Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Unless Lothire decides against it and Quillian suddenly wants luch, Lars is all for going immediately to investigate this plague nonsense, sickness in the slums is a big deal so it's a problem close to his heart. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

[Quilian Nailos]
HP: 10/10 | AC: 16 | HD: d10(1) | Spells [none yet] | Arrows: 30

Quilian bends and stretches as Lars emerges from the Inn. He has some interesting words to share, and the wood elf finds himself rather surprised.

"You surprise me. I had not given the act any thought. Should we find ourselves in such a place, I will be sure to heed your words." Then again, a skirmish with a robber wouldn't be all that bad. Ursa emerges soon after, and this is a good time to fill them in as any.

"As you likely heard, we have our options to pursue. The plague has risen as the most likely threat, and has become the focusd objective for the group. Should this plague be true, it is not unreasonable to imagine a foe behind it.. Or, perhaps those already infect will become our foes. I have seen your hunting skills are sharp Lars, and I would think your archery surpasses even your cooking. And Ursa.. Well, you are as unique an ally as I have ever seen. Together, I believe little can stop us, should you find this a worthy pursuit."

Khidash emerges mumbling something the elf does not hear.

".. Ah, I almost forgot. Our dwarven companion wishes to speak with the local peacekeeper about the matter. A prudent move. However, I see no ill in speaking with the parents while he attends to that matter. I am certain we will all group once more should the next step on this path require.. Conflict resolution." A nice way of saying that there could be blood.

Quilian is interested in speaking with the parents at the clothing shop about the plague, letting Darys and Khidash speak with the constable. If Four decides to speak with the folks as well, Quilian will likely take a back seat to let him to the talking.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 14, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Sereia Arlingfeld
HP: 14 | AC: 15/17 | HD: 1/1d10 | Lay on Hands: 5/5

It turns out Sereia's place at the inn is beside Quilian. She listens in to the gossip and mulls the options.

Lothire posted:

[Quilian Nailos]
"The local Lawkeeper is after sellswords, a girl who has seen a ghost, and a dwarf warning children of a plague. I imagine that last one would not be a kin of yours, Darys.." He jokes, curious how the dwarf is finding his drink.

"..I would address the local law enforcement first. However, I get the feeling neither Lars, Ursa nor Zashoon care much for authority. Sereia, I know you have some expertise with specters from our time with the Svirfneblin priest. You may be uniquely capable of figuring out if what she saw was real, and if so, Khidash may have some experience on sending such a creature back to the after-life. Then again, a plague is not something we would want to ignore, less it runs rampant amongst the populace."

"It seems Darys and Khishad are keen to talk to the Constable; normally I'd volunteer for something like that, but I'm not the only soldier in this party, for once."
A wistful sort of smile crosses Sereia's face.
"I'll go speak with Minny's granddaughter. Hopefully it's not too far, and I can come back to the group to report on the specific details. It might just be nothing... But it'll be worthwhile, I think."

Ryuujin posted:

"South of Dornen Finestone is Mhandyvver's Poultry, perhaps not as big as Drouth, but among us Red Larchers it is a favorite. Actually. Now that I bring it to mind, I believe I remember hearing that Minny's granddaughter had supposedly seen a ghost somewhere. She was so frightened."

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Darys Stoneback
[HP: 13/13] [AC: 17]
Hit Dice: 0/1 (D10)
Movement: 25ft
Full Equipment List and Funds
Backstory

"Good man, Khidash. If the Constable is ill at ease about anything a man of the cloth is sure to settle him. And you've got cloth to spare!"

We sought the law...

Darys and Khidash made their way to the establishment of Jalessa Orna and her husband the Constable Harburk Tuthmarillar. Just as they were described it was four identical buildings, one bearing a sign marking it as a butcher. Darys stops a passing local and asks which of the other three is the where the Constable works. After a helpful bit of direction he and Khidash head inside.

"Hello there! Is anyone about? We're hear to see the good Constable Tuthmarillar."

Ryuujin I assume the Constable isn't going to be hard to find so I'll put my questions and fluff below to save some time.

"Constable Tuthmarillar, my name is Darys Stoneback. My friend here is Khidash Lodi. We heard you were looking for adventurers so here we are! Actually we're not all here. All told our group is seven strong and looking to help the good people of the town with what troubles them. But before we got to that we thought we'd introduce ourselves. If being in the army taught me anything its you can't let your boys and girls go running around camp without first checking with the camp commander. That's a sure fire way to end up scrubbin' latrines from here to the end of days!"

Darys goes on to ask the Constable about all the odd goings on in town. Going to bullet point them so I'm not writing a wall of text so late in the evening for Ryuujin to muck through.

Darys Stoneback's questions for the Constable posted:

-Did he know anything about the rumors of plague or the strange dwarf the Tarnlar children said they saw? Were the children known to tell fibs to get attention from their elders? Did he know of anyone or anything that was confirmed to be sick? Has anyone gone missing? (people, animals, bad crops?)

-Did he know of any troubles out by Lance Rock? Were other adventurers or strangers to the town already putting their attention on it? Were any of the townsfolk? Did Lance Rock have any history or reputation for odd goings on?

-Was Mhandyvver's grand daughter still claiming to see a ghost? Was the child known to fib about such things? Where had the grand daughter seen the ghost?

-Was the Constable's call for adventurers to take care of these concerns or did he have something other task that he needed help with?

Trast fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 14, 2015

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zeshoon Four (smooth criminal)

8 / 8 HP // 14 AC
The rogue laughs off the temporary rejection, commenting, "Professional. Got it." Instead of walking out of the inn to follow his comrades, he leans backwards and then tumbles end-over-end in a very slow and deliberate cartwheel, all the while maintaining eye contact with the woman. He repeats this a few times before he gets to the doorway, at which point he tips his hat to her, spins on his heel, snaps his fingers once, and heads out to follow his comrades. The unspoken message of his little stunt was that he was super bendy.
pre:
Acrobatics 16
When he gets outside, he closes the door behind him, and comments to the others, "All right, well, I'm going to the bakery. They've got cheese buns. And also, probably, some sweet rolls. Which we'll want in order to bribe the children into telling us the truth."
pre:
1> Going to the bakery to get some cheese buns and sweet rolls.
2> Bribing the children and their parents with sweet rolls.
3> Interviewing the children and parents about Lance Rock.
4> Regrouping with the others.
Wealth: Coins (12 gp) / Swinging Sword tab (3gp)

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

[Quilian Nailos]

Quilian wishes Sereia good luck with the ghost girl when Four emerges from the Inn.

"Bribing children with.. Baked goods?" He speaks very quietly to himself, ".. Why did I not think of that.."

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Name: Lars Borikfikod Faction- Emerald Enclave: Rank 1 Renown 0
HP:11/11 AC::14 HD:1/1 (d10) Movement: 30' Arrows: 40

Lars gives a tight smile as Quillian takes his advice lightly to heart, a memory surfacing from his past about his initiation into the Borikfikod, Lars and a swarm of kids just into their teens rushing forward in haggard garb to a lone man who has walked down the wrong street, the collective their hands outstretched they hassle the interloper begging for money as they move into position around him, simultaneously hands slide up sleeves and knives glint out in every direction striking home. 30 gold snatched up and a body dragged through the evening streets off to the bridge not far off where it's unceremoniously dumped in the water.

Lars gives Quillian another nod "I've been known to make a fancy shot now and again, and Ursa's always been good in a scrap." At Four's suggestion of sweet bribes for the kids Lars snickers "smart thinking, should probably still chat up the parents though, kids like to change the details over time and they may exaggerate to please so that they get the treat quicker."

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 15, 2015

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
8 - Lorren's Bakery

A few of you, led by Four, make your way to Lorren's Bakery possibly to pick up lunch, but largly with the intent of bribery for details. It is a short distance, just a few buildings to the north, before you get there.

This aromatic, tidy bakery always has fresh round
loaves and buns for sale. Its specialty is cheese-topped
buns with melted mushroom cheese from outlying
local farms

The baker, Mangobarl Lorren, welcomes you warmly as you enter. "Welcome, welcome!"

He begins to go into a spiel about the various baked goods, and quite a few of them make your mouth water. As you place your order he begins preparing the sweet buns and mushroom cheese buns, the house specialty. "For such an order I can give you a price of one gold coin."

As you pay and get ready to go he stops you. "Sirs. You look like you can handle yourselves. Like you are used to danger. Perhaps you are even adventurers." He looks a little embarrassed to be asking you for help, but eventually he gets it out.

"I don't know if you have had a chance to meet Pell Mhandyvver. But it seems she had a bit of a scare. Said it was a ghost. I was worried so I thought I would check it out. So I went to look for myself, and I saw a goblin near the spot. I figure that a gang of the creatures have moved in and rigged a 'haunt' to scare off intruders. I suspect a treasure could be hidden in the tomb, and I don't think it should be left to a band of goblins."

He pauses, unsure how to continue, before finally finishing. "So I was thinking, since you look like you can take care of yourselves, maybe you go out there and deal with the goblins, make sure any treasure there isn't left in their hands. If you do, well you can obviously keep any treasure you find, but I will also give you a dozen of my house specialty rolls, on the house."

14 - Mhandyvver’s Poultry

Seriea makes her way to Mhandyvver’s Poultry to speak with the poulterer's granddaughter about the ghost.

Mhandyvver’s is the less impressive of the two local
poulterers, but is a favorite with Red Larchers

Inside Minny is not all that busy, though a few locals are here or there purchasing some poultry. It does not take long before you have the chance to get her attention.

11 - Jalessa Ornra's

The rest of you make your way to Jalessa Ornra's.

These four identical single-story stone buildings are
the workplace, shop, and home of Jalessa Ornra (female
Illuskan human). Her husband Harburk Tuthmarillar
(male Tethyrian human) is Red Larch’s constable.

Once there some workers point you toward her husband. Harburk Tuthmarillar is a large man, and he looks upon you sternly as you enter. As you introduce yourselves he nods. "Well met. Indeed I am looking for some adventurers."

And he listens to your questions, answering in turn.

quote:

-Did he know anything about the rumors of plague or the strange dwarf the Tarnlar children said they saw? Were the children known to tell fibs to get attention from their elders? Did he know of anyone or anything that was confirmed to be sick? Has anyone gone missing? (people, animals, bad crops?)

"I have heard nothing of people going missing, bad crops or anyone falling exceptionally ill. I have heard nothing of this dwarf, whoever it is seems to have gone. I suspect it was just some troublemaker trying to scare the children off from Lance Rock."

quote:

-Did he know of any troubles out by Lance Rock? Were other adventurers or strangers to the town already putting their attention on it? Were any of the townsfolk? Did Lance Rock have any history or reputation for odd goings on?

"The Lance Rock? It is just a landmark, some stone that doesn't look like it belongs in this area. Nothing else special about it. Never heard of any strangers interested in it, or any danger there. It is just a weird looking stone sticking up."

quote:

-Was Mhandyvver's grand daughter still claiming to see a ghost? Was the child known to fib about such things? Where had the grand daughter seen the ghost?

"Children. What can you say? They have such vivid imaginations. She hasn't changed her story. And while I don't recall any other such fibs, she is a child and all children have these flights of fantasy. I don't know where it is she supposedly saw this ghost."

quote:

-Was the Constable's call for adventurers to take care of these concerns or did he have something other task that he needed help with?

"My call for adventurers. Heh. Well it was on a different matter. There are secretive groups in the Sumber Hills but I am unsure what is out there. And I can't exactly go out hunting these rumors myself. So some adventurers, like yourselves, could prove useful. If you are going to run around 'solving quests' and the like anyway, you may as well make yourselves useful."

He snorts in mirth.

"Well I have been hearing tales of banditry on the Cairn Road south of town. I know of several potential hideouts, but I simply don't have the time to wander around the countryside on a wild goose chase. But since you seem so eager, perhaps you would like to know of some of these spots. Perhaps you can go out there, and deal with them. You can keep anything they have on them, as payment for dealing with them. They have been somewhat busy, so it should be no small amount."

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Ursa Manuel

HP9/9, AC12, hit dice1/1, Spell Slots 1:2/2

"Hmm treasure you say." Ursa said pausing to take a bite out of her roll "Know someone who could use that, cant say I'm one to turn down free food either"

Monk E fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 14, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ryuujin posted:

Seriea makes her way to Mhandyvver’s Poultry to speak with the poulterer's granddaughter about the ghost.

Mhandyvver’s is the less impressive of the two local
poulterers, but is a favorite with Red Larchers

Inside Minny is not all that busy, though a few locals are here or there purchasing some poultry. It does not take long before you have the chance to get her attention.

Sereia Arlingfeld

Sereia, in her typical quiet manner, introduces herself as a wandering paladin of the sea-goddess. "I've just recently come to the Red Larches; word of a ghost caught my ear. Would it be possible to speak to your granddaughter? I was led to believe she is the one who saw it," she says, expressing here utmost sincere concern over the matter.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Minny looks up. "Oh my, how do you do lady knight. My granddaughter? Yes I will get her so that she can tell you herself."

She goes toward a back room, and shouts for "Pell!"

A little bit later you hear a pounding of light feet, as a small girl comes out from the back of the shop.

"Yes, grandmother?"

Minny speaks to her granddaughter, "Pell dear, this lady would like to hear your story about the ghost."

The girl blinks, nods her head and looks at you owlishly. She hesitantly walks over to you, scrunches her face as she tries to remember everything just so, and then begins to tell you her story.

Okay, I was out on one of my usual adventures, running around outside of town. I came across an old stone building." She gives you some directions to where it was and continues, "It looked perfect for a secret base. So I scouted it out to make sure it would work, and then I saw a ghost! I could see right through them! They said something, and it looked like they were coming for me, so I retreated. But I will be back!"

"Pell!" her grandmother admonishes.

The girl pouts, "grandmother has forbidden me from going back there." Then she sulks and heads back to the back of the shop.

Minny sighs. "You see? I have forbidden her from going. But I must admit I am curios about what she has seen, and I do think it would be best if someone made sure it was safe."

She looks Sereia over, a thoughtful expression on her face. "You said you were a paladin? Perhaps you could check it out, make sure it is safe so no children go running in and get hurt?"

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

8 / 8 HP // 14 AC
He was happy enough to spend the gold coin for the cheese buns and sweet rolls, and comments to the baker, "Goblins, huh? That's a bit of a letdown. A ghost would have been a real thriller to see." He shrugs, "We can definitely check that out. Though a dozen house specialty rolls is a bit below our standard rate..."
pre:
Persuasion 7 for more rolls for the quest.
Sensing the baker would likely have none of his negotiation business, he adds, "I'd even throw in some free marketing for your shop during a few of my performances. Yao!" He snaps his fingers and does a little bit of a dance and song number for her benefit: an impromptu performance that includes her cheese melts as a delicious snack eaten by the finest of heroes.
pre:
Performance (singing) 16
Wealth: Coins (11 gp) / Swinging Sword tab (3gp) / Pastries (1gp)

Waador fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 14, 2015

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
8 - Lorren's Bakery

The baker stares at you for a moment, and at first it seems like he isn't going to sweeten the deal. But after watching your moves he smiles a little. "Alright I tell you what, deal with this and I will give you a baker's dozen of my famous mushroom cheese buns."

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

8 / 8 HP // 14 AC
He tips his cap to the baker, and responds, "You've got yourself a deal." With more than a little swagger, he picks up the basket of sweet rolls and cheese rolls, and starts to find his way towards the home of the children who were warned about the plague.
Quests: Lance Rock plague / Goblins in a cave (mushroom cheese buns)

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

Sereia drops down on both knees in a meditative pose, before she begins to listen to the child's story, watching Pell's expressions. Acknowledging Minny after the story, she answers, "My compatriots may need me for other concerns first, but I do hope to investigate this, as soon as possible."

Glancing back at Pell, she takes her hand. "Wow, and you weren't even scared? You must be very brave! Not many people would face a ghost and be so eager to return to the site." :)
"Can you tell me what its words sounded like? Maybe you couldn't tell their meaning, but I might be able to recognize the language.."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Before heading to the back room Pell responds to Sereia's questions.

"Hmm he was dressed in armor, heavier than yours, made of metal. Though I could see through it like I could the rest of him. He was carrying a sword!" She looks to your side. "Like yours! Or maybe not? I think his was bigger."

She scrounges her face trying to remember what he said. "He said something about his master and leaving."

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

"Hm. That's awful strange. A ghostly knight! ..sounds like it'll make for an interesting adventure for my friends and I!"
As she stands, Sereia runs a hand over the child's cheek before patting her head gently.

"For now, listen to your granma; I'll let both of you know once your new base is safe."

After Pell departs, Sereia makes small talk with Minny, inquiring as to whether she is the child's guardian and seeing where that line of discussion goes.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

[Quilian Nailos]

He wasn't hungry. Not until the smell assaulted his nose, shaking his appetite loose. As Four does his song and dance to work a bit more out of the owner, Quilian chomps into his cheese-bun, finding it more delicious than it has any right to be. He lightly claps at the end of Four's display of moves, holding what is left of the bun in his mouth, and finishing it just as the half-elf picks up the basket of goods and leaves the store.

"Goblins." That's what the man had said. Didn't matter where he traveled in the world, greenskins were never far. The wood-elf muses on the group's way to Helvur Tarnlar's shop. "They are a plague all of their own, no matter the lands. If there is one to be seen, then there are plenty more under the rocks and in the shadows." His tone grows cold on the words, and a quietness takes him for some brief steps. The goblins were not the task at hand, however. One of his most hounded and loathed enemies will have to wait their turn.

Forcing himself to snap his mind free of the matter, he indulges in a curiosity as he moves beside Zeshoon. "These moves that you do, the walk.. You do them as though you've always done so in life. Is it something you must do? Can you ever.. What was the expression.. Turn it off?"

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Khidash Lodi
HP: 10 | AC: 15 | HD: 1/1 (1d8)
Cantrips (3) | Light, Spare the Dying, Resistance
Lvl 1 (2) | Cure Wounds (LD), Bless (LD), Healing Word, Shield of Faith, Purify Food and Drink, Sanctuary

Khidash gave the dwarf a nod as he followed him to the constable's place, taking in the sights of the town. He figured it would be best to let the soldier lead the way on this one.

He listened intently with his hand under his chin as the man spoke about the ongoing issues in Red Larch. Surprisingly, the man had no idea about this plague business that the children had spoken about. The fact that the local tavern had better information on this was unusual to him, as he left his post looming from behind the dwarf and stood next to him.

"Harbuk, we appreciate the information and the leads you have given us. However I find the lack of knowledge about these plague rumors disturbing. We have only just arrived on a caravan and we have encountered the rumors in the The Singing Sword."

Khidash's tone was direct from behind the mask as he stood next to Darys and spoke. His hands were resting on his heavy belt, thumbs latched underneath the leather.

"If you have no information on this plague, we will continue our search to see if these claims are valid. I agree these might just be children being children, but if someone is tricking children into thinking the sky is falling they should have justice applied to them."

Plague threats were something the cleric took seriously, as he has witnessed what plague can do firsthand. Divine magic was capable of handling the plague if caught early enough, but Khidash knew his own skills were inadequate to treat a large scale outbreak by himself.

"Your words on the bandit situation are also troubling and is something I personally think we should look into at some point. We will have to speak with our companions once we get the chance about it. If anything, keeping clean supply lines is important in the event this plague does come to fruition. I am sure you agree, Darys?"

Glancing down to the dwarf the human smiled from behind his mask. This time he was happy to have actual soldiers on his side to help hold the line in any fights that might occur.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

8 / 8 HP // 14 AC
He idly wondered at the intent behind the elf's question, though he managed to convince himself it was simple and harmless curiosity. Although he certainly enjoyed the role, the truth behind the matter was that much of his outward personality was an act, carefully designed to prevent people from asking questions about the dangerous vigilante that lived beneath the surface.

He responds a bit evasively, not wanting to show all his cards, "Making a memorable impression on new faces is important, is the thing. It's not about what I can turn off, my friend. It's about what I can turn on. For the moment, anyway."
pre:
Deception 15

Waador fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 14, 2015

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

HP:11/11 AC::14 HD:1/1 (d10) Movement: 30' Arrows: 40

At the mention of the goblins Lars lets out a breath gently, he knew ghosts weren't real it was just a silly child being tricked by filthy creatures, the baker continues to elaborate on the situation and Lars struggles to hold back the grin trying to split his face at the prospect of going hunting again even if it was for something he normally wouldn't dream of eating, his fists clench at his side as he imagines the surprises in store for these new targets.

Passing on food, still full from the morning meal Lars takes a step outside, the orb of smoke rolling over his knuckles again calm his temperament, leaning on the side of the building as the folks inside sort out their business he ponders on what they might find amongst the possessions of the filthy creatures they've been set on, roughly stashing his trinket back in his pockets he gives a small grimace as it rattles against the few coins he has left to his name, certainly none of them gold.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 15, 2015

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

[Quilian Nailos]

The response was well crafted. Given his use of words until now, that is not surprising, but Quilian begins to understand a little. It is a practice in manipulation, something the elf has never been able to master. In a way, he is somewhat envious. Such a tool has already proven its use, setting the group upon the path they now walk.

But really, Quilian was only curious. For sharing, he feels inclined to share something of his own. "What you do is unique, a kind of dance I had never seen. People of my homeland celebrated with dance, one passed down through the generations.."

While still traveling, Quillian assumes a series of aggressive poses and gestures, shouting a strange kind of elven.

"I find it.. Does not have the same effect on people as yours."

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

8 / 8 HP // 14 AC
The half-elf slows down as he walks, observing Qulian's own dance methods. He offers a critique, "It doesn't have the same effect on people because it's a bit more ...aggressive... in its movements, rather than, you know, suggestive." He pauses, adding, "Have you considered adding in some vocals to it? I find a well-placed 'woo!' or or 'pow!' or something like that really lightens things up."

He also adds, "It also seems to be a style of dance that would benefit from having more than one person do it in unison. You know, like, backup dancers. One person doing that is just ...a little weird to an onlooker. But half a dozen people doing it..." He begins to shadow Quilian's movements as they walk, adding in some vocals as well as some light acrobatics. It was rather likely to draw the attention of anyone within earshot or their line of sight in the town.
pre:
Performance (dance) 16
Performance (singing) 24
Acrobatics 9
Shadowing Quilian's movements in a synchronized dance number.
"Yao!"

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

[Quilian Nailos]

Performance: 1#1d20 5

Zeshoon's movements are difficult to track with his eyes - not only does he frequently move around Quilian, but his feet tap with a rhythm that Quilian can't quite grasp. More than a few times he steps on his own feet, almost tripping. His sounds are more like that of a frightened bird.

Acrobatics: 1#1d20+5 17

He gives up on mimicing it all at once, and breaks it down instead. Snapping fingers here and there, putting a swagger in his step, establishing a smoother base. A smile breaks out as he finally catches onto some kind of rhythm, though far from having the same mastery as his companion.

"This is.. Rather demanding!"

This could go on a while, but at some point they'll be at their destination..

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Darys Stoneback
Backstory

Constable's Office

Darys had to give Khidash one thing, he was passionate. As soon at the Constable revealed he knew nothing of the plague rumors the cleric laid into the man. Darys couldn't blame him. Back in the army or in the mines there was nothing worse than an officer or a foreman who didn't know what was what. The only problem was that those types of men didn't like to be reminded of it. Khidash cut an imposing figure for a healer so if the Constable decided to make an issue of it he was either brave or stupid. Given how little help he'd been so far Darys bet on stupid.

"Bandits! Always someone looking to steal what they could'a earned with a little hard work. If you can show us on a map where you think these fellas are hiding along the Cairn road we'd appreciate it." Darys said. "I think our group would be happy to put a thumpin' to these fools for the good people of Red Larch. However as you can see my friends are very much concerned about this plague rumor. I'm thinkin' those bandits will have earned a reprieve until we get to the bottom of it. I'm sure you can understand. You have a good day now, Constable."

Assuming Khidash doesn't have any other questions or Constable Duddly DoNothing doesn't have anything to add Darys is going to take his leave of the Constable and head off to find the others. Khidash seems like he's ready to open a can off Lathander's Light on some plague carrying asses.

:siren: New information, there are bandits along the Cairn Road to deal with. Also there is a group of secretive individuals hiding in the Sumber Hills that the Constable would like us to investigate. :siren:

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Khidash Lodi
Lvl 1 (2) | Cure Wounds (LD), Bless (LD), Healing Word, Shield of Faith, Purify Food and Drink, Sanctuary

Watching Darys set the map down awaiting the marks, Khidash folded his arms over his chest and stood up straight. His decision to come along on this caravan was already proving to be worth his time. He could only imagine the possible gold he would be sending to the nearest temple of Lathander once his cut was established. With the marks on the map completed, he gave the constable a small bow before turning on heel and following the dwarf out of the establishment, walking alongside him as they made their way into the sun. "I look forward to working with you Darys, you do clean work." For an military man he impressed Khidash with his ability to get information, something that in the past the military types failed at doing without a set of beers in them.

As they continued to walk, he decided to change the subject to perhaps figure out who he was working with. "So Darys, what can you tell me about the others? You all seem to have past connections, and if I am going to be following you wonderful folks into combat, I need to know some priors and particulars."

I have nothing to ask, Khidash is just along for the ride at this point.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Darys Stoneback
Backstory

"Well thank you sir, you can take the dwarf out of the army but you can't take the army out of the dwarf. Got to be you learned how to get things done or you got a smack on the head." Khidash asks how long he'd know the rest of the group and Darys lets out a laugh. "Connections? Aye some of these kids seem to know each other like Lars and that fiery lass or the lady paladin and the elf ranger. But not me! I hadn't set eyes on them until I joined the caravan. But I guess I can't help being friendly. The clan always had me talking to the humans and elves that came up the mountain to buy ore. 'Darys you're a people person' my ma' used to say. Thing is we dwarves aren't exactly known for being people persons so I don't know if many of my family found that to be a nice thing to call me. But someday I'm going to open my tavern and be the best drat people person this side of the Spine of the World! Oh I've been meaning to ask yah something, Khidash. What does a man of Lathander like to drink? Something like a light beer I bet!" Darys laughs and slaps his thigh.

:rimshot:

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Khidash Lodi

His face scrunched at the pun in relation to Lathander's Light as he let out a sigh which was quickly followed by a small, sarcastic laugh. "You are lucky Lathander teaches us to appreciate the little things in life dwarf!" Darys scored high marks in his book for as outgoing as he was for a dwarf who had seen service. Most were kept to themselves and rather blunt, so it felt good to have one that was willing to cut a few jokes here and there. "I think you would do well at running a tavern, you seem to have the attitude geared for it. As for the others I am glad I am not the only stranger in this nest. Any plans for your reward coin?"

While they walked he looked about and wondered where the others might of run off to. For a moment he almost wanted to grab Darys and go investigate the bandits themselves, but knew that it could lead to an untimely grave. The very thought of low lifes stealing from the hard working hand of the free market was enough to anger the cleric.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
7 - Helvur Tarnlar, Clothier

You each finish your conversations with Baker, Constable and Poultier, then make your way to the Clothier. You each arrive, more or less, at the same time at Helvur Tarnlar, Clothier.

Tarnlar’s is the only place to buy quality clothing for
a hundred miles around. The clothing, boots, and
accessories sold here are all fine, warm, and sturdy

As you enter a man looks up from a wooden mannequin, taking some pins out of his mouth he greets you. "Welcome."

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

[Quilian Nailos]

The group all converge on the store, but Quilian stops his swagger, reaches down and begins to rub his foot. He looks up with some embarrassment at Zeshoon.

".. Foot cramp."

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

HP:11/11 AC::14 HD:1/1 (d10) Movement: 30' Arrows: 40 Passive Perception:16

Stepping forward Lars gives an awkward shallow bow "Hey there Lars Borikfikod at your service" He offers a hand to the man to shake "I hope you have a minute, we were settling into town when your neighbor down the way informed of us some rumors flying about and we thought we may be able to help out some." Looking the man solidly in the eye Lars continues on "Word about town is that the Tarnlar children had a run in with a stranger talking about a plague? We're lookin' to follow up on that."

Lars straightens his collar the Enclave pin visible on it "The Emerald Enclave got word of strange happenings out this way and had sent a member to investigate, I was hoping we could hear the story from the family and one of my more delicate companions might have a word with the children should they be around? A plague is definitely something the Enclave would have an interest in dealing with."

I can roll deception if you'd like Ryuujin since Lars is kinda dancing around his loose affiliation with the Enclave.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 15, 2015

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

The man scratches at his cheek. "Well the kids were picking berries, sounds like they came across a dwarven prospector that warned them of plague. But I don't really know all the details."

He turns toward the back, and shouts, "kids!" And soon four children of various ages between seven and ten, two boys and two girls, show up. When you show interest in their tale they begin to relay it, occasionally mixing up details and correcting each other.

Eventually you manage to piece together a coherent story from their scraps. It seems a couple tendays ago they were out berry-picking when they met a grizzled dwarf prospector who warned them away from Lance Rock "because there's plague there." As they tell their tale their parents look on with slightly confused bemused expressions. Once the kids finish their tale they give you directions to the ravine the dwarf warned them about.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sereia Arlingfeld

"A prospector? Like a miner? It wouldn't surprise me at all if there were some precious metals he wanted to keep everyone else from getting at, and he made up the plague story to be an rear end in a top hat." :colbert:

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

[Quilian Nailos]

Quilian continues to shake off the cramp in his foot, clearly not cut out for the kind of dancing lifestyle Four is well-accustomed to. Though he remains outside, he catches most of the conversation from the opened door. The children's story is pieced together, and the wheels in his head start to spin.

A single, dwarven miner. Sure, could be some fool keeping a bit of ore to himself. A shame his time in the world won't let him just believe that. Loner-types aren't usually fully alone, just that they prefer the company of malleable, simple things. Vermin, animals.. Things that don't judge. Hells, the last time he started thinking along those lines..

His hand moves to the dark-tinted sword on his back. Ya', it was definitely his thoughts back then, too. Beginning to feel like he's treading familiar ground.

The directions sound simple enough. Lance Rock.. He looks off to the south west, well past the homes and buildings of this place, miles into the distance of open lands. A large stone, cutting upwards. How appropriately named.

Quilian will help lead the party to the destination once a few more folks are ready to go.

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Ursa Manuel

"So it was all just hot air after all, cant say I'm horribly surprised greedy bastards are always looking to find ways to use fear to control people." Ursa hissed cracking her knuckles "But first mind if I have some of those sweet rolls Four I mean it looks like we wont need them for the kids anymore and it would be a shame if they went to waste."

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

8 / 8 HP // 14 AC
Although the rogue was one of the first individuals to enter the clothier, he finds himself rather distracted by the quality of the goods within the establishment, and wanting to ask the proprietor how long it would take to produce a made-to-measure suit for him ...perhaps something in silk, or velvet. He suspects that a bright white coloring would look rather decent, if he could find a matching hat. Now wasn't the time for that conversation, though, he supposed. Perhaps after they collected the bounty from the innkeeper for dealing with the source of this plague rumor.

When the others step in and take the lead on interviewing the parents and their children, he finds himself rather surprised, but hardly disappointed. It was comforting to know that he hadn't accidentally fallen into the role of the person who had to do all the legwork for such mundane issues. That would free up his time to focus on larger problems, if the trend continued. As the children are called in and begin to provide all of their information for free, if a bit eagerly and slightly inconsistent between themselves, he shrugs and subtly shifts the basket of sweet rolls out of their field of view. Why would anyone pay for something they could get for free? Plus, then he'd have a dozen sweet rolls all to himself. And they were going to be delicious.
pre:
Sleight of hand 22
Concealing the basket of sweet rolls.
When the fire elemental asks about the pastries in front of the children, he is mortified, and feigns ignorance. "Huh? What?"
pre:
Deception 6
Lying to children.
He wasn't prepared for this. The children had been alerted to the presence of pastries. All was lost.

Waador fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 15, 2015

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

The kids look toward Four, "sweet rolls?!" Their father chides them, "now, now, no begging for sweets."

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

8 / 8 HP // 14 AC
The rogue winks, and relents, "Well, maybe one for each of you. Since you've all been so helpful in telling us what you saw." He twirls, and tips his cap, "If your parents are okay with it, that is."
pre:
Persuasion 15
Being nice to children.
With a 'yao', he begins to twirl the basket in his right hand like a globetrotter, causing the sweet rolls to be at risk of flying everywhere if he makes a mistake. With his left hand, he deftly reaches into the basket as it spins, sequentially retrieving and tossing a sweet roll to two of the children, as well as another to the fire elemental. Halfway through the act, he tosses the basket into the air and quickly flips himself into a handstand, proceeding to catch the basket as it begins to fall by balancing it on the tip of his foot - which he then uses to continue spinning the basket like a globetrotter.

In a show of significant flexibility and more than a little yoga training, he lowers the basket to his eye level with his foot, continuing to spin it, and reaches into it with one of his hands (now balancing on only one hand in his handstand), retrieves two additional sweet rolls, and tosses them to the remaining two children. He follows that up by reaching into the basket one last time, and tossing one of the cheese rolls to Khidash, at which point he comments, "You seemed like you actually wanted one of these, but didn't want to feel irresponsible by going to get one instead of speaking with the constable."
pre:
Acrobatics 15
Being amazing.
His payload delivered to the children, as well as a handful of his comrades, he kicks the basket into the air once more, and then flips back to his feet, catching the basket in the air as it falls and twirling it casually. He then reaches in and retrieves a cheese roll for himself, which he begins to snack on. He also asks the parent, "Oh, um, did you want a sweet roll too? It's fine if you do."
pre:
Sweet rolls...
   + 12 [Purchased]
   -(4) [Children]
   -(1) [Ursa]
   = 7  [Remaining]

Cheese rolls...
   + 2 [Purchased]
   -(1)[Khidash]
   -(1)[Four]
   = 0 [Remaining]

Waador fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 15, 2015

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Ursa Manuel

Ursa unceremoniously tore her roll in two and shoved one of the halves into her mouth chewing it as she spoke "So chances are this guy isn't going to be keeping his treasure hoard lying around unguarded whats our angle of attack? We planning on sneaking in or just beating things up until things sort themselves out?" she paused to swallow "You can probably guess which I'm leaning towards."

Monk E fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

8 / 8 HP // 14 AC
Leaning back on his heels, he looks to the fire elemental and then to the others before commenting, "...probably best to not discuss that in front of the children." Shrugging, he looks to the clothier, and comments, "I love your work, by the way. When I have some time I definitely need to come by for a fitting, and we can talk about an outfit or two that you might be able to put together for me." He winks, spinning on his heel and taking his leave of the building.

Waiting for the others to exit the building, he comments to Quilian (who had been standing outside near the doorway) in Elvish, "Looking at these folks, I think we're going to need to split ourselves up according to our skill sets. One group, with light feet and a sense of camouflage, can try to keep the other group safe from harm. I ...rather expect the fire elemental is going to draw some attention wherever she goes, and a dwarf is a dwarf is a dwarf, if you know what I mean. How do you feel about you, me, and the other elf doing the scouting, while these guys draw attention away from us? I ...really don't want to refer to them as the bait, as that's not my intent, but a distraction while we sneak about the area wouldn't be a bad idea."

quote:

Rule clarification needed...
I don't believe there is anything preventing us from watching out for each other as we walk, correct?

Specifically, I want to use Stealth to get into the area, and if others are coming with me, I'd prefer for us to use the 'Help' action on each other to warn of broken branches, loose rocks, and other things that would give us away so that we all get advantage on the check.

I imagine this will be relatively important as it will set the tone for how we approach group stealth throughout the course of the game.

Waador fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 15, 2015

• Locked thread