Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pewdiepie posted:

What day of the week does this come out?

Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Spergin about history is totally cool in this thread and actively encouraged, in fact.

That's good to hear. I'll probably make a couple of history posts as the show goes on, but others better chime in, too.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Viola the Mad posted:

That's good to hear. I'll probably make a couple of history posts as the show goes on, but others better chime in, too.

I will strive to unleash my inner history nerd. He usually sleeps pretty close to the surface.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I look forward to learning just how dubious the history is in Pretty Prince Adventures.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Million Ghosts posted:

I look forward to learning just how dubious the history is in Pretty Prince Adventures.

Even as a non history buff, Arslan seems pretty legit with the historical accuracy. Obviously it's not trying to be totally accurate since it's a fantasy world at the end of the day, but it certainly wears its influences on its sleeves.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The best part of historical drama is getting into the mindset of people whose assumptions and standards are alien to modern readers/viewers. In loosely-historical fantasy, that accuracy doesn't really matter, but the inspiration for what they're doing is still cool and informative.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Interesting how much more detail this anime is going into versus the OAV, at this rate it's going to be 6 or 7 episodes to cover just the first one. This is a good thing since they were ever a Cliff Notes version, I don't think there was any perspective from the Lusitinian side other than stuff with Silvermask. The causality report was very LotGH too.
Disappointed Elam doesn't look 100% like a girl any more though. :v:
Though the OP is kind of meh still, I love the ED, very 90's and reminded me of some of the stuff from Magic Knight Rayearth or similar.

Silvermask versus Daryun's uncle was pretty :black101: too.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

I saw the old Arslan OVA before I even knew what anime was and I thought it was pretty rad, although I've been avoiding rewatching it like the plague. I Just got up to date with the Arakawa manga and it's really good, so I'm very likely going to watch this as well.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Show still good, Daryun still badass, Arslan still moe.

Vahriz dies like a badass, too.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Million Ghosts posted:

Show still good, Daryun still badass, Arslan still moe.

Vahriz dies like a badass, too.

Ya holy poo poo, I was expecting some kind of a last stand but that was just impressive. Some Malazan poo poo right there.

Also, I couldn't help but laugh because the Lusitanian horse looked so loving pissed when Daryun sat on it.

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010
Is there a specific time episodes come out on the hulu funimation channel?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

is there any chance this show will have a satisfying end? ie: a logical place for the anime to end. like every ongoing drama i've started ever has had an unsatisfying end

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Davincie posted:

is there any chance this show will have a satisfying end? ie: a logical place for the anime to end. like every ongoing drama i've started ever has had an unsatisfying end

The manga adaption is not finished but the books were written a long time ago and there's been word that Arakawa is doing character designs for people who haven't showed up in the manga yet. As far as I know they can finish the story if they want. No idea how long it is, though.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It'll have some kind of unique ending no matter what. The books are still ongoing after all this time.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Razzled posted:

Ya holy poo poo, I was expecting some kind of a last stand but that was just impressive. Some Malazan poo poo right there.

Also, I couldn't help but laugh because the Lusitanian horse looked so loving pissed when Daryun sat on it.

All the horses look pissed. Everyone looks furious (except Arslan). This is a world full of angry, angry people.

Personally, I'm hoping the show reaches a good stopping point in the novels rather than creating a new ending. There's fourteen novels out so far, so there's no way they're going to finish the story in one season. How many cours have been ordered? One or two?

Side note--one of the phrases the Lusitanians use to refer to Daryun, mardan fu mardan, looks like mangled Farsi for "a man amongst men." My Farsi's pretty rusty, but I think the phrase would be something like mard-e mardam (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). . Each episode just makes me more and more pumped for this show. They did their research. They did their loving research.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Viola the Mad posted:

All the horses look pissed. Everyone looks furious (except Arslan). This is a world full of angry, angry people.

Personally, I'm hoping the show reaches a good stopping point in the novels rather than creating a new ending. There's fourteen novels out so far, so there's no way they're going to finish the story in one season. How many cours have been ordered? One or two?

Side note--one of the phrases the Lusitanians use to refer to Daryun, mardan fu mardan, looks like mangled Farsi for "a man amongst men." My Farsi's pretty rusty, but I think the phrase would be something like mard-e mardam (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). . Each episode just makes me more and more pumped for this show. They did their research. They did their loving research.

Two cours, iirc.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I think 25 episodes is confirmed. The mardan fu mardan thing worked very well for me, seeing as Daryun really is the best of the best

Previews also make the next episode look great.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Nice Nausicaa moves there.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Good stuff. I feel like this episode could have been done in half the time with little of value lost, but that's a small complaint.

Also, since Richard isn't here to do it,

:mrgw:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
The question "Does he resemble his father or his mother?" Had me thinking "Neither?" Because without some sort of explanatory backstory they both seem like asshats and its probably fortunate Arslan turned out to be such a well adjusted person whose surprisingly badass in a pinch.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
e: Wrong thread. Damnit.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pretty sure they just meant physically and were possibly questioning his legitimacy.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

He's legitimately adorable!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Raenir Salazar posted:

The question "Does he resemble his father or his mother?" Had me thinking "Neither?" Because without some sort of explanatory backstory they both seem like asshats and its probably fortunate Arslan turned out to be such a well adjusted person whose surprisingly badass in a pinch.

He was asking about physical resemblance. Did you see the long, flowing white locks on Narsus' head at the end? Narsus who has been exiled from court? Also note the cold attitude of the Queen towards her husband and the King's vile temper whenever Arslan is around? It's pretty easy to connect the dots and see why Vahriz asked that question and asked Daryun to have personal loyalty to Arslan.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

He was asking about physical resemblance. Did you see the long, flowing white locks on Narsus' head at the end? Narsus who has been exiled from court? Also note the cold attitude of the Queen towards her husband and the King's vile temper whenever Arslan is around? It's pretty easy to connect the dots and see why Vahriz asked that question and asked Daryun to have personal loyalty to Arslan.

Oh wow, we're in some real Game of Thrones territory here.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Good stuff. I feel like this episode could have been done in half the time with little of value lost, but that's a small complaint.

Also, since Richard isn't here to do it,

:mrgw:

Whoa nelly.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Maybe it's rose colored glasses for some of you folks but the original Arslan OVA (which I saw in the last year, unrelated to the new project by Hirokawa) was pretty bad. The animation starts fairly strong but dies, and the story goes nowhere - obviously because it's a long novel series. This seems decent though, I hope there's an Armstrong face character

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I will be surprised if this is not true.

Another great episode, and I can't wait for the real adventuring to start.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This adaptation is doing a good job of making all the main characters seem like stone cold badasses. Albeit fairly foppish ones sometimes.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
And thus, the boy would gather a man-harem.

I wonder when he's going to grow a mustache?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I love pretty much everything about this episode.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The Devil Tesla posted:

I love pretty much everything about this episode.

I didn't, we never got to see Narsus's art. Huge loving tease of an episode, I swear.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think Arslan's reaction was enough. Like whatever they did show wouldn't live up to what I imagined.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I imagined something like Chinatsu's art from Yuru Yuri.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 27, 2015

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
"Mountain Hermit who is a bad rear end strategist" seems like a surprisingly common trope in history. Hideyoshi recruited the exact same sort of person to help him out right?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Zhuge Liang agrees.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And the Liberation Army from Suikoden. :v:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

Zhuge Liang agrees.

When Narsus mentioned that the Lusitanians must also have the help of a cunning man, I said "So who is he, this 'Zhuge Liang'?"

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Sakurazuka posted:

And the Liberation Army from Suikoden. :v:

Shu is the true Suiko strategist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gieve once again proving that bards are the best class in everything.

• Locked thread