Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MullardEL34 posted:

Adding another vintage TV to the Tome.
1957 RCA RCA 14-S-7052.
It took about 20 capacitors and a new Horizontal output tube to get it working. The Picture tube is weak, but I was able to use the rejuvenation function on my Sencore CR-31a CRT tester to buy a little time until i can find a good CRT. For now it works well enough and is serving well as my back porch TV. A leatherworker from the local Ren Faire is making me a new handle for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE6zMgv_4ec
Bonus back porch action shot taken just after Cleveland won the NBA finals and our curse was broken.

Lobsterboy, sorry for making GBS threads up your thread btw.

How are you getting that TV to work as an actual TV? Do you have some kind of digital OTA adapter for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackie the Mick
Nov 10, 2003
Don' say we neva did nuthin fah yuz.
Did someone say Predicta?

I just picked this up a couple of weeks ago. I've been looking for one for years, but they've always been either WAY out of my price range, too far away, or utter garbage. I saw this one on craigslist and it was only an hour away, and, though the picture was small and lovely, it looked alright. So, I texted the guy and started haggling. Once we settled on a price, I went to look at it, and was very pleasantly surprised. First off, I thought it was a 17" Princess model in the picture, but it turned out that it was actually a 21" 1958 Holiday WITH the elusive cart. Plus, it turned on! The seller told me that he never actually hooked it up to anything or tried to get a channel on it, it was just office decoration. I could tell he wasn't lying because the screen cover was so dirty on the inside that even when it was turned on you couldn't even see the static. Anyway, I loaded it up and took it home, then my wife and I took it apart, and cleaned it. (so, so smelly) It looked great, and powered up, but it was another week until I actually sat down and adjusted everything well enough that we could watch anything on it. I've not even begun re-capping it yet, but I'm pretty pleased so far.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

Jackie the Mick posted:

I just picked this up a couple of weeks ago. I've been looking for one for years, but they've always been either WAY out of my price range, too far away, or utter garbage. I saw this one on craigslist and it was only an hour away, and, though the picture was small and lovely, it looked alright. So, I texted the guy and started haggling. Once we settled on a price, I went to look at it, and was very pleasantly surprised. First off, I thought it was a 17" Princess model in the picture, but it turned out that it was actually a 21" 1958 Holiday WITH the elusive cart. Plus, it turned on! The seller told me that he never actually hooked it up to anything or tried to get a channel on it, it was just office decoration. I could tell he wasn't lying because the screen cover was so dirty on the inside that even when it was turned on you couldn't even see the static. Anyway, I loaded it up and took it home, then my wife and I took it apart, and cleaned it. (so, so smelly) It looked great, and powered up, but it was another week until I actually sat down and adjusted everything well enough that we could watch anything on it. I've not even begun re-capping it yet, but I'm pretty pleased so far.

orgasmic! I reallly need one of these!

So I was having lots of fun driving my wagon around

until my water pump went out - no biggie, Ive been fooling with this car for awhile, but not as in depth as I should have, I really just got it running and drove it. Well, to make a long story short, There are 3 heater cores in this car, as well as a transmission cooler that pumps water down to the transmission - egads. Since the weather here really doesnt warrant a heater, I decided to remove it, all 20' of heater hose:

I talked with a lot of people and I've been assured that if the transmission cooler fails, the atf will leak in to the water, not the other way around, however this still has me worried, so I replaced the hoses anyway and we can just hope for the best.

the water pump on this car is very modern in a way, in that it is just a casting with an impeller on it, and it bolts to the timing cover which is actually the basis for the pump itself:

The model A is coming along well, but slowly,

I got it back on the ground, but none of the steering or brakes are hooked up yet, but it looks so drat good, I just stare at it and scratch my head as to how I own something like it.

the house is still taking a big part of my time, I got a few good jobs over the past few weeks, so I havent been in the trenches like I was, but I've pretty much remodeled my bathroom on a $2000 budget

heres our new retro style sinks that we wound up settling on because vintage was just too hard to find - If I only had one sink, it would have been dead easy, but we needed 2 so it became a tall order.

I also finally got my neon clock!

more later

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Digging the neon. I have a radio station clock with the same shade of green neon...

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How are you getting that TV to work as an actual TV? Do you have some kind of digital OTA adapter for it?

It's a Roku fed into a used cable tv head end modulator tuned to Channel 9 connected to a wire dipole antenna cut to the proper length for the frequency of channel 9 and stapled to my attic trusses. These old cableco modulators put out over a watt of power so I have it turned down just enough to cover my house and yard. I use my iPhone to control the Roku. The whole setup is hidden in a bedroom closet.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MullardEL34 posted:

It's a Roku fed into a used cable tv head end modulator tuned to Channel 9 connected to a wire dipole antenna cut to the proper length for the frequency of channel 9 and stapled to my attic trusses. These old cableco modulators put out over a watt of power so I have it turned down just enough to cover my house and yard. I use my iPhone to control the Roku. The whole setup is hidden in a bedroom closet.

I like how much more complicated you've made this than the solution I had in my head.

Congratulations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

I like how much more complicated you've made this than the solution I had in my head.

Congratulations.

Ha yes in agreement but still wow!

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Congratulations.
I have a bunch of old TV's around the house and the cheap RF modulators you can buy at retail stores almost universally put out a crappy, often off frequency, noisy RF signal that old tube tv tuners seem to hate. Sometimes I like to power up my whole collection to show people and the hacked together transmitter lets me feed video to all my sets without running coax all over the house. Plus I can take my 1964 Singer 8" portable and 10lb accessory lead acid battery pack that fits in a shoulder bag and watch netflix in the backyard while grilling or chilling out. (This was never about convenience or simplicity lol.)

Jackie the Mick posted:

The screen covers for Predictas were made of some sort of corn based cellulosic plastic that develops a white powdery film with age and smells like the devil's rear end in a top hat when you clean it. Ford used to use the stuff for interior parts.
Just a word of warning, due to the way that philco designed the chassis on those sets, they are a nightmare to recap. Lots of wire-wrapped connections and you have to unsolder dozens of connections and ground stakes just to get to the under side of the brittle rear end phenolic circuit board that has been baked by hot tubes for years. Don't even get me started about Couplates. The Predicta bankrupted Philco and most TV shops refused to work on them when they were new. It's kinda sad because they look so drat cool.
Shango066 did a good set of videos on restoring one of the Barberpole sets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXupqHf19Q4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1Usz0FUgAU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLxwArfLn5Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg_QDbhARqc

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 2, 2016

Jackie the Mick
Nov 10, 2003
Cool. Thanks for those links. Part of me just wants to leave it as it is and enjoy it. That's the part that is afraid of either loving it up or getting half-way into it and realizing I'm over my head. I mean...it DOES work, it's just a little distorted. I dunno. I think right now I'm going to just let it be as it is, since it isn't like I don't have a zillion other projects. Like my various house projects, or my 64 lincoln, or my 88 635CSi, or my wife's 81 Honda Passport, or my old Philco Hippo, or...

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Welp, Never say never, I guess.

(photo taken after I pulled the Chassis, I have all the knobs.)
A Predicta followed me home today... It's a Tandem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvAgLFg57eE
The CRT is attached to a 25ft lead shielded cable so that you can move the CRT around the living room and use the TV chassis as an end table/remote speaker/giant remote control. These are almost as rare as the Barberpole Predicta because the idea of dragging around a 30lb picture tube assembly and 15lb lead shielded cable was totally impractical even in 1959, especially since Zenith, Magnavox, GE, and RCA were already selling TV's with ultrasonic and RF (RCA)remote controls that fit in the palm of your hand by the time the Tandem came to market.
It's a perfect example of why Philco went Bankrupt in 1960.
At $150, It was complete, and too cheap to pass up.

The chassis is roached. This is gonna be fu...:unsmigghh:

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Sep 26, 2016

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Something followed me home the other day.

My wife said I could keep it.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

joat mon posted:

Something followed me home the other day.

My wife said I could keep it.

Oh god.
Does it have the power back glass? :fap:

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 28, 2016

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

MullardEL34 posted:

Oh god.
Does it have the power back glass? :fap:

It does!

And strange electrical fiddly bits:

1000vAC

Its best side:

How did Ford shove all 19 feet of the Mark IV down the memory hole?

joat mon fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 28, 2016

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
That think looks like it's gonna drive at the nearest living thing and kill it.

It's so pretty.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Holy poo poo that is mint. Even right down to the hubcaps

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Holy poo poo that rules so hard.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Need parts?

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

It's....ALIVEEEE!!!!!
MUAHAHAHA!!!
:science:

I replaced all the open power resistors on the filament string, did a complete recap of the paper caps, and now I have *video (*sometimes)
There is a cold solder joint somewhere on the main video PCB, as occasionally I lose input signal to the video amp tube and the screen flickers to a blank white raster. The sound is also way out of alignment, but meh, It's a start.

Jackie the Mick
Nov 10, 2003
Very jealous. If I weren't a huge loving pussy, I would recap mine asap.

Kurten
May 28, 2001

100% less banned. 50% more sober. 0% less bitter. NOW WITH LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE!
Glad you are doing well Lobster!

I've moved in a different direction away from wheels and into water, myself. 60's into 70's now. Its all good.

Cheers bud.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Kurten posted:

Glad you are doing well Lobster!

I've moved in a different direction away from wheels and into water, myself. 60's into 70's now. Its all good.

Cheers bud.

Man, this thread has some really old things that haven't been around for years in it.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

MullardEL34 posted:

It's....ALIVEEEE!!!!!
MUAHAHAHA!!!
:science:

I replaced all the open power resistors on the filament string, did a complete recap of the paper caps, and now I have *video (*sometimes)
There is a cold solder joint somewhere on the main video PCB, as occasionally I lose input signal to the video amp tube and the screen flickers to a blank white raster. The sound is also way out of alignment, but meh, It's a start.

Would it be possible to put "modern" (i.e. color CRT) innards in one of those, or are they a non-(or rather pre-)standard size/shape? (Yeah, blasphemy, but equivalent to putting an LS in an old car ... or a Mopar Elephant in a '55 Chevy. :v: )

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The control circuitry is unique to the electron gun configuration, so I don't think so, maybe.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You'd have to find a new tube that fits in the first place. Good luck with that.

Newer "modern" tubes are a lot less bulgy.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Seminal Flu posted:

Man, this thread has some really old things that haven't been around for years in it.

You ain't kidding... Just need FleetwoodS75 or Rizzunk to show up.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

sharkytm posted:

You ain't kidding... Just need FleetwoodS75 or Rizzunk to show up.

Maybe HonkNRalph, sza, or even Toilet Duck!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I think HonkNRalph is still ashamed over the girlfriend post

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

DJ Commie posted:

Maybe HonkNRalph, sza, or even Toilet Duck!

I still have the sza medallion, complete with cracked green paint from the Firebird of doom. :(

Ralph disappeared after the girlfriend photo debacle.

Kurten
May 28, 2001

100% less banned. 50% more sober. 0% less bitter. NOW WITH LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE!

Seminal Flu posted:

Not sure who this is. Name changes over the years I imagine. Hello? :)

DJ, you old bastard, how are you? Sharky: you young bastard, how are you?

YouAmI: jesus christ, you still here? Did you ever get that shitbag falcon 4 door beast running or what? :)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Kurten posted:

Meatpimp played the GBS name-change lottery and lost. Or won, depending on how you look at it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Kurten posted:

DJ, you old bastard, how are you? Sharky: you young bastard, how are you?

YouAmI: jesus christ, you still here? Did you ever get that shitbag falcon 4 door beast running or what? :)

Getting older, own my own business... Can't complain. No car related poo poo aside from the boring-est of boring maintenance.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Delivery McGee posted:

Would it be possible to put "modern" (i.e. color CRT) innards in one of those, or are they a non-(or rather pre-)standard size/shape? (Yeah, blasphemy, but equivalent to putting an LS in an old car ... or a Mopar Elephant in a '55 Chevy. :v: )

Most likely not possible. The Predicta CRT's were pretty drat shallow, had an insane deflection angle, and had a neck shorter than most color TV sets made in the 90's. Trying to fit a shadow mask three gun color tube into a predicta housing would require major modification.
Back in 2004, Samsung, LG, and Philips actually released ultra slim CRT's that were 16" deep, screen face to tube socket. They sold like four of them before reasonably priced Plasma and LCD displays hit the market and ate their lunch before it was even served.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Oct 28, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I had a super slim crt, that was allegedly "HD." No HDMI, but it had component, and my 360 looked good on it.

Definitely not an option, though. The Predicta is perfect as-is.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I had a super slim crt, that was allegedly "HD." No HDMI, but it had component, and my 360 looked good on it.

My parents have a 1080p CRT. No HDMI either, though it has 3 component inputs.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The solution I see would be a flatscreen inside, with similar to the original screen profile glass in front to give the correct appearance.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MullardEL34 posted:

Back in 2004, Samsung, LG, and Philips actually released ultra slim CRT's that were 16" deep, screen face to tube socket. They sold like four of them before reasonably priced Plasma and LCD displays hit the market and ate their lunch before it was even served.

They also had major issues with geometry, sharpness and chromatic abberation due to the sharp deflection angles.

Jackie the Mick
Nov 10, 2003

InitialDave posted:

The solution I see would be a flatscreen inside, with similar to the original screen profile glass in front to give the correct appearance.

Yeah, I've thought about very, very carefully packing the guts of the TV away and putting a 20-21" 4:3 LCD inside the housing so I can use it more often without loving up the virtually irreplaceable components. Plus, it wouldn't get as hot, therefore it wouldn't smell bad after an hour of watching it.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
This TV stuff is out of control, I love it!

Been real busy with house, cars, work and holidays, but I figured I'd make a pic dump

I unearthed the original 1938 screen door to my house and mounted it up, I think it adds a real vintage touch to it. My buddy works for the studios as a carpenter and I had him take the screen door to the mill and fix it up.

Mildly getting back in to bicycles, although I've sold a lot of them off - This one is a 1939 Hiawatha Arrow that a friend of mine was borrowing for a long while (4 years)

LA has been getting a lot more rain than it has in the last few years, so I took some downtime to move the bikes in the garage and under cover - on the right is a one year only paint scheme 1953 Roadmaster Luxury Liner and the left is an all chrome 1952 Firestone Super Cruiser Imperial

I also put out my 1910 New England for halloween with its original owner

here's the other part of the halloween setup

and finally this, I was hiding in the back under the blood stained sheet popping up and scaring children for life.

I picked up this hand carved tiki to guard the garage and put a cool light on him

I've been working a bit on the buick wagon too - repainted the tailgate emblem and got the rear bumper guards chromed - I havent put the guards on yet, because I'd like to get the rear bumper chromed too, but I have to prioritize my car projects

I also have been working a lot on the roadster

worked a deal to trade with a friend for this old header, It was in really rough shape, but I sanded it, painted it and wrapped it.

here's the carb setup - the intake is a very rare Ansen, its actually supposed to work with the stock overhead exhaust manifold, but it will work better with this header. Not pictured is the new self advancing distributor

I got it rolling again, and decided it was best to take it to a friends shop to finish off the brake and suspension work

I like the way it sits, but it could go a bit lower in the back, I got a de-arced model T rear spring that hopefully will drop it a few more inches - the alternative is z'ing the frame in the rear which I want to do, but at this point I just want to enjoy it

I also got this "Spartan Bugle" for the car, but it needs air pressure to run - haven't quite figured that one out yet

when installed it should sound something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZegcXOZ0jo

Meanwhile

this short lived 1928 truck was a quick flip with some friends, my friend actually kept the frame and engine for his T-roadster project

still cruising every week

Slowly working on this piggy too, slowly:

this is a "passing eye" mirror that is used to see in front of a slow moving vehicle you want to pass.

Speaking of pigs - we picked this thing up too for parts

but it will most likely be put together with the leftovers - this car is VERY rusty

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Gaaahhhh...I want that '58 Super!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
Lobster, did I see you at Damon's in Glendale the other week? I was having dinner with my girlfriend and her mom and couldn't make it over to see if it was you or not.

• Locked thread