Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr. Smith
2/5 XP | 0:00 | 1-Armor (1-Brain) | 4-Barter

This is becoming a huge mess. Well, not really becoming. It's just... with all my mind skills I'm still not even half of a Raven or even a Wombat when the big guns come out. Bullets still hurt, a lot. And it looks like Wombat's getting their attention in a much more interesting way anyway. That being said, the missile. The missile is bad. I can stop a machine intelligence with a presence. I can't stop a missile. Which is exactly why I'm going to head back to the Infirmary itself and see if I can actually talk to Bash, or help them escape. If it matters. If Wombat can't calm them down, I bet that thing vaporizes the entire square anyhow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Luka
The pups come back over the wall, but they are not happy with being leashed. You’re otherwise occupied, and farther away, so Comet seems to be the one they’re focusing on. No bloodshed yet, still in the snapping and snarling phase.

But that fades into the edges as you focus through the scope, willing the beast into your sights. You try to corral it closer with your first few shots, but you suddenly see a shadow-wall moving away from the compound. Looks like its not liking the high-powered rounds, and its haste to move gives you as clear a shot as you’ll get. The special rounds slam into it, and the ‘snatch bowls over, crushing several autowrecks. It gets up and continues escaping, wounded but still fast.
(It sucks up the damage, which I think is 4-ap. You built it like a tank, so its still going but its hurt bad.)

Priest
Teacher gives you a quick nod. “Its that Oppressor Norton and her goons. We’ve finally got the Soak halfway civilized again, so she came around demanding control. Told her to gently caress off, and she shot me in the mutherfuckin’ face. Now her compound in the Haights is tighter than she is, but we’ve heard tell that brain-fucker Smith has signed on with her. Gonna go kill his crew and string him up by his balls. Gonna show the East’ers that no-one fucks with the Soak anymore.”

Emdey
Was opening up to the Maelstrom in the middle of a warzone a bad idea Other Emdey? Yes it was. The Death and Hate swirl around you, blotting out the Square and its inhabitant’s paltry lives. And then you realize, what you’re feeling isn’t local: the loving Sword of Damocles is hanging in the sky above you, and the hand holding it is getting its fingers pried loose bit by bit.

The Battle of Infirmary Square? Chicken-feed that’s barely written up in the History of the Blackfeather Empire. The Obliteration of the Gold Bay? Now that has a few pages.

The Battle of Infirmary Square
You make it safely back to the Infirmary while Wombat is occupying the APC with some nonsense about a day-based violence system. The inside isn’t much better, Emdey is being held down by scared-looking Crush and Bash, while Doctor’s minions tend to a nasty looking cut. You can feel the Maelstrom pouring into the smaller woman, she’s riding the tiger with more instinct than skill. Suddenly the room frosts over and her eyes fly open, before being closed in pain again. She’s back, but she didn’t come back alone. What do you see Mr. Smith?

A pregnant pause hangs over the Square JJ and Raven, as your words echo and the missile continues to warm up. There’s a click and a whine as the loudener kicks in. ”I don’t care what loving day it- whatthefuc?! Put thatdown Priva- *BANGBANGBANG* the amplified gunshots echo even more, especially as the hissing of the missile dies suddenly. Clanks sound from the mid-hatch, and it slowly opens. A empty pair of blood-soaked hands pokes out, followed slowly by an equally blood-soaked man in fatigues.

“D-don’t shoot, I ain’t armed! They said you was terr’ists, but you’re just loving kids, aren’t you?”

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
excellent.
I built it that way from first principle: after eating hordes of people, and laughing off damage that would liquify a normal human several times over, what would be something that would scare the piss out of Luka?
What would be nasty enough that even the big bad wolf just seinfeld.gif and 'nope's out?
:getin:

Post coming later tonight, maybe, rough day.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Priest the Gunlugger
0/5 xp, 0-harm
Armor 2 – MG (3-harm close/far area messy) Grenade Tube (4-harm close area reload messy), 9mm (2-harm close loud)

"Yes, I have heard of Norton's arrogance. Normally we do not concern ourselves with internal politics, but there have been disturbing claims. Consorting with Earth Spirits, Black Magic Binding. And this Smith. More rumors that should have been silenced long ago. The Mind, the Soul, these things are sacrosanct. To invade them is profanity of the darkest sort. My task is vital, but I hope I have delayed our doom from Hellfire long enough to aid you in this. Perhaps then you will aid me in turn."

I look meaningfully at the assembled soldiers. If they help me locate this gang it will be faster than tracking them myself, even if I waste some time in this battle. And Smith does need to die, though normally he wouldn't be a priority. I've heard Luka was moving within the city. Smith is a single abomination. Luka is a living plague, a carrier of madness and perversion. I've been in the outlands for a while, so I have no idea how many he's corrupted. Ideally he's even been driven out, even burned to ash by now. But the Lord often saves such tasks for me. If he's established a foothold, restored his pack to full strength, then we have a threat equal to the Hellfire.

"You are wounded and your friend asked me to council you towards caution. I would prefer you lead from the back and appoint a lieutenant to lead a small group of your most skilled fighters. I will join them. If Smith is allied with Norton he will have large numbers of well-equipped men protecting him. Better to strike swiftly, kill the leader, and withdraw than to march to war with the forces you have now."

JJ the Savvyhead
0/5 xp, 4-barter
Hx: Emdey+1 Luka+1 Mr. Smith+3 Raven-2

"Hi there! There sure are a lot of kids here! Now me, rest assured I abandoned my childish ways last week when I turned 15! Well, anyway, I don't know why you're not armed. Everybody is armed, even the kids! Comes from us being shot up all the time by fine gentlemen like your friend. So we'll see about getting you armed again soon. Well... if the fights over looks like I won't have to gently caress off so instead I'll gently caress on over to Emdey's place and help tend to the wounded and such. Reason I came here in the first place cause this is a hospital and my van has at least one shot lady in it. Looks like there might be a lot more shot ladies on the ground here. Like this one! And uhh, well this one isn't really a lady. I heard rumors about this one. Not ladylike at all. Still shot though. Shot to poo poo. So, you wanna help? They teach you how to get those bullets out after you stick them in?"

I start tending to the wounded, at some point I look over at the guy, "so where did you dig up a lazer? Got any other cool toys?"

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Luka
0:00 (Pack 6:00) | Armor 2 | Berzerker hold-0/3 | XP ●●●●○» | Barter-0

I'm not stupid enough to chase a wounded Bandersnatch through tight corners and poo poo visibility. Besides, I gotta get the kids in order.
I set Artemis to the side, and leap over the railing from my perch, changing form as I move from hold to hold until I stand before the squabbling werewolves in my own wolf form.
I stomp over to stand beside Comet, barking my disapproval at them while patting Comet's head. my eyes roam across the pack, silently daring any of these pups to challenge me.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr. Smith

Well, I guess Bash is on the "more" side of "okay, more or less." Not sure yet if the same can be said for Emdey, let me look; the meat sure isn't happy. Everything rushes past my eyes as I traverse the boundaries of this world and find the Maelstrom there, waiting for me. Either I catch Bash's eye or our presences brush, hybrid realities are often hard to discern. That's a quote from Bozer; he always said it as a warning. For me, these days, it's more of business as usual. I'm sure that says something. It can't not.

Let's be real honest, when I walk into a room most people don't relax. I think, just maybe, it might have happened this time. Again, it's hard to tell. But what isn't hard to tell is what Emdey's carrying. It's a glom; a creature that lives mostly as a projection in the Maelstrom. Friendly enough, if you know how to interact with them, but if you've stumbled through their nest it's not unlikely to catch one. If you can get it out early enough, no real harm done, just a bit of mind-scarring. Probably the equivalent of cutting yourself shaving. I've never really had an issue with them.

The problem becomes when it grabs a nice hold of the projected equivalent of your brainstem; it tries to worm its way into your mind. Not fatal, of course (of course?) but it's certainly going to change you. And it's a lot harder to safely remove. I can probably do it, but.

You know.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Doctor
6:00 | Armor 0 | XP 3/5 | Barter-1 | Angel Stock - 4

Flying blind as I am when it comes to this psychic nonsense, as it's painfully obvious that's what my new way of seeing the world definitely is despite my gloms about it, I think I'm getting the hang of it. Except for one weird thing when I close the maelstrom off this time. It's less that there's another sense I'm using which I'm now figuring is just my glom's way of dealing with the impossibility of what is actually happening. Guys like Smith must be like amphibians just going in between like its nothing. But people like glom still have to make do. The concept of their being another glom like 'Other Emdey' is a little weird but might be a good visualization technique. Sorta like shutting off your ego by meditating, grandad always tried to get me to glom that but I always just napped, but for opening up. I close out the normal 5 senses, turn on the sixth, then that lets out Other Emdey to do her thing. At some point she comes back I guess. What's weird is that I don't have the normal feeling of losing something then gaining it back, in this case Other Emdey leaving then returning, I almost feel like I've gained something other than information. It really makes glom think. I mean me and my Other Emdey share information even before she comes back so theoretically there's some sort of transfer of energy or information from glom to glom. Psychic bullshit.

I manage to get one hand to my still seeping wound, PA did a bit of a rush job but he did an okay job for a glom in a pinch, and the other helps lift myself up to the window to see what's going on again. I clear out a the broken glass and pop my elbows onto the sill so my hands are free to attempt a makeshift cone around my mouth. A few jagged breaths really trying to sound professional and authoritative with this new information. I yell, "Glom!"

That didn't sound entirely right. Trying again I enunciate more clearly, "Glom! Blackfeather! Glom! Destroy us glom! Glom empire! Raven? JJ? Smith? Glom?" The names decrease in volume as PA pulls me back down from my tottering position at the window and tries to work over the wound I'd made a little worse by wriggling around. I let him do it, glom knows glom could use a narco induced nap about now. Glom.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Raven
3:00 | 1-armor | XP ●●●○○» | 10-barter

With things more or less calmed down, Raven decides to make a power play and climbs up onto the recently de-manned APC and plops herself down. Possession is all of the law around here, after all. The crew makes their way over as well, Crow shaking his head and muttering to himself about risk and foolishness. Alex and Merlin only have eyes for the vehicle. Raven reaches down and pulls Twirl up next to her.

"Well that was an interesting diversion, wonder if Wombat-" Whatever Raven's wondering will have to wait, interrupted by Emdey's sudden shouting. Something about the nonsense makes the hair raise on the back of Raven's neck. "The hells?"

She looks around, and spots Mr. Smith. "Hey, you know what she's talking about?"

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Luka
Comet’s already put a few down on their hunches by the time you arrive, and she preens a bit at your attention. The mob of pups backs down for the most part, although there are some soft snarls within the submission-whines. One pup stands his ground though. Casper, still wearing his old flesh, stutters and stares at the ground while the rest back away.

“N-n-need t-t-tooooooooo h-hunt. Chaaaaaase. Whyyyyy you a-a-afraid, w-w-we are P-P-P-Pack!”

JJ
The man slowly nods and reaches into the APC, pulling out a white box and bringinging it over. Opening it reveals a tidier version of your medkit. “We’re given basic first aid in the Legion. Name’s Musk by-the-by. Are you really going to tend to a Legion-man?”

Looking down, you realize that your patient is in fact someone you were just fighting. Looks like most of the badly injured folks are on the Lycon side, Emdey’s kids and assorted hangers-on seemed to have made it through with minor casualties.

Musk shrugs at your question about the lazer. “The Dark-lighters are the conduit to the holy Tech, they merely teach those that operate it the Rites. Only those accepted into the Dark Tower of Hose-ay are given the Knowing.”

Priest
Teacher eyes you up at your proposed plan of attack. You can see the anger and need for vengeance do battle with his caution and wits. After only a moment, he smiles and nods. “If God’s Killer wishes it so, who am I to argue with such an Instrument.” He picks up his AyeKay, plated in gold and inscribed with the flowing Raby script, and tosses it to a younger man clad in the Coffintown battle-colors.

“Staffa, take the 3rd Streets and walk in Priest’s shadow. Listen to him as you would me, and bring me back the brain-fucker’s head.” He turns back to you. “We’ve a skiff down in the canal, it’ll get you across the Bay. Just tell Sharon were to go and she’ll get you there.

Raven
Aside from a brain-splattered console and the corpse of the former commander, the APC looks to be in good shape. Room for a squad and gear, although most of the space is taken up by missile-support gear at the moment. Controls look basic enough, although like most of the Lycon tech you’ve run across, the newness of the components is off-putting. Merlin’s joyous mutterings are cut short by Emdey’s shouts, and the arrival of a breathless E-spen.

“Bird-Lady-Old, come quick! Pauliebee says that Emdey-Mom has been Mael’d!”

Inside the Inglomary
As Emdey stirs you feel a bit of relief Mr. Smith, as you feel the glom’s presence fade a bit and the meat being able to move is a good sign. And then she opens her mouth and that relief turns sour as milk. Bash shoots you a look that’s equal amounts concern and panic.

>>Oh poo poo, have you ever seen that happen? I thought if you got hooked, you just got a little vague, not completely dissociated?! We can’t lose her Smith, she’s too important to th-<< Her mental defenses snap shut reflexively, you can see the surprise layered on top of her panic and concern. The thought-channel is still open, but something below Bash’s conscious did not want her completing that sentence.

There’s a hiss and a blissful numbness sweeps through you Emdey. You vaguely feel Crush lift you up like a small child and carry you to the nearest op-room at PA’s request. Other Emdey walks alongside, holding your hand. She leans in and whispers conspiratorially in your ear. “Hey Emdey, are you really going to let the others take control like this? You know they’re not good enough, not like we are, right?”

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Raven
3:00 | 1-armor | XP ●●●○○» | 10-barter

"Who the hell are you calling old, kid?" Raven scowls at the E-spen, but really there's more important things going on.

"Merlin, Alex, get this thing cleaned up. Sam, make sure no one wanders off with our missile. Wombat, we'll be back in a shake, hopefully." She hops back down, joining Crow, as Twirl follows as they march into the infirmary. Raven joins the others, looking around at the mess in here. Not one to be put off by a little blood and gore, nor by anyone's badass reputation, she makes for where the others have gathered.

"What the hell happened here?" she asks of everyone and no one in particular.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Doctor

The hand feels nice. Granddad would always make me hold his hand the WHOLE TIME we would venture outside, the one time I ran off he almost didn't let me go with him ever again.

"Emdey. Emdey? I mean we're on better terms right? Y'can call me Doctor, Other Emdey. Other Emdey sounds right though, like we're sisters or something. Other is a weird name though." I'm not positive how much of this is physical speech, and if so how much of it is even heard through my rapidly relaxing muscles.

"My boys are good, most of the time." My thoughts turn to the times I've caught RN canoodling in the storage closet or that month when PA was getting hopped up on that mycocephilitis patient's secretions instead of doing proper wound care. They do sorta walk over me sometimes like I'm their mom or something. Or even worse their older sister. Actually an older sibling might be good for them. Or even better, a stern auntie to whip them back into shape.

"How about you take over while I pass out for a little while, Other. You've got a handle on this. Glom night."

I will myself into unconsciousness.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr. Smith

>>I know, Bash, I know. She's very important.<< This much is true. And I've got a sense that I know exactly what Bash almost got to, but she doesn't know that, and claiming I do is just going to cause problems, not the least of which is that I actually don't know for sure. She'll clam up harder or at least her defenses will. She doesn't seem to control them much; I could work with her to relax them, if she wants. But back to her point about Emdey's glom. >>I don't know how deep the glom is, or how much she's actually fighting it. Some people like them, really.<< I see her drift off. "She'll live," I inform the gathered medical staff, "at least, the glom won't kill her. She might get a lot weirder if it stays, though, and getting it off can be extremely...intense, I suppose. No guarantee she'll be unharmed by it, either." I leave the actual question unasked, but this is her space, her people. By the same token, if it was going to kill her I'd already be on it. Emdey's important, for a lot of reasons. But there could be consequences, and so I leave it up to the people that know her best.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Luka

I calm down as the pack settles in, but then one of the new kids gets my attention. Casper stands and forces out words. huh, I thought he'd have been to far gone into the change for that, unless he's going Alpha on me. Welp, I'll find out for sure in the next couple days. I shift quickly back to man-form.

"No hunt. Bad Prey. Pack die." I break things down for the pup.
Casper does have a point though, we've been rebuilding and healing and resting ever since we took this place. Anybody could get a little cabin fever being cooped up in here, so I add.
"Good hunt soon. Pack Run."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
JJ the Savvyhead
0/5 xp, 4-barter

"Right, right, that's cool. I can dig it. Is there a real good reason I shouldn't help him? Like, you know him? He an rear end in a top hat? Or just a guy like you, bad info, maybe got a scrambled signal, just kinda loving up? Here, I don't got too much medical stuff, seems like you got some we can use too, we can maybe save 4 dudes here? Which are your favorite dudes? Won't shot me for my trouble?"

Save some folks: 2d6+1 6
Save some folks: 2d6+1 10
Save some folks: 2d6+1 5
Save some folks: 2d6+1 9
Yeah, bunch medical rolls, burning my supplies again. 2 redlines and 2 not? Or 2 interesting things and 2 not or whatever/

Priest the Gunlugger
1/5 xp, 0-harm
Armor 2 – MG (3-harm close/far area messy) Grenade Tube (4-harm close area reload messy), 9mm (2-harm close loud)

Sometimes I work in groups. Often I work alone, the Lord takes those who work with me quickly. He hasn't yet seen fit to Take me. It means my Work is not done. Never done. I turn to the younger man. "Your name? Guide us to this Sharon and tell me what intel we have. Do we know where this Thing sleeps? If it sleeps. If not, where it engages in its heretical perversions. It is best to come upon these beasts unaware and strike them down before they speak, lest their Witchcraft steal your will."

I listen carefully as we make our way to the other shore. It feels good to hunt this Evil, though greater ones lurk. I do not worry, I am following the guidance of the Lord.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
PA by the antiquated definition isn't someone who should take charge in a situation like this and even now he's happy to Assist. "We've dealt with plenty of parasites before: mud fish, that weird glowy thing that spread through housecats, gut busters, you name it and I've fished it out of someone. But all this psyker stuff I just don't know. I can glove up to help out with the body if you need me but otherwise I've got rounds to take care of." He sighs at this last chunk, both of the boys like working alone but only when they know their boss is taking care of the insane parts. The more insane parts, everything here is off the wall.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Let’s get this show back on track, shall we?

Luka
Casper nods vigorously. “Yesssss. Hunt Good. Luka Good. Pack Goooahwooooooo!” His statement ends in a howl of joy that is slowly picked up by the rest of the Pack. It disperses to the various claw-pads and chew-bars that have been scattered around the compount. Approaches, trying to slow her breathing. “What the poo poo was that? I know you don’t want them sniffing around here, but I can get word to some Order folks that there’s a Beast in the Bay discreet-like.”

JJ
Musk shrugs noncommittally. “Don’t know them, they’s Auxiliaries that were called up ‘cause the Crusaders got hosed. Was just surprised, Dark-lighters aside, we did just try to smoke you. War’s generally hosed.”

With the assistance of the BeeMix, the wounded of the Battle of Infirmary Square are tended to. Some die, but its fewer than if you had left them to lay JJ. Musk seems content to follow your lead, he seems to be thinking deep thoughts while bandaging. While Raven’s crew seem to have claimed the APC, a few of the larger BeeMix have dragged the wreckage of the lazor over to the DocWagon. T-Wrex, the biggest gets your attention. “Heyya Clutch, Pauliebee says you’ve got the Knowin’ of Makin’. I say we’ll trade you this shooter for some kickenrad wheels.”

Priest
The man shrugs. “Staffa’s the name, as Teacher said. We don’t know where the brain-fucker sleeps, but we know that he spends time at Scrapper’s Market. Got an in with the dude that runs it.” He raises his gun, emphasizing it. “Figure we’d start there and rattle some cages. They’ve also got a Maker and a Fixer in the Heap, Fix-it and Robin we’ve heard. Got some jingle with me, might loosen a tongue or two if they don’t just hate his guts.”

On the canal is a sizable skiff, oily outboard already belching smoke. The robed figure is wrapped in rags, sore-puss leaking through. As the gang approaches, they hold out a deformed hand. Staffa pauses, looking back and forth between you and the ferryman. “I’ve got the fare, if that’s cool wit’ you Priest.”

Inside the Inglomary
Working quickly while the tense discussion happens around them, RN extracts a nasty sliver of metal from Emdey’s side and patch her up. Despite being unconscious, she hisses in pain and makes a rude gesture.

“Watch it rear end in a top hat, Emdey taught you better than that.” An arm waves slowly, indicating the rest of you in the crowded op-room. “And you fucks, you realize she doesn’t actually trust most of you right? I mean she plays nice, but that’s just because she was socialized by the remnants of The Patriarchy to do so. At least I want the best for her. Plus, if you yank me out, you’ll never find out that the entire Sky is going to Fall on this Heap of yours. ...poo poo!” Emdey’s unconscious face twists into an annoyed pout.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Luka

"Fuuuuck no. Bandersnatches live to fight, if he thinks it's not worth it, he'll move on to where there's easier prey. Calling in a bunch of order dipshits would just ring the dinner bell. Hell, I hit him with the heaviest round a rifle like this can chamber, and all it did was spook him. No, our best move here is to stay very quiet until he leaves."
I turn back towards my office and head inside.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
JJ the Savvyhead
0/5 xp, 4-barter

I cock my head at the lazer, "pretty sure I killed it, ain't you ever heard of the ancient principal of 'you break it you bought it?" Now, I understand you got Finder's Keeper's rights because I didn't squat in it with speediness after the fight like Raven over there, but I still got at least partial claim so you're selling something half mine. So I should get double pay, right? Right. Now I can get you the Wheels you seek, how about an electric bike? But I'll want full Lazer rights AND jingle, or salvage or labor.

Priest the Gunlugger
1/5 xp, 0-harm

"Lead the way," I eye the man. Disease is rampant here. Disease of the body, mind, spirit. But I look at this man and judge him to be a man. So he may live. And if he is going to live, he might as well be paid for his services.

We make our way to Scrappers market, or what remains of it, "if the man who runs this place told you of Mr. Smith, with full knowledge that you intend to kill him, perhaps he will be of help." This may be a ploy, a way to use Teacher's forces to remove a competitor who, in truth, has nothing to do with the new 'Emperor'. But I don't bring it up. If he is practicing witchcraft by warping minds he must be put down regardless.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr. Smith

>>Hello, Glom! It's kind of you to speak for Emdey but you know that I know and frankly we all know that you're only after your own self-interest. You only care about Emdey because you're trying to brain her out. I get it, I know how that works. But take a reach out - there's a whole Heap out here for you to find another mind. Head on over there, << I gesture in the mental-clouds towards the general brainwaves of the Scrapper's office, towards Spiral and his boys. They probably won't step to a glom too much, half of them are psychotic anyway. >>And I don't care about the sky falling on us, Chicken Little. << Heard that story once. Never thought much of it. >>If the skyfall is going to happen again, no power in the whole drat bay can stop it. You know it, and I know it. If you're talking about some other sitch, then you better start talking now before I get real mad at you for latching on to one of my friends. << I don't need to rip the glom out just yet, but I'm not about to let it sit here, either. Tick tock, glom. You know what I can do, you can feel it.

Open Your Mind: 2d6+3 5

snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Raven
3:00 | 1-armor | XP ●●●●○» | 10-barter

Raven shares a look with Crow made all the more unreadable by their masks. Crow mutters, "Miss her all the time, but these are the times we need her." Raven's shoulders stiffen, then she nods sharply. "We'll make do." She catches Twirl by the elbow and pulls her little group towards Bash.

"You seem more the type to put people in this kind of state than pull them out of it, so why don't you spill on why you're here, and what went down."

Read a Person [+sharp]: 2d6+1 8
- What does your character wish I'd do?

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 9, 2015

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Luka
You just about make it to your office when there’s a mix of warning yelps and human cries of alarm from the Bayside side of the compound. The sounds of a large veggie-sil engine running ragged rise above the background drone, followed shortly by the jagged tearing of metal on rock. From a nearby window you can see the top of a ship over the walls, warning lamps blinking erratically.

One of the remaining non-Pack plays one of the spotlights across the vessel, a good-size fishing trawler. You can see a sizeable amount of damage across its superstructure, beyond what was caused by it running aground. Its flying no flags that you can see, and there’s no signs of movement.

JJ
T-Wrex gives you a glare that only an annoyed 12-year-old can manage before shrugging. “All right, I suppooose. We ain’t got no jingle, and Quarter says the scav we got goes to Mama-Doc. But me and the Tuffbois can help ya out.” He spits in his hand and offers it. “But iffin the wheels aren’t ollie-ollie, we’s gonna have words.”

Priest
The ride across the Bay is slow but quiet. Sharon says nothing, and the Students seem a bit anxious. They’re battle-hardened, so what do you think’s got them the jitters?

You’ve passed through Scrapper’s before on the Walk, and its definitely seen better days. The quiet surrounds are explained as you approach the entrance and see the storm-barriers lowered. A handful of sentries raise their weapons at your approach, but take a more respectful posture when they see your Sign. “Sorry sir, but the Market’s closed. Having a bit of a personnel issue and Mr. Gozo didn’t want it affecting his customers.”

The muffled sound of gunfire echoes from inside the structure, and the sentries flinch slightly.

The Maelstrom Shallows
As you unconsciously rise up a little out of your Meat, you’re jarred by the scene you find yourself in. The winds have subsided, and a blissful looking Emdey sits in a field of grass and flowers. Another Emdey kneels behind her braiding her hair and glaring at you. They are both Emdey, but not both Doctor, and the Other snarls at you.

<<Leave? gently caress you Smith, she called for me and I answered. I belong here unlike you. And yes We know who you are, little brain-man. The others might feel sorry for you for what happened, but I know you’re just a mean little poo poo. Now just gently caress. OFF.>>

The force of the psychic shout slams you back into your Meat, and only your fancy trinket spares you from a minor aneurysm. Frost blossoms out from you, and the temperature in the room drops below freezing...
(Technically Other Emdey does 1-harm, but you have fancy brain-armor)

The Infirmary
-She wants you to tell her everything will be OK

Bash’s eyes focus on you Raven, and you can see she’s shook up. “What? Oh. Ms. Emdey found some irregularities using that big scanner of hers, and she wanted to keep me under observation since she doesn’t know a lot about the Touched. I was upstairs, but Auntie Crush says she was hurt during the attack, and I think Ms. Emdey tried to Touch the Sky during the fighting. I felt her reach out, and I think a glom followed her back. Only…” She pauses and shivers, as if from a bad memory.

“Only gloms are fragments, no harm to any but the weakest or most unlucky. Ms. Emdey is neither, but this glom is just so solid, so r-”

She’s interrupted by Smith pitching backwards into her with a grunt, and suddenly the room is freezing and covered in frost. Aside from a neat circle around Doctor’s bed.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Doctor

I flutter my eyes open a bit when I can hear feet on gras- hold on a second. Eye. I've only got one eye right above the bridge of my nose. Flutter that anyway and as I took a little time to think about experiencing everything through one powerful sense Other Emdey gets to hollering. I focus my vision just a little until he flies backwards then am left a bit confused. As I'm bringing a hand back to rub the back of my neck I make contact with one of hers still doing a great job on the braid. I turn my shoulders and crane my neck to see her a little, "What was he doing here? Is...is this not a dream? Is this somewhere up there?" I gingerly raise an index finger skywards and find the gently swirling clouds overhead just a little bit unsettling.

"We're doing that thing JJ and Smith do, do they say 'projecting'?" I shift around a bit so I'm sitting cross legged and facing her. "What did he want anyway?" Must've said something real rude, he can be a bit weird at times if you don't know him.

PA
He's about to take a quick neck pulse when the cold front hits and PA flings himself to the ground in a blur of scrubs and expletives. He scrambles upwards and out the door towards the supply closet, quickly returning with a ragged blanket to toss over his boss. "I don't know what else to do!" He says a bit too loudly to seem calm, mostly directly at Smith.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr. Smith
3/5 XP | 0:00 | 1-Armor (1-Brain) | 4-Barter

Wincing and with chattering teeth I avail myself of Bash's help and get back to my feet. This jacket isn't built for this kind of cold. Hell, I don't know if I've ever been this cold out here in the Gold Bay. Ice? Frost? gently caress. "That's a full-grown glom," I say to everyone. My first instinct is to reach back in there with the mental crowbar, and free Emdey, but I realize something. That's the wrong kind of anger; thanks Bozer. I've learned more from him than I ever thought I did. Emdey never asked me to take the equivalent of powertools to her psyche.

"Got a spare blanket?" I ask PA. "Pretty sure that glom just tried to ice me in the brain. It's a real threat to Emdey's mind as we know her, but it's not going to maim her. She'll be different when she wakes up. Might be better, might be worse." I weigh the options. "You can hard-KO her, right? That'll buy us some time to decide. We can let her and the glom do their thing and let it happen. Who knows what the consequences could be." I reach for a joint in my pocket, but am having a hard time grasping it. Fingers shaking. "Or," I say, holding the waggling joint, "I can try to separate them again."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Raven

"If you're going to try again, warn me so I can be somewhere else," Raven comments, coming over to join Bash and Mr. Smith. "I'm inclined to think Emdey can handle herself, unless you've got some reason to think otherwise."

"Is Crush still here? Might be she saw something that would be helpful."

Crow, meanwhile, speaks to PA. "If you've run out of things to try here, one of our crew took a fall. Nau Shan Shan. She may need stitches, and at least seeing to. Appreciate it if you or RN could take care of that."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
JJ the Savvyhead
0/5 xp, 4-barter

I spit in my own hand gravely and seal the pact, "the wheels will be of titanic sweetness. I set out looking for some helping hands today anyway. Know a sweet tech-dump, prime for scaving but I don't wanna go at it alone, was gonna ask Raven for help..."

I wander around the area until I stumble upon some freaky-rear end poo poo, "looks like we got some classic signal noise over here. You want me to put this brain scramble in the box? Straighten out those crossed wires? You all remember I got a giant 5 through 14th dimensional thought reverberation trap in my garage right? I stuck that one dick who was loving up my wires, and maybe my interns, in that there box. This thing doesn't look any worse. Reminds me, we gonna do anything about that dude? He's, like, still in the box. And people keep keep bugging me, wanting to buy him or something."

Priest the Gunlugger
1/5 xp, 0-harm

"I have no interest in political disputes, unless one side is a force of the Devil. Do you know the thing that calls itself Mr. Smith? Tampers with the minds of others? Has a disturbing unworldly presence? I've heard it's preyed on the innocent in this area before."

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Luka
0:00 (Pack 6:00) | Armor 2 | Berzerker hold-3/3 | XP ●○○○○» | Barter-0

BERZERKER 13 +xp
hold-3

Tension and worry and annoyance all melt into one frustrated "FFFUUUUUCK..." which modulates mid word into a deep throated snarl as I take the beast's form. In one smooth motion I'm bounding back to the wall, pack in tow. Fighting a Bandersnatch would just be stupid, but whatever these assholes are...well, now they're just stress relief.

Without missing a beat the Pack and I scale the wall easily, standing at its top and looking down at the crashed boat. The Pack awaits my orders.
I cough out a single growl, its meaning is clear. "Kill". We descend on the boat like land sharks - tearing through the hull, rending body and bulkhead alike. Is this fair? Nope. Did these folks deserve this? Probably not, but them's the breaks.
Seize by Force 9 +xp
you suffer little harm
you inflict terrible harm

Gained one Advancement

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
I owe y’all an update before I abandon my weekend to Jessica Jones…

Luka
The Pack greets your order with howls of joy, and the ragged folks on the vessel don’t stand a chance with their prybar clubs and rusty pistols. The smell of fear and blood already fills the ship, looks like something nasty had happened recently.
(Normal folks with 2-harm weapons and no armor are no match for even a wounded Pack)

There’s one jackass in the hold that you have to deal with personally, he held off the pups that cornered him with some sort of zap-caster. You’ve more experience than the young ones, and duck under an arc and gut the man. You see his coat is a shredded and soiled Order armor-jack, and the True Cross is scarred onto one cheek.

Then you gaze is drawn to the door he died in front of. Multiple metal plates have been welded over the hatch, reinforcing the rusty metal. This hasn’t stopped something from pressing long grooves into the plates. Something that doesn’t have a scent…

Priest
The speaker shrugs. “Yeah he was set up out back for a bit. Got burned out a few weeks back, last I heard he was squatting with that Saavy-kid and a Verb down close to the Splinters. He-” The guard is interrupted by the crash of an upper-story window shattering. You see a bloodsoaked woman crawl out onto the ledge, she’s familiar to you. Sammi, you believe, always comes to the Watchtower to make her tithe, and has sheltered Walkers in the past. She reaches out to you, choking back sobs.

“Mercy Sirrah! I beg your mercy and protection from those that would do me harm!” There are curses from inside the window and an arm reaches out to grab her. The guards on the ground pale and shift slightly. Their weapons aren’t pointed at you, but they aren’t pointed at the ground anymore. The speaker clears his throat. “I think it might be best if you moved on sir, we’ve got some housecleaning to do.”

Doctor’s Happy Place
Other’s grimace at the retreating Smith fades at your touch. “If you say so, I just think he’s a big jerk.” The neutral expression warms into a smile at your questions. “My dear, if you stop and think about it, there’s really no difference between up there and in here” she says, pointing at the sky and your forehead, “Its merely a matter of perspective. The drugs and injuries have loosened you connection to your Meat slightly and conjured this place to rest in. We can go back if you’d like.” She shifts slightly, looking off into the distance.

“As for Smith, he demanded that I leave, and even now he and the rest of the meatlings are plotting. But if you don’t think him a threat, I will cut him some slack.” Her smile widens, the edges of her mouth moving farther back on her head to accommodate it. “After all, we’re going to be together forever, right?”

The Infirmary
PA tosses you another rag-blanket and nearly leaps out the door at Crow’s request. You can hear him and RN arguing over which one should be watching over Emdey as they treat Nau Shan Shan in the next room.

Crush simply appears behind Raven at her question, looking a bit worse for wear. She shrugs tiredly, her breath steaming in the cold room. “My niece here is the expert on this sort of thing, I stick to things I can punch. Never saw anything weird anywho, she just got shivved by the tweaker next to that hitech genny, then she flipped out when she saw the fighting.” She pauses and then looks around the room at all of you, her usual confidence gone. “If you do do something, I’d ask that it not be too invasive. She has knowing that is important to… people I know.” Bash and Twirl give her a surprised look, but don’t say anything.

There’s a soft sound, and the snow-crystals in the air vanish. The room is still chilly, but no longer freezing. The sleeping form of Emdey clears her throat. “Against my better judgement, I’m going to give you meatsacks the benefit of a doubt. She’s too nice for you people. But if you try anything, I swear on Grandfather's name that you’ll not like the results.”

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Luka
0:00 (Pack 6:00) | Armor 2 | Berzerker hold-3/3 | XP ●○○○○» | Barter-0

So the thing with no scent is trying to get out!?
Nuh-uh, gently caress that poo poo.
I urge the pack to back the gently caress out of the boat, shifting back to man-form to strip the boat of anything of value. (did I get any goodies or barter or jingle?)
After I get all the good poo poo hauled back into the compound, I snag a few tanks of flamer fuel, rig them with some grenades, and work up a timer. it's really hacked together poo poo, but if JJ were here I think he'd be proud.

Half a dozen makeshift bombs at strategic points on the boat later, I kick 'em off, and sink the fucker to the bottom of the bay. I got no love for the Order, but some of the poo poo they tangle with is just wrong. I got no problem making sure that whatever-the-gently caress stays locked up forever.
I stand on top of the wall, watching as the holes punched in the thing's hull let in water to drag it under until there's nothing but bubbles reaching the surface from the wreck.

Don't know if you want a roll for anything or not, also my advancement was to add +mobile to the Pack.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Priest the Gunlugger
1/5 xp, 0-harm

I lift my sign, not yet my gun. They have not yet pointed at me, but they are ready to. If they believe they can shoot me from that position before I draw and gun them down, then they are fools. "This woman has asked for Sanctuary. I plan to grant it. If she returns and troubles you with politics again, then her life is forfeit. But until then, it belongs to the Lord."

These two men are no trouble, not with me and Teacher's gang. But if there are more, perhaps a sniper, then this might be a problem. I look around, letting the Lord guide my vision.

Read a sitch: 2d6+2 10

Which enemy is most vulnerable to me?
Which enemy is the biggest threat?
Who's in control here?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr. Smith

I nod. "I can't do much with the glom at this point without being...invasive," I explain to Crush. I'm not as surprised as Bash and Twirl seem to be. You've gotta be interesting to attract the attention of a glom. Just smoking a bunch of weed won't do it. But I'll figure that out later, I'll have to talk to Emdey when her consciousness is more available, talking through a glom isn't at all going to be productive. "Glom," I say, "I can make threats too. Cool it." I'm just getting frustrated.

Instead, I change tacks. Walk over to Bash, extend her some of the blanket - it's cold in here still. "How are you feeling?" She's why I came up over here in the first place...

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Doctor

The tendons in my neck bulge a little as I pull my lower lip back as far as humanly possible in decision. I shrug at her question. "I don't see why not. It'll be nice to have family again. I try to stand up with only my legs but after a brief splash of vertigo it takes a steadying hand on the ground to get to my feet. "So where's the exit? Maybe I just close this eye and open my real ones? If you say I'm in both it shouldn't be that hard right?" I start to think harder about it but that's probably counter productive here. I try my hardest not to move the muscles covering where my physical eye sockets would be while trying to flex a muscle that theoretically shouldn't exist in my forehead. Thinking too hard. Just close it. Just think of the Infirmary, and how PA is almost definitely trying to bail so he can narcostab his perineum in the supply closet due to the stress. I've found track marks before so he's very careful.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Raven

Raven purses her lips. This whole mess is really outside of her area of expertise. "All right, it looks like this is as in hand as its going to get. Crush, I want to talk to you, but I'm in the middle of a thing with Wombat, and there's a bit of a complication with the bridge I'm dealing with too. Might be we can meet up this evening?"

Either way, she collects her crew to push on with the task she'd been on earlier. Now, though, they've got an APC and some weapons. That should make dealing with the bridge easier too.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 30, 2015

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Luka
You watch the wreck roll over and sink into the Bay, and let out a sigh of relief when nothing punches its way out. You’ve exhausted PwrGas!’s supply of explosives, but there’s no kill like overkill. A hundred feet of water and several tons of twisted metal should be a good enough tomb.

Looking over the pile of loot the Pack has dropped at your feet, you see they have a fair bit to learn about prioritization. Lots of shiny bits of metal, but light on pricey stuff. Still worth a bit to scrappies. The zap-gun’s a fine bit of kit though, s’got a bunch of dials and buttons on it though so some testing might be in order…

(The Pack is optimized for quick-kill not quick-loot, so 1-barter is found and you have cause for pulling nautical stuff out with loving Thieves. You also have a raygun with no idea how it works.)

Priest
The pair in front of you pale further, but do not raise their guns. The speaker slowly moves a hand towards his tattered vest. “I don’t mean to cross you Sir, but I need to talk to the Boss about that. Gots a chatterbox in my coat, mind if I use it?”

Above you, Sammi has taken advantage of everyone’s pause to move further out onto the ledge. Two more scrawny men, red bandanas askew, lean out the window after her but stop when they catch your eye. Behind them, someone large is moving, and you hear the faint clickity-clack of a belt-magazine feeder engaging.

*The two at ground level are the most vulnerable
*The shadow with the big gun is the biggest threat
*You are

Mr. Smith
The unconscious Emdey simply blows a razzlebary at you Mr. Smith, and lapses into silence.

Bash accepts the blanket readily, although not all of her shivers have physical causes. She’s distracted enough that her walls have softened, and she’s far more freaked out by the Glom than you’d think a Weirdo should be. “Thanks, I was fine. Doctor just didn’t have alot of experience with headcases, so she wanted to make sure the odd readings were normal-odd. Was gonna head back to the Workshop today, but things have kinda gone to poo poo, huh?” She gives you a weak smile. She’s not happy, but she’s putting on a brave face.

“Although Jay’s right, we probably should do something about the Sith-in-a-Can before it gets unstable. Wouldn’t mind some work to keep my mind off of… things”

Doctor
Its an odd feeling, as the flower-field slowly fades away, replaced by Triage-3 and a gaggle of wary/shocked/concerned faces. Other is at the other end of the exam table, and she pats you on the knee and gives you an encouraging smile. You don’t hear the sounds of combat outside, which is a plus. You do hear RN and PA having a ‘quiet’ argument in Triage-4, which while annoying means that PA hasn’t yet ridden the T-train...

Raven
Crush tears her attention away from the groggy Doctor and nods at you. “I’m gonna be tied down with five poo poo-loads of paperwork over this, so I’ll be at the HQ for a few days. I think a chat would be lovely, stop on by.”

Nua Shan Shan is given a relatively clean bill of health by Doctor’s boys, she’s good to go as long as she doesn’t start fighting or do heavy lifting for a few days.

Outside, Merlin and Alex are as happy as you’ve probably ever seen them. They’ve given the APC the once-over, and even bribed some of the BeeMix to take care of the bodies. Its in good shape, although the pinnacle gun is running low on ammo. The missile compartment takes up most of the cargo room, but it will still fit the Crew, plus a few if they’re small or folks are cozy. Alex even pulls a few donuts, although he does complain the powerplant is a fuel-hog. But an overloaded APC is better than none, right?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
JJ the Savvyhead
0/5 xp, 4-barter

"Ok, well, nice talking to you Emdey's friend who lives in her body. I'm gonna leave now, busy day and all that. See ya around town!"

Once I'm out of earshot of that shitshow I turn to Raven, "so, like, after our thing we're gonna turn around and kidnap possessed Emdey right? Bring her to the Antenna and suck that thing right out of her? Also, these fine gentlement, T-Rex and Tuffboy, are gonna tag along, and maybe this other guy. Hey, Musk, you wanna come on a tech raid? Or stay here and help this most excellent of gangs? Or whatever you wanna do so long as it's not shooting up the place anymore."

Priest the Gunlugger
3/5 xp, 0-harm

"It seems you do not understand. She is The Lord's now. You would call and ask if he can steal The Lord's property? The answer is no you may not. If you call him now he will submit to Divine Will. Or he will not, and all of you will all be Judged by my hand. Call after I leave. Tell him if he has a dispute with the LORD he can bring it to Priest... AND YOU!"

In an instant, before they can react, a shot rings out from Protector. The bullet travels between the bandana wearing men to strike precisely the shadowed location where the magazine noise originated. In the next moment Punisher is out, ready to spray these men with the Fury of the Lord.

"Do not think to hide from me. Do not think you can strike from the shadows, or take what is His. Do not think your numbers matter, your tactics, your mortal weapons. I am guided by a higher power."

Go Aggro: 2d6+5 13

I want them to give me the woman without further protest, the big man should have his weapon miraculously broken because of a single bullet, and they should have renewed faith/fear of the Lord. Otherwise they will take 4 harm area messy AP. I didn't count xp for my last roll, so I'm at 3/5 now.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Doctor

I go to grasp the windowsill and stop myself about a centimeter from a jagged shard of what I was told was smash-proof glass. Shysters, the lot of them. That's what Grandad would say, except probably to their faces and anyone else who would listen. Finding a safer handhold I grit my teeth to get myself to my feet with my other hand firmly keeping pressure on the shoddy suture work in my flank. Once I get to my feet with enough stability to stay up I shuffle my feet until I'm facing Crush more or less.

"I'm going to go check on my boys quickly, after that do you have transport for my consultation?" Professional. Chipper. Bedside manner of a saint. I only stumble a little bit more as I stride with confidence towards Triage-4, sweeping the curtains so I don't need to duck. "Calm down you two, just had a little family pow wow after my injury." Just going to hope they can resolve this themselves, my presence should put them on at least better behavior if not best.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Raven

Raven gives JJ a bit of the old side eye. "Let's keep that one in our back pockets. Give her a chance to handle it herself first. And yeah, I'm fine with them tagging along. They ride with you though."

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Luka
0:00 (Pack 6:00) | Armor 2 | Berzerker hold-3/3 | XP ●○○○○» | Barter-1

I look over the haul as a few of my wolves bat around pieces of one of the former ship's crew.
Yeah it's mostly scrap, but I think it'll be useful for repairs and poo poo here. The weird-rear end gun though...hmmm. I'm gonna have to have JJ look at that poo poo.

Speaking of, it's been most of a month since I saw or heard from either him or Raven, I gather a small party (10 or so) of my newly expanded Pack, and with weird-rear end gun safely stowed and a bit of barter and jingle, I head up towards Scrapper's to see what's what. Oh yeah, and there's a dude Gozo wanted me to kill...

The Wolves have returned to Scrapper's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr. Smith

"Good to see you awake in this world, Emdey. If you want to talk about what's going on, you let me know. Just remember without expertise or proper understanding, you may not be able to do as little harm as you think. As it is with medicine, so I'm told." But then I let her go about her business. I can't force the issue. Well, I could. But only technically. I could shoot her, too, but that's not exactly constructive. She goes about her business, and I converse with Wombat and Bash. "So, Sith-in-a-Can. Head back to the workshop? Think we should try to further neutralize the mind, or further weaponize it? Either way should sap its force. My vote's for weaponizing it, we need to maintain our abilities to hold off the Emperor. You know?" I look around. "The Heap's a mess, but it's our mess."

• Locked thread