Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW
if you don't agree then lol @ your artistic discernment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOi9hHjmYq4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
It's on Netflix. Also, you can see there are no fish floating in that tank, they are all fake fish just sitting at the bottom of the tank that get pushed out by the water.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
That's not the secure room scene

SHARTING BEAR
Sep 27, 2004

isnt the first one the bad one

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
pretty harsh to brutally murder that civilian imo

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW
Mainstream action thrillers have only gotten dumber since that first M:I film. The film's plot is simple and easily comprehensible but Jay Leno kept making jokes about how that film was convoluted and hard to follow years after the film's release, jokes which always got laughs. I guess a lot of people found the movie to be confusing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
THOSE DAMNED GIDEONS

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

SHARTING BEAR posted:

Nah, the second one is the bad one. Although it did give us Hugh Jackman as Wolverine so it's not all bad.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The first one is okay, the second one is stupid as gently caress but pretty entertaining, i cant remember the third or fourth ones but at some point in them he climbs a building and puts on a facemask

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
All the movies are good, in that they are an oddity to normal franchises because they bend their series to the directors instead of the other way.

That being said, OP is right. Best scene.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The movie-era IMF is more incompetent and full of moles and traitors than CTU. The real Jim Phelps would never have put up with that poo poo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

ZergFluid posted:

if you don't agree then lol @ your artistic discernment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOi9hHjmYq4

So, so wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoLPbSok79U

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

that scene must have sucked without the tunes added

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zzulu posted:

The first one is okay, the second one is stupid as gently caress but pretty entertaining, i cant remember the third or fourth ones but at some point in them he climbs a building and puts on a facemask

The 4th one is the best in the series.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The 4th one is the best in the series.

What Spaceman said - I'm curious how bad the dropoff is going to be without Brad Bird at the helm.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Actually it's the scene where Tom Cruise sprints directly at the camera.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Let's see:

-copious Dutch angle closeups: check
-Danny elfman score: check
-over the top hammy performances: check
-use of weird technology that makes no sense: check
-fish: check
-Tom cruise running: check

Yep, it checks out. Best scene.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Also on a rewatch I got annoyed that Skyfall blatantly reused the tired "list of agents got stolen" plot

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Colonel Whitey posted:

Also on a rewatch I got annoyed that Skyfall blatantly reused the tired "list of agents got stolen" plot

You think M:I was the first thing to use that?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Every IM film has at least like a few really memorable scenes which is more than you can say for most action movies?

1: Mole/fishtank, secure room scene is still loving baller to this day, final train sequence Jon Voight gets crushed under a helicopter
2: Memorable here maybe not such a good thing between dueling bikes and doves outta nowhere
3: Never seen it, someone post one
4: Kremlin projector, scaling the Burj, throwing the spy outta the Burj, chase through a sandstorm

Good movies. Although apparently the original IM cast fuckin' hated the first one because it made Jim the bad guy.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Yeah the first one is the only good one because BRIAN DE PALMA.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Sentinel Red posted:

Although it did give us Hugh Jackman as Wolverine so it's not all bad.

Explain.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The part where the guy gets smushed in the elevator has given me nightmares my entire life.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Why do all the upstairs fish tanks smash as well? Was that a load-bearing fish tank that Cruise exploded?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Dougray Scott was cast as Wolverine in X-Men but the M:I 2 shoot went on longer than expected so he had to drop out, resulting in Hugh Jackman being cast at the last minute.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Scaling the building in Dubai was really loving harrowing, more so because we all saw those news articles where Tom really did it. Mission Impossible actually got better as it went along, I think.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

gently caress those fish man just gently caress'em

fuckin fish

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

ZergFluid posted:

Mainstream action thrillers have only gotten dumber since that first M:I film. The film's plot is simple and easily comprehensible but Jay Leno kept making jokes about how that film was convoluted and hard to follow years after the film's release, jokes which always got laughs. I guess a lot of people found the movie to be confusing.

The plot isn't difficult to understand, but the scene in which Jim Phelps tells his story while we see what really happened can be a bit confusing, since you're seeing and hearing two different things.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Pedro De Heredia posted:

The plot isn't difficult to understand, but the scene in which Jim Phelps tells his story while we see what really happened can be a bit confusing, since you're seeing and hearing two different things.

I mean, if you're 8 or 80 years old maybe it could be. The scene is Phelps telling his bullshit story while Ethan works out what really happened in his head. Every time a shot of the real events is shown, it cuts back to a close up of Ethan to make that extra clear. People suck at watching movies I guess, I dunno.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SHARTING BEAR posted:

they're all the bad one

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Every time I watch the third one two things happen:

1) I like the movie and have an enjoyable time watching it.

2) I completely forget everything about it 5 minutes after the movie is over.

Strangest drat thing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I don't get it, none of the scenes listed are the one where Keri Russell's brain gets exploded from the inside mid-sentence and her face goes all :downs:

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

raditts posted:

I don't get it, none of the scenes listed are the one where Keri Russell's brain gets exploded from the inside mid-sentence and her face goes all :downs:

You just reminded me that Keri Russell and this scene were in the movie.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I agree because

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

MI:4 is the best one far and away. And as memorable as the Burj Khalifa sequence is (it was awesome in IMAX) the scene with the screen in the Kremlin was perfect in every single way. Tense, funny, and you got to see cool gadgets that weren't just Q ex machina like in some Bonds.

Fiberoptic Fable
Sep 6, 2011
Hell Gem
The best scene in the franchise is the opening to Mission: Impossible 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLNUIU7AzTg

Sadly that is also the highpoint of the whole movie.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Solemn Lemons posted:

The best scene in the franchise is the opening to Mission: Impossible 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLNUIU7AzTg

Sadly that is also the highpoint of the whole movie.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Every time I watch the third one two things happen:

1) I like the movie and have an enjoyable time watching it.

2) I completely forget everything about it 5 minutes after the movie is over.

Strangest drat thing.

I always forget that PSH is the villain in MI3 and he does such a goddamn good job of it, all the scenes with him are just gold. But the rest of the movie is so forgettable. It's like a two hour long episode of Alias.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I always forget that PSH is the villain in MI3 and he does such a goddamn good job of it, all the scenes with him are just gold. But the rest of the movie is so forgettable. It's like a two hour long episode of Alias.

It's full of things that should be awesome that are somehow just cool. A helicopter being chased by another helicopter through wind turbines while trying to stop someone's brain exploding should be amazing. Instead it's just "that was cool"

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

It's full of things that should be awesome that are somehow just cool. A helicopter being chased by another helicopter through wind turbines while trying to stop someone's brain exploding should be amazing. Instead it's just "that was cool"

This is kinda the Abrams problem at heart: he doesn't quite have the innate capability to take ridiculous amazing ideas and come out with them being ridiculous amazing scenes, they just come out as "cool!" scenes. They're not bad scenes, and not bad movies that he makes; they just always show a huge amount of potential and he always gets about 75% of the way there and you're left still wanting on some level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

they're all the bad one

ghost protocol is alright

• Locked thread