Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

LobsterboyX posted:

Our weekly cruise is tonight and lately things have been getting a bit mad lately

I'll post the exterior of this car soon..

Is that a valve wheel used as a steering wheel?
It looks awesome, can't wait for more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

what

what

Don't buy that, because if you do I will come and steal it immediately. I'm serious bro - that is my dream gun.

Huzzah!!

http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/rifles/semi-auto/oow-line/1918a3

freelop posted:

Is that a valve wheel used as a steering wheel?
It looks awesome, can't wait for more

He didn't show up tonight, but with a bit of digging I found this photo of the car:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

LobsterboyX posted:

Huzzah!!

http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/rifles/semi-auto/oow-line/1918a3

He didn't show up tonight, but with a bit of digging I found this photo of the car:

I SHALL RAISE YOU UP TO VALHALLA MYSELF

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Enourmo posted:

I SHALL RAISE YOU UP TO VALHALLA MYSELF

It was kinda funny because last week he was telling me that he's gotten so much more attention for this car in the last few weeks than he's had in the few years that he's owned it.

but fuckit.. lets go...

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
:allears:

These are pretty much the coolest old american cars, combined with the coolest old american guns, along with the coolest old bicycles. I won't say you're exactly living the dream, but you sure know what it is and you've got a chunk of it.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

That's pretty awesome that you can get a "new" BAR. I got the chance to shoot my uncles original BAR(full auto, stamped british typewriter company) and it was awesome. He has a ton of cool old guns, most full auto and sadly worth too much for him to actually shoot them, but he takes out his cheaper ones into the desert to shoot poo poo every time we go visit him. Shooting his tommy gun is awesome, but he would only let us use the stick mag's as the drums that he has are original.

He used to have a couple cool old military vehicles as well, including a Gama Goat and a Willy's Mule. I think he has since sold both of those, but the mule was way too much fun to drive. I need to make a trip back to Phoenix to visit family and go shooting...

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

:allears:

These are pretty much the coolest old american cars, combined with the coolest old american guns, along with the coolest old bicycles. I won't say you're exactly living the dream, but you sure know what it is and you've got a chunk of it.

Atomic family, southern California ranch style (or craftsman bungalow) house, and lots of bbq are next on the list. I'm trying. My mom had me later in the spectrum, she was 37, and my grandparents were solidly members of the greatest generation. My formative years were spent watching a lot of classic tv shows and listening to grandmas records. I liked ghostbusters and ninja turtles, but that kinda took a back seat to playing checkers and building my own toys with grandpa.

Negromancer posted:

That's pretty awesome that you can get a "new" BAR. I got the chance to shoot my uncles original BAR(full auto, stamped british typewriter company) and it was awesome. He has a ton of cool old guns, most full auto and sadly worth too much for him to actually shoot them, but he takes out his cheaper ones into the desert to shoot poo poo every time we go visit him. Shooting his tommy gun is awesome, but he would only let us use the stick mag's as the drums that he has are original.

wow.. can I come along? The coolest thing about the BAR that my friend has is that everything except for the reciever is original WW2 stuff - the barrel is stamped 44 and the stock is bakelite or some kind of plastic made by the Firestone rubber company. I'm not sure if all of them are like that now, but I guess this company has been making these in really small quantities since the late 80s. The one that belongs to my friend is from 94 - a Tommy gun is probably the pinnacle for me, but there is no way I'll ever own one here in California - I tagged along to a few gun shops with my buddy last weekend, and one of them had a "California legal" Thompson - it had a bullet button to release the mag, as well as an extended barrel in order to exempt it from "SBR" status, so it looks kinda silly. It was...reasonably?... affordable at 1100 bucks, but still, if I had to have one, I'd almost prefer a non firing or blank firing replica that fits violin case.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
muh muh muh MEGAPOST:

Becuase I have an office job, I feel it necessary for my sanity to trawl ebay listless - here is a few fruits of my labor..

Wow - its an original lighter from the dealership that originally sold my cadillac! better yet, the place still stands and is awesome:

and today:

mmmk -

I dont know that much about it (or do I and I just don't want to have any competition for them) but its a cadillac branded... um... shift knob

anyway, the past few weeks have been filled with lots of cruising:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
What's it like shooting a BAR? I imagine the recoil would be lessened by the weight of the gun

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

What's it like shooting a BAR? I imagine the recoil would be lessened by the weight of the gun

It's a really ridiculous way to shoot 30-06 - The mags are huge and unweildy, the charging handle is really small and awkward (its on the left side of the gun so you cant charge it easily while holding it) it also hurts. shooting it from the bipod is probably the most comfortible, although the range we took it to had benches with the stool attached, the gun was almost too long for the bench and I had to lean wayyyy back to be able to fire it, I eventually pulled up another chair behind the bench and was able to actually try to hit something. The sights are comical at best. you are very correct about the recoil, its so heavy it really feels like nothing, although it does have a pretty unique sound. Standing with it is not for everyone, the range we went to allowed rapid fire so I couldn't help squeezing them out as fast as I could, but for fear of hitting other peoples targets, I had to be somewhat reserved. releasing the mag is another silly task, there is a button in the trigger well, but fitting your hand around the mag is difficult for me even with large hands. All in all, its not a pleasant gun to shoot, it draws lots of attention at the line, old guys wanting to handle it, young guys wondering what the gently caress it is and of course a lot of "did your grandpa bring that back from the war?" - in other words, I loved doing it, and if i could afford it right now I would have snapped it up.

In other news, baby gets some new kicks:

and and and.. shes getting her trans done over the weekend! after that she'll head to the front end shop to be given a once over. The century will ride once again.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

LobsterboyX posted:

. All in all, its not a pleasant gun to shoot, it draws lots of attention at the line, old guys wanting to handle it, young guys wondering what the gently caress it is and of course a lot of "did your grandpa bring that back from the war?" - in other words, I loved doing it, and if i could afford it right now I would have snapped it up.

Sounds about right. Excellent review! Also, if I hadn't said it before, I'm glad your back posting cool old iron again.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Thanks - as the title says, I'm a lot less interesting now, although I do have a few rare days in which I can gently caress around, just trying to keep the thread alive is hard, I usualy hand my phone off to my gal so that she can "take pictures for your (my) internet friends"

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
So apparently there's a 1950 Buick Sedanette at my local salvage yard. Anything off there you might be interested in?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

So apparently there's a 1950 Buick Sedanette at my local salvage yard. Anything off there you might be interested in?

Hmmmm... what model is it? (special, super, roadmaster) Pretty much the only things I can use is engine parts IF its a roadmaster.. maybe the distributor, air cleaner (pretty sure they are not the same as 48) steering wheel, radio (if its a "wonder bar" If it is, it will have a floor mounted seek button).. the tail lights are super cool, if the bezels and lens' are good, if it's a roadmaster it may have the ultra rare bumperettes - . thats about all I can think of

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

LobsterboyX posted:

Hmmmm... what model is it? (special, super, roadmaster) Pretty much the only things I can use is engine parts IF its a roadmaster.. maybe the distributor, air cleaner (pretty sure they are not the same as 48) steering wheel, radio (if its a "wonder bar" If it is, it will have a floor mounted seek button).. the tail lights are super cool, if the bezels and lens' are good, if it's a roadmaster it may have the ultra rare bumperettes - . thats about all I can think of

Can't say as I haven't been to go see it. I may run out there this weekend and take a look. Might snag a couple little trinkets for myself depending on condition. I'll keep an eye open.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Last month my life took a very interesting turn, my mother died suddenly and unexpectedly at age 68, I was with her at the very end. My priorities have drastically changed. I had my loan documents ready to go for a home purchase, and suddenly and extremely sadly, I've inherited the family home. The home was built in 1938, and my grandparents purchased it in 1950.

My mother is the reason I love old things. She would often tell me she would play Little Richard, Fats Domino and Bill Haley for me when I was still in the womb. She was an amazing designer, she designed interiors for some of LA's elite, restaurants, and beautiful estates in Santa Barbara CA. Her style was derrived from growing up in LA in the 50s. When I was a kid she would drag me here and there running errands with her, I remember vividly driving past the ambassador hotel shortly after it closed its doors for good in the early 90s. She told me all about the Coconut Grove, and Robert Kennedy - and I wondered "why isn't it preserved, its full of so many stories".

For my 18th birthday she woke me up at the crack of dawn and said "get dressed" - as any typical 18 year old would do, I said "AHHH COME ON, its my birthday!" - she ripped the covers off of me and got me up out of bed. We got in the car and next thing I know we were parking at Pershing Square in the heart of DTLA. We walked around all day, we rode angels flight, we had lunch at Cliftons Cafeteria and we went to the Bradbury Building. We walked past the beautiful movie palaces, and she even showed me the subway terminal building, and the hotel my grandfather and his father stayed at when they first moved to LA in the 20s. Her motivation behind this was that she wanted to buy me a nice watch, which she did. I still have mine, however she also bought herself one that day, and wore it every day, now, I do.

Back to cars and house stuff next time.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Condolences LoberstboyX, sounds like your mother raised you right

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

freelop posted:

Condolences LoberstboyX, sounds like your mother raised you right

Goddamn right she did.

Condolences, though from the sound of things you've got a hell of a lot of memories to work with.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Condolences :( Your mother sounds amazing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Sorry to hear. 68 is way, way too young to go.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Sorry, man. She sounds like an amazing person, and its great you appreciated her during the time you had together.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Sorry Lobsterboy. Losing family you care about is the worst :(

I bet her house is awesome and you will take amazing care of it.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...
So sorry man - she raised an amazing son and you shared her love of old things.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Terribly sorry for your loss, Lobsterboy. Remember your mother for the wonderful person she sounds like she was.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Thanks guys - It means a lot. Without her I wouldn't have had this sickness. When I was a kid my dad had his 54 Buick Roadmaster convertible, after he left, she said something like "and he never even gave me a ride!!!" so I'd often torment her by making her ride in my caddy (which she tolerated, she wasn't fond of the cars because she thought having them made me look like a gangster or a "no-good-nick") - after a few 90mph runs on the freeway she said something like "I'm glad he never gave me a ride!" - anyway -

here is the house:

and here is a new inhabitant who will soon be leaking on the driveway:

Long story short: I've always wanted one, wife has always wanted one, we were both feeling down in the dumps and nothing cures sadness faster than a bit of impulse buys.

It runs and drives on its original banger engine with a 3 speed - we plan to putt putt around for a few months then dive in to full hot rod mode with my 401 Buick Nailhead + T5... bias plys, No fenders, hood, no sense.. indeed.

more later

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Aww man, sorry about your mom Lobster, I know how that is and I still miss mine every single day.

Nice score on the Ford, a nailhead and T5 is gonna be the perfect drivetrain for that.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Fart Pipe posted:

Nice score on the Ford, a nailhead and T5 is gonna be the perfect drivetrain for that.

Only if you reverse the flow through it and put an exhaust column straight up from the valley. It must be higher than the windshield, but that doesn't look very hard to do.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Well, I've officially lost touch with reality.. here it is, the beginning of the decent in to madness.

This was my first glimpse of it - I waited at the freeway offramp for about 20 minutes then this big bastard came rolling down the hill.

Because it was on a huge rear end semi truck, he couldn't deliver it directly to my house, it had to be dropped off about a mile away. The truck driver was really cool and told me the story of him picking it up in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma, he had to fend off some stray dogs with the spare fenders included with the car. He also said that his cross country trip was a bit more fun because people were asking him about the "moonshine mobile" whenever he would stop. Anyway we got the car unloaded and I proceeded to drive the car for the first time in heavy dusk traffic - it was smoking like a chimney, grinding every gear and no lights of any type.

once I got it in to the neighborhood it became less life threatening and actually fun.

The brakes are more of an idea than a reality, model a's were originally equipped with mechanical drum brakes... yes, non hydraulic, cam operated, asbestos lined, horse drawn carriage style brakes.

Lucky for me the previous owner had updated them with 1940 Ford hydraulic brakes!

that look like a child with an arc welder installed while high on acid. So again, the brakes are more of an idea than a reality, upon inspection I found that some creativity was involved with how they were installed, the good news for me is that all the parts are there (minus the backing plates which have been welded to the spindle) and when installed correctly would stop the car no problem and be much, much less sketchy.

for the first few days I'd sit and look at it, put it around the neighborhood, and look at it more. My fiance even got in on the action and learned to drive it, she is pissed because the seat does not move forward enough for her to reach the pedals comfortably, I reminded her that we are lucky that the 85 year old wood was still supporting us from falling through the 85 year old wooden floors of the car.

The seller had installed some fiberglass rear fenders on the car because the originals had rotted away long ago, but he had provided another set of steel fenders with the car that I had intended to put on.

off they came:

whoops..

here's the way I see it, in 1930 they made over 120,000 of these cars, for the first time I have a car that is basically meant to be hosed with, the cadillac and buicks can be to a point, but fully customized is not something I can do to a 1954 buick wagon of which only a handfull are known to exist, with this car, there are probably a lot more of them around than there ever were in 1930.

I'll leave you with this tidbit. some notes on the video: yes im wearing a stupid, hat, yes its vertical video, also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO96C0LkzN8

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yesssssss.

There's a reason everyone modded the gently caress out of that car - they're better that way.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
30's cars are beautiful. My boss is currently restoring his dads 35 with him. Its a beautiful blue color. Luckily for him someone not high on acid installed hydraulic brakes. He says its a Pheaton style. I just assumed it was a convertible but he always corrects everyone when they say its a convertible. Hes a cool old guy who has done things and seen things and his 50's crown Victoria next door to our shop is even nicer.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Holy poo poo I don't think I've ever seen a 30 Ford with its original front fenders. As soon as you pulled the fenders off I was like OH YEAH.

Awesome.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Making a bit more progress on this silly thing:

So I've made a decision regarding this engine, I want to keep it in there for at least a year, in the meantime I'll get the nailhead up and going and looking pretty and keep collecting parts- I have some information, that could be a rumor, but there could be an event that would make me keep the original banger. The beauty of this, over my other cars is that everything is made for this car, need a patch panel? order it, need some trim? Order it, need some backing plates for 1940 juice brakes? order it, need a hot cam, dual carb intake, headders ect for a 4 banger? gently caress it, order it. if I wanted any of these things for my buicks or the caddy, I would be searching for years.

*note that radiator looking thing on the exhaust manifold - that's actually a deluxe option.. a heater - its missing a top scoop thing that plumed it in to the car, you open this little butterfly vent on the firewall and you have a heater!

for my first trick:

I bought these windshield uprights and stanchions - It was a pretty stupid order, because I put them on, and held up my windshield frame and quickly realized that I like it SO much more without a windshield, but if I must, it requires some customization.. The original stanchions for this car were made of stamped steel - I found this set of cast aluminum ones on ebay, and figured that if I had to chop one down, this might be easiere to cut, weld and polish without dealing with the issues that stamped sheet metal might cause.

With the order I also got that lovely piece of trim for the cowl, as well as a rumble seat hinge kit, hood gaskets (made of cloth) and a few other trinkets.

My next task is to sort the brakes - I feel like all the parts I need are there, it just needs to be dialed in and a few parts rebuilt, with this kind of poo poo, i feel like it would be cheating myself if I just "fixed" them beacuse they are so jerry rigged its laughable.

I love the look of these wheels, they are 36-39 ford "wide five" rims - pretty similar to the early VW style rims - without getting too in depth, if I find a set of these drums, my backing plates would work just fine - BUT my front spindles need to be replaced due to the previous owner welding the backing plates to them.. ugh.

While I'm at it, it needs to be lowered a few inches - drop axle for the front costs about 250, and the rear "dropped" spring will set me back a whopping $95 bucks.

there is more that needs to be done -

this guy explains what has to happen with the wishbone suspension both front and rear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rex7xnG2PMY

It's all relatively cheap, but as usual one thing leads to another and next thing you know you've got a shitload of work to do!

looks like I need a welder!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Oh boy! Here we go again.

So over the last few months life has drastically changed, I thank you all for your previous kind words. I'm still in the midst of cleaning out the house and slowly moving my stuff in. A glaring problem that has reared its ugly head in the last few has been the fact that after last week I no longer have any running classic cars. I've been neglectful, and while no one can fault me for this, its actually costing me more money to have them sit than it is to have them functional. So lets go down the list:

1958 Cadillac
The mighty workhorse. Last week the trans sprung a leak and the fuel pump took a solid dump in the same day. I barely made it home. The car has been really reliable for the last 12 years, and while it's still drivable, there are a few issues I need to address.
1. the fuel pump cuts out at high speed and even after sitting for a few minutes, it has to draw fuel all the way from the tank again. I have one on the shelf, but its been there for the past 12 years.
2. it needs to have the trans looked at, its always been spotty, but if i were to pour a quart in, i'd have a quart on the driveway. it also slips 70% of the time due to the large leak.
3. Long overdue for an oil change
4. power steering pump leaks - I can hold off on this one, but it will have to be addressed soon.
5. could use a tune up (rotor, cap, plugs, wires)

1948 Buick
oh boy, where to begin. the car has been in storage for the past 8 months, it was taken off the road because the brakes were getting a bit sketchy. but sitting of course makes things worse. it too needs a lot.
1. While in storage the key was left on, killing my beautiful reproduction 1948 battery - still under warntee, but is a pain to claim.
2. because the key was left on, I have a feeling my pertronix unit is deep fried, usually when this happens, it also takes out the coil as well - on order.
3. I've been a stubborn idiot for the longest time about this, because its an electronic ignition it needs suppresson core wire, and after ive burned up a few of these units because of my folley, I tracked down a cloth covered version of the wire, but of course the color i want is on back order.
4. Brakes - could require a full, expensive overhaul. will investigate.
5. fluids need to be replaced.

1954 Buick Wagon
I'm getting close. - pictures and description coming soon

1930 Ford Model A
pictures to come.

So anyway - I'm going to document the progress.

Stay tuned.

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 9, 2015

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Ok Ok Ok - here's whats been up with the 54 Buick Wagon

So the last time you saw it, it looked like this:

It was running and close to being taken to the trans shop - that was on June 24. - 6 months later.. 3 of the 4 "new" old tires I put on it had burst, the battery went dead as a door - nail and of course the new electric fuel pump took a dump.

I'm giving up my storage spot because owners of the building need more spots for their business, and while they haven't asked, I feel its coming, so I'd rather remove it before I'm asked to remove it.

So no more bullshit,

first things first, I was able to get a new battery under warranty, but those fuckers just dont want to give anything up for free.

Then it was time to focus on the 3 flat tires.

Bam - I had the wheels blasted and powder coated the optional original color "Matador Red"

The guy who did the wheels said that the back of them was encrusted in crud about a quarter inch thick - I laughed and told him he should see the rest of the suspension.

Pretty fresh. I really like looking at the color combo on this so much I haven't affixed the hubcaps yet. I was worried that the car would look too Christmas-e with the red on green, but the red has just enough orange in it that it really becomes a great color combo - the original emblems on the side are also supposed to have a red circle around the first letter of the model

So a few days ago I was busy removing the old fuel pump and this happened:

That's right, it was engine install day for the 79 Kenworth K100 - this truck belongs to a friend and I was there helping out. he did not specify that he wanted the 1967 ford Champion crane to come do it, the company just sent the oldie because it was the best for the job.

Champion crane company also made BMX bikes in the 70s and 80s so it was even more of a treat to see this thing.

The crane was powered by a industrial ford straight 6, the operator said that they use this particular unit for all of the finite jobs because of its silky smooth action, he said that there isn't anything in his fleet that has the same fluid movement that this does. he was so good, he was able to give us a half inch at a time as the motor was being eased down on to the mounts. The absoulte coolest thing is that the movement of the truck can be controlled from the crane nest.

god forbid the trucker that leaves his coffee (or anything for that matter) in the cab before service.

proportion is hard to gather from this photo. this engine weighs over 6000 pounds

Long story short, the engine was installed without incident - the operator of this old workhorse was an absolute master of his craft, we would literally say - "about a half inch this way" and 6k of metal would silently move in to place.

more fun soon.

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Dec 9, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That color combination with the green paint and red wheels really does work on that car.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Gruen curvex? I have a 1930s one I was willed by my Grandfather when he passed, they're excellent watches. Your mom had excellent taste, my condolences.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

That color combination with the green paint and red wheels really does work on that car.

agreeeed.

that K100 is absolutely mint too.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Shampoo posted:

Gruen curvex? I have a 1930s one I was willed by my Grandfather when he passed, they're excellent watches. Your mom had excellent taste, my condolences.

Thank you determined it's actually a 1938 Gruen "Jason" - a member of the curvex family, but I guess it actually came with this bracelet. I try to wear it at least once a week, but I find myself worried about it more than enjoying it.

Woo! finally extracted!

shouldn't be long now..

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm probably in the minority here but I think your new Ford looks loving amazing exactly as is with the fenders and everything. Personally I think the hotrod look is a little played these days. Put in a bigger flathead, maybe with a supercharger or something, but I think it's awesome with the fenders and the black paint.

On the other hand, it's your car and you need to make it yours, I'm sure it'll look great no matter what you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm probably in the minority here but I think your new Ford looks loving amazing exactly as is with the fenders and everything. Personally I think the hotrod look is a little played these days. Put in a bigger flathead, maybe with a supercharger or something, but I think it's awesome with the fenders and the black paint.

On the other hand, it's your car and you need to make it yours, I'm sure it'll look great no matter what you do.

In a way I agree, when I first became interested in early EARLY stuff I thought it was sacrilege to do this to a car, up until now. I started looking at prices of used original fenders, running boards ect and everything that I pulled off the car can be had for so cheap, because there is so much of this stuff out there. The first drive with the fenders off was a very, very interesting thing, its so dangerous and fun. Pretty much everything has been done with these cars, and they are far from unique. Even with the little banger in it, its just so drat fun

That being said, I still have the fenders.. just in case I ever want a change

• Locked thread