Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It should be pointed out that John Harper's mini-RPG Ghost Lines takes place in the same world.

quote:

On the Ghost Lines

It is the year 891 of the Imperium that united the shattered isles of the cataclysm under one rule — all glory to his majesty the Immortal Emperor.

You work the ghost lines—the electro-railroad that passes through the ink-dark deadlands between cities. Spirits of the dead, drawn to the vital essence of the living, often get entangled in the powerful electrical field generated by the trains. Line bulls like you walk the length of the cars, magnetized boots clanking and breather-mask hissing, to clear the offending spirits with your lightning-hooks before they do too much damage.

Each city of the Imperium is encircled by crackling lightning-towers to create an electrical shell that spirits cannot penetrate. By law, all corpses are incinerated with lightning-oil (to destroy the spirit essence within) but sometimes, wealthy citizens, heretics of the spirit cults, or the criminal element arrange for a ghost to escape destruction at the crematorium.

So called “rogue spirits” are also dealt with by bulls like you. For a fee, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So: a hack based around the idea of low- or no-powered wannabe superheroes fighting crime. Think Arrow/Daredevil/that upcoming "We Are Robins" comic.

Talk to me.

e: I'm thinking of playbooks like The Striker (DD), The Weapons Master, The Sleuth, or Control (the Oracle-type). Not sure what to do for crews, though

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 14, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Plague of Hats posted:

They're definitely "Teams" instead of "Crews." Ideas off the top of my head are: the Nine-to-Fivers (government agents), Outcasts (certain versions of X-Men), Fightin' Family (Fantastic Four) and Bickering Soap Operatives (Avengers, or really every team ever).

I was thinking more street-level than that.

NIMBYs: We don't give a poo poo about what's happening in the rest of the city. This is our goddamn street, and we don't want you superassholes doing whatever the hell it is you're doing or peddling your poo poo here. We don't care where you go or what you do, you just ain't doing it here. Get out of our neighborhood.

Thrillers: You know what the best thing about fighting gangsters and D-list supervillains is? The rush. Parkour-chasing thugs, dodging blasts from a laser pistol, beating up nameless goons, you loving love it. This isn't about justice; you're in it for the kicks.

Wannabes: Listen, you can't just go to one of the major super-teams and ask to join up. You need to build a rep first. Take down a few metadrug dealers, get some exposure on the news, that kind of thing. Stick with us; we're on the road to the Big Time!

Wronged: It's not about stopping crime, or taking down every two-bit thug or mob boss. It's about taking out that particular mob boss. And yeah, it doesn't matter who you have to ally with to do it. Ends justify the means.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

There's also the fact that the quickstarts are also public playtest documents, which helps him find issues a lot faster than he would in a more closed-off playtest environment.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

It's mind boggling to hear people saying that tinkering with a game post KS is a big red flag when Exalted 3E is a thing that should still be fresh in peoples' memories.

On the plus side, I think this is a new record for the shortest time between the starting a game's thread and arguments about whether or not the rules are good.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

Seriously though, ever since the final-ish Ex3 leak hit everybody who was actually looking forward to it has generally had positive reactions to it but even they're going "this really could have benefited from another round of people going over it and clarifications" and instead what the Ex3 team did was spin lovely analogies about Christmas presents and then when the first leak hit rather than embrace it and use it as as an opportunity to build more hype and solicit feedback they went "ugh, no more semi-open playtesting PERIOD."

I haven't been paying attention to Ex3; what happened with the rules?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

If you're not on the G+ group, then you probably didn't see Joseph Vandel's awesome heist clocks.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

:siren: Playtest v3 is up!

e: :siren: Rough draft, so it's not complete!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

For people who missed the kickstarter, John just put the current draft up on DriveThru, which will be updated up to and including the final version.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Have people been getting shipping notifications for the special edition, or is it just showing up?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

:circlefap:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The only downside is that it's so nice, I don't want to put it a game bag or anything.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

I think the tough part of people making good hacks will be playing with the heist - > down time - > find next heist cycle, and the territory mechanics.

That being said, I'm super interested in how the standard fantasy hack will turn out.

Really dig the dice pool and stress/consequence mechanic. Blades just hits a sweet spot combining some of my favorite bits of PBTA and fate.

Well, that and coming up with a new idea that someone else hasn't come up with already. Although maybe that's just me not being able to think of a good idea for a hack.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

Actually, some modern fantasy that's kitchen sink similar to dresden files/monster of the week could be interesting. Heists are taking down different monsters?
Ooh, I like that idea.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Now you'll have a copy for backpack tranportation and toilet reading!

I like to think of those as "walkin' around copies".

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

admanb posted:

Which one?
Toilet reading, duh.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

:siren: The SRD is live! :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Heads up to backers: John just sent out the links to the finished Scum & Villainy, as well as where the stretch goals stand.