Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Regarding the setting and the cultures it uses for inspiration, it's likely that the Lusitanians are based on the Latin Crusaders, as opposed to the Byzantine Empire. In the manga, it's mentioned that Maryam, Pars's ally, also follows the cult of Yaldabaoth. However, they follow a different branch of the cult, so the Lusitanians view them as heretics. The eastern civilizations certainly viewed the Crusaders as barbaric religious fanatics (with some justification), much as the Parsians view the Lusitanians. Arslan Senki doesn't look like it's going to draw heavily on the Crusades and the craziness it unleashed, but it's still an interesting note.

Something else worth pointing out: the Sage-king Jamshid and Kay Khosrow that the Parsian generals invoke are characters from one of the most famous Persian epics, the Shahnamah. Jamshid is the fourth and greatest of the primordial kings, who brings civilization to the world. Kay Khosrow is part of the mythological dynasty that takes up most of the first half of the poem.

I hope you folks don't mind me sperging over these minor details here, but I've got a soft spot for Persian culture, so it's a delight to find a show where the creators did their research. Arlsan Senki combines pretty much everything I like into one big bundle and I am all kinds of pumped for this show.

Viola the Mad fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Spergin about history is totally cool in this thread and actively encouraged, in fact.

That's good to hear. I'll probably make a couple of history posts as the show goes on, but others better chime in, too.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Razzled posted:

Ya holy poo poo, I was expecting some kind of a last stand but that was just impressive. Some Malazan poo poo right there.

Also, I couldn't help but laugh because the Lusitanian horse looked so loving pissed when Daryun sat on it.

All the horses look pissed. Everyone looks furious (except Arslan). This is a world full of angry, angry people.

Personally, I'm hoping the show reaches a good stopping point in the novels rather than creating a new ending. There's fourteen novels out so far, so there's no way they're going to finish the story in one season. How many cours have been ordered? One or two?

Side note--one of the phrases the Lusitanians use to refer to Daryun, mardan fu mardan, looks like mangled Farsi for "a man amongst men." My Farsi's pretty rusty, but I think the phrase would be something like mard-e mardam (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). . Each episode just makes me more and more pumped for this show. They did their research. They did their loving research.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
I was looking forward to this part and it was even better than I expected. RIP Shapur, a Real Parsian Hero. :911:.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Yang is only slightly bullshit. The most egregious example was him somehow reading Reinhardt's mind in S1 and seeing through his strategic scheme. Other than that, he was pretty grounded: Yang's talents lay in attracting lots of other very talented people to do his dirty work. Yang needed Dusty and Alex and Murai and Freddy and Merk. Other than that, he couldn't do much but plot. Yang is good at strategy, really good at tactics, but can't fight worth a drat in person.

They kind of split Yang in two, where Arslan inherited Yang's idealism, and Narsus inherited Yang's scheming. But somehow that made the characterisation weaker: Arslan lacks the talent to back up his ideals, and Narsus lacks the idealism to temper his ability to bend the world to his will.

Daryun is basically Schnenkopp, but nowhere near as sexy and cool.

You shut your mouth, Daryun is the sexiest and the coolest. :syoon:

I realized this episode that it's rather pointless to compare LoGH to Arslan. Their approaches to storytelling are just too different.

I had a conversation with my boyfriend a while back where I argued that LoGH isn't a space opera so much as a political/philosophical drama that takes place in the far future. You could take the core concepts and characters and set them in a different era, and preserve the soul of the story. Arguably, that's one of the points of the show--in every time, in every place, the deeds of man remain the same.

Arslan Senki, on the other hand, is very grounded in the fantasy/adventure genre it comes from. A lot of the characters and set pieces are typical of the genre. The loyal, heroic knight? Check. Dispossessed prince? Check. Awesome duels? Check. Evil, uncomplicated villains? Check. You could open all sorts of fantasy books and find the same archetypes. I haven't read the books, so I don't know if this applies to them, too.

For all that, I still think Arslan Senki is still a good, fun show. I like the characters, the plot interests me, and I'm impressed with the level of research that has gone into the story. But at the end of the day it's a quality fantasy-adventure. It's not as good as LoGH, but hey, nothing is.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Arslan Senki is kinda like Shakespeare imho.

I tried to get a previous roommate to watch LoGH, he's a Babylon 5 fan so I figured he'd like it. Sadly not, he didn't like the lack of build up to the opening battle.

Hence previous roommate. :D

You made the right choice.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Kegslayer posted:

I agree with this but I think the main difference between the shows is that LOGH asks a question while Arslan just presents an answer.

In LOGH we have people on both sides of the argument who are capable of showing the benefits and flaws of each system of government but in Arslan, he and Narsus just bullshit their way through any problem caused by Arslan's naivete.

I have no idea how the story is going to go but it would be more comparable to LOGH if we see Arslan's ideas backfire or if we have an alternative viewpoint of a kingdom ruled by an authoritative despot but where its citizens, including the slaves, have peace and a higher standard of living than a 'free Pars'.

And that's why LoGH is a better story. Arslan Senki isn't interested in asking questions, it's interested in :hist101:RAD ADVENTURE:hist101:. Maybe after Arslan gets a chance to govern we'll see a change, but for now we're watching the player characters harem go on a noble quest to save Pars. And I'm fine with that, because it gives me something fun and relaxing to watch every week. LoGH is thought-provoking, but it's also killing my faith in democracy in conjunction with the Republican primaries. :negative:

On that note, this episode was pretty disappointing; I signed up for awesome battles and Arslan Senki consigned them all to exposition. And for all the excuses I make for the show, I'm getting sick of Narsus being the answer to everything. It's past time for Arslan to step up and start contributing substance beyond adorable smiles. :hist101:RAD ADVENTURE:hist101: does not excuse a lack of character development or a single godlike character. Overall I enjoyed this arc, but Arlsan best get his act together in the next one

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Eh, Arslan can't really afford to execute or isolate those guys, but charging heedlessly forward is a good way to gently caress up the army's formation and getting people impetuously killed. I feel like he should have reprimanded them at the very least, but that isn't the style of Arlsan the Moe.

This show may be a fantasy adventure, but Tanaka still takes time to bash aristocracy. Love it.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Now THAT was a good episode. Everything is finally coming to a head at last and Arlsan is finally stepping into his role as king. Can't wait till next week.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Holy poo poo that got intense. That ending scene with the Lusitanian ladies makes me think of the time I had to read the Mainz Anonymous in high school. Hit me pretty hard. :stonk:

grrarg posted:

Farangis using the power of righteous baps to throw off the enemy archers' aim was my favorite part of the episode. I am glad there are at least one or two more episodes. I thought this was going to be the final episode. I was waiting for a "second season production confirmed" blurb after the ED and was surprised by the preview.

Actually, this was the only bad part of the episode in my opinion. Maybe it would have worked better if she had visibly used magic, but as it was it seemed she had +5 Plot Armor. It made me think of a completely different historical document--the point in the Baburnamah where Babur mocks a noble who believed some sycophantic imams and believed he was blessed with invulnerability. The guy died pretty quickly.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

The least they could've done was put in some wind effects

This, in a nutshell. There needs to be something to show that this is supernatural, though it doesn't have to be flashy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
These last couple of episodes made up for all the draggy parts before. I am incredibly pumped for season 2. In a lot of ways it feels like this whole season was laying the groundwork for the real story, which we only just started in the last arc. It might not be for a while, but there had better be a second season!

Viola the Mad fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 30, 2015

• Locked thread