. Well, you'll see.

So how are Kathy and the girls doing? Have you managed to patch things up with Moira yet? Girls in their teens can be a nightmare to deal with. I know because I used to be one. You just have to be patient and understanding. And sometimes you just have to give them their space. I know you want to protect her, but you have to be sure you don't become overbearing.

But hey, that's just my two cents. I can already hear you saying, "Yeah yeah, I'm the one with the kids." I'll leave it at that. But I do hope you've managed to smooth things over. Since you've become a consultant for the BSAA, well, I don't have to explain the job and its dangers to you. So every minute you can spend with those you love is valuable time.

As for me, ever since getting back I've been locked up in this lab as they run tests on me day in and day out. It's every bit as boring as it sounds. Rehab should be starting soon, so that's something to look forward to. At this point I'd take a battlefield full of B.O.W.s over looking at another test tube again.

We should all meet up when I'm back on my feet again. It'll be blast!

Jill

P.S. I heard I didn't even get a funeral. So that means I should be getting one
hell of a welcome back party...right, Barry? ;)

Fish Noise posted:

What's that? Speak up! There's no need to be shy, the LPs are converging!

LET THE EVOLUTION BEGIN!

...or not. Who threw that?

Oh. Of course.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 6, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Today Claire and Moira get kidnapped, and we begin our descent into a video game with the weirdest obsession with Kafka ever. Youtube lied to me about it being done processing but soon it will be up in 1080p 60 fps if it's not already.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 10, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I suppose I should get around to finally reading some Kafka.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I really enjoyed RE: Revelations 1 when it first came out. I wasn't a major RE fan, but I loved RE 4, and I couldn't help but watch the hot mess of a trainwreck that was RE6 thanks to a pretty great LP of it here: http://lparchive.org/Resident-Evil-6/

I wasn't going to immediately go and get this game, but after checking this out, I think I might just go and pick it up sometime soon.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

XavierGenisi posted:

I wasn't a major RE fan, but I loved RE 4

Everyone loved RE4. It hit the perfect mix of not quite taking itself seriously while still having some tense parts (novistadores, regenerators).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
RE4 is definitely the shining crown of the series for me, at least it was until this game usurped it. I've a deep-rooted love for the original trilogy for sure but like Bruceski said, RE4 hits a great balance between taking itself seriously and not doing so. This game does too I feel, especially with Moira "What in a barrel of fucks" Burton and her angry mouth.

Blind Sally posted:

I suppose I should get around to finally reading some Kafka.

You should, his writing is pretty good. A lot of his stuff is "I'm just gonna waffle on for a while about existential crises but don't worry about it it's still entertaining". The Metamorphosis is a fine place to start if you've never ever read Kafka before; it's not his best work however, even though this game's got the hugest boner for it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Bruceski posted:

Everyone loved RE4.

I didn't like it.

:shrek:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

wait, has the game been completely released now? Or are they still releasing episodes

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The final episode was released a month ago, yes. There are also 2 prequel DLC episodes! I'm not sure what else they have planned for the single player if anything but apparently there's quite a bit more coming for Raid Mode.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yay, bookmarked this instantly. :allears:

CJacobs posted:

The final episode was released a month ago, yes. There are also 2 prequel DLC episodes! I'm not sure what else they have planned for the single player if anything but apparently there's quite a bit more coming for Raid Mode.

Oh wait, really? Did they make an announcement or something? I must have missed it while skimming the RE thread.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

So right off the bat this game is referencing The Trial, a novel where the main character Josef K. gets "prosecuted" without being told why or by whom. Claire and Moira are taken away by men with guns to a place unknown, and there is probably more going on than we are aware of (because it's a Resident Evil game, if nothing else).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Azran posted:

Oh wait, really? Did they make an announcement or something? I must have missed it while skimming the RE thread.

It's mostly been coming through the residentevil.net account link thing within the game itself. Recently they've been doing all kinds of events for Raid Mode that give you unique character costumes and items as a bonus for beating special missions, and they've given no indication they're gonna stop any time soon. I don't think they've been putting out any actual announcements about it though.

Raid mode is pretty fun, by the way! Would the thread be interested in me maybe doing a side thing where I chill out and enjoy some super casual silly zombie shooting RPG action? I was already considering doing it but if people would be interested, hey why not.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

stream it

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Rip Gina, you will live on in raid mode.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

It didn't get truly Resident Evil until the words 'fire-breathing bust' appeared.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I know RE6 was divisive but it nailed the insanity of the plot pretty well. This seems to have a lesser scope but I'm eagerly expecting the zaniness that's sure to follow.
"WE ARE THE MOP" - two minutes in and it's already amazing.

edit: Oh, and I'll take Kafka over the first Revelations' Dante any day.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 10, 2015

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

This is gonna be good.

Been playing this coop. The part where you get the gun we ran into the room they spawned in and I proceeded to knife them all to death while my bf sorta flailed around. We've also stopped looking at in game notes due to the sheer number of ones being Kafka pieces.

Do some raid mode stuff. Really have to show off the sillier stuff in raid mode.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Illuyankas posted:

It didn't get truly Resident Evil until the words 'fire-breathing bust' appeared.

I dunno, "Terra doesn't have to end with...erist." is pretty much the dumbest, best tagline ever.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

When I first played Resident Evil 6, I knew that it was a Resident Evil game when Leon and Helena opened a door with simultaneous spin kicking.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

anilEhilated posted:

I"WE ARE THE MOP" - two minutes in and it's already amazing.
The unflinching mop. Because some cleaning implements lack the necessary fortitude for their kind of work.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Fish Noise posted:

The unflinching mop. Because some cleaning implements lack the necessary fortitude for their kind of work.

Those filthy feather dusters always bend under pressure.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I am incredibly sad that there is no online multiplayer mode for the PC version. I would actually buy this game just to Co-op as the flashlight-wielding cursing crowbar lady.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Shei-kun posted:

I am incredibly sad that there is no online multiplayer mode for the PC version. I would actually buy this game just to Co-op as the flashlight-wielding cursing crowbar lady.
There is though. It's just limited to raid mode like in the first game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Niggurath posted:

There is though. It's just limited to raid mode like in the first game.

Yeah but they were talking about campaign. Raid mode gets rid of all of the co-op mechanics! I do mention that Raid mode has co-op in the first Raid mode video though, which is uploading now! :toot:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Oh hey, I'm right in the middle of playing this myself. I think I'm somewhere in the second episode. I have to admit though... so far I'm not really enjoying it. I'm finding that I have to make myself go play it, sort of in the hopes that it improves.

I think a lot of it is down to problems with the PC port:

- Can't disable mouse acceleration. (Feels a bit like someone is jogging my elbow when I'm trying to aim.)
- Can't adjust FOV.
- Letterboxing in 16:10 aspect ratio.
- Disabling letterboxing via config file makes your shots go somewhere below where the crosshair is indicating.
- Weirdness with keybinds; some functions can't be rebound, some can't be bound in certain ways, some mouse buttons aren't recognised, etc.
- Other assorted "this was designed for gamepads and not ported properly" weirdness with the controls.
- Defaulting to very low resolution and quality and not letting you change any settings until after the intro plays for the first time and dumps you in the game.
- There's also the no online co-op on PC thing, but barring the old days when my friends and I had time to get together for LAN parties, I prefer singleplayer anyway.

The player feedback stuff isn't great, either. "Did I miss the hitbox for that zombie's head or is it just not playing the shot-in-the-head pain animation this time?" "Am I actually doing damage to this mid-boss enemy or is there some trick to it that I'm missing?" It's all really muddy. RE4 (and 5 and even 6) were all really good with this stuff!

I was also very fond of the power progression in RE4 and 5 with gradually upgrading weapons - and very not-fond of the different direction they chose in RE6 for 'levelling up'. This game seems a bit better than RE6 in that regard, but nowhere near as fun as RE4/5.

I mean, I love RE4. It remains the only game I've ever bought on more than one system. First the original Gamecube version to play on my then-housemate's Wii, and later the original, absolutely appalling PC port that required several hacks to make playable (including one to actually enable mouse aiming). I may even end up buying it a third time to get the new, apparently-not-awful PC port.

I like RE5 too - more than the average person seems to, anyway. It had a good PC port!

No-one like RE6.

Revelations 2 - possibly the most :effort: title I've ever heard - had some good reviews, so I thought maybe they'd learned after RE6, and it'd be worth a try. It's just not fun so far, though. At the same time I do sort of want to know what happens, so I dunno... I may end up just watching this LP instead. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Welcome to Raid Mode! Let's kick back, relax, and kill some zombies. This video serves as a primer for Raid Mode and its mechanics and will be posted alongside the first actual Raid Mode update. It's not live, but the rest will be!

You know it's gonna be a long series when you have to put a '0' in front of the first digit in the episode number.

Raid Mode is Revelations 2's replacement for the Mercenaries gamemode featured in almost every previous Resident Evil game. It uses a special RPG-like mission based system to add replay value and incentive to play it a lot. These videos will be VERY lax commentary-wise and are mostly here to give you something to watch in the background while you do other things or whathaveyou, since the standard game requires you to pay attention. These videos are for people who wanna relax and laugh along with me as I blow up a bajillion zombies and run through maps from Resident Evil games young and old with a whole slew of bombastic fuckoff weapons.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Antistar01 posted:

Oh hey, I'm right in the middle of playing this myself. I think I'm somewhere in the second episode. I have to admit though... so far I'm not really enjoying it. I'm finding that I have to make myself go play it, sort of in the hopes that it improves.

-#pc port problems-

The player feedback stuff isn't great, either. "Did I miss the hitbox for that zombie's head or is it just not playing the shot-in-the-head pain animation this time?" "Am I actually doing damage to this mid-boss enemy or is there some trick to it that I'm missing?" It's all really muddy. RE4 (and 5 and even 6) were all really good with this stuff!

I was also very fond of the power progression in RE4 and 5 with gradually upgrading weapons - and very not-fond of the different direction they chose in RE6 for 'levelling up'. This game seems a bit better than RE6 in that regard, but nowhere near as fun as RE4/5.

I think these are some fair complaints. I disagree that it's not as fun as RE4 because while I do think that game is the 'best' in the series, it's extremely annoying to actually play it because of the controls imo. I like the FOV in this game because it's not super claustrophobic but being able to change it or at least switch shoulders or something would be a worthy addition in certain situations. Enemy feedback is a different beast altogether I feel, there have been quite a few times where I've gone up to an enemy that I thought was stunned for a physical attack but they were actually just reeling from being shot, and then they recovered before I could back off and I took a hit. This game lacks the real-time enemy gore of the previous games in the series and I feel like that's made it a bit harder to tell when you're doing good damage. That said, i will never ever get tired of spin-kicking zombies off of cliffs. :v:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I went nuts with this game and got S ranks on every difficulty as well as all collectibles, medals, achievements and records. Even cleared every raid mode stage.

Claire and Barry are my two favorite characters in the series and I love the direction they took this game. Barry has all the amazing dialogue in this that I ever hoped for.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

You said Garand, but isn't that a Mosin/Springfield rifle? The Garand wasn't bolt action :v:

That aside, I'm enjoying the Raid Mode videos a lot. Pretty chill background listening.

Azran fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Apr 11, 2015

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Raid Mode is extremely my poo poo, but you (or at least I) need some good tunes for this sort of thing. I've been listening to a couple songs alongside the Raid videos, such as Rave On (the stairs song) from Killer7, Chosen by the Moon from Killer is Dead, Milk Barn from Deadly Premonition, and the entirety of the Sonic4ever Sonic Adventures 2 Greatest Hits Revisited album.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Azran posted:

You said Garand, but isn't that a Mosin/Springfield rifle? The Garand wasn't bolt action :v:

That aside, I'm enjoying the Raid Mode videos a lot. Pretty chill background listening.

Oops you're right, I don't know gun names. I'm sure I knew deep inside what I actually wanted to say, but I'm dumb so I said the wrong thing.

edit: Oh, it's the 'M1' in the weapon's name that did it. I did not give my brain enough time to think before speaking. Herp derp.

tlarn posted:

Raid Mode is extremely my poo poo, but you (or at least I) need some good tunes for this sort of thing. I've been listening to a couple songs alongside the Raid videos, such as Rave On (the stairs song) from Killer7, Chosen by the Moon from Killer is Dead, Milk Barn from Deadly Premonition, and the entirety of the Sonic4ever Sonic Adventures 2 Greatest Hits Revisited album.

The raid mode music is cool and energetic but it gets old a bit fast, so I was thinking of either a) leaving the music off during raid mode videos or b) leaving it off and replacing it with music of my own choice. The upside of putting in my own music is that it'd be good to have variation, but the downside is that I may get slapped with copyright notices or whathaveyou. I think what I'll do is, I'll put in my own music unless copyright claims prove too much of a hassle, then I'll just leave the music off so people can listen to whatever they want if they want to do so.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 11, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've actually got one of those Mosin-Nagant 91/30s myself, made in 1938 at Tula. It weighs about 9-10 pounds unloaded with the bayonet and sling attached and it often has seemingly random difficulties locking and unlocking the bolt (you'll suddenly need to pull with all your might to turn the handle) and the only thing cushioning the recoil against your shoulder is a steel plate, but just about any malfunction will be your own drat fault and you can literally use it as a spear with the bayonet.

This game doesn't give you a bayonet for it, does it? Because they really need to let you stab zombies through the skull with it.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!

chitoryu12 posted:

difficulties locking and unlocking the bolt

You'll want to pick that bolt apart and let it sit in turpentine for a day or so. There's probably some crap stuck in somewhere. Possibly even in the chamber.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
I absolutely love this game. The episodic content was a great fit for a Resident Evil story. The plots are already nuts, why not had some drama to it by adding cliffhanger endings every week? The game plays really well too, doesn't feel too clunky. Looking forward to watching someone else play through it.

My one complaint with the game though is Moira and the excessive amount of F-bombs that she drops. Just seems really out of place.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Did you play much of Jake's campaign? And is he playable in Raid mode with his RE6 moveset, cause he was ballin' in melee

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

- Nevermind, I am dumb. :downs:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hunk is the greatest efficient, faceless mook ever.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

CJacobs posted:

The raid mode music is cool and energetic but it gets old a bit fast, so I was thinking of either a) leaving the music off during raid mode videos or b) leaving it off and replacing it with music of my own choice. The upside of putting in my own music is that it'd be good to have variation, but the downside is that I may get slapped with copyright notices or whathaveyou. I think what I'll do is, I'll put in my own music unless copyright claims prove too much of a hassle, then I'll just leave the music off so people can listen to whatever they want if they want to do so.

Oh I meant more for personal play than for the Let's Play, but if you wanna do that, it's cool. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh, I thought 'you' meant me doing the LP, not 'you' as in the nebulous 'you' of people that play the game. Herp derp again. :downs:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 11, 2015

• Locked thread