Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Ooh this looks very interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
submitting my n1 scum kill for MCED on account of LessWhacky :argh:

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Whew, ok, finally got in front of a computer, gonna read through the thread now.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Soooo I feel pretty confident that Somber is being an idiot but is town.

I think imgay's claim (if serious) was strangely premature and their chattiness was indeed notable but I don't know if either thing sways me about their alignment.

JakeP, on the other hand, going so far overboard defending imgay, really has me sitting up and taking notice. I could see it being due to a strong belief that Somber is scum, but Jake isn't voting for Somber. So it reads to me much more like a scum buddying up to a townie and/or trying to set up townie cred in the case that Somber manages to drive a lynch. I would say it is: yucky. ##vote JakeP

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
I also really dislike this post:

chaoslord posted:

Unironically agree with this

##vote imgay

which came on the heels of (and quoted):

Somberbrero posted:

Hi Merk.

imgay scumclaimed. You should lunch anyone who scumclaims, even as a joke. It's not a normal, town reaction to pressure.

imgay stopped pushing you once he was called out on voting you. I think imgay would say that his vote was a joke, but it was not. There was clearly serious traction behind voting you.

I would also vote chaoslord.

If you click the link, you'll notice that chaoslord cut the "I would also vote chaoslord" out of their quote while hopping on the imgay bandwagon, it very subtly distances them from each other/shifts pressure off chaoslord.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

JakeP posted:

is this even a thing

merk scum or maybe had a stroke and is literally retarded now

Please don't use slurs in my Internet party game, thank you very much in advance :hfive:

Also tell us who your scumbuddies are

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Somberbrero posted:

these ideas seem incongruous?

1. Somber is town, an idiot.

2. imgay is behaving strangely, unclear as to alignment.

3. jake is scum based on imgay flipping town.

if i'm an idiot then fair enough, but you're noticing the same problems that I had with imgay, so it is weird that you think i'm an idiot?

are you confused about imgay's role claim? that seem unambiguously serious to me.

your argument for jake is pointless when imgay is still alive. it also bothers me that you think that because jake and i disagree on another player, he should be voting me.

I'd like to hear more from chaos.

I don't see myself as having the same issues with imgay as you, or at least not the ones that you were pushing that led to them claiming in the first place. That they're posting more than I've seen them do in the past isn't even a "problem" it's just an observation that others might not be in a position to make. In general, if I know/think something that may or may not be useful, I'm going to just say it and let folks figure out whether it's meaningful to them.

The claim is a problem, since obviously a disproportionate reaction to pressure is never a good thing, but I'm not about to hop on a bandwagon over that alone. Rereading it, I do agree that it was serious, I just want to stay out of the false binary of "the claim was bad because it was a scum on tilt" vs "the claim was bad because it was a townie being dumb".

You're misinterpreting my read on Jake, also. I'm trying to figure out why Jake is so vociferously defending someone. They can't have an n0 investigation or some kind of daycop, they can only be masons if imgay is lying about their role, so as far as I can tell Jake just has to be independently positive that imgay isn't scum AND have some reason to continually speak for him. That's not town play imo.

Also, I'd like to hear more from Little Mac and Met if we're going to be calling people out for lack of content.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Somberbrero posted:

Your post implies that you are unsure as to Gay's alignment. However, your case on Jake is predicated on the idea that Gay is town. So that's confusing.

No it's not, I am saying that JakeP's play makes most sense to me if he is scum and imgay is town, whereas imgay's play doesn't give me a strong push in either direction. Obviously if we get information to either confirm or deny part of that hypothesis then the other part would need to be re-evaluated, I'm not trying to make a syllogism here.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

JakeP posted:

Also thats not even true, EVERYONE HAS A NIGHT ACTION, but may also have passive ability like mason or miller. If you call imgay a liar for not claiming mason you have to call Merk a super liar for claiming miller

This is a good point, that was a bad assumption on my part.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Zetsubou-san posted:

That's some good thinking, but I'm still not seeing how this helps town in any way. The only way I can think of is if the busdriver can self-target for one side of the bus, but even then it even then it makes no sense to queue up so many actions at random. And being close to first to resolve is nice, but not super critical, since you would be targeting a person, not their action.

summary of my thoughts

if [kb is town busdriver] and telling truth about [10 actions] -> bad town play, better to be rid of him so town powers work and people get good info
if [kb is town] and also some [useless non-busdriver role] -> :shrug: We keep him around as town mascot, i guess. I now think this
if he lied about both the number of actions and then the utility of his role -> this is true :psyduck: In Front Of Me tier stuff, bravo. I apologise if I messed up some kingly scheme, here.
if he's scum -> :redhammer:

I'm willing to wave through a false

Even if a busdriver targets people, they probably wouldn't bus them for actions submitted prior to the bus. So, any bus driver would need to also give the exact time of their action lest the gently caress things up even more. Preloading everything at the very beginning would probably simplify things. I'm also pretty sure the idea that we should knowingly hang a town busdriver is incredibly stupid, though since no one has claimed that role it's neither here nor there I guess.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Somberbrero posted:

I guess I'm today's lunch candidate and my role isn't very crucial, so I'll go ahead and claim. I'm a Hater, I'm make dudes -1 to lunch. I guess there are townie applications but it definitely seems like more of a scum role than anything.

You said you've queued up a bunch of actions, right? Who are your targets?

I still think your play has been town-minded, so I hope we're going to look other places. Do you still think imgay is the best candidate? Has chaoslord satisfied your desire for more content?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Somberbrero posted:

I'm real confused about why anyone wants to lunch me. Ernie and Narco are voting me because I'm me, I think?

I actually really dislike Narco's vote on you, it seemed incredibly opportunistic. Like she(?) was basically looking for an excuse. Do y'all have bad blood or something to explain that or what?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
I don't think is useful, really, but I enjoy theorycrafting about roles so:

You can think of Somber's claimed power as basically a vote that you cast during the night and then can't change for the rest of the day. As such, I don't see what value you gain from pre-determining that vote all the way at the beginning of the game. But on the other hand, in a game like this where there are probably several abilities that affect targeting, there's a decent argument to be made for taking all possible precautions to avoid the ability going awry. Ultimately it's a question of what sort of risks you prefer to take. I do definitely think it's reasonable to claim early, and to always submit/claim your action pre-hammer in case you get nightkilled.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

MC Eating Disorder posted:

I don't personally think it was that strong and I don't really expect it to have much momentum in D2 unless none of our night actions do anything useful at all, but for me it was just a really weak case on Jake P and the fact they never bothered to take the vote off despite never really following up on it felt weird to me

I still thought they were the scummiest, but given that the town dislikes my case enough to get reasonably close to killing me for it, I didn't see how it would help to stomp my feet and scream. And it's not like anyone else had any significant momentum behind them. Now, though...

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I just got home from rehearsal. Sorry. I'm leaving my vote on somber.

What purpose does this serve? What's your case on Somber besides "don't like his case on imgay"? What makes you presumably think I have a better than average chance of being town? You told us you were going to go back and re-read (twice!) but still haven't really contributed anything. This post feels like someone who doesn't have a justification for voting me OR Somber, because you're not really authentically hunting scum, and figured that doing nothing was the easiest way to stay inconspicuous.

Will probably vote Anon to start d2. Would still cuddle Jake or chaoslord. Would still like the lurkers to post, but whatreyagonnado.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

chaoslord posted:

Oh, also his case on me pinged my radar. Maybe I'm being too sensitive because it's about me, I'll admit that's possible. This first post wasn't made until after the hammer but I need to ask him about it anyway so real quick,

So far, you've only really mentioned anything about me here:

That I cut out Somber saying he'd vote me because I wanted to agree with a different point in his post and that I was somehow trying to take pressure off me when I had been mentioned 1 time in thread.

Is that still your whole case on me?

(FWIW, though, I 100% agree about Anon)

That's the majority of it. There's also this, which is a smaller-scale version of (part of) what we're getting on AnonNarc for:

chaoslord posted:

There are two and a half days left in D1 and this is my 12th post. I'm easily on track to have the most posts in a game I've ever had! I even participated in jokes. What more do you want? :argh:

chaoslord posted:

Haha, Somber calls me out for not posting, I say "nuh uh, I'm posting!" then disappear for a day and a half. Sorry folks. Bad excuses plenty but I'm back now. I'll catch up and post thoughts.

It's not an airtight case, and I like the post I'm responding to, but not a lot of people are sticking their head up. I get a town read from Somber and Ernie, I'm leaning town on imgay because of Jake's weird posting, I won't fearvote merk because I'm sure someone in a role madness game can figure him out, so even that small scum vibe from you puts you in my top 3 (though way behind Anon and Jake). I do want to case Zetsubou (slash re-read King B and MCED's cases), they've made a couple posts that struck me as weird but I haven't been able to articulate why. I also find it easy to believe there's a scum hiding in the CPig/Mac/Met lurker triumvirate but I don't see the need for indiscriminate murder at this juncture.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Oh hey, so I was going through the thread to see if there was enough ammo for one of the roleclaim logs I like to do (probably after night stuff starts coming out) and I found something weird:

MC Eating Disorder posted:

Jake: a lot of other people have made some ok arguments for you being scum but mornacales is pretty bad. Despite this i'm reading your many posts and my gut says town and I have decided to give you my gift.

chaoslord posted:

Does anyone want a cool present?

That's a lotta gifts.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Somber, can you confirm CPig is -1 to dunk today?

##vote AnonNarc as promised

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Ernie. posted:

my action was on mc ed, who died

When did you submit your action? It would allow us to narrow down when the scum submitted their NK.

Somberbrero posted:

I can target 3 people. There are different notifications for each.

This seems like a big change from your original claim. Are you saying you can make up to three people hated in one night, or that you have two other abilities as well?

The whole weird speculation about vigs and SKs makes no sense to me. This post also makes no sense to me:

JakeP posted:

Like I don't see the mod accidently sending a scum a townies night action results

In addition to the distastefulness of trying to use a mod error to determine alignment, I don't see how in the world a mod mixing up two people is any less possible if one of them is scum. I still feel like Jake is reaching really far to try to clear imgay and I'm loathe to believe it's just because they're irl buds. But Jake also seems to be the person trying hardest to hunt scum (and I find myself largely agreeing with his targets), so I'm disinclined to vote him today.

I could see an AnonNarc/Birdstrike scum pair from the NK discussion, though I think if they were buds I'd expect one of them to tried bussing the other by now. I think I feel best voting Birdstrike today; a lot of his behavior all thread is very "me too", and I think it's scummy regardless of Anon's alignment. ##vote Birdstrike

I'm also really really suspicious of Met. It's totally bizarre that someone supposedly claimed his role and he completely failed to even notice enough to counterclaim. That strikes me as not wanting to get into a thunderdome with imgay. Then he votes Somber over a role that "doesn't seem town", which is just dumb (and pretty OMGUSy imo). Then he keeps trying to pry for information on role use, which I'm not into in the least.

So basically I really hope we go for Birdman or Met today.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Birdstrike: Or (The Unexpected Scumminess of That Last Post)

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Birdstrike posted:

Evidently I just still don't understand what makes a good scum read and this is (let's face it, was)my second game and all of my sixth game-day so I guess I should know by now but everyone has their own ideas, if I comment on boilerplate I've never seen, I'm scummy for trying to confuse town, but apparently voting for people that you think are either scummy OR confused townies is okay because obviously (according to some of you) an inexperienced player having trouble is a sure sign they're both scum and also dumb as hell and should probably kill they are self.

This was pretty frustrating because every time I tried to help town I ended up both jumped on as suss and later on attacked personally. I suggested there might be an SK because the idea that a town vig would hit themselves if they miss submitting their night action seems really, really off from a game mechanic standpoint, but hey, having that idea is both dumb and scummy so I should just go away.

I still feel Somber is town and have tried to get you to see that but who cares about my reads because hey they're probably wrong because I'm a dumbass, and if I try too hard to defend myself I'm just going to give whoever the scum out there are something to hide behind. If you kill me for information great, I hope there's something useful enough here for you to use, but I honestly don't see the point in participating anymore. I should probably just vote for myself to end this quicker so that you guys can see my flip but I'm sure someone, probably town, would claim that's scummy as hell also.

Seeing how it doesn't actually matter now my role is Result Copier which links me to the result my target receives. I used it N1 on Zetsubou-san but didn't receive anything so fat load of good that did me. There are a lot worse roles to lynch to hopefully you're able to do better with the information it gives you than I have been able to.

TBH I don't care if this is dumb newbie or bad tactic because a) you already knew that, b) I'm basically dead. I've tried to do the right thing and refrain from personal attacks because at the end of the day, it's just a game guys!

Nothing personal if you do turn out to be town, but I don't believe you and even this post seems kind of weird and not totally apropos to the game at hand. I can sort of see the role, sort of like the a modified hider that can provide a backup if an investigator is nightkilled, but also it could easily be a scum role. Everyone please vote Birdstrike.

Zetsubou-san posted:

you must have submitted your action after mine, then.

This is such a weird post. You're softclaiming an investigative role that received a result but without providing your result. You're acting like you 100% believe Birdstrike's claim and not even doing the first thing to try to press for more information; rather, you're providing their own excuse for why their claim doesn't match your own. But you're still voting them. Why do you believe your claim if you think they're scum, why do you think they're scum if you believe their claim? I think you're trying to see if you can put the brakes on the bandwagon without drawing suspicion by hopping off; if Birdstrike is scum you're my top suspect tomorrow.

Birdstrike, what time/date did you submit your night action?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Now I wish I hadn't queued my action already, because that's extremely confusing to me :smith:

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

GulagDolls posted:

i'm going to kill you unless you type 90 percent fewer words

kill him any way imho

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

GulagDolls posted:

mornacale may have the worst avatar in all of existence, but i think zaibatsu is a weirdo too

anime avatar calling my good avatar the worst, this is an outrage

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Mornacale posted:

Birdstrike, what time/date did you submit your night action?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

imgay posted:

This is mornacale trying to bus himself from his scumbuddy Birdstrike.

Neither of whom you are voting.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Aw poo poo, hoist on my own petard.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

imgay posted:

what does plorping mean.

It's the weirdest of the euphemisms I've seen for "lynch".

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
I'm plorpin' riled up about this mafia game, mates.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

merk posted:

People who I'm pretty sure are town: merk

Ya

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

JakeP posted:

yo who was it that pointed out that an early birdstrike post was a scum post? i had a gut feeling that was a bus, also Anon Narcotics seemed to be in cahoots with the birdman in my head

It was Merk. CPig also dropped a post-joke-phase vote on him with zero content.

I could see Anon, the way Birdman responded to her speculation about an SK felt pretty buddy-buddy. I also like Zetsubou a lot, for reasons I mentioned earlier but won't quote because I'm phoneposting.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Ernie. posted:

hmm maybe i should have read birdstrike's posts instead of assuming that they were town

Tell me the truth Ernie are you town?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Ernie. posted:

i am town mornacale

im deflated from my n1 action not working

and now my n2 action is a waste

i am a masonry recruiter, tonight i tried to recruit bird because i thought people were being unnecessarily harsh to them

oops

Guys I know from experience that claiming to target dead people is Ernie's scumtell, let's get him.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Now I'll never be able to post "you crazy for this one Jake!" :smith:

Somber, what the heck is up with your ability, why does it keep not doing what you told us it would do? Why did you not want to dunk Birdstrike? What was that weird thing about three targets?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Oh yeah lol I forgot to do that part. ##vote Somber

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Met posted:

CapitalistPig did nothing last night.

Are you sure that he did nothing, and not that your action failed?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
CPig, give us the details on how your ability works and how you've used it.

Because the mod already told us that ever player has to use their ability every night, so unless I'm missing something at least one of Met/CPig/imgay is lying about last night.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

CapitalistPig posted:

I did use it. I just did my action before met teleported me so I'd already done it.

Then why didn't you absorb their teleport?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

CapitalistPig posted:

Well then poque hosed up.

Because mine specifically said I used my absorb and then felt like something made me go quicker, but I'd already used my action.

When did you use your action?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Also, does "absorbing" an ability let you use that ability thereafter, or just cancels it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
CPig, does your ability target?

• Locked thread