Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

LobsterboyX posted:

the SMEG:

the Big Chill

and the NorthStar

If you were wondering, those images weren't working because they are hosted on sites with apparently busted SSL certs. I rehosted on imgur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

BoostCreep posted:

I saw this lot with some awesome older cars in Glendale today and thought of you. Apparently these cars are all passively for sale and there's pressure from nearby businesses to get rid of them. Figured I would post these here. If anyone would want to save these cars (or knew someone who would) it'd be you.

I went back to this place today and could not find any contact info for the owner. There is a mailbox there with half a dozen notes from people asking to buy the cars and leaving their phone numbers. So I don't know what the deal is. Shame to see such nice cars rotting away.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Magnus Praeda posted:

Your friend does good work. That's a very attractive fridge. How much more does it cost to run a vintage fridge like that than a modern one?

I re-wired this '39 GE and replaced the dying relay with a solid-state unit (there's a guy out there that builds them; they're a hell of a lot cheaper than vintage, and work great). I have been running this for the last eight years or so and have noticed no appreciable increase in electricity consumption. It's also quiet as a church.

(edit) also re-gasketed the door with 3M automotive tape seal, and verified it with a paper-pull test. The original seals were shot to poo poo...which will affect your juice consumption. Plus, you'd have to defrost it all of the time.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 8, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Another problem with old fridges (besides door seals) is if they have an old compressor (like pancake style), and a thermostat that has long cut ins and outs. Those old compressors used more energy in the first place, and the pistons, rings and bores are going to be worn just like a car engine gets worn. the old t/stats run for too long just because they have such a high cut in (like 8C just to make sure the coils defrosts a bit before cycling), they are pretty erractic for holding temp in general and can't hold a 3C hysteresis.

lastly, and perhaps the biggest problem is the insulation. Probably fiberglass or wool, and it would have broken down, got compressed or even got a little moist over the years and become next to useless.

If you get a new compressor, t/stat control and re-insulate them, they would be OK but still use twice the power of a modern fridge. Even my 90s fridge uses twice the power of a modern fridge.
E: That said, I'd love one. I had a 1950s fridge for a short time (my neighbour had it in his shed and the gave it to me after I fixed his a/c. That 1950s house was the first and only house he'd bought/lived in. And that fridge was the first fridge he ever owned). I used it for homebrewing for a while but could't take it with me when I moved house

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 8, 2017

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Doesn't sound too bad, all told, then. It would be cool to have a fridge that matches my house's age (1930s-1940s). If I luck into one for particularly cheap, I may do the updates to get it up to snuff. But I think a modern one that fits the look may be what I ultimately go with.

That being said, I'm way too much of a Red Dwarf fan to have this in my house without giggling like an idiot every time I walked into my kitchen:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Magnus Praeda posted:

That being said, I'm way too much of a Red Dwarf fan to have this in my house without giggling like an idiot every time I walked into my kitchen:

That's exactly why I want one but as already mentioned they cost a fortune

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Possibly of relevance to this thread:

https://imgur.com/gallery/Xgvxr

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

InitialDave posted:

Possibly of relevance to this thread:

https://imgur.com/gallery/Xgvxr

I love this kind of stuff! That's awesome.

MullardEL34 posted:

I have another addition to The Tome. This time it's a 1945 Detrola 568 Radio. The model 568 was originally designed and built to fill a government contract for a "Morale" Radio for US troops involved in the invasion of mainland Japan (Operation Downfall) in WWII. The war ended before the production contract could be completed, leaving Detrola with thousands of metal cased AM/Shortwave radios painted in olive drab. Detrola decided to make lemonade out of lemons, cut the welded-on carry handles off, paint them hammer-tone silver, and sell them to desperate US consumers who hadn't been able to buy new radios since 1942.
This radio was purchased on ebay two weeks ago. on Monday evening I repainted the cabinet in original hammer-tone silver and recapped the chassis. I found a new Detrola decal to replace the one that had been lost to rust and abuse, it's in the mail and should be here soon.

Before Photo:

Got one!

I paid more for this than any radio I've ever bought - a whole $50 and its all your fault! I'd say its worth it, because it fires right up and plays great. I was listening to the local AM oldies station 1260 - It's really great that LA has an oldies station on AM again, sadly there are few really cool songs, they focus mostly on jazz standards which doesn't thrill me nearly as much.

in other news, I got married!

funny note about that banner on the back of my car... A friend of mine was at a church rummage sale in corona ca - one of the people selling there was a 90 year old woman who was selling off some of her stuff because she was moving in to a retirement home - the story went that she got married in 47 and these banners were used that day, she made them herself. My friend was so moved by that story that he bought them for us he said she was thrilled that her old junk could bring young people so much joy. I put one on the car, and the other we had our guests sign.

we also got some awesome gifts:

the car got us through our wedding but is in much need of attention. more on this later.

We had planned to do a few small honeymoons, our first we left the next week after our wedding, I'll spare you the token details, but we chose a few places in CA that, IMHO were the coolest, vintage places that one could stay.

one place in particular I had never stayed at before:

this is "The Victorian Mansion Bed & Breakfast" located in Los Alamos Ca. - the house itself was built in the 1800s and was originally located in Nipomo ca - in 1980 a eccentric man purchased the house for a insanely low sum and moved it to where it sits now. Next door to this place is one of the oldest surviving hotels in CA - the Union hotel. If you're ever headed north on the 101, Los Alamos is a stop you need to make. So on to the hotel.

with newlywed plaid game on fleek, we checked in

to our room

thats right, this is the "1950s room" - complete with 1956 Cadillac bed, japanese soaking tub and best of all movie screen projector to make it feel like you are in a drive in.

the car is a 100% real 1956 cadillac convertible, not just a coupe chopped, this thing is the real deal - probably in 1980 you could purchase one for cheap, but in todays money this is a $40-50k car. The DVD player is located in the glove box and the speaker is a real drive in movie speaker, that works.

This place is incredible, there are 6 rooms and each of them is themed over the top - We will be staying here again. The two other places we stayed were the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo and the Awahnee hotel in Yosemite - both of equal amazingness.

Upon our return, I took the roadster out and promptly blew a head gasket.

much cleaning later:

and we're back in biz... kinda - my water pump is pretty bad, I'm taking a field trip this weekend to get a new one and I decided to install some adjustable main jets on my 94 carb which I did tonight.

So back to the Buick:

not that one... this one...

Since I got this car, I've been limping it around, and its really been in need of some attention. Someone "did" this car before I got it, and while they had good intentions they were very un-skilled in the art of putting cars back together. So the engine was rebuilt but it leaks and burns oil, the transmission is the same, suspension and sooooooo on - before the wedding I decided that it was necessary for the suspension to be gone through for safety sake, it was discovered that it needed a serious overhaul - I was up against a wall so I made the choice to have it done. All thats left to do on it is to install a set of stock springs, because the ride is complete poo poo.

one of the biggest problems the car had was whoever did the lines on this car did them so poorly that the car vapor locks - I'm currently installing a new dual carb/exhaust manifold and re-doing all the lines, however to install the manifolds I have to modify the engine mount, which I am not prepared to do - no tools, no time, not enough fabrication skill to make it happen, in addition to that, I have to drill and tap a hole in the head of the car which scares the daylights out of me, because if I gently caress it up... I wont be able to find another head, or I'll have one hell of a machine shop bill.

SO - im in a bit of a pinch. Do I bend over backwards to get the duals setup or, just go back to stock and make it run right - I'm leaning towards just rebuilding the original carb, re-installing it and re-doing all the lines. I wont get rid of the dual setup, it will just sit on the shelf until I have the time to devote to it.

now time for some random stuff:

in the last few years SInclair is making a comeback to So-Cal - and I'm thrilled!

$10 Estate sale find - 1958 Toro lawnmower

$100 Estate sale find - 1941 Western flyer bike - add another 0 to my purchase price and thats what it's actually worth

lastly, I'm going to be spending the next month or so expanding my business!

However I'm going to be busy until feburary because I just signed up to go back to work with my previous employer... the national funball league. :(

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 24, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

LobsterboyX posted:

Maybe a rarity in the US, but the British comic Eagle always used to have a centre spread of a cutaway like that. There's a hardback book that collates a lot of them.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Holy crap that 50s themed motel room is incredible. Congrats on getting married!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

LobsterboyX posted:

in the last few years SInclair is making a comeback to So-Cal - and I'm thrilled!

I nearly had an accident in central/north Jersey this past summer, doing a triple-take: they'd opened a Sinclair in South Plainfield.

Last operating Sinclair station I saw before that was in my hometown outside Phila....in 1968.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There's one here in Phoenix. Super sketchy.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

They've been around Lad Vegas for a while.

Congratulations on your wedding!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

LobsterboyX posted:

Got one!

I paid more for this than any radio I've ever bought - a whole $50 and its all your fault! I'd say its worth it, because it fires right up and plays great. I was listening to the local AM oldies station 1260 - It's really great that LA has an oldies station on AM again, sadly there are few really cool songs, they focus mostly on jazz standards which doesn't thrill me nearly as much.

in other news, I got married!
Congrats Dude, on the Detrola, (and the marriage!)

You got one of the early ones that still had the JAN (Joint-Army-Navy) MILSPEC handle attached!
One thing. No matter how good your 568 plays now, the main electrolytic filter capacitor can is a dual section Mallory or Sprague time-bomb that will short sooner rather than later. Even if you don't want to recap the whole radio, just replace the two electrolytic caps in that can. There is plenty of space under the chassis to do so.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 27, 2017

• Locked thread