Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr. Smith
3/5 XP | 0:00 | 1-Armor | 3-Barter

I wave to Keela, she smirks back. About as good a reaction as I'd expect, really. Don't know her very well, but I'm interested that she's here. From my limited encounters with the Last Chance crew, Keela isn't in charge. She also hates not being on a boat. Then again, she has spent a decent amount of time on land, as opposed to the faction of the crew that refuses to even get off the half-tanker. Guess she's the representative. Or maybe she is in charge. I haven't kept up with them, rarely matters to me. Rather, rarely has mattered. I get the feeling I'm going to find out exactly what everyone's up to very soon.

And especially Bozer. Still got that mottled green jacket. Even less hair than the last time I saw him, but new sunglasses. The Order's got a hit out on him for what, three years now? Weird situation. Heard he killed and ate the Godfather of the Order at the time, Caius. All very casual-like. You'd think this would have aroused a lot of anger and violence, but oddly, you'd be very much wrong. The new Godfather, DeAndre, put out a formal bounty, just like all the others they do. And nobody's even tried to collect on it. It's not that everyone is that scared of Bozer; I doubt Lightning Jack, for example, is to worried about his capabilities. There's just something weird about him.

And speaking of weird people, I want to go talk to him. Always spewed bizarre philosophies about perception and the nature of reality. Now, I've got an unusual take on those concepts as well, but in light of what I've been working with the past few days, I think it might be worth revisiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
JJ
I betcha you’re sorry you changed into your nice overalls, what with the work-set having way more pockets to stuff free food into. You see that Last Chancer chick Keela piling more not-literally-finger-foods onto her plate than should be physically possible. You ever do any work for the Bay’s biggest navy? Looks like Smith is chatting up that creepy old cannibal Bozer, two peas in a pod they are. Emdey’s on the edge of the gathering crowd, she’s looking a bit thoughtful.

“Yoho, lubber. Be you Fix-it?” Keela has sidled up to you while visions of Sandwich Emperors danced in your eyes. Her dreds and piercings make her look like a pirate out of your books, you have to wonder if its intentional. This close she smells of bilge and diesel. “I be hearing that Fix-it has the knowing of all manner of ‘neering, you know the workings of a marine turbine? Be some swag in it if you do.”

She eyes you speculatively, and openly steals a blankie-pig from your plate.
What do you do?

Raven
You and the crew take it cautiously, and follow Nau Shan Shan to the hidden nook housing the mortar. Its rather cunning, the edges of the hidey-hole line up to your eye, like one of those pictures you snagged from MoMa for the Marquis. From it you can see most of the area around your base, it would make a good watchspot in the future. After you get rid of the booby-trapped mortar, that is.

Its sitting there, plain as day. Sam moves forward to check it out, but Crow stops her. Points out the fine line leading from the edge of the rubble to the device, and the primed shell still in it. A nasty surprise for the unwary. Nau Shan Shan grunts, and pulls her tracer arrow out of the wall, nothing but a scrap of cloth on the end. As you scan the area, you see a bit of paper pinned to the rubble with a knife. BE SEEING YOU BIRDIE it reads.
What do you do?

Luka
Grinning at the thought of your future new toy, you make good time across the Heap and to Scrapper’s. You were coming here, right? If not, its one hell of a coincidence. You believe in coincidence? You’re greeted by the sight of the declining market, and a ever-so-slightly nervous Spiral. He hides it well, but the fear-stench tells all. “Heya duder, glad to see you could make it. Market’s open if you have something in mind, there’s also food upstairs. Unless Wombat loving ate it all.” He nods and heads off.

lovely as Scrapper’s looks today, that’s not what immediately draws your attention. The crowd, even sparser than usual, smells of sweat, poo poo, and grease. Which is totally normal. But here, and there, you catch hints of… clean skin? Soap? Shampoo? Kinda odd, maybe Gozo is hosing people off?
What do you do?

Doctor
The stairwell is an open-air affair, but there are sizable concrete pillars you can duck behind for some privacy. Gonad’s ‘present’ is a small cylinder, wrapped in a dirty cloth. Uncovering it reveals a glass vial full of a clear liquid with some sort of metal top:

Holy poo poo! You thought you’d never see that word again, outside of the old textbooks. Its not some bathtub Sillin or poorly-labeled mystery-med. Pure Vanco! And the poo poo of it is, its not old! The ink is a little smudge with handling, but the paper is white and undamaged.
What do you do?

Mr. Smith
Bozer gives you a sad smile as you approach, and places his palms together and bows slightly. “Namaste, student Smith. While your company enlivens my day, I am saddened that you have yet learned to surpass you attachments. Blessed Nothingness awaits those that realize this existence is but a prison of flesh.” The new girl walk past with a fresh plate of mini-sausages, and Bozer grabs one and watches her rear end as she leaves.

“Granted, the prison does have its upsides. But enough preaching, I can smell the stench of the asura upon you. And some good poo poo. Which one brings you to me today?”
What do you do?

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 1, 2015

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Raven the Operator
0:00 | 1-armor | XP ●●●●○» | 4-barter

Raven studies the scene for a moment, doing a slow burn, then laughs. "gently caress this guy. You three, get back." Raven pulls off her gloves and pulls out a multitool Merlin fixed up for her. "See me, huh? Next time we see him, we're returning his little housewarming present."

The others all step back. Crow stares at her, worry in his voice. "You sure this is a good-"

"gently caress no but it's what I'm doing." Like the rest of the crew, she's gotten a fair bit of grunt work technical training. She's gotten some demo practice too, since they lost Khan. Some. More than none.

"poo poo," Crow growls, then grabs Nau Shan Shan's elbow and drags her back. Sam pauses take Raven by the shoulders and give her a shake. "You got this."

Raven gives them a moment to make some distance, then crouches down, pulling her mask off to get a good view. Carefully, carefully, she starts to detach his trip line and get this thing defused.

Act Under Fire (+cool): 2d6+2 10

Raven has a sore back, raw fingers, and burning eyes by the time she's done. But as she sets down the now safe round and winds up the tripline, she lets out the breath she'd been holding for what felt like an hour. She stands up, stretches her back, and waves the others over.

Sam runs up and bumps fists with Raven. "Ice loving cold!" Crow follows, shakes his head at his sister, then to her and his surprise, pulls her into a tight embrace for a moment. Raven laughs. "Hey now, save that up. This isn't a big enough deal to spend your yearly quota of brotherly affection on." Nau Shan Shan comes up last, giving her a respectful nod, then taps Raven's chest and points to the sky. No topping her now.

"Yeah yeah, I'm the best around," Raven preens, half ironic half relieved. "Let's lug this thing back to the firehouse and get ready for Gozo's meetup. Crow, remember to add mortar rounds to our grocery list."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
JJ the Savvyhead
2/5 xp, 3-barter, 1 +1 bonefeel
Hx: Emdey+1 Luka+0 Mr. Smith+1 Raven-2

I stuff the remaining pigs into my mouth and nod: "yeughs, yesh, yeah some folks call me that. I know all kinds of turbines! Wind, gas, diesel, know nuclear from the schematics. Could probably tinker up one if I could get the starter Uranium. Just a steam engine with a snaggle. Basic mechanical principals stay the same, boats just add one new problem with the water. Not hard to solve another problem. You got troubles with your ship? I once worked on Admiral Jezzup's rig. Re-did the electrical system, boat needs lights and you're already rocking a giant engine! Don't know why he calls himself an Admiral though, just the one boat. You need two I thought. Guess anybody can call themselves anything these days.

I've never worked directly for the Chancers but I have worked on boats before. Turns out living on a boat isn't that bad of a plan after the Apocalypse, if you can keep it running.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Luka
3:00 | Armor 2 | XP ●●○○○» | Barter-0

My stomach growls in tune with the beast as I make my way through the crowd. Yeah, I was s'posed to meet up with Smith and JJ here, but I'm running late because of that clusterfuck at Colt's. I make note of the scent of clean, yeah it's not the most common scent around here, but I don't make much of it...yet.
I brush my way past Spiral with little more than a grunt of acknowledgement, Smith and JJ's scent leads here, Doc's here too. Good to know.

I take the stairs two, three at a time, I smell food, and I'm always loving starving after a Change. I reach the crowd, wave to Doc, nod to Smith, and make for the shortest distance between me and the food table. In my rush, I bump JJ, nearly sending the slight mechanic tumbling save for my hand on his shoulder keeping him on his feet.
"Sorry." I say around a mouthful of these little sausages. I grab another handful of food and start looking for the drinks.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Doctor
0:00 | Armor 0 | XP 4/5 | Barter-1 | Angel Stock - 3

I. This is something. Granddad only said it a few times, I can remember three, but he said it with the most reverence I think he was capable of: Gamechanger. I've got an actual drug lab, I've got two lab assistants, I've got... whatever you call JJ. The days of people getting killed by infections could be behind us. I almost want to go back to Gonad but I can't, I feel like he'll somehow take it back. I need to eat, blood sugar's getting low and after whatever this meeting produces I have got a goddamn sick populace to save.

The bottle goes in a hip pocket. Really wiggled in there so no one's getting it without taking my pants with them, and that's not exactly something that happens without me knowing it. I do my best to make my way to the buffet without looking too excited. Finally making my way up there I don't want to tell JJ, he might get too excited, so I figure I should mingle. Luka's the only one who seems capable of small talk, despite a mouth full of food, at the moment so he's the target. I sidle up and start trying to guess the macronutrients in front of me while giving a few glances to Luka's plate.

"How's the healing progressing? I would've tried to disinfect a little but you were already pretty sealed up." I finally settle my eyes on a tarnished silver platter of tiny sandwiches, plucking a plastic sword out of the center and going to work on one.

"If it starts to feel hot, looks red, or just hurts for too long then come see me or one of my guys." My mind goes to the treasure in my pocket at the thought of him getting an infection, and I feel a little peace for once.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Luka

"Oh, hey Doc. Yeah, still a bit sore, but nothing that'll slow me down much. I've had...well, I've had a lot worse. My "condition" doesn't tend to let things like infections happen. You coulda stitched a dead cat in there and I'd be fine."

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr. Smith
3/5 XP | 0:00 | 1-Armor | 3-Barter

I bring my hands together; Bozer doesn't shake hands. I don't bow to him, though. He seems okay with it. "The asura, yeah." That's what he called it. "I've gotten a lot better at projections since we last smoked, Bozer." I look around, quickly. As expected, we have a bit of space, even as the room fills. "There's a powerful one out there, and he's really angry with Gozo. And by extension, the rest of us still in...prison. I think that's what all of this is about," I continue, gesturing to the room. "The good poo poo," and we both smile, "seems to amplify the effects of some experiments I've been running." No need to mention Wombat, at least not yet. Bozer wouldn't approve, anyway. "In a very direct way. I do remember our training, using the reefer to set the mental tone properly. This is different." Just gonna leave that there, for now. See what he has to say.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Doctor

I choke on my sandwich a little at his comment, and the thought of actually attaching a dead cat to his flank, and let out a laugh amongst a small spray of breadcrumbs. I guess it's okay since I'm not really caring for him anymore.

"So why do you think we're all here?" I crane my neck around and take in the others here, "I know a few people, including you, but I'm not sure what we have in common."

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Luka

"Well, a job would be my best guess. Or, they could want us in one place to kill us." I shrug casually, "don't imagine they'd spring for food if it was murder though.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
JJ
Keela snorts at the mention of the Admiral, getting food-bits everywhere. “Bah, just an old man play-actin’. But if you tink you gots the stuff, go to the ‘Cadero docks east of here. Lil’ Scurv’s got a beaut-tight turbine he needs fixin’ at.”

She suddenly straightens up, snarling at something behind you. She draws her thumb quickly across her throat, and stomps away angrily. Looking behind you, you see Raven standing in the doorway, checking out the room.
What do you do?

Raven
You make good time down to Scrapper’s, those bikes were worth the trouble. Did you bring the whole crew, or are you keeping it low-key? Spiral waves you in, not that the place is very crowded. “Hurry your rear end, chica. They’ve already gone through a month’s worth of food, the Boss needs to get things started soon.” A smirk defuses most of the bite, but you know Gozo’s waiting on you. Upon your arrival to the old conference room, you see quite the crowd. Including a Last Chancer that makes her displeasure with you known. Lucky for you they still respect the parley flag.

The food pickings are looking mighty disappointing, they’re down to the wilted greens and some wobbly red stuff. Much to your delight, a new girl comes out with a fresh plate of blankie-pigs, still steaming. As you reach for them, the plate is jerked out of her grasp and she’s spun off into a corner. A man in Before-style urban camo with an unhinged smile stands before you. “Ah, old Jack was getting fiercely hungry. Yummm.”
What do you do?

Emdey and Luka
So you both see Lightning Jack provoking a confrontation with Raven. You know what he’s capable of, does either of you know if she knows?
What do you do?

Mr. Smith
You see Bozer’s mouth twitch slightly, you said something wrong. He’s always been a stickler for precise speech. “Ah Smith, still imbuing your tools with more agency that you should. But I do see the progress you’ve made, and I will allow it to give me a small measure of satisfaction. You have begun to recognize that there is more than what you can perceive, and seek truth. Now once you realize that even the truth is but ashes in the wind, you will be ready.” He pauses for effect. “But be cautious of the asura, young one. They have used drugs and science to steal Enlightenment in order to rule the prison. If you waver in the slightest, they will take your reality from you and make it their own.”

He looks around, as if recognizing the setting for the first time. “Ah, but young Gozo prepares to marshal what forces he can. Such a considerate boy, it is a shame that this will all end so poorly for him.” He motions to the big table. “Come now Smith, let us prepare for what is to come. And if you wish it, later we can smoke once again and examine the cosmos.”
What do you do?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Luka
0:00 | Armor 2 | XP ●●○○○» | Barter-0

I stomp over to Jack and Raven. "Hey, you should apologize to the lady."
I figure he knows who I am and what I can do, but I'm not gonna go aggro...yet.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Raven the Operator
0:00 | 1-armor | XP ●●●●○» | 4-barter

Raven isn't keen on leaving the firehouse undefended with the Bloodhound lurking around, so after dropping off the mortar she reorganizes the group. Crow, Nau Shan Shan, Merlin, and Alex stay behind to keep an eye on things. Twirl and Sam go with her, though she gives them some jingle and has them buy supplies from Scrapper's. They're also backup in case things go wrong. Twirl because she knows the Bay, and this is a good way to get experience in a low risk situation. Sam because if something does go wrong, she's the best killer in the crew.

Raven gives Sprial a nod on her way by, then saunters in, fashionably late, pulling down her mask. She catches Keela's greeting, and responds with a blown kiss. Then the camo-clad rear end in a top hat shows up, followed closely by Luka.

Raven holds up a hand to Luka, calming. She looks Jack up and down, nods. "Man's hungry. I'm sure once he gets some food in him he'll remember his manners and tell the poor waitress he's sorry, and give her a nice tip for the trouble. We're all civilized people here, after all. Besides, old Jack here's not so starved that he's not willing to share."

She reaches out and very deliberately picks up one of the blankie-pigs, putting it in her mouth and chewing with a smile, not breaking eye contact with Jack.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Luka and Raven
Jack holds your eye for just long enough to be uncomfortable before giving you a conspiratorial wink Raven. His smile gets even bigger and he pats his stomach. “Ayup, I reckon the lady here has the right of things. Shouldn’t let even a powerful hunger get the better of my manners.” He pops a few blankie-pigs into a vest pocket and hands over the platter to Luka. “Here ya go hun, and could ya be a dear and let the little miss know I’ll settle up after the hootenanny?

He turns back to you Raven, offering his hand. “Don’t believe we’ve been introduced, formally like. Name’s Lightning Jack. Jack ‘cause my momma gave it to me, and Lightning ‘cause they never see me coming.”
What do you do?

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Doctor

When Luka stomps off I am left rocking on my heels a little, not really wanting to go talk to our pal Jack. I've never really met the man but I've treated enough fatally wounded folks with his name on their lips to know he's trouble. Time to awkwardly pan across the room to see anybody else I know that isn't Lightning-Adjacent, eventually just finding JJ and sort of Mr. Smith, as much as anyone can know that guy. Try to make some eye contact, maybe they'll come over, maybe not.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
JJ the Savvyhead

I meet Emdey's eyes again. "Hey Doctor! Looks like Gozo just invited everybody he knows! Also gently caress that one guy. You know who I mean. gently caress that guy. How many people here do you think have robots in them? I think maybe, like, 2. Once we get that scanner up we can get a good percentage on the parasite load!

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Doctor

I had started to walk over but when the question comes out of JJ's mouth it turns into a stalking speed walk trying to close the distance while still looking casual. I'm probably failing but I'm over there in a second with eyes wide.

"Don't you think that if J-Bla-...our patient was being manipulated by that thing then maybe we should try to have a little professional discretion? If LIghtning Jack is being piloted by wires up his spine then that's even scarier than normal!" I'm mostly hissing out these words but it's hard to keep these ones down: "Maybe? Maybe don't let them know we know!" This is followed by a not so discrete panning of the room, now imagining each of them being full of malicious wiry robotics.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Raven the Operator
0:00 | 1-armor | XP ●●●●●» | 4-barter

Raven takes the offered hand with a firm grip. "Raven." She catches the flash of recognition in Jack's eyes, and tightens her grip, leaning in. "Oh yeah, that Raven. The one who counted coup on Red Hand - twice. Who burned the Wildcatter's Great Derrick to the ground, with their Archpusher still in it. Gunned down a Ranger in the middle of Lone Star and walked away. Stole from Remy La Fleur and is still here boasting of it. Chased the skinheads out of Portland. Haven't put a dozen bounty hunters in the ground - it's more like twice that. Most people do see me coming, Lightning Jack. They just can't do anything about it."

She gives him a grin to match the one he gave her, then turns and saunters off to get a drink.

Go my Reputation roll. What he's heard is that Raven is, as Sam put it, ice loving cold.
Reputation (+cool): 2d6+2 11

Speaking of which, I may have just hit an advancement, and if so I'm going to take the Battlebabe's Ice Cold with it.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
JJ’s full-volume ramblings about robot parasites are beginning to draw some attention when the shutters over the windows start closing with a grinding sound. At the same time, a white screen haltingly descends the far wall. Gozo enters, leaning on a smart-looking cane. He’s followed by Old Cotter, who’s pushing in some odd device of mirrors and glass. The boss of Scrapper’s Market looks around the motley group with a wry smile.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, if you’re all done showing each other your dicks, maybe we can get started? Please, have a seat.” He motions to the big-rear end table in the center of the room, himself taking a seat at the head, next to Old Cotter and his device.

“Now, all of you have seen that bizness isn’t the best down stairs. Had some issues last week with dodgy bizness partners and some very public violence against someone I’d offered my protection to. So now I’ve got a hefty dip in confidence, and of course the standard vultures waiting in the wings.”

Gozo pauses for a moment, like he’s searching for the words, then thumps the table. “When I took over Scrapper’s, it was a shithole with the sole purpose of lining Boss Avery’s pockets with jingle. I got the zapp flowing. I got the Baybridge off-ramp safe for traffic. I built Scrapper’s into a place that the entire Heap could be safe using. And I am not losing it without a fight! He pauses, collects himself. “And that’s why I’ve gathered you all, I’d like to engage your various services and knowings in an attempt to rekindle people’s confidence in Scrapper’s. In short, I want you to conquer ‘Trero Point for me.”
There’s some rumbling from the crowd. “Intact and functional too, I ain’t looking to gently caress over anyone but the Cult.” The rumblings get louder. “Hush, I’m gonna lay out the deets. I’ve done my homework on this, and those of you that don’t want in are free to gently caress off. Cotter?”

The overhead lights dim, and a light comes on in Cotter’s device, and it projects a modified Before-Time of this part of Bayside:

“As you may or may not be aware, PwrGas!’s main stronghold is the old zapp-plant at ‘Trero Point. Rumor has it they’ve got some pipeline or something still bringing in the juice, ‘swhy the thing still runs. They provide the zapp for most of the civilized parts of the Bay, and the power and jingle has made them fat. And as long as PwrGas! is rich, the Cult of the Holy Generator will have the means to gently caress with you and I. So I say we take that away from them. Cotter?”

The picture changes again, another modified Before-pic:

“It aint gonna be easy. They’ve been swimming in jingle for decades, that buys alot of security. Most of its gone into that huge gently caress-off wall they’ve put around the place, 20 feet tall and a man can walk its top. Two gates, west on the road, east on the Bay. Flame-spewers on the top, I hear. Four making GBS threads-giant watchtowers with weapon emplacements the corners.

Inside, its mostly parade grounds and storage in the front. Those huge things in orange are juice-bunkers, I’d avoid them. The big cheese is in green: the actual juice/zapp converter. Huge-rear end building in its own right, lots of tight spaces. Three-hundred souls all tolled, maybe a sixth any good with a weapon. Cotter?”

The picture turns to an old man, well fed, dressed in luxe finery. Obviously a staged pic.

“This is Holy Stator Eugene. He’s the head of the Cult in the Bay, and the one that brought the teachings to PwrGas! Speaking of his head, I want it on my wall. Even if you bail on the big plan, anyone brings me that will have his pick of my private reserves. Taking him out in any attack would also put the morale of the Cult in the shitter, so there’s that. Cotter?”

The picture turns to a younger woman, covered in grease and working heavy machinery. Its poor quality and most likely a hasty shot from a hidden camera.

“This is Salliemaigh. Word is she’s the brains keeping the converter running, and bonus, she’s not much for the Cult. I’d like her alive please, I’ll need someone with the knowing if I need to step up and run the place.” He looks around the table.

“Which brings up an important issue. I’m employing those that are interested to capture ‘Trero Point with a minimum of harm to the facilities. And if that’s accomplished, they will be paid well for their services. But while I’ve made preparations to continue operations at the converter, if one of you involved in the takeover think they have the chops to run it, you’re welcome to try. With considerations paid to Scrapper’s for assistance and protection, of course.”

The lights come back on and Gozo sits back in his chair, visibly tired from his speech. He lazily waves a hand at you all. “So, do I have anyone’s interest?”

What do you all do?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Luka

After a moment, I break the thoughtful silence with a soft chuckle that grows into a quiet laugh.
"And all this time I thought y'all didn't know how to have any fun!
Me and my kids are in, but then you probably knew that or you wouldn't have invited me here."

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Doctor

I wait for a lull and put up a hand to try to get a little attention before I ask my question: "So before I, or anyone really, sign on do you have some sort of plan to make this feasible? I know you've got quite a few," I chew on a few words mentally before picking one, "violent professionals here, but it's not like we can just hop the wall and start murdering everyone on the inside. Speaking of violence, I assume you invited me for onsite medical care?"

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Gozo responds with a wry smile and a nod to Luka’s enthusiasm. The rest of the table is muttering to themselves, most likely calculating profit and loss involved. All eyes rest on Doctor as she asks her questions. Gozo nods politely. “Yes Lady Emdey, I am hoping that you would be willing to see that there are no more deaths than need be. Eugene aside, I bear no specific ill-will to those that live on the Point, and minimizing the loss of life would also make the transition smoother.”

He pauses. “While I do have further deets on the defenses of ‘Trero Point that I will share with those that are up for the job, I’m thinking that Mr. Novak and the others are far better at planning these sorts of things than I. I would like to think that part of my success so far is getting the right people the right information, and letting them do their thing.”

At the end of the table, Lightning Jack slowly rises. “While that was a mighty fine telling, and I thank you for the grub, I’m gonna hav'ta decline. The Stator is paid up for protection, so I would be breaking my word if I went again’m.” There’s some muttering at the table, and Jack waves a hand. “Don’t you worry, I ain’t gonna go tell tales. He pays up so I don’t do nothin’, ain’t never said I’d keep others from doin’ things.” With a lazy salute to Gozo, he leaves. Gozo looks annoyed, but says nothing.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Luka

"I had a couple thoughts I'd like to add first thing.
See, that 20 foot wall isn't too big a problem for my pack, but those burners up top? That's not a good time for us.
So the way I see it, We need some heavy as gently caress gats to take out the fuckers up top and those burners, not even all of em, just clear one side so my wolves can climb over, I figure Raven and JJ can get something together for that.
Doc should hang back to handle casualties with Smith, and only move in once the whole place is cleared to check on and question the Live target.

As for the assault it should have three elements.
The big guns in the back, with bossman, Smith, Doc, and the other support types. Me and my wolves will be yer assault element, and once the big guns can clear at least one side of the wall of burners and guards, we'll climb up and start the party, there's gotta be a gate in there, and we can open it up which is where assault element 2 comes in. Jack and any other swinging dick with hardware comes in that way and we clean that loving place out, bonus to whoever gets that old dude's head.

How's that for a fuckin plan?" I meet the eyes of everyone around the room.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 3, 2015

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
JJ the Savvyhead

"Ohhhh... I wasn't sure why you wanted me here. I just like to tinker with stuff and this big old assault thing seems like politics I don't wanna play in. Not that I like PwrGas, they keep loving with my wires and taking shots at me.

But ya'll want me to make you a tank or something? Some kind of rocket artillery piece? A Tesla Zap gun? Some dynamite strapped to a giant slingshot? All depends on the materials and the time frame.

You got the navy here though. You fellas already have some big guns right? You outta ammo or something?

Anyhoo, if I was planning this thing I'd just gas the whole place and move on in after a couple of days. Or I'd sabotage the line and watch the whole thing turn into a fireball. But you want it whole and you want some people to still be alive and that means bodies on our end. So how bout you let me know what you need and I'll build it up like I would any other order and if poo poo goes south I'm just a contractor. Unless you were thinking I'd jump in the plant during the assault and turn it off or some poo poo. Don't think you have a toy cool enough to talk me into that."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Raven the Operator
0:00 | 1-armor | XP ○○○○○» [1] | 4-barter

Raven's been leaning back in her chair, listening to Gozo's pitch and considering the angles. When Lightning Jack skips out, she tilts it back enough to put her feet up on the table, crossing her legs and putting her hands, fingers intertwined, behind her head.

"I like it. Ambitious. Impossible. More than a little crazy. Exactly my kind of gig." She nods at Luka. "That plan's got some sense. Place is a fortress. Only way to take it is with some kind of assault. Still... I think we can add a little bit of the velvet glove to the iron fist."

"First thing is, need them worried about more than one direction. Easiest way to do that is Bay side. The sea dogs can get their attention there. Don't even have to attack, just fly the flag at their doorstep. Worry about getting jumped from the back while they're trading blows in front."

"Now, as for my crew clearing an opening, seems sensible. Small team gets in ahead of time, makes some mischief. Cut some fuel lines. Then, when the battle begins, we move ahead of the chaos and grab this Salliemaigh."

Raven gives Gozo a big grin. "You can count me and my crew in - assuming your idea of well paid matches with mine."

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Keela scoffs quietly at Raven’s speech. “While I would not normally work with a tief, I savvy that I owe you my life Gozo. Azula’s Flame and her crew are are yours.” Gozo nods and looks to Bozer, and the old man shrugs. “If it is to be, I shall be there and do my part. If the Maelstrom determines otherwise, well, at least you won’t have to pay me.” Gozo seems to accept this answer, and gives a relieved smile.

“I’m glad to hear that. And Mr. Johnson I would not ask you charge into the fire, but to use your skills to aid the others and perhaps be on hand if the converter needs some patch-ups." He looks around the room, lingering slightly on you Doctor. "While I see the hesitation in some of you, I trust you all to be discreet: my ace in the hole is that I have a man on the inside. He’s gotten me most of the deets I’ve got, and is primed to give assistance during the assault. In addition to what I’ve already laid out, he’s said that the two gate crews are run separately, and have some sort of rivalry. They don’t coordinate and radio calls aren’t immediately answered. Also, the hard-head in charge of the converter defense has run up quite a tab Mama-sama brothel. Maybe he can be leaned on? And as for payment…”

He pauses to make sure he has your attention. “A pound of Queenies (1-barter of jingle) right now, on the barrelhead. An understanding that a handful of small, unimportant items may be ‘lost’ during the assault. And equal shares of the contents of Bunker #3, which my source indicates sits at 3,000 gallons of go-juice. Does that sound fair?”

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Luka

"That does bring up another small detail for me.
When poo poo goes down, me and my wolves aren't known for being discerning in our targets, and everybody in that compound is gonna smell the same to us, y'know?
but I have an idea that you might like. If you can sneak in something small, like a rag or something, with a specific scent that your inside man can wear and also one to give or plant on the tech lady you want left alive, I can make sure my pack knows to leave those folks alone..."After a moments more thought I speak up again. "In fact, my pack and I only really know the scents of a few people, so it might be a good idea to have 'Friendly scent' on everyone going on this little hunt.

But yeah, put my wolves in there first and I can guaran-loving-tee you that both gates get opened as long as you others can keep us covered from the wall assholes."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Raven the Operator
0:00 | 1-armor | XP ○○○○○» [1] | 4-barter

Raven nods at the mention of payment. The jingle is good. She can turn some of it into favors as well. That cut of the go-juice in particular calls out for turning down in favor of being owed. Time enough for that later.

"I can do some leaning on our debt-ridden friend, unless Mr. Smith over there would prefer to." She shrugs, rocking on her chair a bit. "So when do you want this to happen?"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr. Smith
4/5 XP | 0:00 | 1-Armor | 3-Barter

And Bozer's gone before I finish processing what he's said. Nasty habit of his. Other side of the drat room already. Did he tell me anything I didn't already know? I'm not really sure, but that's how he operates. I think it was worth the meeting chat, though. Gozo's presentation, heh. Slick, professional, and not at all what I thought was going on. Gotta think through all this. Jack's out of the picture. I can believe that, though Gozo should probably toss him some jingle to stay the gently caress out. Only way to be sure.

But here's where the problem is. While we're fighting the zappers, Ronan's gathering his army. The other problem is that there's three and a half people that seem to care about this. Me, Wombat, Gozo, and Bozer. Everyone else seems to be buying into the zapper assault. You know what? Fine. Bozer says I'm not ready, and I know that the equipment isn't ready, and the rest of this drat market isn't ready to accept what's going on. Gonna have to let the succubi roam the streets at night a little bit longer I guess.

So let's see what the deal is with this assault. "Ah, very good. I see everyone's already decided that I'm willing to help and on top of that, in what capacity. How excellent of you!" Flick a cigarette butt across the room. I already have an idea, and it has to do with the brain antenna Wombat and I are working on. "I'll leave the leaning to you, Raven. But I will do my part. My part, however, is not tending to the wounded. Wolf." Fucker. "No offense, Doc. It's not exactly my area of expertise. Maybe my methods are a bit subtler than a whirling dervish of a dumpster fire, but most of you seem to know that." I point to Wombat, and tell him, "I think we can make some extremely interesting artillery; keep you out of the direct line of fire, keep your hands dirty, and fingers sticky." Smile, rub my hands together. "Now, if you'll excuse me a moment," pulling the joint from behind my ear and stepping to the back of the room, I'm going to gather some intel."

Anyone over in zapp-land on my level? If not, poo poo's gonna get real weird. If so, poo poo's gonna get real weird. Hit me, world full of hate.

Open your mind: 2d6+2 11
+xp

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Gozo nods at Raven’s question. “Between my charming ways and cadre of hitters, I figure I’ve got about two weeks before the vultures pick me apart. So before then would be super green.” He levers himself to his feet with his cane. “Speaking of vultures, I’m afraid I have to put in an appearance at the Cliff House. Don’t want rumors spreading too fast. If you need any further deets, Old Cotter here has been my pointman on this, he knows what I know.” He smiles. “And he can vouch for those that want to get their jingle.”

He makes his way over to the door. On the other side is Sad Jim, kitted out in his traffic-sign body armor. There’s a quick whispered conversation and they both leave. Old Cotter hawks a gob into his spittoon. The wiry old man, one eye a mess of scarring glares at the lot of you. “So, ya gots more jawing to do, or do you want to take your jingle and get to work?”

Mr. Smith
Bozer’s ‘prison’ falls away quickly, is it just me or does this get easier every time you do it? You float up/out/away, until you can see the Shadow cast by the entire Bay. The hatred of 10,000 human souls stares you right in the face, do you blink?

Anyways, you focus in on zap-land. Its quiet there, well as quiet as it can be when you exist in a whirling vortex of screams. One or two sparks brighter than the rest, but only potential. They’d have to be awakened, right now they’re just a bud pushing above the snow.

But wait, there something. A tether? A link, to somewhere else. Like the haze of someone’s Shadow, that occasionally falls on zapp-land.
What do you all do?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Luka
0:00 | Armor 2 | XP ●●○○○» | Barter-1

At Smith's words, I scratch my nose with a middle finger, being about as subtle as a punch in the face. As the meeting seems to have ended, I stand up, stuff a last few sausages into my face. "I'mma take that jingle and get to work then. Anybody know if Razzes' new vintage is done distilling yet? Anyway, let me know what's up and when we're rolling, and I'll be there."

I head out the door and down the stairs, fresh jingle in my pocket, and a mighty thirst brewing. Times like this I'm real happy my specialty is pretty much 'point and click'

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr. Smith
4/5 XP | 0:00 | 1-Armor | 3-Barter

when the lights go down in the city
and the sun shines on the bay

you can see the motherfuckin' Shadows
and it's not so academic anymore, and
neither is it spiritual
metaphysics so i'm
told

blink not lest ye be blinked yourself that
isn't really how it goes but
it's how i go
and isn't that what matters
that's what matters
i matter
i am no longer
matter mind over myself

YOU SEE HERE A JOINT.
>>PUFF JOINT.
THIS JOINT IS DANK AS HELL.

I've been told that recognition is the strength of the human brain, what would take even Before's computers, so far beyond what's left at the Uni that it can hardly be described, it would take those machines immense amounts of jingle and zapp to figure out what one child's mind can sort naturally. And so it is with these sparks, these other brains that exist in the Bay. There's plenty of them, but it is easy to find what we're looking for. We? Me. I. I. I'm the one projecting now. Now still exists. Now. A tether. Do I have a hand? Grasp the thread, find it. And pull, slowly, softly. What sort of fish lurks in this black sea?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
JJ the Savvyhead

I've been quiet for a while. Maybe the longest I've been quiet in my life. My mouth screws left and right, my brow furrows. I let the presentation pass and people start milling out of the place.

The thing is, I can't see a way it doesn't go tits up. Any little thing goes wrong with the Brain Canon and the wolves will freak the gently caress out. If it goes just right it will still act like a beacon and we might very well have swarms of weirdos coming down on Support. If I just build a normal canon there will be a counterattack from the other corners to try and shut it down and the wolves don't have the numbers to handle all the goons. If Raven sends a team in first to disrupt them then that team will be right in the cross fire and the wolves will freak out in that kind of closed environment. If I bow out they won't have the firepower to take that wall, and there's a good chance the whole place will blow up, or they'll just get gunned down. If I stay back to run the big gun and then go in to try and fix the plant I'll end up shot. I guess I can go, but I'll need a way to bail when poo poo inevitably goes wrong.

The brain canon is a cool thing, and maybe it will keep the shooting down and then I won't have to fix anything on sight. It would have to work really, really well though.

What would it take to make a weapon that Smith can use to psychically attack an area with a lot of force?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Luka
You leave the conference room, receiving a nod from Spiral. Looking down and out across the trading area, its amusing how many people are ‘not’ paying attention to you and what lies beyond the door. You figure word that something is going on will spread fairly quickly. Now, you’ve got your chit for your advanced jingle for the gig, are you going to take your appearance fee as jingle too, or are you gonna nose around the market?
What do you do?

Mr. Smith
Fish? Sea? Yeah?

Yeah. The Smith-that-is-meat can work with that. The Maelstrom resolves into the ocean in which you swim, flesh the seabed and Nothingness the sky. You swim along the shadow-tendril/scent-trail, one of those predators with big teeth.

No, not sharks. Smaller. Someone wrote a song about them, its one of five that still play on Jane’s Girl’s juker. badumbadumbadumbadumbadumba-DUM No, focus.

The trace you follow leads you southways, meeting with others along the way, becoming bigger. At the far south of the Bay, a nexus. A vast coral re-

NO. Your ocean shatters, reality overridden by a stronger will. At the heart of the vast web of influence is a mighty tower of Dark stone, shining forth like a beacon on the hill. Shadow-shapes flit around it, ever watchful.
What do you do?

JJ
Hmmm, a Brain Cannon. A gun that shoots you in the greymatter. An interesting piece of engineering, that is. Well, needing Smith’s help is a given. And hey, you’ve just put the finishing touches on an antenna that can do things to the Maelstrom/Reality interface. Maybe you could use it to scoop up a bit of raw Maelstrom for power. You’d need a day or two to work up some sort of relay from your workshop to a mobile facility at the assault and make an aiming device out of your electronica.

This would certainly give you an area-of-effect psychic weapon, but its damage would be highly variable. Might give someone a headache, might explode every head in a hundred yard radius. You want fine control, its gonna take 4-5 days of tinkering, and a fuckton of jingle for high quality Mary Jane.
What do you do?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Raven the Operator
0:00 | 1-armor | XP ○○○○○» [1] | 6-barter

Raven waits to collect her chit last. Give her people downstairs a chance to watch what the folks who leave ahead of her do.

When she finally goes up to Old Cotter, she nods to him. "Let Gozo know I might be interested in talking alternate compensation, in place of that cut of the juice." She winks and saunters out, pulling up her mask as she heads back down to collect Twirl and Sam.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 6, 2015

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
JJ the Savvyhead
3/5 xp, 4-barter, 1 +1 bonefeel

I follow Raven out and nod at Old Cotter "Hey, he said 2 weeks right? Give me 5 days and I can get him a weapon that will gently caress up everything in that tower. Materials ain't free though. Labor + parts man. You just paid me to sit at the presentation. Share of the goods and the gas is for my work and my risk. You want the good poo poo you'll need to front me more jingle or my pick of the market for materials. If I'm on my own for the stuff I can't deliver quality."

Do you want me to make a super weapon or not? (hot): 2d6+1 9

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 6, 2015

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Doctor
0:00 | Armor 0 | XP 4/5 | Barter-2 | Angel Stock - 3

It takes a lot of jingle to start healing the whole world I suppose, whatever helps me sleep at night as I keep a hand on the bottle in my pocket as i collect the up-front for the job. Outside JJ and Cotter are having some sort of staredown so I keep a bit of distance as I walk by. I suppose with some actual jink in my pocket I should top up the kit, even more than just this miracle bottle, as it's gonna be a rough time coming up. Hopefully Gonad's still around since I really need some time to sit and let this all percolate, I'd like to get the shopping done as soon as I possibly can. Scrapper's has a way of wearing on you.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Luka
0:00 | Armor 2 | XP ●●○○○» | Barter-2

So do you mean I have 2 barter now? odd. I miscounted.

I pull up a stool at the counter by Raz, raise two fingers to signal I want my usual - local beer and two shots of brainkill as chaser- I put up the front of a man doing nothing much but drinking a day away.
Inside though, my mind is furiously churning through plans, going over the memory of the map, multitasking and sorting the scents of the crowd and the market.

I've got my jingle, but I figure I'll save most of it for Colt and snagging his most luxe loving rifle: I'm dreaming of poo poo like hi-cap mags, full auto, built in silencer, maybe some ap fuckin ammo. Yeah I need me a rifle, but that poo poo's for long range, hunting work out in the wastes. This job's a close up one, put the doggies in the box and watch the blood fly. The gun can wait for now.

My drink comes, and I drop a couple queenies. Shot, beer, shot, and a tap on the counter that says 'keep 'em coming.'

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

4/5 XP | 0:00 | 1-Armor | 5-Barter

I am strong but not strong enough yet, this is clear. Teeth cannot bite through steel nor stone, cast in the arc furnace that is a brain. This onyx pillar. This Nexus. Swim. Swim. Hungr...no. Walk back the tether, the line still holds. Still holds. Still holds. It is useless to (map -> reduce) this Nexus to a physical location, suffice to know that this edifice is not within our target. Walk the mind-rope, it tells you that much.

Draw conclusions, come down. Proposition - this Nexus is a temple. Proposition - the PwrGas! cult has nothing to do with this temple. Proposition - this is Ronan's temple. Knowledge: someone connected to this Nexus is in the zappers' territory. Conclusion - we're going to force their hand.

The real world: "Wombat, what do we need?"

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
JJ
Cotter gives you the stink-eye, but then shrugs. “Hell, Jack split and Bozer turned his down, so it works out.” He holds out the extra jingle-chits. “But this means you’re on commision, and Mr. Gozo will own this weapon of yours. He gets the bits and bobs once this little shindig is over.”

He draws the chits back. “Oh, and me and Sad Jim will stop by in five days, to get a test firing. Just to make sure your tension deficit doesn’t get to you.” He holds the chits out again. “That sound reasonable-like to you Fix-it?”

So you’ve got a few projects stacked up, you gonna put your nose to the grindstone or procrastinate a bit? Also, why is your scannermajig beeping for your attention from its holster?
What do you do?

Raven
You wait until JJ wrangles extra funds from Old Cotter before sauntering up. He grunts at your statement, the scoffs. “Kids today. Back in my day we were drat skippy to just get a place out of the screaming rain. I’ll let the boss know, it’ll be up to hisself.” He waves you on, more tired than annoyed.

You exit onto the landing and head down the stairs. You can see Twirl and Sam and supplies parked down at a bench near the base of the stairs. You’re about to wave when Twirl looks up at you, her eyes getting really big. You see her get Sam’s attention, the smaller woman turning around, confused. Then you hear the rough voice, soaked in rum and diesel fumes.

“ ‘Allo Tief. We be ‘aving a convo, yes?

Keela steps out from around the pillar, hand resting lightly on the hilt of her hullmetal cutlass. She does not look pleased.
What do you do?

Doctor
Gonad is indeed still at the little table you left him, humming to himself while rearranging his wares into a more optimal configuration. He looks up as you approach, smiling that toothless smile of his. “Ah little Doc*hack*-tor, you’ve finished your meeting? Come, have some tea.” He reaches into his sizable pack and produces his one bit of lux, a self-heating teapot, and sets it to work.

“I must remember to come by Scrapper’s more often, good business here. Moved almost an entire box of preggo-stix. Folks very uncertain about the future.” He pauses to cough up a wad of mucus. “Well, more than usual” He hands you a much-repaired mug with You ---- Have To Be Crazy To Work Here painted on it, full of steaming tea. “Take a load off little *hackhack* one. Pretend you don’t have responsibilities for a few minutes.”
What do you do?

Luka
You sit at the bar, doing your drinking and cogitating. You’re given a bit of space, as befitting the Bay’s apex predator. Not sure how long later, but the smells wafting around you are disrupted. An empty, clean smell, and its right behind you. Scratch that, its sitting down on the stool next to you. The new girl from Gozo’s conference room gives you a tentative smile.
“Hi. I, ah, just wanted to thank you for what you did back there.” Her accent is slight but noticeable. “Standing up to the crazy guy, I mean. I’d offer to buy you a drink, but it looks like you’ve got that covered. I’m Zuri by the way.”
The hand she holds out is smooth, uncalloused, clean. Not even traces of dirt hidden by her darker skin. She’s so… new?
What do you do?

Mr. Smith
The screaming vortices of The Maelstrom fade away as Meat-Smith becomes dominant once more. Are you more disappointed or relieved by this transition?

Anyways, Reality snaps back just in time to see Wombat play some actual hardball. Maybe there’s some hope for the kid yet. You can see the shadow of the Brain Cannon in his mind, its a thing of twisted beauty. You can also feel Bozer’s presence on the edge of your awareness. He’s not here here, but you know that if you need to chat he’ll be right behind you. Just like the old days.

So you’ve got a pocketful of jingle, and the opportunity to put some of your weed-fueled theories to the test.
What do you do?

• Locked thread