Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kyte posted:

I assume Arakawa didn't appreciate having so few sexy ladies along the manly men so she had to concentrate all the sexiness into one character.

We were talking about Farangese here, not Arslan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Arslan isn't sexy

he's cute

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!

Kyte posted:

I assume Arakawa didn't appreciate having so few sexy ladies along the manly men so she had to concentrate all the sexiness into one character.

It's hard to take someone fighting in a bikini and loin cloth seriously.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Farangis dressing like an exotic dancer is kind of weird, but I imagine the logic is that since she's ostensibly the magical one out of the main cast, and also arguably the most well-rounded in terms of competence, that she can basically do whatever the hell she wants and will put an arrow between the eyes of anyone who doesn't like it.

I mean she said it herself, the other Mithran priestesses hated her because she was the smartest, sexiest, and best at fighting :allears:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

It's hard to take someone fighting in a bikini and loin cloth seriously.

That didn't stop Conan's enemies from getting hosed up

Amarie
Mar 24, 2004

I want you to meet my little friend, Mister Stabby!

OnimaruXLR posted:

Farangis dressing like an exotic dancer is kind of weird, but I imagine the logic is that since she's ostensibly the magical one out of the main cast, and also arguably the most well-rounded in terms of competence, that she can basically do whatever the hell she wants and will put an arrow between the eyes of anyone who doesn't like it.

I mean she said it herself, the other Mithran priestesses hated her because she was the smartest, sexiest, and best at fighting :allears:

I suppose you're right. But I liked the original OAV paladin look better. Though that getup must get pretty drafty. Not to mention she must use magic to keep it from slipping. There are perks to her profession.

Regarding Etoile I know its been revealed but I'm tagging it nontheless just in case for those who haven't heard the whole thing she's a girl in the novel (real name Esther) so I'm pretty sure that will stay canon.

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Razzled posted:

That didn't stop Conan's enemies from getting hosed up

Conan wore armor.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

Conan wore armor.

Not frequently

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

Conan wore armor.

armor of muscles

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
And thus the boy would be King.

S2 when?

Also Girl who dresses up as a male knight X effeminate looking boy King OTP

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Still no fanart of them kissing. :smith:

e: Oh my, Arakawa drew a very effeminate Arslan. :stare:

I like that Etoile has come around a bit to Arslan and isn't going to be blindly hating him for like half of next season.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Okay, I've come to the conclusion that this show excels in slow, character building moments. That was a good scene between Arslan and Etoile, which exemplified all the strengths of his character.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I stopped watching this about half through, is it worth catching up on?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I think it is. We're finally facing off against some badass foes, and Arslan becomes someone you can genuinely root for.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
And we're not even at the end of novel 4 out of 15(?) and there's also a crapton of stuff that's been omitted since it's not relevant to anything up to this point.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Xelkelvos posted:

And we're not even at the end of novel 4 out of 15(?) and there's also a crapton of stuff that's been omitted since it's not relevant to anything up to this point.

Now I'm thinking of Twelve Kingdoms and I'm worried :ohdear:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i looked up some stuff about the show earlier and apparently several major characters who were supposed to appear earlier where totally skipped: a blind princess (from the fake christian kingdom i guess) and a male archer

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

Now I'm thinking of Twelve Kingdoms and I'm worried :ohdear:

If an S2 is made, it'll probably not be too hard to fold them back in. Again, they were cut because they hadn't interacted with the main plotline as of yet so depending on where the director projects the end of S2, those other plots will get picked up in parallel with the main story or seen as flashbacks before it joins up.

They need to get Arakawa back to storyboarding the series in between doing the manga though since the individual fights seemed to have more punch then. The source material isn't even finished yet, though, so it might be a bit for an S2 or S3 to appear.

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Of course Arnie didn't wear armor in the movie; he was a professional body builder and the whole point was to show off his physique.

Same with the Conan art by Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell...both were body builders in their free time and wanted to showcase the human body.

In the actual Conan stories, he wore armor every chance he got.

Anyway, armored up paladin Farangis just plain looks cooler than stupid battle bikini Farangis.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Eeeeh her armour looks weird and really stands out in the context of the current Arslan's much more reasonable and functional armour. If she wore armour fitting to the current setting I would obviously prefer that.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
tiddy haters get out

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
So long as they don't ultimately pull a Guin Saga on us, which Twelve Kingdoms is essentially shade of from what I've heard(also a good anime I enjoyed way back when), all will hopefully be well.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

quote:

Guin Saga (グイン・サーガ Guin Sāga?) is a best-selling heroic fantasy novel series by the Japanese author Kaoru Kurimoto, in continuous publication since 1979. A record 100 volumes were originally planned,[1] but the final total stands at 130 volumes, the last four published posthumously, with 21 side-story novels.
:eyepop:

So I assume the manga and anime adaptations of this are awful?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I assumed it was completed, but now there's a different author working on it.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
These last couple of episodes made up for all the draggy parts before. I am incredibly pumped for season 2. In a lot of ways it feels like this whole season was laying the groundwork for the real story, which we only just started in the last arc. It might not be for a while, but there had better be a second season!

Viola the Mad fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 30, 2015

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

:eyepop:

So I assume the manga and anime adaptations of this are awful?

The anime at least had a lot of stuff going for it in terms of spectacle, at times, but ultimately finished out poorly in terms of a stopping point in terms of what episodes we got for future seasons that, quite possibly, will never come. Nowhere near as much of a "Ha ha, ya'll suck, go get books" as the infamous tail end of the anime for Groove Adventure RAVE---but yeah. No idea what the current state of any sort of manga tied to it might be.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Doesn't this show air in a normie timeslot, and isn't it extremely popular?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

a comedy ova is coming

The Honya Club retailer is listing that Arakawa is supervising the "original DVD," which will feature "another comedy story" that takes place in the middle of the war. In the story, Gieve gives Arslan a love lesson, and the romances of Daryun, Narsus, and "that hero" are also revealed.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

also season 2 in 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Didn't expect confirmation of that so soon, maybe I'll have caught up by then

• Locked thread