Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Super Ninja Fish posted:

The blog post about Dorne was all true

No it isn't, in fact it begins with the exact kind of dumbass observation that people love to write blogpost screeds about which isn't supported at all by the text: it suggests that the writers are bad for even sending Jaime on an infiltration mission to begin with because he's so famous. But the show is completely aware of that. Cersei tries to dissuade him (to the extent that someone who so badly wants him to succeed can), and Bronn asks why the gently caress he would come instead of sending somebody else. There are two well-established reasons:

1) Jaime acts without thinking. He's not an idiot, but he prefers grand gestures and action to strategy. He's been doing this kind of poo poo since the first season, where he attacks the then-hand (Ned) and kills one of his men in a street fight. He can't sit around and do nothing, and when he does - when he's Robb Stark and then the guy who isn't Vargo Hoat's prisoner - it makes him depressed and loopy and forces him to confront his demons.

2) The core conflict at the heart of Jaime's character is about the burden of knighthood; he's constantly forced to choose between what he wants, what's good for House Lannister, what's just and right by the standards of Westerosi honor, and what's actually right and good. When he does something genuinely good - like kill the Mad King or free Tyrion - he's punished and shamed for it. He wants to regain his honor, to fill up that big dumb book at the King's Guard HQ with heroic deeds, and "rescuing a princess" is the kind of grand gesture that he perceives as heroic. And he hosed this one up, too, because he doesn't think.

The Dorne story was badly executed, the Sand Snakes were dumb, and it seems obvious to me that they were just trying to fold plotlines together for narrative convenience (just like Theon and Sansa). But the idea wasn't a total abortion from the start or something and it doesn't do any good to smugly assert poo poo that the show itself agrees with ("sending Jaime to Dorne is a stupid plan").

EDIT: lol what a way 2 start a page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Bobo the Red posted:

The show producers have outright stated the show Ramsay is not as well known as in he was in the books. Littlefinger would have very little way of knowing about his tendencies. Even if he did, Littlefinger made his fortune buying and selling women, and he destroyed a whole country to get what he wanted. Maybe he did know. Why would that have stopped him?

The producers don't have to say that, though. The audience has to see it based on what they're shown.

It's not really clear in the show whether Ramsay is well-known or not based on what see in the show. Furthermore, Littlefinger is a lying, deceiving rear end in a top hat, so if you want to convey information about something, doing so through Littlefinger is not necessarily the best idea since the audience will doubt him / question him.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 5, 2016

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I don't give a poo poo about celebrity couples or anything like that, but Kit Harrington and Ygritte dating IRL is loving adorable.

Oh God is this real? She probably constantly tells him he knows nothing.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Pedro De Heredia posted:

The producers don't have to say that, though. The audience has to see it based on what they're shown.

It's not really clear in the show whether Ramsay is well-known or not based on what see in the show. Furthermore, Littlefinger is a lying, deceiving rear end in a top hat, so if you want to convey information about something, doing so through Littlefinger is not necessarily the best idea since the audience will doubt him / question him.

I would argue that they did show that no one knew about Ramsay, to the extent that it's possible to show such a thing: when the Mountain started destroying the Riverlands, they made a point of showing people being outraged by it. Even with the wars, what Ramsay does should raise eyebrows, and yet no one even knows his name.

The North is vast, sparsely populated, and fiercely loyal. Recruiting spies there can't be easy, and would hardly seem worth it.

Consider that Roose has presumably enforced the First Night customs for decades, right under Ned's nose.

sink the biz
Jun 13, 2002

My goodness my Guinness

Elephanthead posted:

They probably nicknamed his penis "Lord Commander". Or maybe "Needle" when she's angry w him.

He calls her vag "Hoarfrost Hill"

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Littlefinger is defo up to something though. He wants to be named King in the North, yet willingly gives up his legitimacy-ticket Sansa to his competitor Roose. I'm thinking that he knows how poorly Sansa will be treated and wants the people in the North to see it so that he can ride in with the support from Tommen to rescue her, winning the favor of the North and further legitimizing his claim. And of course, compared to Ramsay, Littlefinger must look like King loving Arthur to Sansa so she would be more than willing to side gently caress with him.

Littlefinger is pretty loving smart imo

e: fucks

Setset fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 5, 2016

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Maybe he planned to lay claim to Bolton and Stark lands through a marriage with Sansa? That'd mean eliminating his new allies after Ramsay had married Sansa, but he does like to think 10 steps ahead.

Unfortunately Sansa has just inconveniently jumped off a wall, and an army of undead is set to overrun his future kingdoms. Slight spanner in the works there...

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Don't forget LF has promised Cersei that he would smite the Boltons for having Sansa and not sending her to Kings Landing for punishment. You can't take credit for that if you don't give Sansa to the Boltons.

I am sure somehow LF will get a job with the Ice King if he has too. They must have some kink they need filled.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

sink the biz posted:

They probably nicknamed his penis "Lord Commander". Or maybe "Needle" when she's angry w him.

He calls her vag "Hoarfrost Hill"

"Bigfinger"

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
LF is basically a creature of chaos (which is a ladder). He made himself protected, placed a pawn in the middle of a brewing chaos, and waited for the outcome. Whether Stannis or the Boltons won, he could use the Vale army to destroy the weakened winner. But if Sansa wasn't there, Cersei probably wouldn't give a gently caress about the North and told him and his army to stay put. Then, things would get... awkward. Specially because there still apparently is only one army-worthy bridge to the North, and that's still controlled by the Freys.

That said, I'm looking forward to the immensely awkward scene where he explains to the Vale lords that Sansa, last seen safe and secure in their midst, is now in the North. The previous season skipped over this most wonderfully.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

tooterfish posted:

Maybe he planned to lay claim to Bolton and Stark lands through a marriage with Sansa? That'd mean eliminating his new allies after Ramsay had married Sansa, but he does like to think 10 steps ahead.

Unfortunately Sansa has just inconveniently jumped off a wall, and an army of undead is set to overrun his future kingdoms. Slight spanner in the works there...

The Stark claim supercedes the Bolton one (well, normally. Right now, it's reversed), and you can't really hold multiple titles, which is why Renly was in charge of the Stormlands when Robert was King, and why Cersei isn't in charge of the Lannister holdings.

I don't think Littlefinger thinks 10 steps ahead so much as he is really good at improvising. He thrives when he can sow chaos and grab whatever comes his way. Giving Sansa to the Boltons helps drive a wedge between them and the Iron Throne

If he planned things out, it seems unlikely Cat would've wound up dead (unless his love for her is a red herring).

meristem posted:

That said, I'm looking forward to the immensely awkward scene where he explains to the Vale lords that Sansa, last seen safe and secure in their midst, is now in the North. The previous season skipped over this most wonderfully.

Sansa is, to everyone south of wherever Rickon is hiding, the rightful holder of Winterfell. Her going there doesn't need much explanation, especially since the Vale is nominally still allied with the Iron Throne (and therefore, with the Boltons)

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 5, 2016

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

It's the #1 trend on Facebook. It sucks for them because basically you're never allowed to break up. If you do you break millions of hearts instead of one.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

kiimo posted:

It's the #1 trend on Facebook. It sucks for them because basically you're never allowed to break up. If you do you break millions of hearts instead of one.

Didn't they date earlier in the run of the show and then break up (and maybe he dated Emilia Clarke after)?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

meristem posted:

I doubt the Vale lords would care that much. LF attempting to restore some semblance of Stark presence at Winterfell would probably be seen as due diligence to them, wouldn't it?

Littlefinger probably did know about Ramsay being a weird crazy rear end in a top hat, but why is it so unbelievable that he'd underestimate how true that is? Roose Bolton isn't any less of an insane, sadistic rear end in a top hat than Ramsay, but he still comprehends political reality and can make pragmatic choices. Like, "maybe we shouldn't flay Theon's dick off." Given that Sansa Stark is beloved in the region and the Boltons are intensely hated, it's a bad political move to torture her for kicks, and I could see LF mistakenly thinking Roose wouldn't let his son do that.

Of course, Ramsay *IS* actually that crazy and Roose clearly doesn't care that much. But there's a difference between carving up enemy combatants for information and torturing your wife for fun, and I can accept that LF would know about the former and underestimate the latter.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
“I want to see Daenerys and her three dragons share the throne. Eat goat they’ve barbecued. And bring back all the pretty boys, get them to take their trousers down, and be like, ‘I’m now the queen of everything! I’d like close-ups of all the boys’ penises, please.'

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

El Hefe posted:

“I want to see Daenerys and her three dragons share the throne. Eat goat they’ve barbecued. And bring back all the pretty boys, get them to take their trousers down, and be like, ‘I’m now the queen of everything! I’d like close-ups of all the boys’ penises, please.'
I really hope they do this now just so idiots collectively lose their poo poo.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Bobo the Red posted:

Didn't they date earlier in the run of the show and then break up (and maybe he dated Emilia Clarke after)?

I dont think hes ever been on the same set as Clarke.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Regardless, I think they all see each other at the studio in Belfast.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I saw a picture of Kit and Emilia kissing but I don't know whether it was completely staged or whether they were dating.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It was just a snog of ice and fire.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Game of Thrones Season 6: A Snog of Ice and Fire

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
It is strange that a character, seemingly as intelligent as LF, would completely ignore the impending invasion from the White Walkers.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he doesn't believe in them since they are a stupid plot idea that shouldn't have ever been part of the story.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Manic X posted:

It is strange that a character, seemingly as intelligent as LF, would completely ignore the impending invasion from the White Walkers.

Who do you think gave them their orders? :smug:

How is there not a :smugfinger: yet?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

How is there not a :smugfinger: yet?

Least menacing Bond villain ever.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI0ib1NErqg

hey ya'll

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

OH no Pod!

:ohdear:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

edit: nvm, wrong thread

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 12, 2016

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

:gizz:

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

El Hefe posted:

"This year, El Hefe is a writer for our show"

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any clarity to how quickly new episodes appeared for HBO Go versus HBO Now? Was one hour after broadcast still the norm for Go versus within 5 minutes of the start of airing for Now?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Thwomp posted:

Does anyone have any clarity to how quickly new episodes appeared for HBO Go versus HBO Now? Was one hour after broadcast still the norm for Go versus within 5 minutes of the start of airing for Now?

Last season HBO Go had the episode pop up right at 9 or like a few minutes past nine if I remember correctly.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Sorry but which time zone are you referring? I can't tell if you're saying its up on Go right after it starts to air or if you mean it went up right after it finished airing.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
He means 9pm EST. I remember it popped up basically right when or a few moments after it aired live so you'll be able to live post if that's your thing.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
The entire Internet is failing today in answering my stupid simple question; Does the iTunes release of Season 5 come with the commentary tracks w/ Benioff & Weiss, or are those only on the DVD/Blu-ray versions? If yes, how do you access them?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

An accurate prediction.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
who's going to make the season 6 thread? I assume we're still keeping two threads, since the Spoiler Thread will include things like episode titles, casting info, leaked pictures, etc., that I'm sure many goons (myself included) would rather not know.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

did a screener leak or something cuz someone linked me a spoiler image collage.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Groovelord Neato posted:

did a screener leak or something cuz someone linked me a spoiler image collage.

:argh:Obamaaaaaa:argh:
http://www.refinery29.com/2016/04/108430/obama-game-of-thrones-foia-request

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Anyone interested a GoT season 6 Fantasy league? Yeah, I know it's nerdy as poo poo, but it could also be fun.

• Locked thread