Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Previously on Silicon Valley:

(No really, they wrote a "research paper". You can read it here. )

Silicon Valley is a workplace comedy of sorts from Beavis and Butthead and King of the Hill creator Mike Judge. Judge's brand of smart but unapologetically crude humor and on point tech culture satire drew praise from critics and audiences alike last year, making the show an easy renew for HBO. Basically, if you like Office Space, odds are very good you'll like Silicon Valley. And the first season is only 8 episodes, all available on HBO Go. Give it a shot if you're on the fence. Alternatively, watch this scene and try not to laugh.

Let's catch up with the main cast...

Thomas Middleditch as Richard Hendriks : When Richard inadvertently created the world's most efficient compression algorithm, he found himself in the driver's seat of a budding start-up. The first season had him facing various successes and failures and ultimately triumph at TechCrunch Disrupt. This season will deal with how he and his team handle their newfound success.

T. J. Miller as Erlich Bachman: Richard's obnoxious, egotistical landlord. Owns 10% of Pied Paper and makes sure everyone knows it. Will jerk off a room full of dicks if he has to.

Martin Starr as Bertram Gilfoyle: Pied Piper's resident Satanist and networking engineer. He's basically the same character Martin Starr plays in everything. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Kumail Nanjiani as Dinesh Chugtai: Pied Piper's Java programmer and Gilfoyle's usual partner in crime. Kumail Nanjiani is a must-follow on twitter.

Zach Woods as Donald "Jared" Dunn: Mild-mannered Head of Business Development at Pied Piper. Somehow manages to be both nicer and even creepier than Woods' character from The Office.

Amanda Crew as Monica: Personal Assistant to Pied Piper's main financier, Peter Gregory, and general consultant to Pied Piper. Mutual romantic interest developed between her and Richard, but had to be put on hold to maintain their professional relationship.

Matt Ross as Gavin Belson: CEO of Hooli, Pied Piper's main competitor. Is apparently even more dedicated to taking down Pied Piper in Season 2.

Josh Brener as Nelson "Big Head" Bighetti: Big Head was let go from Pied Piper after they realized he was a redundant member of the staff. Then Hooli foolishly gave him a lucrative contract, which he uses to sit around and do nothing. Hopefully they find something for him to do in Season 2, because they had trouble figuring out what to do with him in the first season.

Sadly, Christopher Evan Welch passed away in December of 2013, despite having one of the show's breakout performances in S1. Joining the show to fill his shoes are Suzanne Cryer as Laurie Bream, the new head of Peter Gregory's company, and Chris Diamantopoulos as Russ Hannerman, a prospective investor in Pied Piper. Pied Piper's team will also be expanding, including Carla (Alice Wetterlund), their first female employee. The show received some light criticism for its male-heavy cast last year, and Mike Judge, to his credit, listened.

Silicon Valley has the same timeslot as last year, Sunday nights at 10 Eastern, right after Game of Thrones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

This should definitely be in the new thread:

https://twitter.com/kumailn/status/586678680576925696

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This show started off horrendous but did a total 360 and now is the best comedy on HBO so everyone creeping this thread should watch it.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

The premiere is premiering

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

James from Spin City is alive!

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
God drat hippos. :argh:

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

"Datageddon"

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
Peter Gregory... is dead.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

The TV showing tweets (all two of them) at the funeral was a nice touch.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

"Then you married poorly" killed me.

I don't care for the new venture capitalist woman. Feels like she's doing a significantly-poorer take on the same sort of thing the previous guy did.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Glad this show is back.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick
Holy poo poo, it's Ronnie Gardocki!

edit: "And if you don't fund us, you're a loving slut."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
For some reason I couldn't stop thinking of Bill Hicks' famous Advertising bit when they were all regretting the '-geddon' overuse.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
For anyone that doesn't listen to the Comedy Bang Bang postcast, three of guys from Silicon Valley were on it back at March 30th and it is AMAZING. Tomas Middleditch is hilarious, I would have never thought of him as being so funny but drat.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/a-silicon-valley-p-cast/

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Someone should close the season 1 thread I thought it was the S2 thread this whole time.

I loved the peter pictures they were awesome.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
drat. That was a good episode. Erlich's negging had me dying. I like the Uber balloon on the intro.

And did anyone figure out what Erlich's binary shirt said?

e; It says "bitcoin"

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 13, 2015

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The guy in the formal black funeral hoodie was great.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Grump posted:

drat. That was a good episode. Urlich's negging had me dying. I like the Uber balloon on the intro.

And did anyone figure out what Urlich's binary shirt said?

There was an alibaba sign on one of the buildings as well. Nice to see that they're updating that.

Erlich's shirt said:

bitcoin

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

withak posted:

The guy in the formal black funeral hoodie was great.

that was actually the CEO of Snapchat

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

text editor posted:

that was actually the CEO of Snapchat

What was the joke there? I didn't get it.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
Great start to the season but Thomas Middleditch is still the biggest wet noodle on television and I hope we start to see some character progression from him soon, you can only mine a character for cringe comedy for so long.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

he was using the funeral to defend his company against equally petty insults from the eulogy before him

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Peter Gregory was not disappointed in Snapchat.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

Peter Gregory is dead.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
"One of you is the least attractive person I've ever seen...and I'm not going to say who" was the best moment for me. Also Run the Jewels in the credits = A+

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Sent from my iPad posted:

Peter Gregory is dead.

...yes.

"Apparently there is a line, and I crossed it--the line between 12 and 15 million dollars! BA-BAM!"

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Negging the VCs was some of the best writing that came out of the show yet.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Ernie. posted:

Negging the VCs was some of the best writing that came out of the show yet.

"He put his balls on the table"

loving fantastic. Love this show.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Peter Gregory was not disappointed in this show.

e: Silicon Valley S2 - Peter Gregory was not disappointed in this show.

Get on it mods

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Wow they found the perfect replacement for Peter Gregory. I loved her first scene it was loving hilarious. I'm really happy this show is back.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

"I don't know about you people, but I don't want to live in a world where someone else makes the world a better place, better than we do" is one of the best satirical lines against tech utopianism that I've ever heard.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
"Oh my god, it's the Winklevoss twins! Do you know how many bitcoin they're worth?"

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

text editor posted:

he was using the funeral to defend his company against equally petty insults from the eulogy before him

Yeah but the insult just came out of nowhere so I was wondering if there was an inside startup world joke about Snapchat there that I'm not getting.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

WarLocke posted:

Peter Gregory was not disappointed in this show.

e: Silicon Valley S2 - Peter Gregory was not disappointed in this show.

Get on it mods

WarLocke.

Peter Gregory is dead.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah but the insult just came out of nowhere so I was wondering if there was an inside startup world joke about Snapchat there that I'm not getting.

This might have been written back when Snapchat was catching a lot of flack because some third party app got hacked and a whole bunch of nude pictures got leaked.

But yeah, afaik Snapchat is insanely baluated right now.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Best comedy on TV right now, as far as I am concerned.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Gorn Myson posted:

"I don't know about you people, but I don't want to live in a world where someone else makes the world a better place, better than we do" is one of the best satirical lines against tech utopianism that I've ever heard.

Yeah they def nailed the inherent contradiction of utopianism by means of hypercapitalist corporations.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Cinara posted:

For anyone that doesn't listen to the Comedy Bang Bang postcast, three of guys from Silicon Valley were on it back at March 30th and it is AMAZING. Tomas Middleditch is hilarious, I would have never thought of him as being so funny but drat.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/a-silicon-valley-p-cast/

I was floored when I read on the Earwolf site that he's Joey Tortellini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

I thought the episode was great but also kind of sad that the actor that played Peter Gregory passed away. His replacement though was loving terrible.

Hated Hated Hated Petery Gregory's replacement.

• Locked thread