Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Heroic Legend of Arslan began as a series of books by Legend of the Galactic Heroes author Yoshiki Tanaka, though it has had manga and anime adaptations before, a new TV series has started this season based on Hiromu Arakawa's (Fullmetal Alchemist, Silver Spoon) manga which started in 2013. Tanaka has always had a huge interest in Chinese history and Arslan is very much in the mould of Romance of the Three Kingdoms only set in a low fantasy world (no elves or dwarves, very little magic), although a lot of the detail in Arslan is actually of Persian origin, including names and measurements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjbF1mE744g

Characters (some of these are going to be a bit vague because they haven't appeared in the anime yet):

Arslan

VA:Yūsuke Kobayashi
Crown Prince of the Kingdom of Pars, a gentle young man who is always attempting, and somewhat failing, to live up to his fathers expectations. In the first episode he rescues a slave and and has his worldview on the necessity of slavery questioned. Turns out to be unexpectedly deadly with a sword.

Daryun

VA:Yoshimasa Hosoya
An excellent swordsman who is sworn to protect the Prince at any cost by his Uncle. One of the Marzbāns (basically a general) in the Parsian army, he is eager to speak his mind even at the risk of angering the king.

Narsus

VA:Daisuke Namikawa
Formerly a retainer to the King of Pars, now a hermit due to a disagreement with the king over the kingdoms policy on slavery.

Elam

VA:Natsuki Hanae
Child of a slave freed by Narsus and now his servant.

Gieve

VA:Kenn
A wandering bard who is more than he appears.

Farangis

VA:Maaya Sakamoto
A Priestess who is excellent with a bow and uses the closest Arslan has to magic.

The first episode was kind of slow and basic world building plus Arslan's character, the second episode goes full on with the plot and is pretty :black101: probably one of the best TV anime battle scenes I've seen and suitably brutal.
Pretty much anyone who is a fan of RotTK or Suikoden should give it a go.

Fun fact: The UK version of the original Arslan OAV was renamed to 'Arislan' because it sounded a bit too much like 'arse'.

Forgot to mention how :swoon: everyone looks, if you like bishounen (and apparently women with huge boobs) this show is for you as well.

Show is streaming on Funimation on Sunday in the US and Viewster whenever they get around to it in the UK.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Is it out yet? I didn't saw the original OVA and novel but I'm reading the Arakawa manga and it looks p good. The bad guys are Byzantine in inspiration, right?

First two ep's should be up on Funi now. Don't know enough history to compare them but I liked that the enemy empire is set up to look almost progressive compared to Pars, if you ignore the whole religious zealots thing. :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Think I'm gonna watch the old OVA's today, I haven't seen them in years and I remember the super-posh British accents they dubbed everyone with being hilarious.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Spergin about history is totally cool in this thread and actively encouraged, in fact.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pewdiepie posted:

What day of the week does this come out?

Sunday.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Interesting how much more detail this anime is going into versus the OAV, at this rate it's going to be 6 or 7 episodes to cover just the first one. This is a good thing since they were ever a Cliff Notes version, I don't think there was any perspective from the Lusitinian side other than stuff with Silvermask. The causality report was very LotGH too.
Disappointed Elam doesn't look 100% like a girl any more though. :v:
Though the OP is kind of meh still, I love the ED, very 90's and reminded me of some of the stuff from Magic Knight Rayearth or similar.

Silvermask versus Daryun's uncle was pretty :black101: too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pretty sure they just meant physically and were possibly questioning his legitimacy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This adaptation is doing a good job of making all the main characters seem like stone cold badasses. Albeit fairly foppish ones sometimes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And the Liberation Army from Suikoden. :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gieve once again proving that bards are the best class in everything.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I agree and it's probably my second favourite show of the season after My Love Story, unfortunately a character driven low fantasy series very loosely based on Persian history is probably a hard sell for people. It also isn't helped by having a previous adaptation that was very dry and and didn't even try to do anything to humanise the characters like this is.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hmmm, does it count as a reverse harem if the main character is a dude too?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Maybe I should have put a pun in the thread title....

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

To put in in perspective, we'll probably be getting to the end of what's covered in the first book/OVA by about episode 8, give or take. The first OVA is 50 minutes long.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Holy poo poo, Arslan Musou!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-05-07/heroic-legend-of-arslan-manga-gets-musou-game-for-ps4-ps3/.87906

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gieve's rear end in a top hat Adventures

The fights in this are great when they're not *sword clashing sounds* over a panning background.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a very deliberately paced show (trying to avoid the word slow there, it's not really, but) which doesn't really have instant appeal and the first episode, while entertaining enough, gives very little indication of its eventual direction and makes it all to easy to assume that it would just be moe prince's fun time adventures. And it's also possible that people have been burned on the previous adaptation.

Also there's babes as soon as our final main character makes her appearance (probably) next episode.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nondevor posted:

How dreamy is the reverse harem in comparison to Hak and co.?

Pretty dreamy but nothing's gonna happen outside of fanfics since it's all guys. Well, mostly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Arslan is now part of Funimations simuldub thing. Unfortunately I a) can't watch Funi's stuff and b) have no interest in dub's, so someone else will have to see if it's any good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Takehito Koyasu out of nowhere.

I can definitely see Arakawa's influence on this in more than just the character designs, Gieve's sparkles literally falling out of the sky as Farangis puts him in his place followed by mass villager slaughter.

On the other hand the Elam dressed at a girl bit was completely played for laughs in the OVA version.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Why no episode yet? :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Whoops, yeah, Viewster (the UK steaming site that shows Arslan) still hasn't put it up yet and I forgot they're actually even more poo poo than Funi.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kind of an important scene to leave for after the credits but oh well. :v:

Gieve's sparkly aura getting blasted by Farangis withering stare is still the best visual gag.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, they're going to be following the books once they run out of manga, Arakawa has said she's designed characters for the anime that haven't appeared in the manga yet.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Some of the comedic stuff at the start of this episode felt a bit tone deaf, though I guess that's Arakawa's 'thing', but Narsus getting caremad about Mask calling him :mediocre: was great.

Razzled posted:

Is it just a coincidence that Mask man looks like Gieve?

I think so, it's just that one pretty boy tends to run into another after awhile.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

He's also more than likely to end up in the wrong side of a poison dagger for not being a true believer sometime soon.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ugh, there's nothing worse than a born again Yoababoathist

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hestia not bestia.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, Tanaka's books are always sausage-fests, I think Farangis is probably the most prominent female character in any of them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's a scene after the credits again in this weeks episode

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rodyle posted:

Well it's just going to take from the novels instead,it's not a big deal.

I think a lot of the characters humanising touches are from Arakawa's manga though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Arakawa's a popular mangaka and the books are considered 'classics' so I guess the publishers wanted to strike while the iron was hot. Especially with a Musou game out later this year, which I think are still super popular in Japan (at least as popular as any game not on mobile gets).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I would but 99% of Musou games get a western release anyway so I'll wait.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Oh, does the manga give her creative control over plot/dialogue stuff as well? This show kept surprising me with how much more engaging and personable it was than Legend of Galactic Heroes, but I assumed it was just pacing and the smaller cast at work. If Arakawa's actually involved on a writing level that explains it better (but now I'm worried about what will happen afterwards.)

I'm only really going by the differences between this and earlier adaptations since, as far as I'm aware, the books have never been translated.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same, the second ED coming up soon is by Kalafina so I will likely be doing the same with that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tsundere Elam. :swoon:

But yeah, the fights were pretty bad this ep and there were a lot of derp faces in the background, hopefully it's just a one off.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

anime

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Only just got around to watching last weeks episode, on one hand I agree that the fights were still a little lacklustre this episode, on the other there were a lot more than usual (practically the whole episode), Daryun going all Musou owned and it was still a lot better than episode 11. I'm okay if it carries on this way.

Also I liked Alfreed but a lot of people going to get mad if that was setting her up as being a love interest for Narsus.

I guess episode 13 is late? I've seen raws but no subs so far.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Did they change the OP/ED yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Haha I was not expecting it go quite as silly as Narsus using his terrible painting in battle though I suppose I should have.
Unfortunately Omega Force doesn't have a great track record with first games in a new anime franchise.

• Locked thread