Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KapmK
Sep 19, 2013
As someone who has tried to play this series several times and never gotten past mutation, I want to thank you for attempting to LP it, and wish you the best of luck in completing it. You're already 3/4 of the way there! I'm looking forward to finally seeing how it ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KapmK
Sep 19, 2013
I recently started playing through the G.U. series again. It... It didn't hold up quite as well as I expected.

KapmK
Sep 19, 2013
I'm not really on top of the canon of the mainline stuff in the dot hack universe, needless to say the side content. But I vaguely remember seeing something in G.U. that said something about all of the data from The World version 1 being destroyed in a fire, which I guess would include the resurrected Mia, maybe? :shrug: I don't know. I don't even remember how the G.U. series ends. All I remember is that there's a lot of the arena.

KapmK
Sep 19, 2013
You get a silver grunty for beating the 2nd place time, and a gold for first, the first three times you do it in each town. But you have to beat your previous times. If you do really well once or twice, it becomes very, very hard to get all the rewards. The racing mini-game is a lot less fun if you are trying to get all the rewards.

KapmK
Sep 19, 2013
I'm pretty sure it's also stated that Taihaku, the sage palace emperor in G.U. was a dot hacker. It seems they never say which one, but one gamefaqs guide writer postulated it was Balmung. Onmi, the stuff you've written about the connections between the two game series is honestly more interesting than G.U.'s plot itself. I seriously had no idea Sora was Haseo. Actually, I didn't make any connections at all the first time I played through G.U., including the Endrance/Elk one, which is honestly just embarrassing. In my defense, I was like 14, I only played Infection and Mutation, and I thought it was just a subtle reference.

Endrance does kind of irk me, though. I'll buy that Elk would grow up to be a hikikomori, but both a hikikomori and a stereotypical effeminate gay man that literally walks around with roses in his hair? I'm not buying it.

After hearing about all this stuff, and going back and playing G.U. again, I really wish I could watch roots. But whenever I consider it, I remember the scene that made me give up on it the first time. It's Haseo. And Bordeaux. In a cave. Running at each other. Screaming. On a loop. For literally two uninterrupted minutes. I'm sorry, but I just don't have the patience.

KapmK fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 10, 2015

KapmK
Sep 19, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

It's okay, because Roots is complete garbage. You're not missing out on anything.

Then it's all the more aggravating that G.U. makes several direct references to events in roots without trying to explain them even a little bit.

Man, the .hack franchise is so full of interesting ideas, but everything they produce is hamstrung by the lousy execution. I can't really say anything in the franchise is great (except maybe sign, which I don't remember much at all), but it's all (or at least mostly) interesting, and not in the train-wreck-you-can't-look-away-from way.

Oh, and because I forgot to say it last time, congratulations on finishing the LP, DoubleNegative. I didn't join the bandwagon until near the end, but this is undoubtedly the best IMOQ LP in existence, and not just because you were the only person crazy enough to see it through to the end. I really respect the amount of effort you put into this, and your commentary was excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KapmK
Sep 19, 2013
I'd agree that G.U. does a pretty good job of writing believable characters, with a few exceptions. They do tend to forget they're playing a video game sometimes, though. They tend to conflate problems like "there are too many pks in the world" with problems like "several of my closest friends are in comas and I'm the only one who can save them" a little too often.

That said, one of my favorite things in the series is reading the message boards and talking to the players wandering around town. Whoever was in charge of writing that stuff did a really good job.

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah just ignore ROOTS. You can basically get the whole story from the GU games anyway. The only thing you need to know is that
1) Haseo was in the Twilight Brigade guild. Ovan was the guild leader.
2) Haseo liked Shino (his guild mate) in that weird pseudo-maternal way damaged anime people do
3) Shino gets Data Drained by "Tri-Edge" and falls into a coma
4) Haseo goes nuts. Tries to do an assfuck hard dungeon. Meets Harald in said dungeon and insults him, saying that he doesn't give a drat about Harald's daughter.
5) Harald zaps him and hacks his character, giving Haseo level 133 and all of his job extensions
6) He becomes a PKK known as the "Terror of Death". Goes a bit psychotic with his new power.
Rebirth picks up from this point.

Pi and Yata were the antagonists in ROOTS but that never comes up in GU so~

Wait, so... Haseo never actually got to that level himself? Everything was just handed to him on a silver platter? That... pretty significantly recontextualizes his character. It makes more sense, but it also makes him even more of a pissant at the beginning of G.U.

KapmK fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 11, 2015

• Locked thread