Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Lycus posted:

I don't know think so. I think bastard names are usually more about where you're raised, not who your father is. And the Targaryens aren't from the Riverlands, anyway.
Right, it's Waters for the Crownlands. Jon Waters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

counterfeitsaint posted:

Thank you guys for eclipsing Bobo the Red's endless wave of terrible opinions. Joffery did nothing wrong is the single most :psyduck: thing this thread has ever produced.

I think it's perfectly logical that Joffrey enjoyed spending his evenings shooting prostitutes with crossbow bolts because he wasn't allowed in the Little Counsel meetings. I mean, what else would he possibly do after that?

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

steinrokkan posted:

Was there a reason for the Littlefinger's actor to switch from a normal speaking voice to the retarded whispery affected act he's got going now? I don't recall one, and it really has been bothering me for a while.

Aidan Gillen's ever-changing voice has been a point of complaint on these forums for a long while.

I don't think that I've seen a real reason other than he's just inconsistent? I'd like to think it's about him adapting and changing his 'real self' as part of a master plan. But it just comes across as lazy acting? He varies from light Irish undertones to a raspy whisper most recently.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
After hearing the sand snakes Aiden Gillen's bad accent doesn't even register

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

whoflungpoop posted:

"When I wass a chi-el, this man come to me and sayed he was my fatheyr."

Seriously, do better, Sand Snakes. Oberyn ruled insanely. Be better.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Xealot posted:

"When I wass a chi-el, this man come to me and sayed he was my fatheyr."

Seriously, do better, Sand Snakes. Oberyn ruled insanely. Be better.

The oldest one seemed ok but the other 2-3? were distractingly bad

Even the extras in Meereen sound convincingly from some place other than a Syfy Original

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

whoflungpoop posted:

Yeah I'm gonna agree with basically everyone else in this thread that the Sand Snakes were terrible attempts at matching Oberyn's fantasy-Spain accent/bravado, as far as we've seen them at least.

I still have a soft spot for Aiden Gillen's fluctuating accent. It was really endearing early on when you could kinda write it off as character building, because he was a commoner with a backwater accent trying to fake his way to the top in King's Landing. It seemed arguable that Littlefinger broke out of "raspy-articulate-whisper" voice and showed his true accent when he was comfortable. Lately it just feels like either the actor is getting lazy/not practicing, but at the same time it would almost make plot-sense if Littlefinger was slowly not bothering to act :shrug:

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does anyone know if they're filming anywhere in Spain for Dorne? I'm mainly asking because the Mosque-Cathedral of Cordoba would make such an awesome location for this series.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

courtney_beth posted:

Aidan Gillen's ever-changing voice has been a point of complaint on these forums for a long while.

I don't think that I've seen a real reason other than he's just inconsistent? I'd like to think it's about him adapting and changing his 'real self' as part of a master plan. But it just comes across as lazy acting? He varies from light Irish undertones to a raspy whisper most recently.

I always took it as to who he wanted to deal with, he'd kind of change to fit it.

Dealing with a ruler in King's Landing? Be commanding and direct.

Dealing with a dumbass Stark kid you're manipulating? Try to make everything sound whispery and mournful.

It never bothered me.

ED: His Chaos is a Ladder speech is what I'd guess his normal speaking voice is, since Vary's was one of the few people he'd drop the act with.

Maarak posted:

Bastards from the Crownlands (the area surrounding and including Kings Landing) are given the surname Waters.

Behold, the one true King of Westeros:

He should not only be put on the show immediately, he should be the biggest pimp and baddest rear end on the whole series. "I will feed your eyes to my flamingos!"

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 16, 2015

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

Kanine posted:

Does anyone know if they're filming anywhere in Spain for Dorne? I'm mainly asking because the Mosque-Cathedral of Cordoba would make such an awesome location for this series.

Dorne is Spain, yeah. Dr. Bashir's water gardens are the Alcazar of Seville.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kanine posted:

Far as I can tell, they're filming in various locations in the province of Seville, though the Mosque-Cathedral of Cordoba would be a cool location. Only problem would be all the various obviously Christian shrines in there, but I suppose shots can be planned in such a way that this wouldn't be an issue, or they could CG some poo poo to cover them up.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xealot posted:

Oberyn ruled insanely.

Why is that actor not in bigger name movies or TV shows yet?

Seriously, dude radiated charisma. It takes some serious skills to make everyone a huge fan of a character that had such a sadly short run. Very few actors could have knocked it out of the park like that.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: His Chaos is a Ladder speech is what I'd guess his normal speaking voice is, since Vary's was one of the few people he'd drop the act with.
Rewatching that speech reminds me how good show Littlefinger can be at his best, shame that it only comes at times and the writers have been kinda schizophrenic with him

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Potooweet posted:

If the entire thing was staged to let Ned off the hook and send him to the wall, why was the Kings executioner there, with Ned's sword in hand for an extra ironic and somewhat personal seeming touch? Watch the scene again. Everyone up on the steps is stunned, freaks out, and tries to talk Joffrey out of it. Except for

I got the impression that wasn't his plan, but was more like "Well that's an unexpected benefit!"

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I assumed that Aiden Gillen's flaky accent was intentional, because I like to think that they wouldn't let an actor in a major role on a high-profile HBO series gently caress up that bad.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am just waiting for him to show up in a scene and sound exactly like Carcetti.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am just waiting for him to show up in a scene and sound exactly like Carcetti.

Well he's already been juking the stats and messing up law and order. Not so great on education either. But he's going places.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
He must have taken off the mask. :(

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
You know, speaking of Ned's execution: I'm rewatching it's the only time so far where Sophie Turner's Sansa breaks her stoic act and starts crying for daddy. It's really great, especially for a teengager, and helps drive home that Sansa's actually pretty good at keeping her cool. She was great at keeping Joffrey and co at bay, minimizing her suffering without pissing anyone off, and now she's likely going to graduate from passive to active manipulator.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Blazing Ownager posted:

Seriously, dude radiated charisma. It takes some serious skills to make everyone a huge fan of a character that had such a sadly short run. Very few actors could have knocked it out of the park like that.

Probably too ethnic for mainstream

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

King's Landing deserves better and it's high time the people of Westeros stood together and shouted we will not accept this!

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Hexel posted:

Probably too ethnic for mainstream

I hate this argument so much. Some of the most popular and most-watched shows on television are things like Empire and Scandal, which all involve nonwhite leads and significantly nonwhite casts. Not to mention that Game of Thrones is itself pretty "mainstream" at this point (the second most-watched cable show after Walking Dead), and Oberyn was one of its most popular characters last season.

The continued insistence that "America won't get behind a nonwhite leading man" mostly helps to perpetuate racist attitudes, frankly. Just a few years ago, it was "a fact" that female-led films didn't earn money and weren't worth funding. The last 2 Hunger Games films earned $700-$850 Million each.

I see no reason Pedro Pascal couldn't become a big deal.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Xealot posted:

I hate this argument so much. Some of the most popular and most-watched shows on television are things like Empire and Scandal, which all involve nonwhite leads and significantly nonwhite casts. Not to mention that Game of Thrones is itself pretty "mainstream" at this point (the second most-watched cable show after Walking Dead), and Oberyn was one of its most popular characters last season.

The continued insistence that "America won't get behind a nonwhite leading man" mostly helps to perpetuate racist attitudes, frankly. Just a few years ago, it was "a fact" that female-led films didn't earn money and weren't worth funding. The last 2 Hunger Games films earned $700-$850 Million each.

Its a lovely truth but the truth nonetheless, if he had titties he would be a lead. Just look at Salma Hayek before she got old.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Xealot posted:

While there have been recent strides, the overall point is still pretty true: there are far more charming, likeable and qualified nonwhite actors than there are roles for them. TV is getting better about that, certainly much faster than movies are, but it's still very true. There's a reason Fresh Off the Boat is considered important; it's a similar reason why some people are upset the "Mindy Project" got cancelled. Acknowledging a problem does not perpetuate it, it allows it to be addressed.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

courtney_beth posted:

It is a bit odd, but he is a great actor and I highly doubt the directors and the producers would let one of the actors be "lazy" about one of the main characters accent.

Kanine posted:

There was a pre season "day in the life of filming Game of Thrones" thing they put up on Youtube. They film on location in Spain (Dorne stuff), Croatia (Kings Landing), Malta (misc bits), Morocco (Dany stuff) Iceland (snow stuff), and Ireland (most other stuff). They have units filming simultaneously in multiple locations so co-ordinate over skype and stuff. Looks like a logistical nightmare :) This is a pretty good non spoiler summary - http://www.skyscanner.net/news/38-amazing-game-thrones-locations-pictures

Blazing Ownager posted:

Look at the dudes filmography on Wikipedia - he's not exactly been short of work and has a bunch of stuff coming up.

Mr Beens fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 17, 2015

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
I feel like Arya might get to kill that dick kings guard today.

I also feel like Bronn might go to prove the dumb snakes mean business :(

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Blazing Ownager posted:

it takes time to film things. hes only been popular for a year, movies take more than a year to make!!!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Bobo the Red posted:

I feel like Arya might get to kill that dick kings guard today.

I also feel like Bronn might go to prove the dumb snakes mean business :(

I will be so upset if Bronn dies. He needs to retire as Tyrion's Kingsguard damnnit

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Man Dinklage looked so much younger back in Season 1.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
When is not-Bashir going to get off his lazy rear end and do something?

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Mister Kingdom posted:

When is not-Bashir going to get off his lazy rear end and do something?

Don't gout-shame.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Arya, if you become no one, how do you remember all the people you wanna kill? Think about it!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

Arya, if you become no one, how do you remember all the people you wanna kill? Think about it!
She'll remember. It just won't matter.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hell yeah Arya kill that kid.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
She's going to find a Soylent Green factory, isn't she?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Westeros has a head museum!

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
"You lied to and killed that kid pretty good just now. Welcome to the club."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Well you could have told her that was an option!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:stare: well that was creepy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Not really liking the pacing of the Arya plot this episode, she went from clueless to an excellent liar in 15 minutes

• Locked thread