Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Good to see you back, old friend. Nice to see the expanded stable as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ricecop69
Mar 7, 2003
Welcome back Danny (it's Andrew from Pride). I'm jealous of your fleet. I've been looking at 68-70 coupe devilles, but I need a truck more than a cruiser as I'll be moving soon as well. I'm hoping to pick up a 67-72 c10. I'm glad to see the 58 looking sweet. The bags and the different hub caps really set it off from the last time I saw it down at my shop for the quarter panel repair. If you ever need assistance again with body shop stuff, hit me up--my number is still the same.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Besides craigslist, is there any good insight on finding old motorcycles/dirt bikes or is it just scanning the road and see what's out there?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

Ricecop69 posted:

Welcome back Danny (it's Andrew from Pride). I'm jealous of your fleet. I've been looking at 68-70 coupe devilles, but I need a truck more than a cruiser as I'll be moving soon as well. I'm hoping to pick up a 67-72 c10. I'm glad to see the 58 looking sweet. The bags and the different hub caps really set it off from the last time I saw it down at my shop for the quarter panel repair. If you ever need assistance again with body shop stuff, hit me up--my number is still the same.

I might know of a nice 63 shorty for sale.. Nice as in tons invested in engine/trans that just sits behind my buddys woodshop in venice. I definitely

will keep you in mind, you dont know how much you helped with the 58.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Besides craigslist, is there any good insight on finding old motorcycles/dirt bikes or is it just scanning the road and see what's out there?

I don't really know too much about keeping an eye out for bikes - pretty much all of mine have been luck. The BSA's I bought were a total after thought. When I was in high school I would ride my bike past this house with tall grass growing and a really cool 59 Ford sunliner convertible hardtop just sitting there. One day many years later I was driving past and saw a guy inside cleaning out the garage - I hoped to find more gold in the garage, but the guy was actually the owners brother. the owner had died (in the backyard) and stayed there for a few days before the neighbors noticed a smell) He wouldn't sell me the sunliner, but he showed me the two BSAs and told me I could have both for a grand. The Vespa came from my cousin who bought it for his wife, she hated it, and I made him an offer. As I said the 77 was bought from a friend who was hard on his luck.

Bikes are probably harder to spot because they can be stashed more easily. A few guys I know have scored bikes and scoots by going to look at cars and noticing bikes laying about. A good friend of mine got his Lambretta like that - he was going to check out some 50s caddy and saw the lambretta just sitting there - I guess it was one of those "oh that thing? get that thing out of here and you can have it" type deals.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

LobsterboyX posted:

I'll let you know, but my club is planning to have a show down there again in the summer time when its dry again, ironic, right?

If they're OK with low and fast too, it'd be well worth the trip.

Laura-4-Lyfe
Oct 14, 2005

LobsterboyX posted:

I'm gearining up to make a post about the system. I have 2 friends with bagged 62's and it's really not as big of an outlay as most think.

This is good to hear. I look forward to seeing how you put your system together.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
anyone use something weird to shave?

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

LobsterboyX posted:

anyone use something weird to shave?

:stare:

I use a DE safety razor. Definitely hooked but not to that level.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yup

Not quite brave enough to upgrade to a straight razor though.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I went from a straight razor to a DE. The straight razor was nice when it was sharp, but it's so much nicer not having to keep an edge all the time now.
If I ever get a butterfly razor and a bulk pack of feather blades, I'll be in heaven.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

ExplodingSims posted:

Yup

Not quite brave enough to upgrade to a straight razor though.

Sup fatboy bro...

Years ago I had a fatboy that I had gotten in a lot of vintage razors. IIRC I paid 5 bucks for about 12 razors. I remember I sold a lot of them at a swapmeet and cleaned up. I remember I never even tried the fatboy, and because it didn't have a case, I didn't care about it. fast forward to last year at the height of my addiction to razors, it was pissing me off that I couldn't find a fatboy for under 100 bucks! I finally got a really nice one (this one) for 40 bucks - I was very excited. cleaned and polished it up and gave myself a shave and honestly I like my aluminum "black tip" super speed wayyyy more.

I'm completely obsessed with the shick repeaters in the first picture I posted

learn about them here: http://www.safetyrazors.net/schick/schicktech.htm

My favorite of them all is this beautiful Aristocrat:

Perfect weight, balance, beautiful look.. If I had to pick one to keep for life it would be this one.

while on the grooming theme, check out this awesome local barber shop:

The little Italian guy who owns it is about 90 - I don't go there too often, because he's rather expensive. he has photos of him with Bob Hope, the 3 stooges in their later days and many other stars of the past. He has that typical old man shake in his hands, but as soon as the sciccors or razor come up to you, he goes steady as I've seen.

It's bothering me that I cant find it, but he gave me an original business card from 1958 showing the newly built barber shop with its phone number "State 5530"

Anyway, picdump time:

not my fiance' - her car was used for a fashion shoot.

her generator gave out at a gas station in hollywood - a few minutes after this pic was taken we were literally swamped with tourists taking pictures and asking about the cars.

picked up this original 1948 registration a few months ago:

I've got the awesome opportunity to drive both of these amazing cars on multiple occasions.

what are they?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nudie_Cohn

Also I'm very excited for tomorrow because on wed nights, cool things happen

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

It took me forever to find the Fatboy I have. I got inspired after seeing you collection you posted in the previous thread. Then I saw a pic of the Fatboy with it's case and I knew that was the one I had to have, after a few weeks of scouring Ebay I finally picked up that one for like $50. I love it, its so much better than anything else I've used, but I would be willing to try some other stuff. Maybe I'll start looking for an Aristocrat now, I had been watching one for a while, but new bought it.

Though in my searches I also picked up this thing, before I found the Fatboy:

A travel kit from the '60s or so. Comes with the razor, a brush, mirror and a comb. The razor is....not my favorite to say the least. The Fatboy is soooo much better than that one, but it was good for practice.
I kinda forgot about this for a while, I need to polish it up again.

And man, that barber shop is kickass, I've gonna be visiting Las Vegas for a bit in a few months, (And will be moving there next year) I may have to take a trip out to LA to go check all this stuff you've been posting out. I'd love to go see that shop, it looks amazing.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

ExplodingSims posted:

It took me forever to find the Fatboy I have. I got inspired after seeing you collection you posted in the previous thread.

And man, that barber shop is kickass, I've gonna be visiting Las Vegas for a bit in a few months, (And will be moving there next year) I may have to take a trip out to LA to go check all this stuff you've been posting out. I'd love to go see that shop, it looks amazing.

Wow - I have to say that the first sentence makes it very worthwhile to me to keep posting stuff like this. I'm really glad you enjoy your fatboy, and that travel kit is really cool. I think that's considered a tech razor - I didn't have one up until sometime last year, I got one, tried it and sold it, they really are nothing special.

Private message me, we'll do dinner, at one of the best preserved 50's diners... in the world... or something.

Or at this well preserved 1930's haunt

Dupars is located at the farmers market/ the grove here in LA.

the photo was taken just a little to the left of the google drop pin thingy:

Cool.. nice...

as you can see to the north is CBS - this is where the price is right and numerious other shows are shot. I've worked a few shoots there.

to the east you can see the grove, the ultra cheeseball mall/apartment complex. it has a fountain, an apple store and even a cute little trolley. awww.

in the parking lot of farmers market, there is a cute little mock old-timey gas station - Gilmore in fact:

Gilmore gas staion.. where have I seen that before?

excuse the bad photo, it was all I could find, but I'm an avid 3 Stooges fan*, This is a screen grab from "Three Little Pigskins" the episode where they pose as college football players.

*last year we all went on the cemetery tour of LA to find notable celebrities grave sites - morbid I know, but I have another story about this that I'll share later.

Anyway, the story of Gilmore field is extremely interesting, I cant find any good links for it, but I'll try to summarize as quickly as I can - Gilmore buys a piece of land that no one wanted, struck oil and went nutty, he built the farmers market, a stadium, baseball field and drive in theater.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmers_Market_%28Los_Angeles%29#History

as you can see, the only part of this still left is the farmers market.

Another interesting fact is that Gilmore field was the birth of Midget racing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilmore_Stadium#Midget_car_venue

Pretty cool right?

Then there's this: in the far east corner there was :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan-Pacific_Auditorium

My heart breaks for this..

Streamline Moderne at its finest. It was a groundbreaking design, it was host to SO much.

I remember the day it burned in 1989, I was just a little kid, but I remember watching the fire at my grandmas house on the old black and white, no remote TV (my grandparents refused to buy a new one because "it still works just fine, honey")

My grandfather pulled out a photo of him there in the late 30s. he told me all about the auto shows as well as the ice skating shows that used to happen there.

Anyway, its a shame but its legacy lives on at Disneyland California adventure:

I'd give just about anything for a time machine.

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

Love the entire theme of your threads! I have a deep appreciation for old iron and really, anything pre mid-60s really.

I'm just sad that I live clear across the country and my city is too boring for art deco anywhere :(

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo, this is cool.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Team140 posted:

Love the entire theme of your threads! I have a deep appreciation for old iron and really, anything pre mid-60s really.

I'm just sad that I live clear across the country and my city is too boring for art deco anywhere :(

Ahh, I bet its close by, or cleverly disguised, where do you live? Do you still have that chevy?

Claverjoe posted:

Holy poo poo, this is cool.

Thanks!

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Your old thread was one of my favorites here. I also Jumped on the job I am at because I walked in and they were working on a 63 Lincoln with suicide doors. Since then I have worked on more and more cars of that vintage. Just the other day I was helping the owners dad with his 32 ford. I didn't know the original convertables had wood frames!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
LobsterboyX suggested I copy over something I PM'd him from this side of the pond, the replacement of Birmingham Central Library:

This is the original Victorian building:

Which was demolished in the 70s and replaced by a properly fugly brutalist concrete... thing:

That picture makes it look better than it is in reality, particularly on a dreary day (in the Midlands? Surely not...)

The worst part is they didn't even build it on the same site, they built it next to the old one:

Luckily, though (and despite some people actually wanting it preserved), it's now itself been replaced by a new building (which, miraculously, they have once again built next to the previous incarnation first. I think they're just trying to move the drat thing to Wales on some kind of thousand-year programme):

If anyone's interested in the loss of historic architecture in the UK during the 20th century, I'd recommend a look at Gavin Stamp's books Lost Victorian Britain and Britain's Lost Cities.

I'm not really much of an architecture guy, but I found them very interesting.

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

LobsterboyX posted:

Ahh, I bet its close by, or cleverly disguised, where do you live? Do you still have that chevy?

Thanks!

I'm in Gainesville, FL.

No. I traded the old Chevy off last year. A guy showed up out of the blue to chat about the car one day while I was miffed at all the things it needed - entire rear half of the car from the doors back was going to have to be replaced due to Swiss cheese, fuel tank leaking, engine had worse compression that I originally thought, etc - and offered this for trade:

I traded with the guy and decided pretty quickly that late C3 Corvettes aren't my bag and put it up for sale. 5 days after I got the Corvette, A guy shows up with this plus cash for the Corvette:

I've since traded the CJ7 (which rode like an unloaded dump truck) even for a 2006 Eddie Bauer Ford Expedition. Wife hated it because she doesn't like SUVs so I sold it and replaced it with a Land Rover Discovery that she loves. I will never understand women.

I'm hoping in the next year or two I'll run across something that turns my crank. I miss that old car smell.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Man, I woulda kept that CJ if I were you. Looks super clean.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Team140 posted:

Wife hated it because she doesn't like SUVs so I sold it and replaced it with a Land Rover Discovery that she loves.

The disco is pretty much the SUV-est SUV though?

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

Raluek posted:

Man, I woulda kept that CJ if I were you. Looks super clean.

It was clean, but it was weak. Had the Iron Duke 2.5 with a 4 speed. It was honest to god the roughest riding vehicle I've ever driven. I've got a Jeep TJ now with the coil spring suspension and I'll never go back to leafs.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

The disco is pretty much the SUV-est SUV though?

Yep. I think her take on it is with the Jeep and the Disco II, she said it feels like every time she goes somewhere it's like she's going on a safari or adventure. The Disco is just odd enough to keep me interested. I was actually eyeing a couple more this past weekend to buy but decided the smart thing to do was pass on them.

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012
I think this thread is just right for this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQoLXBF4uSA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQoLXBF4uSA
Released in theaters on may 21, 1948

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I figured I'd contribute a bit to the LA history vibe of this thread.

This is my office, built in 1919 in Westlake (now Koreatown).

Westlake used to be an upscale part of town with the Bullocks Wilshire department store as its crown jewel. It was considered a suburb of Los Angeles at the time, since it's about 5 miles west of where downtown LA was in 1919, so it attracted the wealthy and famous. This house was owned by Vilma Banky, a silver screen era actress, from around 1923-1927 until she got married to Rod La Rocque and moved to a new house.

Knowing she was a huge star at the time, I figured there might be pictures of her from the house somewhere online, and after a few hours of searching through public archives, I found a few. I took pictures of the house roughly from where the photographer was standing at the time to see if I could get the pictures to line up:

The 1970's were particularly rough for LA history as pretty much all of downtown to the Westlake area was completely bulldozed and gutted to put up cheap apartment housing. My office is the only house left on the block, the rest being torn down and replaced by gaudy apartment buildings. The only reason this one survived is because it was bought by a guy for next to nothing who wanted to use it as an office for his print design company before the new zoning laws were implemented. I moved my office here in 2008 and it's been a great second home in LA for me for the past 7 years.

Its time is running out though. The house is currently in escrow to be torn down and replaced with another lovely apartment building. Soon this street will lose all its history and class to turn into another typical Koreatown street.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That almost looks like the house from Ferris Buellers' Day Off, which is actually in LA, not Chicago (man, Ferris must have been really tried after that cross country run to beat his parents home)

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

beautiful home

That's spectacular. there are so many stories like this and its so cool that you actually get to work there. I'm stuck in a 80s building that used to be a silicon breast implant factory.

before I forget, here's what we were up to this past weekend:

http://imgur.com/a/3ovhx?gallery

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Next time I'm in LA visiting the in-laws, I'm definitely gonna hit up this thread for things to see.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Last summer I stumbled across a lowrider show completely at random (I'd taken the train down to fair park to just walk around and check out the buildings again), though unfortunately just as it was ending. Still managed to get some shots of several cars as they were leaving while I was waiting on my bus - some of them will fit in this thread. http://imgur.com/a/CSrk0

LobsterboyX, you'd love the venue - it was at Fair Park in Dallas, which is all 30s-era Art Deco buildings.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Trying not to let this slip away again so here we go:

whoops! guess I've been using technology to plan mods to my.. toyota.. uh.. lets forget this even happened.

Anyway, hectic as usual - house hunting is hard, but its less hard when you actually are activly seeking out dilapidated vintage homes. Not going to post anything about it, but I'm getting closer every day to obtaining a home that would make my cars feel right at home.

In the meantime, I've been trying to streamline and clean my current living situation enough so I'm not completely buried when it comes time to move:

this does not include several engines, transmissions and a few more bikes and pieces of furniture that live in the garage (which is another story all together)

Wed night is cruise night, our little group has amassed quite a few interesting personalities and we usually try to find something interesting to hit every week.

this is the old Helms Bakery factory - an LA original. you can find out more about helms here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helms_Bakery

The Helms story is so cool, but their hardware was even cooler:

A friend of mine actually bought one of these for his wife, for a short time she would take it, along with baked goodness to weddings and other events - if you google "helms bakery coach" you will no doubt find photos of her with the truck - I'm hoping that the truck and her will come out of retirement for my wedding.

there is also one sitting in the "not for sale" portion of a local junk yard known for having some of the coolest stuff ever, including a screen used Jaws robot that wound up headed for the scrap heap after filming

My mom fondly remembers these things delivering "the best donuts on earth" every weekend.

This past weekend was jam packed with quirky poo poo: friday was the totally illegal 6th street cruise which has been going on now for a few months. Every week the cops bring out the chopper with sonic deterants, night suns and even mounted police to "break up" a good time.

They issued tickets shortly after I left - not sure of the specifics, but I'm really not keen to the fact that they were doling out seemingly fraudulent tickets, or threatening to tow the cars if the owners didn't pay on site. eesh!

Saturday was my fiance's birthday so I surprised her with a trip to disneyland, which she's been bugging me for months about. I'm a mild disney fan, and having worked for them in the past, its always fun for me to see whats up at the park. My favorite attraction, is - duh- one of the oldest. The Enchanted Tiki Room:

also, it just so happened that the day we went was someones the first day back in 45 years

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/05/behind-the-scenes-hatbox-ghost-reappears-in-haunted-mansion-at-disneyland-park/

I had known about this for awhile, in 2013 they had one of their anamatronic figures at D23 (Disney trade show) which was a precursor to this. As I mentioned previously, I've worked for them in the past and have many friends who still do, so it was cool to see hard work come in to play - without even knowing it

finally to round out the weekend, we visited a friend in Orange CA - a very cool historic town - I just thought this building was awesome:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Is your Cadillac bagged? Lead sleds are the poo poo.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Is your Cadillac bagged? Lead sleds are the poo poo.

Yes - I've just been really bad about documenting the process. If I ever get another free minute I'll do a writeup on the system

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

Saturday was my fiance's birthday so I surprised her with a trip to disneyland, which she's been bugging me for months about. I'm a mild disney fan, and having worked for them in the past, its always fun for me to see whats up at the park. My favorite attraction, is - duh- one of the oldest. The Enchanted Tiki Room:

Ha, I was at Disneyland on Saturday too. Strangely my daughter who loved the Tiki Room last time around, decided this year that it was "scary". Had no problem with Star Tours, especially since the cast member there decided to let her "stretch" to 40".

Annoyingly, the ones at the Radiator Springs Racers decided she was still a bit short for the 40" there. There's always next year.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

This is beautiful. I love your threads and this one is no exception.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ha, I was at Disneyland on Saturday too. Strangely my daughter who loved the Tiki Room last time around, decided this year that it was "scary". Had no problem with Star Tours, especially since the cast member there decided to let her "stretch" to 40".

Annoyingly, the ones at the Radiator Springs Racers decided she was still a bit short for the 40" there. There's always next year.

did you see the guy in the red shirt sitting in the fiberglass 1950s toon cars back in toontown? yeah, that was me.

pretty humiliating standing behind a group of kids waiting for my photo to be taken, but :smugdog:

in other news: Co-worker asks today "is that a vintage football helmet? why does it have a fin"

In other, other news: I'm seriously contemplating making a mistake

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

LobsterboyX posted:

The mistake being not buying that right?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

freelop posted:

The mistake being not buying that right?

Complicated caper - belongs to a guy who lives in a hearse with a nasty drug habit - have to A: track him down B: make sure he's in the right "mood". - its a 40 packard 110 coupe, the engine looks like its been rebuilt at some point, it spins free, still full of semi clean oil. Before he bugged out, he stored the car at a friends smog check shop, the friend is fiercely loyal and won't sell it without the OK of the owner. yeeesh!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Your threads are the only thing that make living in Cali sound appealing to me.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Aloha. Last weekend I went bowling:

This is a very cool AMF bowling alley at the very tip of the valley.. Sadly it's not the coolest on the inside but the exterior is pretty exciting:

Also, I went to the BAR:

Sorry for the crappy photo, but this is a California legal semi automatic BAR made by Ohio Ordnance - owned by one of my dearest friends, who.. just.. might... sell... it.. to me?

Not pictured in our memorial day WWII shoot-a-thon - my Garand, m1 carbine and Ithica 1911 - No pictures because, well, I'm the worst.

The weekend before was also filled with some interesting stuff.

slowly but surely this thing is starting to come around, It was in desparate need of proper bias ply tires - when it was restored almost 18 years ago, whitewall radials were all the rage. I'm picking up the rims tonight and most likely I'll head down and pick up some new rubber this weekend.

we also took a cruise last weekend to Carroll Ave. in Angeleno Heights - which is possibly one of my favorite places in LA - you can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carroll_Avenue

Then we went down to this place and I had a tuna sandwich without the crust.

Our weekly cruise is tonight and lately things have been getting a bit mad lately

I'll post the exterior of this car soon..

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

did you see the guy in the red shirt sitting in the fiberglass 1950s toon cars back in toontown? yeah, that was me.

Toontown is the one place I don't think we set foot in once - we were headed that way when my daughter decided to crash out for a nap in the stroller. Parked her with grandma and hit Space Mountain. :getin:

Also, you need to make that mistake. Goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

LobsterboyX posted:

a California legal semi automatic BAR made by Ohio Ordnance

what

what

Don't buy that, because if you do I will come and steal it immediately. I'm serious bro - that is my dream gun.

• Locked thread