Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago
It takes s lot of empty calories to come up with lovely ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
The truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
According to this, it was Steven Spielberg not George Lucas: https://youtu.be/wW49cy61PM4?t=1012

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

I'm also getting this Facebook ad constantly:

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Oh was that dude supposed to be mark Cuban? For some reason whenever a hasn't done anything in 20 years gets brought up I think of Wozniak.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Probably more Sean Parker than Mark Cuban?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

PaganGoatPants posted:

Probably more Sean Parker than Mark Cuban?

Mark Cuban literally made his fortune by selling his Radio On Internet (ROI) to Yahoo for billions.

I mean, I'm sure the character fits the profile of other Silicon Valley douchebags, but there's no doubt who the main inspiration was.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ultramiraculous posted:

The billboard made me laugh since it wasn't out of place compared to all the other vague flashy startup company ads.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
He's a lot of Sean Parker too, honestly. You really can't pigeonhole him into being one irl person

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Whoever got Cuban (or suggested he join the cast) onto Shark Tank did wonders for his reputation.

Fun fact about Shark Tank, though - everyone who walked into the studio before Cuban joined had already given up equity (5%) or a 2% royalty to the company producing the show. He nixed that as part of his agreement to stay on the cast because he thought it was lovely and would lower the caliber of entrepreneurs who would want to appear on the show.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 1, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ultramiraculous posted:

I like how they updated the parody website for season 2:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

etalian posted:

I like how they updated the parody website for season 2:

Haha, the bios are terrific too:

quote:

Born in Islamabad, Dinesh became a naturalized citizen in 2010, unlike Gilfoyle, who was an illegal Canadian alien until quite recently and is a piece of garbage. He has received degrees in information theory and computer science from Yale, Caltech and Oxford and published several books on advanced Java tools. His hobbies include both watching rugby and the wearing of its signature shirts (which combine form and function in a way not popularly appreciated) as well as libertarian politics.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
This show is pretty good. (In fact, given the decline of Arrow, Community and Game of Thrones - maybe the best show on TV right now?) The Mike Judge vibe keeps making me think of King of the Hill. Fast talking Russ Hannaman turning up with his fancy car and having difficulty starting it I can entirely see animated in that style. I can totally see Hank Hill suppressing rage around him.

The show is kind of a background thing for me, like I put it on while I play a game or something, and after this ep I'm a little concerned about how many jokes I've missed because of it. I almost missed Dinesh googling Russ and them trying to replicate his smile!

Since I missed thread #1 and I don't know nothin' 'bout the real world Silicon Valley (it was cool to learn Russ' real world basis from you guys) - I'm wondering, were Peter Gregory and Gavin Belson obvious analogs of anyone? (Steve Jobs for the latter?)

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Peter Gregory was based on Peter Thiel and Gavin Belson is kind of based on Jobs, yes.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Peter Thiel's hilarious all on his own. Being a tech billionaire hasn't made him Emperor of the United States and it just burns his rear end.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

VagueRant posted:

This show is pretty good. (In fact, given the decline of Arrow, Community and Game of Thrones - maybe the best show on TV right now?) The Mike Judge vibe keeps making me think of King of the Hill. Fast talking Russ Hannaman turning up with his fancy car and having difficulty starting it I can entirely see animated in that style. I can totally see Hank Hill suppressing rage around him.
You say this like Arrow was actually a contender for best show on television at some point.

adrenaline_junket
May 29, 2005
gotta get a rush!

Sinestro posted:

Peter Gregory was based on Peter Thiel and Gavin Belson is kind of based on Jobs, yes.

I'd say that Gavin Belson is more a mix of Sergey Brin/Larry Page and Bill Gates. Hooli is also a bit of a mix between Google and Microsoft.

I don't think we've seen any one that really channels steve jobs yet. Erlich is trying and failing at it, but Jobs had a very specific set of tendencies, and we're yet to see them. That said, I felt that Peter Gregory's funeral was a replica of Jobs' funeral. I was waiting for Cold Play or U2 to come out at the end.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

adrenaline_junket posted:

That said, I felt that Peter Gregory's funeral was a replica of Jobs' funeral. I was waiting for Cold Play or U2 to come out at the end.

Or "Florida."

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Whoever got Cuban (or suggested he join the cast) onto Shark Tank did wonders for his reputation.

Fun fact about Shark Tank, though - everyone who walked into the studio before Cuban joined had already given up equity (5%) or a 2% royalty to the company producing the show. He nixed that as part of his agreement to stay on the cast because he thought it was lovely and would lower the caliber of entrepreneurs who would want to appear on the show.

I watch way too much of that show and Mark Cuban really is the least pretentious/terrible rich dickbag on it. For whatever little that means.

Henchman of Santa posted:

You say this like Arrow was actually a contender for best show on television at some point.

You say that like it isn't.

Pug Smugly
Apr 5, 2011
If Richard Scarry had witnessed the world of Silicon Valley
http://welcometobusinesstown.tumblr.com/

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sinestro posted:

On a side note here's a funny writeup of the show being in touch with reality, basically a VC firm did recently rent Giants park for a
networking event:
https://recode.net/2015/04/30/inside-founder-field-day-like-a-scene-lifted-from-hbos-silicon-valley/

etalian fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 3, 2015

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Upstairs, the group of companies in Rothenberg’s River Virtual Reality accelerator demoed their products. One station recreated the night of Trayvon Martin’s death in CGI, using the recordings of 911 calls made by neighbors. I watched a virtual George Zimmerman chase down Martin even as the 911 operator says, “We don’t need you to do that.”

Holy poo poo.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

quote:

When the emcee announced Taboo’s set, the techie nerds ignored him. In seconds, he’d leaped onto the bar that stretched through Pedro’s Cantina and strutted it like a catwalk. “C’mon!” he hollered. “Let’s do this!”

He took the DJ stand and started with a BEP classic: “I’ve got a feeling, that tonight’s gonna be a good night …” The techies began leaping and moshing to the best of their abilities.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

adrenaline_junket posted:

I don't think we've seen any one that really channels steve jobs yet. Erlich is trying and failing at it, but Jobs had a very specific set of tendencies, and we're yet to see them. That said, I felt that Peter Gregory's funeral was a replica of Jobs' funeral. I was waiting for Cold Play or U2 to come out at the end.

I could see Big Head turning into Jobs - guy who has no business succeeding but helped co-found Pied Piper and is pushed as the "creative genius" behind their compression algorithm

I think that's the whole point of the show - Richard vs. Big Head will eventually become the next Peter vs. Gavin

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Big head in black turtle neck with half of his lunch spilled on it.

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
"All of that, plus you're a strong woman." Jared just keeps on digging.

Also, holy poo poo that entire Hanneman scene.

Kleptobot fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 4, 2015

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

LOL effeminate k.d. lang.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Cunty. This chick rocks I hope she stick around because holy poo poo she's hilarious.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Another story of the show taking off in the tech world:
http://techcrunch.com/2015/05/03/ppiper-pied-imitates-hbos-silicon-valley-and-creates-lossless-compression-for-online-images/

Programmers created a new image compression technique and named it Piper Pied

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
"Eric was crying in Taco Bell"

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
i've disrupted fatherhood

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Goddamnit the way they are handling the woman engineer is more cringeworthy to me than all the other cringeworthy plots put together.

It's making a useful statement though.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

fleshweasel posted:

Goddamnit the way they are handling the woman engineer is more cringeworthy to me than all the other cringeworthy plots put together.

It's not that cringeworthy for me, but that's probably because I barely consider OJ a real person.

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

fleshweasel posted:

I do like that it looks like she'll be able to gently caress with Gilfoyle and Dinesh on their level in a way that Richard, OJ, and Erlich can't.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Please rename thread "Silicon Valley: Crushing it, 2014 - present."

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
I really dig this show.

Was a bit worried with how the female engineer would be handled but her character is great so far. Original Jared being so awkward about it is very cringey but they still got jokes out of it at least.

The tech start-up Entourage comments are becoming more and more apt every week but it's still holding up.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I'm surprised how well they managed to handle the addition of a female engineer to the cast while still making it super funny. The whole exchange hit a liiiiiitle too close to home for some of my coworkers I think.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

fleshweasel posted:

A room full of gay/female Facebook engineers literally face palmed through that whole hiring exchange. Jared was basically quoting a Zuck/Sheryl Q&A where the moral should have been "just seriously don't discriminate against women" in a magical ideal world, but nobody should seem to articulate it.

Also hopefully "moonshot" and GoogleX[YZ} are ridiculous to the public now?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

VagueRant posted:

Fast talking Russ Hannaman turning up with his fancy car and having difficulty starting it I can entirely see animated in that style. I can totally see Hank Hill suppressing rage around him.

I actually see Russ as more like a one-episode Beavis & Butthead character. Like someone who would show up and hire them for some corporate job, not knowing what idiots they really are because he thinks they're funny and being ironic when they talk about turds and boobs all day, then realizes at the end they really are that dumb.

Talorat posted:

I'm surprised how well they managed to handle the addition of a female engineer to the cast while still making it super funny. The whole exchange hit a liiiiiitle too close to home for some of my coworkers I think.

Yeah, same. Every startup company I've ever seen is a boys' club and then the appearance of any woman offsets the mancave balance.

It's a little weird how awkward everyone is around all women except Monica though. Maybe because they see her as someone in power? They seem to act no differently around her, yet any time another woman walks into the house they freeze up and get all weird and overcompensate. Maybe that's :thejoke: though.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I think they treat Monica as a corporate shill or nanny.

Hooli.xyz is just as douchy a site as one would imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Hey, link it. http://hooli.xyz

• Locked thread