Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Well, have the Maximum Carnage no-death run again, because I remain proud of that son of a bitch.

Also I hope to see The Punisher as that's my favorite beat em up ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Hey, I like that game. It's just stunningly cheap. ;)

Go right ahead.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Also yeah, Tekken Force was great stuff. Especially taking the weird characters like Dr. Bosco or True Ogre (who could just kill everything with his fire breath).

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

King of Dragons loving ruled. Always cracked me up that the midboss looked exactly like Goldar from Power Rangers.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

X-Men was such a crazy fun experience just for people dropping in and out of the six person cabinet. Random Guy as Cyclops runs out of quarters, we've lost a brother. But lo, here comes another Random Guy buying in as Nightcrawler to save us from Juggernaut! Yay!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I never saw anything in this game past Abigail when I played it in the arcade, he was a giant brick wall. Stupid Bull Charge thing.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I want to say he just won't die at all unless he's over by the window, but I may be insane.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Is it Tuff Enough? I liked that game.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Or P.O.W.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I was playing X-Men on the 360 and...wow, that doesn't hold up at all when you don't have the giant multiplayer going. It'd be fun if we could all get together a video of that though (except I wouldn't know where to begin).

Scott Pilgrim holds up better. Or I might be biased since it's like the world's biggest love letter to River City Ransom.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Those demo discs were awesome. The first level of Parapa, the first level of Ace Combat, the first town in Xenogears. Who needed actual games?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I just realized that King of Dragons has those exact same club toting goblins in its first level. That's kind of fun.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Now Adventures of Batman and Robin for the SNES, *that* was amazing stuff. I think it was straight 2D beat em up, but still.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I think I only ever played the SNES version of this...which might be why I remember it being really, really bad.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

As the doofy magee who did a no-death run of Maximum Carnage, I would love to see your take on Maximum Carnage.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Well that brought back unpleasant memories of the lava chase stage in X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

And random Guile cameo in the background of the Freddie fight

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

GamesAreSupernice posted:

You should go record that stage and show it off for the amusement of the folks at home.

Well sure.

...why yes, Wolverine is easy mode for that stage. And nearly every other stage.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

You can do them as much as you like, but they all have different commands and delays. Wolverine's dive claw is just a matter of jumping, holding Down and attacking. Cyclops and his beam are a Hadoken input. Which led me to hitting the first one okay, then comically flubbing my inputs until the lava got me :v:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I'd almost think you didn't care for that final fight :v:

I might do a runthrough of X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse, if the captain doesn't mind. Entirely a 2D beat em up, but close enough

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Aw, they used the portrait art from the Facebook Marvel Alliance game. Which I sorely miss and am still mad they canceled

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Eesh, I did not recall Mutant Apocalypse making you restart from the beginning of a level if you die (and those levels are fairly long). This will take all of my vaunted masochism.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Well I tried mightily to add actual audio to this thing, but apparently my mic is crap and I could not remove a constant buzzing. So have another Captions On adventure. Wolverine Stage 1!

They won't all be this easy. Gambit's stage is okay, Cyclops is not terrible if you're good at doing Hadokens on the fly. Psylocke and Beast are rear end

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Well, Psylocke's stage involves falling platforms and her best move involves physically bouncing you backwards. You can imagine how that goes.

Beast is just kind of slow and there are a lot of those invincible robots. He can't cheese them like Wolverine can.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Have another easy one, Gambit. Now with less Youtube eating my resolution.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Have some Beast. Notable mainly for an epic flub that gave me flashbacks of playing Wizards and Warriors on the NES.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I suppose I'll do Psylocke's stage next, which combines all of the fun of Beast taking forever to kill things with falling platforms and enemies who can punch you off of those platforms.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Psylocke. Let's not do that again.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

And Cyclops. Who has a real drat easy stage as long as you can reliably get his beams off.

And now the game opens up proper! From the next stage on we can select our character. Pick one. We are fighting the Brood, Marvel's loving ripoff of the Xenomorphs.

I will say that they're pretty fast so speed kills in the next stage. Wolverine as always is easy mode, Psylocke actually has a fairly easy time of it. I will hate you forever if you make me use Beast here.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Psylocke vs the Brood it is. That...was not as easy as I thought it would be.

Next up is a boss only level, Tusk. Pick a character, they all have merits against him.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Fancy that, this is one stage Beast makes a monkey of.

Time for Apocalypse again...well, I've already cleared him with Wolverine, but feel free to suggest someone else (that will surely rob me of my sanity).

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I feel like they borrowed animations from the old Hulk game for the SNES. Looks familiar anyway.

Gambit vs Apocalypse. I hate this stupid stage.

Choose a character. Who gets to fight Professor X's busywork...I mean Omega Red?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Wolverine vs Omega Red it is. Who surprisingly has the hardest time of this fight. The rest of the crew can range him to a degree (or in the case of Beast, endlessly head bop him).

Who gets to fight the Juggernaut bitch?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Cyclops vs Juggernaut. Not too bad.

Now it gets mechanically interesting again. We're back to all five characters having an individual stage (with a boss fight versus Exodus along the way). Clearing that stage takes you to Magneto with that character...who has a frankly absurd amount of health and is not meant to be fought with one person. Dying on Magneto however still leaves the character *at* him, and he does not regain health between fights. So essentially it's a mass gauntlet, any X-Man you can make it through with versus Maggy until you win or run out of lives.

Plan is to get all of the X-Men to him and whittle him down. Maybe I'll do a montage (also the characters have slightly different endings depending on who actually does Maggy in).

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Let's start with the simplest stage. Gambit to Magneto. It's kind of funny, usually Exodus whups my rear end (in spite of Gambit being the only one who can cheese him). This time I got by him rather harmlessly and the final boss (who should have been cake compared to Exodus) kicked my rear end.

Also I have no idea if those teleporting Acolytes are supposed to be any particular comic character. It's something I've wondered about.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

You should do Fighting Force at some point. That game was so very cool. Don't recall any other beat em up that let you rip up and use practically anything in the environment as a weapon.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I enjoy the Turtles in Time foe toss at the screen.

Beast to Magneto. What don't I enjoy? This boooooooooooooss

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Psylocke to Magneto. Thankfully this is much briefer than Beast's slog.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Cyclops to Magneto. This took me awhile, that boss can shoot you dead if you aren't precise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

And Wolverine to Magneto. Time to figure out how I want to play this. The characters are all at Maggy. He has one health bar that doesn't regen between fights, they have all of their lives to run at him until he drops (dying just takes you back to character select, then straight back to Maggy). I intend to show off everyone, then their individual endings...somehow

• Locked thread