Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
THE UNOFFICIAL ALL PURPOSE GUIDE TO SIDE-SCROLLING BEAT EM UPS

Thank you for purchasing one(1) "Unofficial All Purpose Guide to Side-Scrolling Beat Em Ups" for the price of $0.00. Contained herein, you will find the largest collection of knowledge on the subject anywhere. Probably. Highlights include "the origin of 3d gameplay", and "why can't I get past this loving boss fight". Information will not be presented in chronological order of release, or even by platform. But do not fret, this thorough digital compilation will take any willing participant though nearly every side-scrolling 2.5D beat 'em up ever made*. This includes arcade titles as well. Let's get cracking.

*Exclusions are dependent on whether I realize a certain game exists, and its relevance to the genre, but I think I have a pretty good grasp. Any games that aren't relevant or unique will most likely be uploaded as extras. Still, suggestions are more than welcome!

Important Notes: This thread pertains mostly to traditional 2.5D beat 'em ups and games directly inspired by them. Some strictly 2D or strictly 3D beat em ups may not be covered. Oh, and anyone else is obviously free to contribute, if they like!

Videos

1. Final Fight

1.1: The Slums

1.2: Subway Park

1.3: West Side

1.4: Bay Area

1.5: Uptown

2. Rival Turf!

3. Urban Brawl

3.1: Streets of Discontent

3.2: Bathroom Brawl

3.3: Rip and Tear

3.4: Big Murder Tower

4. Golden Axe

4.1: Road to Glory

4.2: Pet Dragons

4.3: Roughin' It

4.4: Scorched Earth

4.5: Death Multiplier

4.6: Death Usher

5. Golden Axe III

6. Golden Axe Myth

6.1: Road to Glory Redux

6.2: Downtown Slaughter

6.3: Dwarven Durability

6.4: Big Flying Thing

6.5: Mud Demon

6.6: The Beginning

7. Arson and Plunder: Unleashed

8. Fist of Jesus

9. Lucifer Ring

9.1: Valley~Forest

9.2: Remains

9.3: Cave

9.4: Hell's Gate

10. Renegade

10.1: My Way or The Sub Way

10.2: Bike Battle

10.3: Burger

10.4: Blowed Up

11. The Punisher

11.1: Scully

11.2: Compact Castle

11.3: Blood Puddle

11.4: Death Express

11.5: Sewage Time

11.6: Say Your Prayers

12. Tekken Force

13. Batman Beyond: Return of The Joker

14. UFO Kamen Yakisoban

14.1: Stage One

14.2: Stage Two

14.3: Stage Three

14.4: Stage Four

14.5: Stage Five

15. Iron Commando

16. Captain America and The Avengers

Scene 1: The Avengers

Scene 2: Target Town

Scene 3: Challenge from The Bottom of The Sea

Scene 4: The Giant Laser Cannon

Scene 5: The End of Red Skull

Extra Scene: The Super Nintendo

17. Streets of Rage

Stage 1

Stage 2

Stage 3

Stage 4

Stage 5

Stage 6

Stage 7

Stage 8

Analysis

18. The Shadow

Contributions

DeathChicken's no-death run of Spider-Man: Maximum Carnage!
dscruffy1's playthrough of the arcade-inspired "ARMIES OF THE NIGHT" mode from "The Warriors".
Fiendly's let's play of Splatterhouse 3, the second black sheep of the series.
Mateo360's let's play of the 16-bit Power Rangers titles.
Village Monk's playthrough of the Atari ST port of Golden Axe!
Village Monk's playthrough of the Atari ST version of Double Dragon.

Extras

A quick look at "Kavinsky", a beat em up made to promote one of the artist's albums.
A TMNT game based on the 2012 TV series.
An old video of a very bad Mucha Lucha game.
A 3d hack n slash heavily inspired by God of War.
A 3d hack n slash with many anime girls.
A bizarre doujin beat 'em up featuring many strange characters. Hope you like animemes.
A top-down beat 'em up based on the Utawarerumono series.
A 3d platformer/beat 'em up from a game series about neither of those genres.
The demo for a beat 'em up on Steam Greenlight.
The demo for a beat 'em up on XBLIG.
A 3d hack n slash where you ruthlessly slaughter puppet people.
A 3d hack n slash where you play as a woman with very little clothing.
The entire Saint Seiya beat 'em up for the PS3
A fan-made Streets of Rage 4
A Disney Infinity 3.0 level fashioned after old beat 'em ups.

Art Contributions

PBnJamo shows us Final Fight's experimental gravity reversal mechanics.

SelenicMartian watches Kettler plot his next move.

Miacis illustrates Adam's alternative to rocket propulsion.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I think omitting the arcade titles is a grave mistake, at least the notable ones like Renegade and Double Dragon. That said the NES port of Double Dragon is what a lot of people my age played as kids and is likely remembered fondly, so you should start with that. It predates SNES Final Fight by 3 years.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Ofecks posted:

I think omitting the arcade titles is a grave mistake, at least the notable ones like Renegade and Double Dragon. That said the NES port of Double Dragon is what a lot of people my age played as kids and is likely remembered fondly, so you should start with that. It predates SNES Final Fight by 3 years.

I'm not omitting arcade titles at all, I'm merely starting with the SNES and Genesis, as they have the easiest to digest variety of beat em ups. Arcade titles will get their due.

And I started with Final Fight because while Renegade and Double Dragon invented the beat em up, Final Fight had much more bearing on the genre overall.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 15, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Will you be covering the D&D Arcade Games? The first one was a huge part of my early childhood because the local pizza place had a bugged cabinet that gave you 3 continues for 1 credit of coins.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!

Night10194 posted:

Will you be covering the D&D Arcade Games? The first one was a huge part of my early childhood because the local pizza place had a bugged cabinet that gave you 3 continues for 1 credit of coins.

I remember those D&D arcades, and I love them :allears:
I'd like to think that Dragon's Dogma paid homage to them, but there's a certain comic book charm to those that I'd love to see again.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Please play Combatribes, if you can. It's one of my favourite beat-em-ups.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I'm basically turgid for you to get to Captain Commando at some point.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

If you ever get to Chronicles of Mystar I volunteer because I love those games.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
2.5D user submissions you say?

I few years back I did an LP of The Warriors which was a 3D beat 'em up based on the movie. It was a super good game. But they also had a post-game bonus which was a pretty nice homage to old school 2.5D beat 'em ups.

ARMIES OF THE NIGHT.

Also having Chronicles of Mystara and a good few other beat 'em ups on Steam where co-op is possible, I'd be game for some action there too. Man I love beat 'em ups.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Night10194 posted:

Yes, those are fairly essential.

Quiet Python posted:

Please play Combatribes, if you can. It's one of my favourite beat-em-ups.

Don't worry, that's definitely on the list. Both versions. It's an important part of Technos' history as a company, too.

John McClane posted:

I'm basically turgid for you to get to Captain Commando at some point.

That is inevitable too.

dscruffy1 posted:

I few years back I did an LP of The Warriors which was a 3D beat 'em up based on the movie. It was a super good game. But they also had a post-game bonus which was a pretty nice homage to old school 2.5D beat 'em ups.

ARMIES OF THE NIGHT.

Also having Chronicles of Mystara and a good few other beat 'em ups on Steam where co-op is possible, I'd be game for some action there too. Man I love beat 'em ups.

I had no idea this even existed, that's kind of nuts.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
May I advise God Hand? It isn't a proper 2.5d beat-em-up, but it takes all of its stylistic cues from them.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Valgaav posted:

May I advise God Hand? It isn't a proper 2.5d beat-em-up, but it takes all of its stylistic cues from them.

I love God Hand to death, but the thread pertains only to 2.5D beat em ups for a couple of reasons:

1. traditional 2.5D beat em ups are surprisingly underrepresented

2. trying to play every beat em up ever made, regardless of sub-genre, would be more insane than this already is

It's not that I don't want to let's play Beat Down or God Hand or Final Fight Streetwise, it's just that, in addition to deserving a full thread to themselves, it would probably literally kill me.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's Play Final Fight

Final Fight was one of the earliest beat 'em ups out there! Often falsely attributed to creating the genre, it was nonetheless the biggest influence. Virtually every 2.5D beat 'em up followed in its footsteps, and it spawned a hearty competitor in the Streets of Rage series. Equal parts painful quarter-sucking difficulty and strategy, you love it or hate it.

1. The Slums

2. Subway Park

3. West Side

4. Bay Area

5. Uptown

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 6, 2016

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Play Guardians/Denjin Makai 2 so that the FAQ I wrote on it won't go to waste as much.

Also somehow turn this thread into a LP for Dungeon Fighter Online.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
IIRC Tekken 3 had a beat'em up mode, which was fun for teenage me.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

dscruffy1 posted:

ARMIES OF THE NIGHT.

There was also a standalone beat 'em up game released for Xbox Live Arcade called The Warriors: Street Brawl. It was, by all accounts, not any good, and has since been removed from the service and rendered completely unavailable in perpetuity.

If the thread is interested, I did Let's Plays of the entire original Splatterhouse series. The first three games are pure 2D side-scrolling, but I think the third one fits into this thread perfectly, and I'll take any chance I can to prevent someone else from subjecting themselves to it (it's not very fun). That said, if someone here did want to suffer through this game at some point, I'd be thrilled! I love watching people play the original Splatterhouse games.

SPLATTERHOUSE 3

I look forward to seeing what this thread has to offer!

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
I already mentioned Ninja Baseball Batman in the previous thread but if you're asking for MY old favorite, I'd request Renegade. Yes, i do have poo poo taste in beat-em-ups!

Actually, NBB should be one of the last series to be covered: not only does it work as a great piece de resistance, it loses out in the one player mode. After you've set up MAME Multiplay and skype chats will you be able to give that game the treatment it deserves.

Watching the first video... who attributes Final Fight as the first beat-em-up? Double Dragon has years on that series!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Well, have the Maximum Carnage no-death run again, because I remain proud of that son of a bitch.

Also I hope to see The Punisher as that's my favorite beat em up ever.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

AnotherGamer posted:

Play Guardians/Denjin Makai 2 so that the FAQ I wrote on it won't go to waste as much.

Also somehow turn this thread into a LP for Dungeon Fighter Online.

Where is this FAQ you wrote? And Denji Makai was in the plans regardless.

Neige posted:

I already mentioned Ninja Baseball Batman in the previous thread but if you're asking for MY old favorite, I'd request Renegade. Yes, i do have poo poo taste in beat-em-ups!

Actually, NBB should be one of the last series to be covered: not only does it work as a great piece de resistance, it loses out in the one player mode. After you've set up MAME Multiplay and skype chats will you be able to give that game the treatment it deserves.

Watching the first video... who attributes Final Fight as the first beat-em-up? Double Dragon has years on that series!

I'll do my best to give NBB justice. It's certainly one of the flashiest and most interesting arcade titles, right alongside Violent Storm.

Fiendly posted:

There was also a standalone beat 'em up game released for Xbox Live Arcade called The Warriors: Street Brawl. It was, by all accounts, not any good, and has since been removed from the service and rendered completely unavailable in perpetuity.

If the thread is interested, I did Let's Plays of the entire original Splatterhouse series. The first three games are pure 2D side-scrolling, but I think the third one fits into this thread perfectly, and I'll take any chance I can to prevent someone else from subjecting themselves to it (it's not very fun). That said, if someone here did want to suffer through this game at some point, I'd be thrilled! I love watching people play the original Splatterhouse games.

SPLATTERHOUSE 3

I look forward to seeing what this thread has to offer!

Nooooo, nothing pains me more than lost beat em ups.

I will get to watching that soon. I did always wonder how that one turned out in comparison to the 2d predecessors.

Mehuyael posted:

IIRC Tekken 3 had a beat'em up mode, which was fun for teenage me.

"Tekken Force", yeah. It's where this lovely sound-bite comes from.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

DeathChicken posted:

Well, have the Maximum Carnage no-death run again, because I remain proud of that son of a bitch.

Also I hope to see The Punisher as that's my favorite beat em up ever.

I could add that link directly to the OP, if I have your permission. Partially because it's a great run, and partially because oh my god I don't want to play Maximum Carnage.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Hey, I like that game. It's just stunningly cheap. ;)

Go right ahead.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

DeathChicken posted:

Hey, I like that game. It's just stunningly cheap. ;)

Go right ahead.

I never said it wasn't fun, especially taking the music and web mechanics into consideration, but I already have Separation Anxiety on my plate.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Also yeah, Tekken Force was great stuff. Especially taking the weird characters like Dr. Bosco or True Ogre (who could just kill everything with his fire breath).

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Don't forget Captain America and the Avengers, if only to listen to the incredibly corny dialogue that ranks right up there with "Welcome to die!" After all, America still needs your help! (or whatever the phrase was)

This is really making me nostalgic.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.

quote:

I'll do my best to give NBB justice. It's certainly one of the flashiest and most interesting arcade titles, right alongside Violent Storm.

Errrr, I don't know where we stand because I consider Violent Storm one of the more generic Final Fight clones. Seriously: three characters, punch-kick-special-grab... And visually? I don't know what you're playing but the colors are all drab and the enemies are bog standard, with the women in particular looking like old crones in leather bustiers. Seriously: three characters, punch-kick-special-grab... NBB had SUPER MOVES. Command super moves even!

Okay, all these posts have made me look through Youtube where I rediscovered an old gem: Vendetta. Visually detailled, and I remember double-teaming elements in the game as well. Also, the presence of Hulk Hogan, who had the best throw and the worst 2 button attack (I remember these things, but can't remember what these attacks WERE).

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Digital Jello posted:

Don't forget Captain America and the Avengers, if only to listen to the incredibly corny dialogue that ranks right up there with "Welcome to die!" After all, America still needs your help! (or whatever the phrase was)

This is really making me nostalgic.

"America still needs your help" is exactly right. And I won't forget, it was one of my favorites as a child.

Neige posted:

Errrr, I don't know where we stand because I consider Violent Storm one of the more generic Final Fight clones. Seriously: three characters, punch-kick-special-grab... And visually? I don't know what you're playing but the colors are all drab and the enemies are bog standard, with the women in particular looking like old crones in leather bustiers. Seriously: three characters, punch-kick-special-grab... NBB had SUPER MOVES. Command super moves even!

Okay, all these posts have made me look through Youtube where I rediscovered an old gem: Vendetta. Visually detailled, and I remember double-teaming elements in the game as well. Also, the presence of Hulk Hogan, who had the best throw and the worst 2 button attack (I remember these things, but can't remember what these attacks WERE).

Violent Storm actually had super moves as well, done by Street Fighter-style rolling input.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Where is this FAQ you wrote? And Denji Makai was in the plans regardless.

At GFAQs, naturally. http://www.gamefaqs.com/arcade/924620-denjin-makai-2-guardians/faqs/33859

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I second that somebody needs to LP Ninja Baseball Batman as well as Battle Circuit.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I didn't want to make assumptions. There are a lot of hipster FAQ sites.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Neige posted:

I remember Vendetta very fondly. Some guy at the arcade got into the cabinet and made it give 99 lives for 1 credit. We spent hours beating the game over and over again.

There was the Boxer, the Wrestler, the Martial Artist and the Brawler, I think. Lots of weapons and ledges to fall off of and chaos everywhere.

I also find myself nostalgic for Sonic Blast Man and hope that Double Dragon Neon gets a video or two, if only to showcase its kickin' soundtrack.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Quiet Python posted:

I remember Vendetta very fondly. Some guy at the arcade got into the cabinet and made it give 99 lives for 1 credit. We spent hours beating the game over and over again.

There was the Boxer, the Wrestler, the Martial Artist and the Brawler, I think. Lots of weapons and ledges to fall off of and chaos everywhere.

I also find myself nostalgic for Sonic Blast Man and hope that Double Dragon Neon gets a video or two, if only to showcase its kickin' soundtrack.

The Sonic Blast Man games will definitely get a turn. I want to say DDNeon will as well, since it's the best beat em up I've ever played, but we'll see.

^And there were certainly some special things about Vendetta.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I want to say DDNeon will as well, since it's the best beat em up I've ever played, but we'll see.

I too was very fond of DDNeon, especially the ending. I'd also like to suggest the arcade version of Battletoads, which was mostly a beat 'em up without all the headache-inducing obstacle course garbage of the NES/SNES installments. It also features one of the Dark Queen's henchmen taking a crap in the background....which for some reason, appealed to me.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
:neckbeard: Yay! The thread has landed!

For the record, I'm nthing the eye twitches that you suggest Final Fight was revolutionary or ground-breaking in any way. But I'm still watching you play through it eagerly. IIRC, one of the things they did to keep difficulty up in two player co-op mode was to add more guys. In the fight with Katana, they give you two of him to fight. Which is nutbar crazy with that speed dash of his in that confined space.

I'd like to officially request we get as much of the Kunio-Kun series as we can. I was never any good at Renegade, and River City Ransom was the only other beat-em-up in the franchise to be released in the US. I should get around to trying some of the other ones that have been fan-translated. Downtown Special especially looks like it's basically a minor upgrade of the engine and then makes the setting Edo era Japan. Other than that, it basically looks the same as RCR.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

awww gently caress yeah beat 'em ups :D

I just picked up a copy of Streets of Rage at a secondhand store about a month ago and I was almost afraid I couldn't set up my Genesis since I don't have an antennae anymore, be able to play along :)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Haggar is definitely cooler than Batman. And just as much of a dick. Did you see what he did to that dude's car?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Digital Jello posted:

I too was very fond of DDNeon, especially the ending. I'd also like to suggest the arcade version of Battletoads, which was mostly a beat 'em up without all the headache-inducing obstacle course garbage of the NES/SNES installments. It also features one of the Dark Queen's henchmen taking a crap in the background....which for some reason, appealed to me.

The ending of DDNeon moved me to tears. And noted.

Night10194 posted:

Haggar is definitely cooler than Batman. And just as much of a dick. Did you see what he did to that dude's car?

Maybe he just assumes anyone with a car must be part of Mad Gear. He clearly doesn't have a car, and neither does Cody, or they would be running people down.

Aces High posted:

awww gently caress yeah beat 'em ups :D

I just picked up a copy of Streets of Rage at a secondhand store about a month ago and I was almost afraid I couldn't set up my Genesis since I don't have an antennae anymore, be able to play along :)

I adore Streets of Rage, I'm glad you managed to find a copy.

Choco1980 posted:

:neckbeard: Yay! The thread has landed!

For the record, I'm nthing the eye twitches that you suggest Final Fight was revolutionary or ground-breaking in any way. But I'm still watching you play through it eagerly. IIRC, one of the things they did to keep difficulty up in two player co-op mode was to add more guys. In the fight with Katana, they give you two of him to fight. Which is nutbar crazy with that speed dash of his in that confined space.

I'd like to officially request we get as much of the Kunio-Kun series as we can. I was never any good at Renegade, and River City Ransom was the only other beat-em-up in the franchise to be released in the US. I should get around to trying some of the other ones that have been fan-translated. Downtown Special especially looks like it's basically a minor upgrade of the engine and then makes the setting Edo era Japan. Other than that, it basically looks the same as RCR.

We'll definitely get into the Kunio-Kun series, and Technos' beat em ups in general.

And the arcade version of Final Fight certainly had a lot of issues, but it was still responsible for setting the standard by which other games would follow. I'm playing the SNES version because while it's not perfect, the enemy placement and gameplay are better balanced.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Will you be doing Warriors of Fate?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Someone needs to do a full playthrough of Growl/Runark. Preferably a blind playthrough.

If you know, say nothing

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I just watched the Subway level, and I couldn't help but notice that the And[o]re mook and the Sodom character came from here before they showed up in some of the Street Fighter games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Jeek posted:

Will you be doing Warriors of Fate?

I plan to, yes, but that depends on whether I can get it running the way I like. Even if I can't, I can torture everyone with Yang Jia Jiang, instead.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Someone needs to do a full playthrough of Growl/Runark. Preferably a blind playthrough.

If you know, say nothing

I'm sure I can grab someone to come along for the ride, if no one else takes it before I get there.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I just watched the Subway level, and I couldn't help but notice that the And[o]re mook and the Sodom character came from here before they showed up in some of the Street Fighter games.

Final Fight was originally intended as a sequel to Street Fighter.

• Locked thread