Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Serp

It wasn't easy to get hold of the organs from a fallen marine, but he did it. Serp keeps them hot over the small fire he made in the trash can, roasting the harvested progenoid glands. It's said that they have the best effect if the one they're cut from can see you cook and eat them but there was no time for that. The sniper bites the meat off the end of his knife and chews with relish. Within moments the fire burns hot in his gut. The heat spreads throughout his entire body and soon his head is engulfed with it. It takes all of his will to keep from thrashing about with the pain but he endures. The sweetmeats make his body whole again, whole enough to leave the room and the bloodied towels and join the company in the... well, lounge is probably the best term for it.

He moves about and sets himself up as close to the rest as possible before stripping his weapon and beginning to clean it. If they need a marksman, they'll be in luck. Anyone who can outshoot and outrun a Warp Talon will be in high demand. Serp keeps an eye on the bloodbride. She's supposed to stay alive, and he intends to see to it that she does. Better if he can work from the inside to protect her.

Vicissitude fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010

Dolor Atheir

If he is offended by the plague marine, he shows no signs of it. He has coffee and a selection of fruits in a bowl, and settles across from the Death Guard, "Your memory is not so bad, Ciphrian. I trust that the accommodations are to your liking? Also if I am not mistaken you had a rather good seat at the show yesterday.."

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Victoria, currently sticky
Currently Peer (2) for: Ork band, Ghibelline audience

"Ah-hahahahaha ack ptghpthtptp-TOO" she spits out and unidentifiable piece of ork tissue and wipes the gore out of her hair the best she can. "Quite the pleasure to meet you gentz. Boyz, behave yourselves and pick over this place. We ain't done yet." Later, after she finds a place to shower (etiquette suggested not leaving bloody power armored bootprints in the front door of a 5 star hotel, but eh, gently caress 'em.) Victoria cleans her gear and washes her...hand. A while later she emerges wearing some kind of armored tacticool dress thing and approaches the astartes. "Hello again, I don't think we've properly been introduced outside of that grandstanding out there." She looks for a piece of food that looks like it didn't come from a sapient's body, not out of moral objections but because that was so tediously slaaneshi.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 17, 2015

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Ciphrian the Inevitable

Ciphrian slams the moldering tome shut and reattaches it and the pen to a chain at his belt.

"Ah, good to see my memory holding out. It, like everything else, decays a little more every day. My accommodations are most excellent, thank you. And indeed, I had quite a view of your exploits alongside, er, Julian if I recall his name correctly. I felt it would be rude to steal the show by wading in, and besides, it was half-over by the time I arrived. I was actually just writing my kill-tally, and..."

Ciphrian shifts slightly to look past Dolor.

"Why, here comes the mortal who leads orks now! I was just about to ask our mutual acquaintance here about you, little one, and I must say, I am most impressed by your prowess. I am Ciphrian. Please, take a seat."

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Julius Dominatus, Fallen Blood Angel

As the orks rush out of the ruins towards Julius, he can't help but give forth a yawn. Killing orks was always so tedious. Still, violence for Slaanesh is violence for Slaanesh. The Blood Angel takes a deep breath and squeezes the trigger on his heavy bolter and begins to rake it back and forth across the lines of charging greenskins. As the first round detonates in a greenskin, causing a sickly squelch Julius could almost hear from here, he lets a short and simple prayer to the Prince of Pleasure escape his lips, one he has said ten thousand times on just as many battlefields:

"Slaanesh, I give you this cacophony, and in return I ask for the serenity of mind to enable me to offer you a thousand more such displays."

As the bolter begins to cycle up and spew more bolter shells, Julius almost immediately gets lost in the sound of battle. The rumble of the bolter in his hands acts as a driving bass line only he can feel, accented by the rain-like tinkling of ejected shells bouncing on the building roof around him. The thunking of each round's minimal primer expelling the bolt shell from the weapon is a steady drumbeat rhythm.

At only three minutes in length, the music of battle created by Julius is more pop song than symphony, but the result is always the same. As the last of the greenskins falls and Julius finally removes his finger from the trigger, he finds himself in a serene clarity. It is only during these times after combat that Ten thousand years of sin and damnation submerge below his conscious mind and Julius has a brief moment of peace. Though like all things Slaaneshi, the reprieve is brief, and by the time the Thunderhawk picks them up, the sight of his brothers killed by his hand flutter at the edge of his vision. He boards the Thunderhawk and spends the brief time in his room at the hotel cleaning his weapon and armor after the day's fighting.

The next morning Julius heads down to the dining room. "Julius actually," he says to the back of the plague marine before sitting down. Unlike the other marines, Julius has not put his armor on yet. He is covered in the humble waist-cloth that loyalist astartes typically wear, though this one is a bright green with pink squares. He sits down at the table, a tray piled with bacon and toast in one hand. The Marine without his armor is a sight to be seen. His torso and back are covered with tattoos of individual names, like some living memorial wall.

He picks up a piece of toast and puts it in his mouth, his loud chewing contrasting with the ecstatic face Slaanesh has granted them. He looks towards the human, "What are you wearing human? Either wear armor or wear something relaxing," his hand not holding toast motions down to his waist-cloth. "That thing is both an insult to protective wear and attractive clothing. It takes a lot to offend the sensibilities of a Slaaneshi, but you're doing a fine job."

He then looks to Dolar, "I hear my performance yesterday was satisfactory to your sponsors. I hope it gives you sufficient ratings. I am only interested in how I can use such recognition as currency on this world."

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Werix, these are the current offers on the table after your masterful display from the five kingdoms. Accepting any of the offers from one of the five kingdoms necessitates you fight for them in the games. You can refuse all. You negotiate or demand more.
Ghiblisi: They offer you a Noise Marine Blastmaster and command of a squad of Astartes.
Ibiza: They offer the services of their head warpsmith, Perillos, in binding a daemon to one of your weapons.
Queensland: Offers to modify your Heavy Bolter with Pain Vents
Puistokemisti: The emissaries of the Exospectre offer you a suit of Terminator Armor customized to accept one of your current heavy weapons.
Nuceria: Offers you a Q'Sal Soul Cannon, tailor made to fit.
The Alpha Legion: Send a invitation to meet with them to discuss "things". Also in the parcel are parts which could be used to reactivate your Nutrient Recycling system and new gauntlets/bracers which can sustain the recoil of a bolter one handed (Recoil Suppression subsystem).

Oh and incase you are wondering. Taking any of the offers which includes a weapon that requires Exotic Weapon Training assumes you will be trained in its use so you get the appropriate talent for free.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 10:25 on May 18, 2015

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Anastasia

Anastasia had spent most of the night tossing and turning in what had turned out to be a very comfortable bed. She steered very clear of the set of buttons and levers that were labelled, rather ominously, "Pain, 1-11". Her mind had refused to quit the whole night, running over different scenarios for the next day and her impending task.

When the morning came, it found her sprawled across her bed, having finally found sleep. She wakes, showers, and cleans herself up before donning her armor and making her way to the lobby of the hotel. Her stomach growled, reminding her that she really hadn't had a proper meal since she had arrived on the planet. She helps herself to the food that is less clearly psychotropic, she would need her head clear for at least the first half of the day, and seats herself near the gathering of Astartes and the woman she had seen on the screen the previous day. She was alive, which was impressive, and had cleaned up nicely. She says nothing, merely listening to their casual conversation.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Serp

There's only so many times one can clean a weapon before it becomes an exercise in futility and Serp decides to stop before reaching that point. Instead he moves over to introduce himself to the so-called blood bride. She doesn't have to know his purpose, but perhaps a somewhat friendly contact can be made.

"I saw your work. Very impressive. I wonder if an alliance can be made between us."

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010

Dolor Atheir

"I'm sure you'll have numerous offers of patronage from the assorted kingdoms. I'm surprised there weren't runners and supplicants beating down your door - something for you to look forward to I suppose."

He turns from Julius when the Blood Priestess arrives, giving her a respectful bow of the head, "Good morning. You have a point of course. My name is Dolor Atheir - master of ceremonies for the Grand Games. My brothers here are Ciphrian of the Death Guard and Julius, a "fallen" Blood Angel. I'm sure the assorted eavesdroppers will announce themselves if they care to, but truthfully I am far more interested in what brings you here. This is not a world scions of the Blood God typically venture to. What is it you seek?"

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
While picking some bacon out of his teeth with his nail, a messenger from the hotel lobby comes in bearing a multitude of documents and dataslates from the various different kingdoms wanting his support. He reviews them and annotates them before sending them back with the messenger.

A bunch of Supplicants posted:

Ghiblisi: They offer you a Noise Marine Blastmaster and command of a squad of Astartes.
I am neither a Noise Marine nor a leader of astartes.

Ibiza: They offer the services of their head warpsmith, Perillos, in binding a daemon to one of your weapons.
What strength of daemon?

Queensland: Offers to modify your Heavy Bolter with Pain Vents
If you are going to install pain vents could you also provide my bolter with belt feed and recoil baffling as well?

Puistokemisti: The emissaries of the Exospectre offer you a suit of Terminator Armor customized to accept one of your current heavy weapons.
Tell me the quality of terminator armor you will provide.

Nuceria: Offers you a Q'Sal Soul Cannon, tailor made to fit.
This weapon lacks the concussive force to be a grand instrument in service to Slaanesh.

The Alpha Legion: Send a invitation to meet with them to discuss "things". Also in the parcel are parts which could be used to reactivate your Nutrient Recycling system and new gauntlets/bracers which can sustain the recoil of a bolter one handed (Recoil Suppression subsystem).
No.

With the annotations made, Julius dismisses the messenger with a hand wave and places another handful of bacon in his mouth.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Victoria

Victoria smiles back at the blood angel, all teeth. Everyone there can feel a palpable sense of anger and hate emanating from her despite the manners and pleasant demeanor. "I apologize, sir. I had no idea picnic blankets were the fashion this season."

"Why thank you. I admit it was a bit impromptu, but when you're working with orks its pays to go with the spirit of the moment." She nods to the plague marine and takes a seat before answering Dolor. "Yes, a bit of a unique offer, I could hardly turn it down given the chance to evangelize out here. No one god has the claim over violence, I mean even the ork deities have a substantial amount of influence there. My specialty is giving everyone, not matter how low, a chance to die on their feet. I've heard of the emotional controls in every citizen here, and quite interested in learning more."

And then the goony spectre appears from nowhere. "Ah, yes, mr...?" She extends her right hand and offers the seat across from her, the blades whirring a little bit.

I think that's everyone.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Ciphrian the Inevitable

"Julius? Damnation, and I was certain I had your name right."

Ciphrian lifts the tome at his side again, crosses something out, and writes in the correction before letting the book fall back to his side again. Staying silent as the Bloodbride speaks, he scans the gathering, wondering who could be of use on the upcoming expedition to Gnosi. From his understanding, mentioning Gnosi tended to distress the locals, who insisted with a little bit too much vigor that there was nothing to be found there. Clearly they didn't like to think about the time a servant of Nurgle managed to virus-bomb their greatest forge. Obviously, then, it would be best to go about gathering allies in the most subtle manner possible.

Unfortunately, he was already utterly sick of trying to be sneaky about this, and if the Alpha Legion wanted subtlety, they shouldn't have tried to include a Plague Marine in their damned plots. If they wanted to complain, he'd just shoot them to death.

"So, I've heard a few whispered stories about the Isles of Gnosi. Most of them concern the possibility of powerful artifacts, and frankly, I'm beginning to get the impression that I'm never going to be called up for auxiliary duty. It's almost like some idiot arranged to have me removed from the list entirely, ha ha ha! Anyway, consider this a blatant offer: anyone accompanying me gets a share of what we find. Assuming they live."

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Werix posted:

While picking some bacon out of his teeth with his nail, a messenger from the hotel lobby comes in bearing a multitude of documents and dataslates from the various different kingdoms wanting his support. He reviews them and annotates them before sending them back with the messenger.

With the annotations made, Julius dismisses the messenger with a hand wave and places another handful of bacon in his mouth.

Modifying the weapon to accept a belt feed is easily done.Recoil Baffling would interfere with Pain Vents.
The Terminator Armor would be standard quality.
As for the Ibiza option: whatever strength daemon you would be willing to risk your soul to have. You'd also have to convince MaliciousOnion's character. whose already on a tight schedule . If you wanted something stronger than a daemonette though. He's got 6 daemon engines to make m8.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Anastasia

"I would hardly call something this obvious 'eavesdropping'." Anastasia says with a chuckle. "I met a few of you earlier, before the -ah- Bloodbride made her appearance along with her friends." she says, giving the woman an appraising look. "I don't suppose anyone has seen the Warpsmith?"

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010

Dolor Atheir

"A chance to die on their feet? Fascinating..." he ponders that, as Ciphrian makes his offer. Treasure hunting? It made him furrow his brow quizzically.

"I get the strong impression that there is more to these 'whispered stories' but it doesn't matter in the end. How long are you expecting this little expedition to last? And perhaps more importantly, what are you looking for? Or is this a bit of whimsy?"

"As to the Warp Smith - if I had to guess, I would say he is hard at work. His profession is always in high demand during the games, although he might be around somewhere. Do you need to speak with him?"

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Julius sits in silence mopping the back grease off his plate with his toast when the messenger returns with the counter-counter offers. He reviews them. While the Terminator armor was tempting, typically Julius annihilated his foes before they got close enough to become a problem. He sends off his acceptance, vowing to fight for Queensland in the games ahead.

Julius turns to the Plague Marine, "I've just pledged to fight in the games, so I suppose I must finish that little errand. As for your little island adventure, if you can guarantee a high likelihood of combat, I shall tag along."

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Ciphrian the Inevitable

Ciphrian turns to Dolor and shrugs.

"How long will it last? I couldn't tell you. It all depends on how long it takes to find what I'm looking for, and how long it takes to find what I was sent to look for. In addition to being an auxiliary--although that seems to have fallen through--I've been contracted by an...interested party; one who has a specific artifact in mind. I myself am interested in anything I can carry out of there, preferably weaponry, armor, or artifacts of power. The rumors never agree on just what can be found in Gnosi; I've heard about finely-crafted Terminator Armor, powerful daemon weaponry, xenos artifacts from before the dawn of mankind, and secret rituals and True Names intended for the creation of powerful new Daemon Engine designs. If I can use what I find, that would be ideal, but I am just as happy to auction anything I can't use off to the highest bidder."

Ciphrian pauses to grab a piece of fruit from the bowl at the center of the table. Bloated flies emerge from the joints of his gauntlet and begin swarming across it in his hand, consuming it layer by layer as he continues.

"Of course, the one thing the rumors do agree on is that the Isles of Gnosi are not as dead as they appear. I expect there will be active defenses in the forges, and there is always the risk that ancient Daemon Engines might be running loose. More far-fetched rumors mention what certainly sounds like Abominable Intelligences or Necrons. But to be perfectly honest, that isn't what worries me. When I met with my contact, he sprang an unexpected 'friend' on me: an Alpha Legionnaire, all too eager to join me, and all too eager to convince me that my current employer isn't to be trusted. I already distrust my current employer, given that he's a damned Tzeentchi, but that doesn't mean I'll cheerfully put my trust in the Legion who have spent the past ten thousand years manipulating everyone they deal with."

As the last scrap of fruit is consumed and the last of the flies crawl back into his armor, Ciphrian shakes his head and grunts in irritation.

"But I haven't survived this long by being a coward, and I will not accept this being a completely wasted trip, so I'll be heading there regardless of who joins me. There will certainly be a fight, and there will certainly be valuables to be plundered. On the other hand, the Alpha Legion is involved, and I'd sooner trust a member of the Emperor's Children than one of them. Fair warning."

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Anastasia

The mention of both unknown artifacts and rituals and True Names for daemon engines grabs Anastasia's attention. "I do need to speak to the Warpsmith, but I imagine he would be very interested in this trip as well. I believe I shall tag along as well."

As soon as the words leave her mouth, she realizes that it would mean hours, at least, trapped in a confined space with the fly and disease ridden Marine. She mentally makes note to keep her helmet on and sealed.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Serp

Serp takes the seat offered and sits back, just a wee bit wary of the rather large weapon embedded in the woman's arm.

"I am called Serp. I only know you as the Blood Bride, though that's a very apt description. I would offer you my weapon and my eyes. Both are sharp enough, after their fashion, and your greenskins won't last forever. Fearless, sure, but not nearly as capable as you are. I would cut down many who attempted to assault you."

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010

Dolor Atheir

"Ah, so you've met Alpharius as well. A fascinating man, always able to appear in the most interesting places..." he says dryly, pondering this information, "Well these games are not friendly in any sense of the word, so it is possible that someone is trying to play you for a fool. Still, I would be remiss not to seek out such plots. They might disrupt the proceedings, and that would simply not do. When do you plan to leave? And should I arrange for transport? Alpha Legion... I could do with a millenia without those conniving little bastards skulking about."

He stands up, his food finished. He would need to fetch his armor before leaving.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Ciphrian the Inevitable

Ciphrian nods to Anastasia and Dolor, pleased.

"The master of ceremonies himself and... a familiar-looking mortal, excellent. Any others? I am free to leave at any time. Our time of departure depends on the schedules of those who want to come along. For instance, we might have to wait if Julius decides to accompany us, since he has a match to fight in. As for transport, I suspect my so-called 'allies' will be happy to arrange for a Thunderhawk. And believe me, Dolor, I will be all too happy to start cracking skulls if those damned hydras try anything."

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
Dolor Atheir

"If?"

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Julius nearly chokes on his bacon crease soaked toast at the words of Serp, "If you think that you will be able to cut me down when I find it time to abandon the Blood Harlot, you are welcome to try. But yes, my schedule is limited by the requirement to serve in battle. The upgrades to my heavy bolter will be worth the slight diversion. Though I do have a splendid idea! I have apparently signed up with," the astartes looks down at the dataslate, "Queensland as a warrior for them. Why don't the lot of you join me in battle as an entourage of sorts. The more quickly we finish the games the better, and it would give us an opportunity to fight together. To hone our battle skill as a unit before going for this real prize on whatever island you said." Julius punctuates his sentence by picking more bacon out of his immaculate teeth.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Ciphrian the Inevitable

Ciphrian chuckles at Dolor's reply, then turns his head to look at Julius.

"Hmmm...well, I suppose it would give me something to do other than sit around this lobby ignoring the glares from the housekeeping staff. If Queensland is willing to accept you bringing along a little warband of your own, consider me in. I'm eager to add to my meager kill tally. Speaking of which..."

Ciphrian picks up the tome at his side again and opens it before looking to the humans at the table expectantly.

"I don't believe I know the names of the mortals in our little gathering. Would you care to introduce yourselves so I have something to call you other than 'mortal' or 'you there'? I need to write it down if I'm to have any chance of remembering it. Ten thousand years of my skull serving as a maggot's nest has degraded my memory slightly, so I write everything of relevance to me down. It really cuts down on the number of times I arrive on a planet and forget what I'm doing there."

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Anastasia

"I am Anastasia, sometimes called 'The Magnificent', though I haven't been on this planet long enough for that appellation to stick again." Anastasia says, eyeing the huge, bloated marine with some distaste. He was friendly enough, but gods the flies were just disgusting. She turns her attention to the far more pretty Julius, "I'd be honored to fight alongside you, if you'll have me. I've yet to face an enemy that lives after I've gotten my sword in them."

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Victoria

"If you missed the billboards and whatnot, I'm Victoria of Kurse. I admit I'm more interested in acquiring human resources at the moment rather than more toys, but I'm interested in the expedition as long as it won't take too long. Gotta keep that media presence fresh and all."

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Serp

"I had missed them. Busy dealing with the things in the shadows. But I managed to put a bolt shell between its eyes and here I am. I'm sure there are plenty of resources available if we pool our own, and I don't think you'll find anyone better able to provide covering fire. It would certainly help you get closer to the enemy."

She doesn't need to know the details of your battle with the Warp Talon. So what if you only stunned the creature long enough to escape? You got away. And you still have plenty of other skills to assist when you need to.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Perillos

The Warpsmith cannot help but overhear himself being discussed as he stands outside the lobby, waiting for a shuttle from Ibiza to collect him. From the corner of the room, immobile as a statue, he listens to the entire conversation, his superhuman hearing and sophisticated sensors embedded in his helmet ensuring he hears every word as clearly as if the speakers were right next to him. He realises he has heard enough to know that his chances of success in Gnosi are far better working with these people than, inevitably, against them. Walking back inside, he announces himself, "I am Perillos, the Warpsmith. I understand you are preparing an expedition to Gnosi. Perhaps we can work together."

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

The Expedition to Gnosi
It appears that the heretics have found common cause to work together. Plundering the lost Forges of Gnosi is a task no one has accomplished to date, or perhaps they have and wisely have kept its secrets to themselves!?!? :iiam: Nevertheless this is what you all have been able to piece together about the hazards that face you on the Isle of Gnosi from the various rumours and legends that surround the place.

Gnosi was subject to virus bombing when the Pit Lord broke free of his prison during the war between Guelph and Ghibelline. There is no organic life on the surface apart from the plantlife that has sprung up in the centuries since the war. It is said to be quite a sight truly though few have laid eyes on it due to the quarantine placed on the Isle since the war. Anything leaving the island is subject to being destroyed by Ghibelline aircraft patrolling the area.

To access the forge works would necessitate going underground either from some hidden entrance on the surface or navigating the underwater caverns and finding a way in through the docks. Unlike the land, the water is still hostile to life and the interior of the forge’s are said to be contaminated by biological and radiological hazards, never mind the automated defenses within. Then there is the fact that quite a few daemon engines have made Gnosi their playground. Not daemons but DAEMON ENGINES. Before departing it would be wise to seek out the knowledge of the few surviving teams that have been to Gnosi and lived to tell about it. It would also be wise to stock up on portable anti-armour equipment such as meltaguns. Almost all commonly retold tales of expeditions to Gnosi make a sight seeing tour of a Necron Tomb World more appealing.

This would be a good time to start making some acquisitions. I strongly suggest you pick up plasma or melta weaponry as well as explosives. Human characters will want environmentally sealed armour for when you go dungeon crawling. There are no necrons but there are things just as bad down there. You'll also want to do some inquiry and infamy test to get reliable information to find a good insertion point once you get to Gnosi. And finally, you'll want to arrange transport on and off without being blown out of the sky by the locals.

Good luck!

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 7, 2015

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Ciphrian the Inevitable

Letting his tome of memories swing back to his side, Ciphrian stands up from a chair that is now more rust than metal and gives the assembled group a slight bow.

"Good, good. Well then, I think we all have preparations to make. I'm going to look around the markets, see if I can't find more krak grenades, some defenses against the horrors that no doubt await, and perhaps a few other useful bits of gear."

With that, the Plague Marine strides out of the hotel lobby, his heavy footfalls fading in the distance. Later, well on his way to the marketplace, Ciphrian tunes his vox to the frequency given to him by the Alpha Legionnaire.

"This is Ciphrian. You told me to make friends, and so I have! Heh heh, there will be quite a crowd in on this expedition. More hands to carry treasure, more guns trained on our foes...and if they aren't careful, more corpses for the rotten mire of Gnosi. What a delightful image! But I digress: will you be arranging for transport in and out, or should I start looking for pilots with a suicidal streak?"

I don't know how many acquisitions you want us to make, so here's a list of 5 ordered by how badly I want the item in question. If I get to roll for the Infernal Star, I'll try to trade in my standard bolter for it.

1. 10 Legion Krak Grenades: 51 (-10 Rare +10 Ancient Warrior +10 Single)

2. Infernal Star: 51 (-30 Extremely Rare +10 Single+30 Trade Legion Bolter)

3. 10 Haywire Grenades: 41 (-10 Rare+10 Single)

4. Lascutter: 51 (+0 Scarce +10 Single)

5. 10 Smoke Grenades: 71 (+20 Common +10 Single)

I'm also spending 100 XP to pick up Survival.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

You made every single acquisition roll except for the smoke grenades (missed by 1).

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Julius finishes his bacon and toast and makes his way to his room to get his armor on, and to make sure that his heavy bolter is delivered to the forgemasters for the promised upgrades, hoping they finish before their expedition to Gnosi. He opens his weapon cask and takes stock of his gear along with what threats they were to face. Typically there was no armor threat that his Reaper autocannon could not handle. The slug from an autocannon had more strength than a krak grenade, and his autocannon could put out enough rounds to make a grenade launcher blush.

The autocannon would rip apart any daemon engine from range. The problem is, if they were going to be in some long abandoned tunnels, Julius might not have enough time to put enough rounds down range. The problem that Julius always had with plasma weapons and melta weapons was that they were too quiet to make good music for Slaanesh. The quiet wosh of boiling air caused by a melta weapon was nothing compared to the miniaturized explosions of an autocannon.

Begrudgingly, Julius realizes that he will need some sort of closer range anti-armor equipment.

Okay:

Plasma cannon:31(41 if ancient warrior counts) (-20 very rare, +10 single, +0 basic)
Demolition charge (for getting in or out) 31 (-10 rare, +0 2-4)
Auspex 51(+0 scarce, +10 single)

Guess I can't think of anything else I want. I was going to get a backpack ammo supply, but I don't think they actually statted those in Black Crusade, though with the ammo belt upgrade, why would you need it?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Victoria

The tedious dinner concluded and after a few more catty remarks exchanged with the Slaaneshi marine, Victoria heads out and mingles with people that look like they actually have money. While the conversation stopped dead when she brought up the topic of Gnosi, Victoria was nevertheless able to secure the services of someone dumb enough to be willing to transport them there, ideally both ways. All in all, they were actually quite gregarious, once they got over the whole "Cleric with a giant warped, spinning meat tenderizer for an arm dedicated to a god who wants to murder you all." This of course was the problem she needed fixed; although a mighty symbol of the blood god's favor, like many gifts of the Powers, having a chainhammer for a hand was awesome but also an enormous pain in the rear end. Not having fingers sucked, especially when you needed to hold a big gun, to say nothing of the amount of curls you needed to do to keep both arms proportionate. This might piss off Khorne something fierce, but quite honestly He's always going to be mad about something.

Now that Victoria was headed into a place with giant death machines, she probably needed some flexibility. In addition, she wasn't going to have some crude ball and joint screwed onto her shoulder, she had to live with this thing and that meant not settling for anything but the best. Compounding this problem was that assuming she could find both the appendage and a competent surgeon, simply grafting an oversized implement of destruction to your frame and expecting it to work was a terrible idea if you planned on surviving longer than some underhive slave with a drill for a arm/leg/face.

So when Victoria eventually finds someone willing to hook her up (literally) with what she needs, she plans out exactly how they were going to reinforce the rest of her. Crudely and permanently warping your flesh together with your powerarmor worked for many berserkers, but Slaaneshis seemed to understand sometimes there are situations where being a large undulating lump of flesh isn't the best approach.

Well, we have a ride,

Acquisition attempts
-BQ cyber arm to replace/fix my hammer hand, infamy45,scarce+0,bq-20,single+10=TN 35, SUCCESS
-Meltagun, infamy 45, vrare-20,single+10=tn 35, FAIL
--Reroll also FAIL
-C.Q synthmuscle, Infamy 45,rare-10,single+10=tn 45, Just barely a SUCCESS
-Inquiry asking about the place: HAHAHA, NOPE
-Infamy test to arrange transport on some fucker's yacht/PDF boat/whatever: Assuming a +0 mod, SUCCESS

Summary:Welp, tried to get a bigger gun, failed, so at least now I can possibly hit hard enough with the hammer to gently caress one of these up, hopefully. Also there's still the plasma pistol.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

You got the Plasma Cannon but nothing else Werix. Also sure you can have a backpack ammo supply, assume it comes standard since you rolled pretty well on the acquisition test. Use Only War values for the moment until I think of something better. I need to doublecheck the modifiers but I'm gonna go with victoria doesn't secure transport on her own. Alpha Legion would definitely drop you guys in...but then again you'd be relying on the alpha legion.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Anastasia

Gnosi sounded like an adventure. One perhaps more suited to a devotee of Nurgle, but an adventure nonetheless and if she wanted to reach her goal, this was definitely one step in that direction. "Well then, that's settled." she says to the others as their impromptu meal wraps up. "Shall we meet back here this evening?" She nods to the group and heads out into the streets to find some gear. If she was to survive this excursion, she would need to gather some supplies. She didn't fancy moving within close range of an enraged daemon engine.

Acquisitions:
-M41 Multilaser (Very Rare, single item, trade in Neural Whip(rare, Excessive Wealth)): TN=41-20+10+10+10=51
-Haywire Grenades (4) (Rare, 4 items, Excessive Wealth): TN=41-10+10=41
-Krak Grenade (4) (Rare, 4 items, Excessive Wealth): TN=41-10+10=41
-Smoke Grenade (4) (Common, 10 items, Excessive Wealth): TN=41+20-10+10=61
-Melta-bomb (Very Rare, 1 item, Excessive Wealth): TN=41-20+10+10=41

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Your might is not so great

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Serp

The sniper is unsure of whether any sort of bargain has been struck, but at the very least he'll be able to tag along with the group and really, that's all he needs to do. Gnosi... what is it about Gnosi? Toxic hellhole, as he recalls. That alone warrants a shopping trip. Perhaps he can get some other odds and ends while he's out.

Shopping list:

Vac-seals for the armor: 31
Good quality Respirator: 51
OW Sniper Rifle: 51
Melta Bomb: 21
Micro-bead: 61

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
Dolor

"I will try to find a survivor from an expedition to this place. Perhaps I will be able to convince them to accompany us as a guide - even if their information is out of date, at least we will not be walking into this situation completely blind."

He stands from the table and floats away back to his room to put his armor back on. He did a mental checklist in his mind about what would be good to bring with him - and one of the Hyperwave Cannons seemed very promising indeed...

Alright I'm back, but I've lost this post three times now so I'm just going to do my acquisitions so I'm not holding things up.
Good Quality Ghibelline Hyperwave Cannon: TN 33 (43 - 20 (Very Rare) - 10 (Good) + 10(Single) + 10 (Ghibelline))
-Will use an infamy to re-roll this if possible/necessary

x4 Haywire Grenades: TN 33 (43 - 10 (Rare) - 0 (Small Amount))

Meltabomb: TN 33 (43 - 20 (Very Rare) + 10 (Single))

Also going to ask around for one of these survivors that came back from this hellhole and survived so that we can get information from them. I am the Master of Ceremonies, you can definitely trust me.
Infamy Test: TN 43

Then a Charm Test to get them to come along with us as a guide.
Charm: TN 90 (70 + 20 (Skill))

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Im gonna roll these infamy tests in a bit but I have one question for you, my players. Have you heard of the inquiry skill?
Also curly you already have a hyperwave cannon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
I unfortunately don't have Inquiry. I was hoping that I could use my sheer reputation to get people to point me in the right direction with infamy, and then I could let my charm do its thing to get information from them. If that isn't viable, then I'll do an Inquiry: TN 35.

Also thanks, I didn't know they let me keep that.

• Locked thread