Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Epsilon Plus posted:

What's your record on me, nowadays?

This is a pretty bad posts. I'm gonna say... the worst?

I dunno, but I hope you're not town because my gut is telling me I'm right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Somberbrero posted:

I dunno, but I hope you're not town because my gut is telling me I'm right here.

Your gut should avoid Vegas.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Murmur Twin posted:

These posts ping me as forced...

I concur.

##vote ghostly gangsta

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Murmur Twin posted:

These posts ping me as forced - basically they address jokeposts and have questions to that they seem like they're progressing the conversation, but don't really add anything.

This vote seems like it's placed out of an obligation to post, not out of suspicion of Opop. There's no explanation as to why and no real interest in getting others to see his point of view. GG - what specifically makes Opop read as scummy to you?

There's little content to go on or at least so I thought. Also wasn't sure about the transitioning out of joke phase. It's not a serious vote and forced is probably the best way to put it.

I don't have the rapport so its the equivalent of trying to fit in/effort posting to avoid death until I can really get some opinions.

Opop though joking took a dishonest stance and from the mostly content devoid early game/joke phase, I figured a vote on Opop wasn't the worst choice I could have made.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
GG does read scummy, or at least awkward. I think he's the most likely false positive in this game though, he's just kind of scummy. I'd vote him to avoid a no-lunch but probably not otherwise.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Somberbrero posted:

I think he's the most likely false positive in this game though
I think I've read him scum almost every game I've seen him in and I'm pretty sure I haven't seen him flip scum yet

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Look Under The Rock posted:

I dislike this post

What did you dislike about the post that you referenced?

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Somberbrero posted:

GG does read scummy, or at least awkward. I think he's the most likely false positive in this game though, he's just kind of scummy. I'd vote him to avoid a no-lunch but probably not otherwise.

Don't know how to quite fit in, so I think everything I do comes across as forced, bizarre or dumb. I'm working on it.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
atleast you stopped posting in all-cursive so that's definitely a step in the right direction

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Sorry, didn't mean to be a dick about it. You're fine, Gangsta.

Feel pretty good about this exchange too v:shobon:v

MT, is there a reason you didn't vote Gangsta in that post you made?

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

HiipFire posted:

atleast you stopped posting in all-cursive so that's definitely a step in the right direction

Here's to many more steps in the right direction.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
inb4 you're scum this game and you just coast on everyone saying you always sound scummy

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Somberbrero posted:

Sorry, didn't mean to be a dick about it. You're fine, Gangsta.

Feel pretty good about this exchange too v:shobon:v

Nah, you weren't a dick about it. You were right haha. Thanks.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

HiipFire posted:

inb4 you're scum this game and you just coast on everyone saying you always sound scummy

I do sound scummy. I think I sound scummy IRL probably :ohdear:

For the record, I did flip scum once though. It was in three axis.

This is my 5th game, 3x Town, 1x Scum and although it probably doesn't help much to say it, I'm town this game.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
oh you did flip scum in 3 axis huh how about that

i was too occupied with winning to pay attention to names :)

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I'm not seeing Opopanax as scum you guys. Hypercharger was obviously a joke give me a break.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

why are you guys bringing up who was scum in previous games?

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I'm not seeing Opopanax as scum you guys. Hypercharger was obviously a joke give me a break.

Do you have any reads at the moment?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Ghostly Gangsta posted:

Do you have any reads at the moment?
## unvote

I do not let me review

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

why are you guys bringing up who was scum in previous games?

Gangsta is pretty new and he's been read as generally scummy across a lot of his games, I'm hesitant to push him day one just for sounding awkward.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

I'M NOT

##VOTE GANGSTA GANGSTA

RAWR I AM THE STRONGEST

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Somberbrero posted:

No real reason - thinking about it, I'd say it's that my other two votes (you and Opop) were jokeposts that used the vote as the punchline, whereas my case on GG was me actually trying to gauge if he was scum. I (think that I?) try to reserve votes for cases I feel strongly about.

Ghostly Gangsta posted:

Don't know how to quite fit in, so I think everything I do comes across as forced, bizarre or dumb. I'm working on it.

I suffered from "everything I say comes across as forced"-itis for my first few months playing. This sounds a lot like how I felt in my first few games and I'm inclined to believe it for now.

## unvote

I do not let me review

I find these two posts (which I crammed into one quote) to be suspicious:

- Arguing that someone isn't scum is an easy way for scum to generate an opinion without having to lie.
- "Let me review" strikes me as a redundant thing to say since town should already be looking for scum suspects without being prompted.

I'll withhold further opinion on NGO pending their coming reads.

Opopanax posted:

Sometimes I FOS someone if my gut picks something up but I don't have time to look into it

Alasdair Crawfish posted:

literally the only reason not to is if you don't want to leave behind a voting record (in which case what do you have to hide?)

in fact even though executing hiipfire would be cool and good Opopanax is literally pre emptively defending not leaving a good voting record

##vote Opopanax

This rationale for voting Opop seems less-than-genuine to me. I personally don't see anything wrong with pressing people that you're not sure of without voting for them, and have trouble imagining how my brain would take that and jump to "pre-emptively defending not leaving a good voting record" (in a game where our post histories are easily accessible) unless I was trying to lead a mislynch.

Alasdair - do you actually think casing people without laying votes is a scumtell?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

##vote LUTR

Last few posts are pinging. Responded to my obvious joking way too earnestly, jumped on an easy vote in GG with little reasoning, and...Well that's about it, he's got 8 posts and 2 or 3 are from before the game started.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

yeah opop convinced me

in the scumdoc

##vote lutr

also lutr is a she

she told me in the scumdoc

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I mean, the reasoning was in the post right before hers? I dunno.

The line questioning regarding Alasdair seems silly. His point is valid at face value, I would be willing to vote Opop. I also think that it's very strange that Alasdair's point is suspect when we're this early in the game. Some way worse votes have been thrown out recently.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Somberbrero posted:

I mean, the reasoning was in the post right before hers? I dunno.

The line questioning regarding Alasdair seems silly. His point is valid at face value, I would be willing to vote Opop. I also think that it's very strange that Alasdair's point is suspect when we're this early in the game. Some way worse votes have been thrown out recently.

Wait what, what point? That I think FOSing is an ok thing to do sometimes?

Alaster
Nov 18, 2006

Hanging just next to your door in the hallway is a painting of an EXQUISITE WIZARD. Your mother collects these awful things IRONICALLY.

Murmur Twin posted:

This rationale for voting Opop seems less-than-genuine to me. I personally don't see anything wrong with pressing people that you're not sure of without voting for them, and have trouble imagining how my brain would take that and jump to "pre-emptively defending not leaving a good voting record" (in a game where our post histories are easily accessible) unless I was trying to lead a mislynch.

Alasdair - do you actually think casing people without laying votes is a scumtell?

yes. if you are town you have nothing to hide by putting down a vote on the current person you feel is worth executing the most (except obviously if you're in lylo or in a position where every vote counts). literally the only reason not to is to hide a voting record, which is scummy.

Alaster
Nov 18, 2006

Hanging just next to your door in the hallway is a painting of an EXQUISITE WIZARD. Your mother collects these awful things IRONICALLY.
FoS is dumb garbage and you should be embarrassed for doing it.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Opopanax posted:

##vote LUTR

Last few posts are pinging. Responded to my obvious joking way too earnestly, jumped on an easy vote in GG with little reasoning, and...Well that's about it, he's got 8 posts and 2 or 3 are from before the game started.

For real if you wanna claim that someone responded to an obvious joke way too earnestly you should probably not post "I'm not joking guys" because then someone might actually take you seriously

Like this seems fairly obvious to me, I'm not sure when the meta switched over to "liars get a pass when they say they were joking" but I'm way too old school for that poo poo and the post you seem to be mainly calling me out for is literally me saying this exact thing. And you're calling me out for being earnest? Really? When did earnestness become a scumtell?

I think my post "pinged" you because you pushed me to claim and I pushed back. I was asking you to either drop the joke or own your claim and you're mad I ruined your fun or something. Either way if you're really trying to criticize me for responding seriously to a claim that wasn't as obvious a joke as you seem to think it was, you're out of your mind.

As for my vote on GG if you want me to go through and write up a case on him that's fine and I'll do it but it sure feels like you're trying to create drama in order to take the heat off yourself.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Also Opop I know it just happened but Ernie did the same thing you're voting LUTR for. Whatcha think 'bout that?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

Also Opop I know it just happened but Ernie did the same thing you're voting LUTR for. Whatcha think 'bout that?

no? i did the opposite? the exact opposite!

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Yeah actually after reading the last couple pages it really does feel like Opop is trying to push a case on me to get the spotlight off them, ##vote Opop

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yes, I was very worried about being -5

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

in my humble opopinion, opop is town

Alaster
Nov 18, 2006

no opop is scum. lets kill him.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
i remember when i was -5

ahh good times

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

i had a night 0 investigation on opop

he's town

unvote, you fools

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Opopanax posted:

Yes, I was very worried about being -5

It's not the votes themselves, sure you were -5 but there's two or three others saying they'd be pretty happy voting you. If you can't see a swing in opinion that drastic then you're a far worse player than I'm giving you credit for and I apologize for thinking you can do basic math.

At that point you can either jump on another building case or you can create one of your own and I think you know you're building this one on nothing because you responded to my post with sarcasm rather than address the points I made.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Somberbrero posted:

Ernie did part of the same thing I'm voting LUTR for but not the exact thing. It's really this exchange I don't like

Opop why u softclaiming day 1?

Reminder: I "softclaimed" hypercharger in a game with mod confirmed roles.

Opopanax posted:

I think the better question here is why aren't you?

Because 1 - it'd be pointless
2 - it'd be extra pointless if, as you're claiming, OP contains lies and we don't know all the roles in the game
3 - it'd be extra extra pointless to contribute if you're lying and just trying to get everyone to claim so your scum buddies can pick off power roles at night

Look here's the thing Opop, I haven't played in a long rear end time and that poo poo with Gulag claiming masons in El Dorado kinda hosed me for the current meta, because now apparently people make up joke roles and carry them on for a long long time and it's a null tell because It's Just How That Guy Plays. And that used to happen once in a while but gimmick players just weren't a regular thing back when I was playing a bunch.

Anyway your claim is wacky and ~my dignity~ would be bruised by acting on the assumption that you're actually claiming this role only to watch you take it back two thirds into the game or whatever.

Eh. Maybe I'm not making sense, I need coffee before I post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Opopanax posted:

It wasn't a joke, I am literally a role that is mod-confirmed not to be in the game.

• Locked thread