Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Aces High posted:

...that is terrible game design.

Then again that shouldn't come as a surprise seeing as it's a licensed game. Batman Returns was the poo poo though, even though the second Penguin boss was buuuuuuuullshiiiiiiiiit for most of my childhood

I think most adults would struggle with the second penguin boss, it's pretty tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Now Adventures of Batman and Robin for the SNES, *that* was amazing stuff. I think it was straight 2D beat em up, but still.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

DeathChicken posted:

Now Adventures of Batman and Robin for the SNES, *that* was amazing stuff. I think it was straight 2D beat em up, but still.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the Genesis one?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

No, there was an SNES version. It even made the cover of a Nintendo Power issue. I think it was Volume 68?

From this longplay I watched, the key to Batman Returns is liberal use of the Batarang. I'm almost certain I never got past the giant rubber duck boss.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 6, 2016

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I actually liked "Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu". That was a beat'em up where Cary Hiroyuki-Tagawa played the bad guy. He also played Shang Tsung in the Mortal Kombat movie.

I haven't encountered anyone else who liked that game, though.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Quiet Python posted:

I actually liked "Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu". That was a beat'em up where Cary Hiroyuki-Tagawa played the bad guy. He also played Shang Tsung in the Mortal Kombat movie.

I haven't encountered anyone else who liked that game, though.

I LOVE that game. I'm not sure why it was so disliked, it had plenty of variety and the combat was so satisfying.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Y-Hat posted:

From this longplay I watched, the key to Batman Returns is liberal use of the Batarang. I'm almost certain I never got past the giant rubber duck boss.

It's kind of interesting, I never watched a lot of Batman stuff growing up (seriously, I didn't actually see Batman Returns until I was 16) so the concept of using his gadgets more often instead of as a "gently caress you Catwoman, swarm of bats to the face" never really occurred to me until way later in life. You get so loving many Batarangs too

Then again, I was also very reluctant to learn things as a child, kind of why I hated fighting games :v:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's Play Renegade

Renegade is one of the earliest beat 'em ups ever made! It may actually be the earliest, and it was the starting point for Technos to create the much more popular Double Dragon. It's short, and it's simple, but you still have to know what you're doing if you want to win. We're playing the Master System port, which is a remake of the NES port. It's a bit longer and adds some new gimmicks to the levels.

Videos

.1 My Way or The Sub Way

.2 Bike Battle

.3 Burger

.4 Blowed Up

We won!

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 18, 2016

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

huzzah it has returned :woop:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Is there a story in Renegade or are you just beating guys up?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Y-Hat posted:

Is there a story in Renegade or are you just beating guys up?

You're fighting gangs to save your girlfriend.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Aw poo poo, we're back with a vengeance now! It's interesting to see the graphical difference from the nes to the sms here. I was never great at the nes one because of an awful level coming up, and because of how ineffective dodging ends up being.

Oh and you're right in ep 1, Double Dragon 2 did use that control scheme. Its lack of a z plane made it more useful there.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Choco1980 posted:

Aw poo poo, we're back with a vengeance now! It's interesting to see the graphical difference from the nes to the sms here.

Yeah, the SMS version is more like a remastered take on the NES port.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Renegade has to be one of the best-looking Master games I've ever seen. Those graphics are on par with what I'd expect from a Turbo CD or early Genesis game.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Rollersnake posted:

Renegade has to be one of the best-looking Master games I've ever seen. Those graphics are on par with what I'd expect from a Turbo CD or early Genesis game.

I do really love the style and detail.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

GamesAreSupernice posted:

You're fighting gangs to save your girlfriend.
A tale as old as time.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

.3 Burger

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

.4 Blowed Up

We fuckin' did it!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's Play Punisher

A servicable port of a far superior arcade game, mostly noted for its faithfulness to the original title and for its absurd expectations of the player's patience.

.1: Scully

.2: Compact Castle

.3: Blood Puddle

.4: Death Express

.5: Sewage Time

.6: Say Your Prayers

Say your prayers!

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 23, 2016

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

That maze in the last level of Renegade was the worst on the NES and why I never beat the game back in the pre-internet days. There are doors that actually take you back to the literal start of the game in it!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Choco1980 posted:

That maze in the last level of Renegade was the worst on the NES and why I never beat the game back in the pre-internet days. There are doors that actually take you back to the literal start of the game in it!

In the NES one? That's hilariously harsh. I think the Master System version it's just the start of the level, max.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

they made a beat 'em up Punisher too? Man he was in a lot of games for the NES

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

GamesAreSupernice posted:

In the NES one? That's hilariously harsh. I think the Master System version it's just the start of the level, max.

Yeah there were definitely doors that took you back to the subway station. Also, the graphics were mildly cartoonier, and more obvious that this was basically Kunio-Kun 0.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah there were definitely doors that took you back to the subway station. Also, the graphics were mildly cartoonier, and more obvious that this was basically Kunio-Kun 0.

I'm not sure i'd say they were cartoonier, but they were a lot more reminiscent of Technos's style... even if they were ugly as sin on the NES.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

.2: Compact Castle

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I wonder if Growl/Runark will show up here?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Bloodly posted:

I wonder if Growl/Runark will show up here?

Which would you prefer?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Growl. The game's the same, but named differently in Japan and US/UK. Arcade could support up to four players. Was ported to Genesis/Mega Drive, with the major change being one level being changed. Arcade suddenly turned into a platformer for one level. Genesis just made a new blacked-out cavern to fight in for that segment.

I became aware of it because the thing was on Taito Arcade Legends 2. Fun and frustrating in equal measure, silly, short. Can't record my XBOX, which is why I bring it up. I suppose I could emulate?

EDIT: Having just played it, I'd be a loving terrible choice. I am awful. What a surprise, right?

On that note, would Dungeon Magic count?

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 18, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Bloodly posted:

Growl. The game's the same, but named differently in Japan and US/UK. Arcade could support up to four players. Was ported to Genesis, with the major change being one level being changed.

I became aware of it because the thing was on Taito Arcade Legends 2. Fun and frustrating in equal measure, silly, short. Can't record my XBOX, which is why I bring it up. I suppose I could emulate?

EDIT: Having just played it, I'd be a loving terrible choice. I am awful. What a surprise, right?

On that note, would Dungeon Magic count?

I meant to ask whether you would prefer the arcade or Genesis version.

I'll see about Dungeon magic, it seems a lot less like a straight-up beat 'em up, but I'll put it on the big list for now anyway.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Tekken Force

Don't worry, Punisher is still going, just need something to pass time in-between video processing!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Huh, from the sounds of it I really need to check out Tekken 6. I haven't played a Tekken game since 3, so I didn't know they kept doing beat 'em up modes and improving them with each iteration. Tekken 3 force mode sucks, frankly, but it was still neat at the time that it was included at all. And the secret character you unlock by beating it is hilariously amazing.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

It's nice to see that outside of suplexing people Punisher is still using stupid amounts of ordinance. Makes it feel more genuine

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Rollersnake posted:

Huh, from the sounds of it I really need to check out Tekken 6. I haven't played a Tekken game since 3, so I didn't know they kept doing beat 'em up modes and improving them with each iteration. Tekken 3 force mode sucks, frankly, but it was still neat at the time that it was included at all. And the secret character you unlock by beating it is hilariously amazing.

I had fun with the mode in 6, you can use the stick for free-range movement at any time and use the d-pad for proper Tekken inputs. I found it was the best way to earn money in the game, and was pretty friendly with custom part drops too. I hadn't actually seen 3's Force mode before this, I hope we get to see the other ones during the LP as well.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Dresh posted:

I had fun with the mode in 6, you can use the stick for free-range movement at any time and use the d-pad for proper Tekken inputs. I found it was the best way to earn money in the game, and was pretty friendly with custom part drops too. I hadn't actually seen 3's Force mode before this, I hope we get to see the other ones during the LP as well.

I did a separate LP of Tekken 5's Devil Within mode, and I'll probably show Tekken 4's Tekken Force mode after I practice it enough to not suck.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

11.3: Blood Puddle

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

4: Death Express

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Found a halfway decent short video of Tekken 6's campaign, for anyone interested.

If this looks good to you then you should like, go buy it.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
There's not actual co-op, is there? Just an AI partner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Rollersnake posted:

There's not actual co-op, is there? Just an AI partner?

There is, in fact, online co-op.

• Locked thread