Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

whatever7 posted:

Come on now she didn't kill her brother.

He's talking about the impression that people who don't know her and didn't see any of those events would have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
"Dude did you hear how the dragon queen killed her brother? They were at Drogo's party and she told Drogo to crown him with molten gold!"

"Bullshit dude, what party has a forge?"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Well I heard that the Dragon Queen breathed fire and melted the gold herself.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lycus posted:

Well I heard that the Dragon Queen breathed fire and melted the gold herself.

"Let's go to the brothel and gently caress the girl who dresses like her!"
:hfive:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

steinrokkan posted:

Anyway, has it been indicated how far Dany's power reaches? My impression is that she only ever controls one city, and whenever she moves on, her former dominion reverts to the old ways. Which sort of contributes to her image as a loving failure in the Game of Thrones(TM)(R)

IIRC, Dany is basically the current Queen of Slaver's Bay, with some... vague form of regional governance for the cities she isn't actively in. I think it was mentioned how after she left Yunkai the old slave masters took back control, so she's trying to establish some kind of actual system where her law is enforced.

Her presumable plan is that whilst she isn't - and probably doesn't intend to be - ruling a single nation state, her dominance of key economic points within an otherwise disparate region means that she might be able to make slavery economically untenable (ie, the same way the British Empire did, though they also had naval dominance to add to their range) within the area, and thus give it an actual end. If she were allowed to do this for the long haul (rather than year by year to reflect a TV season), we might be able to see her influence on the region outside her immediately control, buuuut that's probably not gonna happen.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I think they said some warlord setup shop in Yunkai after she left so she sent Daario and some troops out to put him down and regain control. She had intended to keep moving on to Westeros but this made her realize she had to hang out and try to establish a working order or everything will be chaos when she leaves. She probably could have taken King's Landing by now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I think they said some warlord setup shop in Yunkai after she left so she sent Daario and some troops out to put him down and regain control. She had intended to keep moving on to Westeros but this made her realize she had to hang out and try to establish a working order or everything will be chaos when she leaves. She probably could have taken King's Landing by now.

Even though it's slowing down the action in her storyline, I am glad they're doing this - since taking Qarth she's basically been unstoppable and easily conquered everything in her path, but she'd constantly been in motion and hopelessly naive that simply conquering was enough. Having it come home to roost (unlike Drogon) that poo poo just doesn't stay settled and she needs to actually rule the lands she conquers is really good for her, or else her taking of Westeros would have just lead to further unrest after the initial shock of her arrival wore off.

Robert won the Revolution but then had to spend the next 17 years ruling and he hated every minute of it and did everything he could to ignore his responsibilities, and the chaos that followed his death should have come as no surprise. Dany is learning at a young age that she has to actually show an example, deal with complex problems with solutions beyond,"Burn them all!" and provide the support structure to entail long term societal changes. It's not "sexy" but it is vitally important, and fascinating to watch in its own right - the ruler with the best army AND the trump card of the dragons is still struggling to be an effective leader.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Well, since the moment she captured the Unsullied legion, she has been bleeding troops seemingly for no gain. Good job, your elite frontline fighters are getting killed in the streets of a city you recently didn't even know existed, while your rightful kingdom lies without a strong ruler.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

tooterfish posted:

Most of the Dothraki hosed off after Drogo died (they wouldn't follow a woman), all she had left was a small handful of faithful followers.

They're still around I think, you see them in the odd shot (edit: at least I'm sure I have).

I keep wondering why a Dothraki horde hasn't showed up to attack her for "corrupting" their great Drogo. I seem to remember he was like, Dothraki Jesus or the Kwizatz Haderach or whatever.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

All the problems Dany is facing now would just be multiplied a hundredfold with any campaign on King's Landing. Basically an entire generation has grown up knowing Baratheon rule, and the Tommen/Margaery monarchy seems well-loved by both the people and the ruling class. Dany is having enough trouble holding onto relatively centralized city-states where she easily decapitated the previous leadership, let alone the vast web of feudal fiefdoms who have very few reasons to support what is now basically a foreign invading mercenary army. An invasion from Essos is also highly complicated and would require a huge logistical/transport component beyond "marching down the road". Stannis landing in the North where the locals are, if not friendly, at least neutral, was pretty smart even beyond his attempted power play with Jon and the Wildlings, plus he has the financial backing of the Iron Bank which helps a lot of his logistical problems as well. (Edit: It also helps that his number two has an exceptional skill set in logistics and the navy! Dany's small council, on the other hand, are two guys who can fight well?)

Basically Dany's only real trump card militarily and politically are her dragons and, welp, she kinda hosed that up too

Edit 2: Why are the Second Sons even hanging around for so long unless they're getting paid, and where is that money coming from? Any profit they could get from sacking the cities would eventually dry up. I'm sure what's-his-face has plenty of reason to hang around but I'm sure his subordinates kind of want cash

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 4, 2015

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
She apparently took control of Mereen's powerful Navy and Tywin called Barristan an experienced general and basically called Joffrey a fool for firing him. I doubt Tywin would care if he was just a swordsman. Trying to rule she would probably still be hosed at this point but if she has her dragons she could probably sit her rear end on that throne in King's Landing for a while if she attacked.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
She was supposed to recruit the mysterious warriors of the Orient for the specific purpose of pacifying the inferior levies of the Westeros who don't wield pure hanzo steel. She's wasting that potential without any apparent goal. The Lannisters and Baratheons are actually very unpopular, based on clues provided in the show, so it's not like her position would be any more untenable.

As for having a fleet capable of supporting her invasion - it seems to be basically a plot hole that she failed to secure one after the purge of all the leadership of that town with the teleporting wizards - there was at least one major maritime trader capable of accommodating her men, and following his death Dany was seemingly in a position to take control of his assets. But much like the teleporting wizards, this plot point seems to have been completely forgotten in favour of a tediously meandering melodramatic soap opera from the Orient.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

let's talk about the real fantasy on HBO right now, Cleveland Browns fans chanting super bowl? :eyepop:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

She was supposed to recruit the mysterious warriors of the Orient for the specific purpose of pacifying the inferior levies of the Westeros who don't wield pure hanzo steel. She's wasting that potential without any apparent goal. The Lannisters and Baratheons are actually very unpopular, based on clues provided in the show, so it's not like her position would be any more untenable.

Joffrey was unpopular because he was a little poo poo. Tommen can reap all the benefits of the Margaery Tyrell PR machine without the negatives of being Joffrey or being Tywin's sock puppet.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Joffrey was unpopular because he was a little poo poo. Tommen can reap all the benefits of the Margaery Tyrell PR machine without the negatives of being Joffrey or being Tywin's sock puppet.

Let's wait for E04.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Let's wait for E04.

Well, I'm starting it now, and expecting something bad to happen (more than usual).

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Gendry made it !!!

oh

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Jorah should've fought Mayweather instead of Pacquiao

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
drat, Jorah.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

The SituAsian posted:

Jorah should've fought Mayweather instead of Pacquiao
Does he get his armor and sword

Mayweather would probably still be favored

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

JT Jag posted:

Does he get his armor and sword

Mayweather would probably still be favored

can't stab a hugger

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Poor Mace Tyrell :(

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Meryn loving Trant...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Meryn loving Trant...

Pfft, any boy with a sword could beat three Meryn Trants.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Holy gently caress in a world of loons these guys are the loving looniest.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Great, Cersei has added "religious fanatic murderers" to Westeros's list of hosed-up problems

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's kinda spooky how closely Tommen resembles Joffrey now.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Say what you will about Joffery but this poo poo never would have happened on his watch.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Great, Cersei has added "religious fanatic murderers" to Westeros's list of hosed-up problems

Cersei is the grandma that clicks next on every application installer because it's the fastest way to get rid of the nagging.

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.
Looks like Tommen's gonna sleep on the couch tonight.

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.
Well, Tommen isn't getting any tonight.

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

TNO posted:

Looks like Tommen's gonna sleep on the couch tonight.

He's in so far over his head I feel abd for him

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Winkie01 posted:

Say what you will about Joffery but this poo poo never would have happened on his watch.

Yep, the spike maker would have had a field day.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Photex posted:

can't stab a hugger
Maybe.

You can't slip a mandritto fendente though...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ok, if this continues maybe I can see how Dany would be welcomed as a liberator. Though now with Stannis we have a setup for a religious war!

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Winkie01 posted:

But poo poo DID happen on his watch

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Tommen got the Naive Appeaser education trait, I see

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Spiffster posted:

But poo poo DID happen on his watch

yeah and he tried to have everyone in that street killed, Joffery knew who he was and the power he had, Tommen just got his dick wet for the first time.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Nodding is an art form at Castle Black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light