Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Politeness is an important part of Chivalry, and might just head off the inevitable Monty Python quotes. Let's talk to him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
You know, that does look like quite a scary tower. And dark.

Section 10, you say? Let's go!

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Make friends, make friends, never never break friends.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Let's examine the carts and the barrels. Loot early, loot often.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
I am a cider drinker!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5SX3A-ifME

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Well that was disappointingly pointless. Let's check out the battlements before we take on the main keep.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Chivalry, politeness, yada yada, let's knock.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
We won't get far in the dark. Light 'em up!

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Friends!

And if that doesn't work, then I'm sure that trying to outclimb a spider couldn't possibly go wrong.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Ghostwoods posted:

Edit: Too late.
Next time don't wait.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Of course we go in! We aren't afraid of the dark!

I'm just gonna close my eyes for this bit if everyone doesn't mind. Let me know when the scary part's over?

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Mikl posted:

What's this? More gold? It is, you know - fifty Gold Pieces and a double-headed copper coin. What a bit of luck!

Considering that this came from a Leprechaun, can we arrange to make sure we've spent this before sunrise?

As for this room, however, remember that while curiosity may have killed the cat, satisfaction brought it back. So let's satisfy our curiosity about what's in that chest!

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
You know what we haven't done yet? Let's sleep and get some life points back.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Ghostwoods posted:

What have we got to lose? Literally nothing any more. (Well, except our life, but feh.) Kill the guards, and go through the door they were guarding!

Sounds good to me, they must be guarding it for a reason.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Let's go North and see what's there before we head downstairs.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Apparently no-one! Let's loot like it's going out of fashion!

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
I was kinda hoping we'd get to use the duck on Ansalom.

Oh well. That was a fun book!

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
I think we should get leather armour, a dagger, a food pack, a backpack, a waterbag, some rope, some torches, and five healing potions. I think that's all 80 silver.

Once we've got all that, let's go to Section 155 'cos it's closest and I'm feeling lazy.

Have the rules said what healing potions do this time around?

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

idonotlikepeas posted:

I don't think we need to buy five rounds of potions, though; note that each 3 silver gets us a dozen.

drat, I must have misread that.

Nonetheless, I'm firmly of the opinion that if buying sixty healing potions is wrong then I do not want to be right.

Mikl posted:

Just a heads up, I probably won't be able to put an update out until Saturday at the earliest. Work and other commitments are kicking my rear end pretty bad. Hope you undersand :)
Don't worry, chances are this argument's going to take us at least a week.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Section 155 posted:

It's a dead end! Would you believe anybody could do a thing like that? Fancy putting a complete dead end on a map! And you've trudged miles to get here. Afraid there's nothing else for it but to trudge miles all the way back again and try another route.

God dammit, game!

Fine. Let's go to the other end of the map and pick Section 21. And if they pull the same bullshit a second time, I'd like us to (a) try 65 instead, or (b) hunt down the writer and slap them.

Also, I can't help but be curious just how many life points the leather armour is going to save us over the course of the book - considering that for the same money we could have got 192 healing potions and 24 sacks to carry them in.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Sure, climbing sounds fun, though it'll be interesting to see how well we'll make it up the other side.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
There are probably drop-bears in the tree. Let's try talking to what will most likely turn out to be just an ordinary rabbit.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
We might as well take a nap under the tree while we're here, then.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
What the hell. Let's jump!

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Let's go in the shimmering doorway. I'm sure this will end well.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Ratatozsk posted:

51->63->41->72->69->33->33->43->45. Knock out the non-descript hovels first.

Unless we encounter some significant plot in the process, that is.

I concur!

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
If Cluedo has taught me anything, it's that you always go with the secret passages. Let's try 90, then 92 if we can!

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Of course go in!

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Try 79, 89, 74, 38, and 66 to see if there's anything in those buildings along the wall.

Works for me.

Also, if we end up getting into a reasonably tough fight I'd like to see us trying out a bit of magic, eg a POW or a PANIC.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Well, we already know a couple of ways out of the village, so we don't want to pay extra for being told about those back doors we've found. But let's pay for a snippet of info about the Dragon Cavern.

After that, let's go to whichever house was the free insta-heal.

Looking at the map, it looks like 40 and 48 are the only cottages we haven't seen yet, so let's try those.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Mikl posted:

I wonder if there's some way to know which one to choose. Maybe someone has been here before and left us a hint? That would be nice.

Well, I've just gone back and re-read the Ethelbert scroll we got from Pellinore, and it's... less than useful. Beyond warning us of wailing spirits being an insta-death, it mainly just says that it's reasonably safe up here but dangerous on the lower levels.
Let's try going right.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
We can always fireball it later if we run out of options up here. For the time being, let's go west. I hear that life is peaceful there.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Snake venom antidote! Let's go back to Merlin, get him to give us a time travel spell, and travel back to book 1 when that snake bit us.

Failing that, 128 is as good a choice as any. Is anyone else getting a bit bored of these blind choices? They could have at least given a hint or two where the passages lead.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Yeah, let's not go to the section with a 14 in the number. 137!

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Okay, let's work this out logically...

Two dwarves have escaped. This is not by happenstance - the dwarves very deliberately turned tail and ran when they were down to the last two. Therefore, having two dwarves is somehow significant.

The dwarves are here to tend the machine. They must know how to operate it. Remaining able to do so is so important to them that it takes precedence over attacking the person who just murdered their ten brothers. Therefore, the minimum number of dwarves required to operate the machine is two.

Dwarves are short. A dwarf could probably pull a lever down easily enough, but a single dwarf is too short to push a lever up. However, two dwarves (one on the other's shoulders) have a notably higher reach. Therefore, it takes two dwarves to push a lever up.

We have precisely enough dwarves remaining that they could raise one of the levers.

Push one lever up and pull two levers down.

(I note also that the two surviving dwarves have run off towards where the key was stored, doubtless hoping to use the machine to get revenge on us. But we're too smart for them!)

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Comstar posted:

I'd say Push all three levers up and go to 139 because that's the only one without the Dreaded 14 in it.

Let's do this.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Jazzimus Prime posted:

I'm probably going to get us killed here, but I'd like to suggest that we read the scroll first.

The author prepared Explosive Runes this morning. Let's get it over with.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Ethelbert hasn't steered us wrong yet. Since we can't take two hits from these things anyway, first cast PiRsquared so we have a better chance of killing them all before they get us.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Cast PiRsquared, abuse the globule wand as much as possible, then carve it to pieces with EJ's enhanced dragon-slicing abilities.

If it does a lot of damage, also cast PANIC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Jazzimus Prime posted:

I was sure we were going to lose the 200,000 Gold Pieces before the end. :stare:

Yeah, but what's the betting that the book will somehow screw us over so we can't use it for anything next time round?

• Locked thread