Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Abu Dave posted:

Show will suck once Ianucci leaves anyways

I've been a fan of his work for literally decades so I'm sad to see him go, especially because (like Chris Morris) he tended to disappear for a few years and then come back with something gold, but I like to think there's plenty of really good people working on the show. You see a lot of TTOI people in directing roles for the episodes, I'm sure that relationship will stay in place as he's not leaving on bad terms.

Also it's David Mandel who's taking over, and he's had enough experience of both HBO and improvised nature work due to being a big part of Curb Your Enthusiasm that I'm not too worried about the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Honestly, the show was already so different from TTOI that I don't think Lanucci departure will impact it that negatively.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I enjoyed the fact that some of the action for this took place 'off screen' (such as the breaking up of Catherine/boyfriend), especially as it reminded me of the sheer menace/realisation that Malcolm has caused the panel member to be removed in TTOI.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

e X posted:

Honestly, the show was already so different from TTOI that I don't think Lanucci departure will impact it that negatively.

All the new showrunner has to do is "not gently caress it up". As I said before, with the way everyone's personalities and rivalries are, the actual dialogue pretty much writes itself. Just keep the plot in decent territory and it'll be fine.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

precision posted:

All the new showrunner has to do is "not gently caress it up". As I said before, with the way everyone's personalities and rivalries are, the actual dialogue pretty much writes itself. Just keep the plot in decent territory and it'll be fine.

Iannuci is a hack if he's been taking credit for such an easy, effortless show for so many years. gently caress, why even write anything at all. Just lock the actors in a room and yell "ACT!" at them and the words will magically flow from their mouths.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Irish Joe'd again!

That doesn't work as well as taint reaped, doesn't it?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Irish Joe posted:

Iannuci is a hack if he's been taking credit for such an easy, effortless show for so many years. gently caress, why even write anything at all. Just lock the actors in a room and yell "ACT!" at them and the words will magically flow from their mouths.

It's my understanding this is how his shows actually work. :cool:

mr.capps posted:

Irish Joe'd again!

That doesn't work as well as taint reaped, doesn't it?

Also, Irish Joe sometimes makes good posts.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
No he doesn't.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

You can't honestly think that the person who didn't claim that "the actual dialogue pretty much writes itself" came off poorly there.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
That was wonderful.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Good finale. I would vote for Hugh Laurie a million times. It'd already be technically illegal since he's British, so that makes the voter fraud okay, right?

Also, yay, the title's gonna make sense again. We'll see how it goes next season. After some consideration, I also think there's a decent chance that there won't be a huge, majorly noticeable difference without Ianucci. Like I said, we'll see.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
“The rulebook’s been torn up now, and America’s wiping its nasty rear end with it!” - President Selina Meyer

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

mr.capps posted:

No he doesn't.

He does in threads that aren't so goddamn trollable.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

This is like showing up with year old news, but I just watched the debate episode in season three. Literally crying with laughter.

The riff on "Repel" is great, but somehow topped by that epic floundering about holes. So good.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Jonah loves ballons.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Is ... Is this actually a real thing? Can a real-life presidential election end in a loving tie?

I really need more of that scene where Jonah tries out his best standup material and bombs horribly.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Illinois Smith posted:

Is ... Is this actually a real thing? Can a real-life presidential election end in a loving tie?

I really need more of that scene where Jonah tries out his best standup material and bombs horribly.

It is certainly possible. How this would actually work is, hypothetically, outlined well by this episode. How it would work in reality is anyone's guess, as it has literally never happened.

Well, it sort of happened in 1800, but that was before either the Twelfth or Twentieth Amendments were ratified.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 15, 2015

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Illinois Smith posted:

Yeah, it's kinda dumb that there's an even number of electoral votes. There's even plausible scenarios for it happening.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Illinois Smith posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHEDXzOfENI

Our system is really dumb.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Selina breaking down and rushing into Amy's arms was touching and hilariously awkward at the same time.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
haha it's an even bigger clusterfuck than I had assumed after watching the episode.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Illinois Smith posted:

haha it's an even bigger clusterfuck than I had assumed after watching the episode.

Don't worry, there will never be an electoral tie because there will always be one douchebag in the college who votes the wrong way to get in the history books.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Wait, what? Did Tom actually realise that that was a possible outcome? Or did it just come as a surprise to everyone?

Great finale. Also any CGPGrey video is gold. He's brilliant.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

pentyne posted:

Selina breaking down and rushing into Amy's arms was touching and hilariously awkward at the same time.

one thing I like about this show is that even though the people on veep are even more broken and arguably a bit worse than those on the TTOI, more of the characters here do actually kinda like each other and care for one another.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

thehustler posted:

Wait, what? Did Tom actually realise that that was a possible outcome? Or did it just come as a surprise to everyone?

Great finale. Also any CGPGrey video is gold. He's brilliant.

He came off to me like he knew.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Henchman of Santa posted:

He came off to me like he knew.

I'd buy that he knew it could happen but this is such an absurd scenario that betting on it would be certifiably insane.

I mean, he'd clearly have better odds on the assumption Selina would get shot.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Someone painted Sue's eyebrows on waaaaay too high.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vanderdeath posted:

I've been laughing at "The Cloud Botherer" for the last few days off and on. It's so...whimsical.
All the names were great but this one made me laugh out loud. It's so harmless compared to something like Trandgenderformer but somehow meaner

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

made me think of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYJ97WcOde4

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo, I thought I had a pretty decent understanding of the American electoral system so the moment they started explaining it I was "oh yeah that's probably totally how it works" but seeing it explained in the CGP video still blew my mind in its awfulness. Goddamn.

Anyway, this was a great finale for a pretty good season of Veep. I'd say 2 was my favorite overall but there aren't really huge gaps in quality between them so this is almost as good. It's really amazing how this show manages to cram so many amazing lines while still keeping the characters realistic and emotional.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
This whole scrotum situation is really working out for you, sir! :)

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, it's kinda dumb that there's an even number of electoral votes. There's even plausible scenarios for it happening.

I wish they went with this map over one that had the retardation of Minnesota going Republican while Wisconsin remained Democratic. No wonder not-Nate Silver was flipping out.

That said, as unlikely as a tie occurring would be, the thought that there would also be a tie in the house delegation count is just dumb. If its close enough to be tied at the electoral level then it is hard to imagine the Republicans not having a majority of state delegations.

Sorry for letting real life get in the way of TV land but when TV land includes fake CNN broadcasts its sort of asking for it.

edit: Except they couldn't go with that map, due to redistricting. Hmm. Romney plus FL, OH, IA, WI would do it.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 16, 2015

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I personally elect (heh, a lil humor for us) to not let these things bother, detract, or distract from my enjoyment of Veep, an HBO comedy series.

To each their own though! This is America after all!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The House bipartisanly loves Tom James so much that they purposefully stay deadlocked so he can be president. There.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
The best part about an electoral tie scenario, as described in that video, is that you could get a president and VP from different parties.

Imagine how hosed Selena would be then.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Just finished season three. What in the actual gently caress.

No idea what to make of the last two episodes - some great moments (squeaky shoes) but I really felt the narrative whiplash and not in a good way.

So Selina does well in the debate (they talk about her coming in 2nd) and then she's in freefall because Thornhill won Iowa? And then their campaign disintegrates in like five minutes... only to rise back up due to the POTUS situation?

I get what they were going for, and it all makes sense if I step back and think about it. But the pacing felt really strange and off-putting.

Ah well, all worth it for the Gary/Selena bathroom bit.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Small White Dragon posted:

The best part about an electoral tie scenario, as described in that video, is that you could get a president and VP from different parties.

Imagine how hosed Selena would be then.
I was hoping going into the episode that this is how it would happen, especially with the talk that Hugh Laurie didn't want to be a regular. But it sounds like the Senate in the Veep world is Democratic and Tom James is considered a lock, so who knows.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
That was, for me, the best episode they've ever done. Selina's meltdowns, Sue intervening with Amy, "what happens if there's a tie?", the Nate Silver TV goon, Jonah's stand up...all of it was glorious.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Can the VP actually hold a cabinet position in the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I wonder how many high level US politicians also had no idea you could tie an electoral vote

• Locked thread