Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Ghost Protocol was what got me back into the Mission Impossible series after I hated MI:2. I do remember it having a really weak villain however. It wasn't the actor or anything, I just remember the character he played being bland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I mean, if you're 8 or 80 years old maybe it could be. The scene is Phelps telling his bullshit story while Ethan works out what really happened in his head. Every time a shot of the real events is shown, it cuts back to a close up of Ethan to make that extra clear. People suck at watching movies I guess, I dunno.

It's not really age-related, seeing something and hearing something different at the same time can cause confusion for people, it works differently for everyone.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

Chieves posted:

MI:4 is the best one far and away. And as memorable as the Burj Khalifa sequence is (it was awesome in IMAX) the scene with the screen in the Kremlin was perfect in every single way. Tense, funny, and you got to see cool gadgets that weren't just Q ex machina like in some Bonds.

MI:3 is way way cooler than MI:4, it's heaps underrated. Better scenarios, better visuals (I loved the grainy bleach bypass effect, like Minority Report), better plot, better villain, better special effects. Philip Hoffman chewed up all his scenes and the bridge sequence was awesome "there's a G36 in the trunk!". Also it has the highest Tom Cruise Run Factor™ of any of his films I think. Great dips and twists too, like the lip reading bit. I thought MI:4 was so lame and sanitised in comparison.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The second one is basically Goldeneye (with a lot of License to Kill in it), since John Woo was supposed to direct Goldeneye at one point. As a weird James Bond movie with Tom Cruise in it, it's ok, plus it has a really good score and some really good looking scenes.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Doves in an underground bunker thou.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Pierson posted:

Doves in an underground bunker thou.

It's John Woo, doves should be expected at any time or place.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

psyman posted:

MI:3 is way way cooler than MI:4, it's heaps underrated. Better scenarios, better visuals (I loved the grainy bleach bypass effect, like Minority Report), better plot, better villain, better special effects. Philip Hoffman chewed up all his scenes and the bridge sequence was awesome "there's a G36 in the trunk!". Also it has the highest Tom Cruise Run Factor™ of any of his films I think. Great dips and twists too, like the lip reading bit. I thought MI:4 was so lame and sanitised in comparison.

I dunno, Tom Cruise racing a sandstorm is pretty good Tom Cruise Running action.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

psyman posted:

I agree that 3 is the best overall. 4 had some really good stuff but 3 felt more satisfying as a whole and benefits from a really memorable villain. The amount of Tom Cruise running and being slammed into things combined with some taught direction and good "heist" sequences I guess you'd call them, all really puts it as the perfect marriage of 1 and 2.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
M:I3 was the weakest because while things like never finding out what the MacGuffin actually is, skipping over a heist to have Cruise just come running out of a building with the prize in his hand, and having the main villain get randomly killed by a car mid-fight might be hilarious post-modern jokes if you're the writer, they're pretty underwhelming as a viewer.

Ghost Protocol's villain was unmemorable, but the rest of the movie was great.

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
4th one was good to see because Cruise went from super competent to pseudo competent. He misjudges every distance he has to jump, lands awkwardly and fails doing what he plans to do, a lot. There's a sort of karma/pathos in it (and other recent movies he has done) where he is no longer playing the flawless action hero, and the smugness he tries to maintain throughout pays off well. It feels like he has gained self awareness, grown as an actor, and is happy making fun of his former super intense self.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Edge of Tomorrow actively took advantage of his punchable face as visual shorthand and used "watch Tom Cruise die over and over again" as a selling point, and he didn't notably get sore about it. I would definitely say he's gotten self-aware.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Edge of Tomorrow actively took advantage of his punchable face as visual shorthand and used "watch Tom Cruise die over and over again" as a selling point, and he didn't notably get sore about it. I would definitely say he's gotten self-aware.

Also Jack Reacher kinda jokes with the audience about Cruise as the ultimate male figure. Women can't take their eyes off him in a way that's overtly comical.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Rosamund Pike yelling at him in the middle of an exposition scene to put his drat shirt on is probably one of the funniest lines in the movie.

Also how her shirt/blouse necklines get progressively lower and lower the more time she spends around him.

Also how every person he beats up all the way until he fights Jai Courtney in a surprisingly accurate recreation of the climax of Lethal Weapon is basically idiotic petty criminals.

Everyone and everything in Jack Reacher is in on the joke and they know it's funnier straight-faced, and that's why it's awesome.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Darko posted:

The second one is basically Goldeneye (with a lot of License to Kill in it), since John Woo was supposed to direct Goldeneye at one point. As a weird James Bond movie with Tom Cruise in it, it's ok, plus it has a really good score and some really good looking scenes.

The second is great if only for the fact that John Woo thought the idea of jamming a sex scene in was too boring so he replaced it with a sexually tense, slow motion car chase.

Also liked the bit near the end with the masks, that was the best kind of absurd.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Luminous Obscurity posted:

The second is great if only for the fact that John Woo thought the idea of jamming a sex scene in was too boring so he replaced it with a sexually tense, slow motion car chase.

Also liked the bit near the end with the masks, that was the best kind of absurd.

It also has the completely bizarre scene where he's about to detroy the virus, remembers how important the virus is to destroy, hesitates, then gets interrupted entirely because he hesitated. It's like they had some memo to include a flashback scene, and so did without realising what those are for.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I can never dislike a John Woo movie simply because he always does crazy poo poo like that. Paycheck is probably the only boring movie he's made, and, well, look at the title.

e: it is a little sad that he's gone to pretty much exclusively making period dramas on the mainland nowadays, though. Kinda wish he'd make another batshit low-budget actioner like The Killer or Hard Boiled, I think the cinematic landscape is coming back around to those kind of movies being viable.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 21, 2015

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Finally saw Mission Impossible 3 last night and it was pretty good. Not as good as 4 but better than 2. The movie did kind of seem bogged down with Ethan's marriage at some points and while I understood why they went that direction, the scenes just felt kind of shoddy.

Also, I don't know if it's just me, but J.J Abrams doesn't seem to be able to direct gun fights. The one at the beginning of the movie felt all over the place and the one near the end of Star Trek was the same way.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
Mission Impossible was about the US secretly overthrowing 3rd and 2nd world governments without them even knowing the US was involved. The "IMF" wasn't even a sanctioned US agency for extra plausible denial.

It wasn't about loving moles or spy lists or traitors or super villains or the personal lives of the agents.

But the movies were too lame to follow that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

PowerBuilder3 posted:

Mission Impossible was about the US secretly overthrowing 3rd and 2nd world governments without them even knowing the US was involved. The "IMF" wasn't even a sanctioned US agency for extra plausible denial.

It wasn't about loving moles or spy lists or traitors or super villains or the personal lives of the agents.

The movies were made after it became super uncool to acknowledge that the US actively worked against democracy when it suited them. Not only do Americans not want to be reminded of such things, the international box office sure isn't going to be helped by a bunch of plots where the US Government overthrows the governments of other nations on a whim.

Changing it to a super spy agency is both more acceptable and profitable. Plus it doesn't bring up awkward discussions of why exactly Iran doesn't like the U.S.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

PowerBuilder3 posted:

Apart from Phelps (and Briggs before him), the IMF members weren't even professional spies in the TV show. Rollin was an actor, Willy a strongman, Barney the boss of an electronics company, Cinammon a model, etc. Jim would pull their 10x8s out of his briefcase every week, occasionally adding an expert in something (safecracking, diamonds, being George Takei, whatever), and off they'd go. You have to wonder what they got out of putting their lives at risk with no legal or diplomatic recourse.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I didn't realize that a new Mission Impossible was coming out this year. Although I am kind of annoyed that Jeremy Renner is returning. Guy reminds me of Sam Worthington in that he is largely bland.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Wrong dude, Jeremy Renner, he is great

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Some would say "the best human" and while yes, I would agree, that's not politic to say, nowadays.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Harime Nui posted:

Some would say "the best human" and while yes, I would agree, that's not politic to say, nowadays.

This wouldn't be true even if Ving Rhames wasn't in the film. Ving Rhames owns.

space-man
Jan 3, 2007
a man, like any other... but in space!
all i remember about mi3 was it had 3 endings like one right after the other.
i havent seen it in a while so i might be mistaken on the details but i remember it going
they kill the bad guy.. fade to black
they're chilling at the docks, everyone has a drink and some gay "we won" "you won" "you're my bro, bro!" dialogue then they leave or something and his wife arrives and they look at eachother.. eyes meet... fade to black
they're at their office / base and everyone gives a slow clap - fade to black

a loving slow clap..

i thought mi3 was terrible.
my order goes

4 should really be above 2 but i love just how ridiculous mi2 actually is.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

space-man posted:

all i remember about mi3 was it had 3 endings like one right after the other.
i havent seen it in a while so i might be mistaken on the details but i remember it going
they kill the bad guy.. fade to black
they're chilling at the docks, everyone has a drink and some gay "we won" "you won" "you're my bro, bro!" dialogue then they leave or something and his wife arrives and they look at eachother.. eyes meet... fade to black
they're at their office / base and everyone gives a slow clap - fade to black

a loving slow clap..

i thought mi3 was terrible.
my order goes

4 should really be above 2 but i love just how ridiculous mi2 actually is.

That's the 4th one. The 3rd one ends with Ethan's wife shocking him after she kills the traitor then him telling her what he does for a living.

Wabbit
Aug 22, 2002

Have you any figs, Sir?
I like the bit in part 3 where PSH correctly predicts that Ethan will have performed some ridiculous high-wire stunt to get into a high-security building instead of simply walking in the front door and shooting the guards, because that is just the Ethan Hunt way of doing things.

I also like the absurd finale of part 1 where Ethan somehow leaps off a speeding bullet train onto a helicopter, and then back off the helicopter and onto the train.

vvv oh poo poo, you're right. It is MI2. They are blending in my mind apparently vvv

Wabbit fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 31, 2015

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Wabbit posted:

I like the bit in part 3 where PSH correctly predicts that Ethan will have performed some ridiculous high-wire stunt to get into a high-security building instead of simply walking in the front door and shooting the guards, because that is just the Ethan Hunt way of doing things.

Dougray Scott does the same thing in part two.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

blackguy32 posted:

That's the 4th one.

No, that was the 4th one, then followed by the ending to the 3rd one for some reason.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The best part about the old MI show is that whey they are all planning their roles, all the guys get really cool things to do, like one dude gets to put on a disguise and infiltrate, another guy gets to use diamonds to crack a safe, and the other guy has to fight all the henchmen, but CINNAMON JONES just gets to drive the get away car up to the backdoor, but once the men get there she has to scootch over and let them drive.

In another episode she gets to pick up their dry cleaning.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
MI3 would have sucked if it wasn't for Phillip Seymour Hoffman (RIP) who brought the film to another level.

Oh, and true story: Dougray Scott would have been Wolverine if the filming for MI2 didn't clash with X-Men.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Cinammon Carter. :spergin:

Though she got to be the team leader who got the tape message in one episode because the actor who played Briggs refused to climb a ladder on camera and got suspended. True story!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Payndz posted:

Best name, worst job. :smith:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Payndz posted:

Though she got to be the team leader who got the tape message in one episode because the actor who played Briggs refused to climb a ladder on camera and got suspended. True story!

So she gets to check their messages in one episode, but only as a direct punishment for a male character.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Not saying this excuses them, but if memory serves there were at least a handful of episodes where Cinnamon did infiltration stuff or used some of Landau's supermasks or things like that. It's been a while since I've watched the show, though.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Payndz posted:

M:I3 was the weakest because while things like never finding out what the MacGuffin actually is, skipping over a heist to have Cruise just come running out of a building with the prize in his hand, and having the main villain get randomly killed by a car mid-fight might be hilarious post-modern jokes if you're the writer, they're pretty underwhelming as a viewer.

Ghost Protocol's villain was unmemorable, but the rest of the movie was great.

This for me was one of the most (intentionally?) hilarious parts of the movie - In the previous movie the big action set piece was Hunt infiltrating a building, we were treated to a dramatic showdown, some espionage, and a big John Woo shootout before he makes his escape. So now in the 3rd movie everything is gearing up like we're about to get all of that times ten since we have a desperate Hunt with his wife's life on the line, and instead of the action we cut to... Hunt just falling out of a window half assed and barely managing not to die.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

imho the scene with the CIA breakin was still the best and most memorable of them all.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

Michaellaneous posted:

imho the scene with the CIA breakin was still the best and most memorable of them all.

And as we now know the most laughable, when a low level IT guy can just download all the info they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Motorcycle joust transitioning into leaping grapple and then both men somehow flying off the side of a cliff at the same time while their bikes explode. To begin the fight.

• Locked thread