Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Who else checked the OP and ED to make sure this new character wasn't the Silver-masked General sent on an infiltration mission into Ectabana?

(I'm naturally paranoid okay)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
one day they shall hang a haruhi dakimura in the louvre

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
RIP a dozen characters with their own designs.

Also, contrasting this with Legend of the Galactic Heroes, it really seems like a step back of sorts. Arslan asks "what makes a good king?" LoGH asks "is a king even worth having?" Of course, they tell different stories with different settings (this story lacks the communication technology to support a representative democracy), so I am being a little unfair.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

PRAISE MISRA

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
This is some Yang Wenli poo poo.

Also, Gadevi's man on the inside really should have worn some less conspicuous clothing.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
This is a contrast to LoGH, which went "be really loving careful if you're invading another nation or intervening in their domestic affairs, 'cause you could get burnt pretty bad". Especially if your army is tiny.

But somehow Arslan is getting away with it. And that's because having Narsus is loving cheating, he's even more bullshit than Yang. Jesus, how did Narsus manage to march and infiltrate a team of ballistas one hundred loving miles without being detected by the enemy and without pre-scouting the battlefield? That's Creed-level bullshit. And did the Parsians even have ballistae technology? Ectabana didn't have ballistae, it they had trebuchets, a weapon ill-suited for tearing apart infantry formations. Ballistae are complex fiddly as gently caress, with massive forces stressed upon their designs. They can't have been jury-rigged on the march. gently caress up the material in a ballista, and it explodes into a shower of shrapnel and maims everyone around it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

isme posted:

I am still trying to wrap my mind whether the ballistas was more ridiculous or Lu Bu leaping on top of the elephant or Jasmant's horse doing the same stunt.

i dont mind daryun hopping on top of an elephant because he can be as bullshit as he likes in person

the ballista are pushing it though, it would be like narsus suddenly turning up in a clockwork spider bot

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

korrandark posted:

No one is more bullshit than Yang.

Yang is only slightly bullshit. The most egregious example was him somehow reading Reinhardt's mind in S1 and seeing through his strategic scheme. Other than that, he was pretty grounded: Yang's talents lay in attracting lots of other very talented people to do his dirty work. Yang needed Dusty and Alex and Murai and Freddy and Merk. Other than that, he couldn't do much but plot. Yang is good at strategy, really good at tactics, but can't fight worth a drat in person.

They kind of split Yang in two, where Arslan inherited Yang's idealism, and Narsus inherited Yang's scheming. But somehow that made the characterisation weaker: Arslan lacks the talent to back up his ideals, and Narsus lacks the idealism to temper his ability to bend the world to his will.

Daryun is basically Schnenkopp, but nowhere near as sexy and cool.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Well part of Schenkopp fused with Poplan in order to form Gieve. Schenkopp is too dignified to simply be Gieve.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Davincie posted:

rip to the only non-evil grand vizier in media ever

Oberstein wasn't evil either, he was just infinitely and deliberately less charismatic

Also, the preview seems to have Rajendra betray Arslan. Well, we first met the guy when he loving invaded us, and he hasn't been the most helpful. Remind me again why the gently caress they were off gallivanting around in Notindia again? And why the gently caress Narsus didn't veto this foolish trip again?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Well I guess looked at it as a limited campaign to secure the eastern front for 3 years, this arc worked out okay. The show finally acknowledged the silliness of entrusting yourself to someone who loving invaded you a few episodes ago. And because of Narsus' magic, I don't think Pars lost many soldiers, and all of Kishward's troops can be diverted west towards the centre.

I'm glad we're getting more Hermes. I like evil Reinhardt, he's genuinely scary and competent, whereas Rajendra was never more than a joke. Hermes is a combination of Daryun + Narsus + mirror universe Arslan, which means he can cover all of team Arslan's bases.

My favourite thing about Hermes is how incredibly worked up he gets when he starts fighting, he starts ravening and chewing up the scenery twice as hard as Daryun.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Viola the Mad posted:

And that's why LoGH is a better story. Arslan Senki isn't interested in asking questions, it's interested in :hist101:RAD ADVENTURE:hist101:. Maybe after Arslan gets a chance to govern we'll see a change, but for now we're watching the player characters harem go on a noble quest to save Pars. And I'm fine with that, because it gives me something fun and relaxing to watch every week. LoGH is thought-provoking, but it's also killing my faith in democracy in conjunction with the Republican primaries. :negative:

On that note, this episode was pretty disappointing; I signed up for awesome battles and Arslan Senki consigned them all to exposition. And for all the excuses I make for the show, I'm getting sick of Narsus being the answer to everything. It's past time for Arslan to step up and start contributing substance beyond adorable smiles. :hist101:RAD ADVENTURE:hist101: does not excuse a lack of character development or a single godlike character. Overall I enjoyed this arc, but Arlsan best get his act together in the next one

Yeah, Arslan is a Nice Person, but he doesn't have the same competence and magnetism as Yang. Yang might not be able to swing an axe or shoot a laser pistol to save his life, but he could lead fleets of ships and analyse political situations.

All Arslan has going for him is potential. Perhaps a better comparison for Arslan is Julian, but Julian could manage a household at Arslan's age. And a few years later, Julian was piloting fighters and commanding battleships and dropkicking people in the face and boarding ships whilst clad in powered armour.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Hermes loving owns, every time talks, there's an angry growl behind every word, like he can barely repress himself from loving killing everyone around him.

Arslan needs a real foil that can oppose him. And in team Hermes, Sam and Kubard have that glowering sexual charisma coming off them in spades, and that is lacking in the relatively sterile Narsus and Daryun.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I liked last episode because Hermes is a badass, and I liked this episode even more because got to take stock of just who Arslan is, what he stands for, and what he believes in.

Also Ettie is awful at spying. Well, she's good at the theory of spying, but really bad at it in practice. Also, Arslan would have noticed the sword callouses on her hand.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Farangis' tiddies have always been a bit silly.

A good episode. The nuns on the tower scene at the end was really uncomfortable. And also realistic, this thing has has happened before. And it goes to show that even when fighting with the best of intentions, in a just war, people who don't deserve it will suffer.

Also I liked Hermes' fight with Daryun. But I've always liked Hermes and how he starts screeching and raging and making gutteral growls in the middle of combat.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Okay, I've come to the conclusion that this show excels in slow, character building moments. That was a good scene between Arslan and Etoile, which exemplified all the strengths of his character.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I think it is. We're finally facing off against some badass foes, and Arslan becomes someone you can genuinely root for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Doesn't this show air in a normie timeslot, and isn't it extremely popular?

• Locked thread