Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fetus Tree posted:

so what is TTOI
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thick_of_It

If you like the nastier parts of VEEP, you'll love this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Man I can't remember a funnier TV character than Mike McClintok. Every line he has is awesome, his lip stretching bit had me going nuts. The boat poo poo, the cow comment to the childcare lady last season (with goober peas song!), and a hundred other funny bits I am forgetting...he is so great

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I finally got all caught up on Veep, this and Silicon Valley are my shows. The back and forth between everyone kills me. Especially the hatred thrown at Jonah every episode.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I really wish this show was an hour. I think the cast has gotten too large, which is ashamed because they're all great. If I had to cut anyone, it would be Jonah and Gary.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Ego-bot posted:

If I had to cut anyone, it would be Jonah and Gary.
You're insane.

Fetus Tree posted:

so what is TTOI
Imagine Veep but it takes place in London, Mike is good at his job and being played by the new Doctor Who guy who's channeling Satan himself and everyone else is terrified of him. Oh, and the rest of the characters are mostly ministers and their staff so it's a bit smaller in scale.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Illinois Smith posted:

You're insane.

Imagine Veep but it takes place in London, Mike is good at his job and being played by the new Doctor Who guy who's channeling Satan himself and everyone else is terrified of him. Oh, and the rest of the characters are mostly ministers and their staff so it's a bit smaller in scale.

Funny, I always saw Ben as closer to Malcolm.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I only mentioned Mike because they (at least by title) have the same job.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Illinois Smith posted:

I only mentioned Mike because they (at least by title) have the same job.

Ha, I suppose that's true. Malcolm's job always seemed to be more the guy who just yelled at whoever needed yelling at, almost forgot he's technically there to handle the press.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I always took him to be the PM's enforcer (because thats what he was) so in that sense his clearest analogue was seasons one and two Jonah. Except competent, intelligent and with real power.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Superficially, Dan is easily the closest Veep has to Malcolm.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER
Yeah, how on earth are you seeing Jonah as the "enforcer"?

I'm actually quite thankful that Veep ins't just TTOI directly copied over. The systems of government are different, and we have different issues than the Brits do.

If anyone hasn't seen "The French Minister" watch it asap. It's slightly dated for a movie that came out in 2013, but still hilarious and totally worth your time.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
The difference is that in the US system the various 'ministers' (secretaries) do not have as much of a press footprint, with the exception of the SecState and SecDef maybe. So when the white house decides on a line to take with the press the main job of the press sec. is to communicate said line directly to the press and make that rather than something else the focus. Whereas in the British system the ministers are all seen as more important and a bit more independent so when a line is decided on angry Scotsmen are dispatched to keep the ministers in said line with violent sexual imagery.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Smashurbanipal posted:

Yeah, how on earth are you seeing Jonah as the "enforcer"?

Because he brought them news of what the president wanted them doing. In essence he was giving them orders on what to do in those episodes just like Malcolm was in TToI.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Orange Devil posted:

angry Scotsmen are dispatched to keep the ministers in said line with violent sexual imagery.

This brings back memories of the episode where they show the PM's office and it's just dozens of pissed-off Malcolm Tuckers swearing into their phones about loving people so hard that their dicks would wear the guy's appendix as a hat :allears:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I love this show. Weird twist this episode, Selena on coke? And I didn't see much reaction from the rest of the cast; it must be a whole-season-arc thing.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Jonah on that speakerphone was ridiculously funny, especially when Catherine popped in.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
"I feel like I'm on a life support machine and they keep pulling the plug to charge their phones"

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
That honestly sounds like a quote sourced from an actual career politician.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ultramiraculous posted:

"I feel like I'm on a life support machine and they keep pulling the plug to charge their phones"

Amy was on fire this episode. "Go back in time and make that not happen" is not a great line, but her delivery had me in stitches.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Aliquid posted:

Weird twist this episode, Selena on coke?
I thought she was just super excited because the trip was going so well and it was a small break from everyone around her constantly loving up.

PostNouveau posted:

Amy was on fire this episode.
the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing and the freakish middle hand is punchig me repeatedly in the tits

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 12:22 on May 4, 2015

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I can't buy a boarding pass with miniature bottles of Jack Daniels.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"We'll talk about the molestation later" "What?"

Or whatever the line was. Great episode.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

The jokes that always make me laugh hardest in Veep and The Thick of It are the absurdist word-pictures where the mental image comes a second or two after the line. In this ep, it was "I'm supposed to have my finger on the button, but it's like they re-wired it to a lightbulb in a closet somewhere" that had me hitting pause to guffaw.

I get the feeling these type of lines come mainly from Ianucci (there were a lot fewer successful ones in the final series of TToI where he had less involvement because he was off making the first season of Veep)

I think the reason Ben is my favourite character is because he's a font of those lines, where most of the laughs from the other characters come from creative ways of saying "gently caress off, I don't like or respect you."

Matinee fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 4, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Aliquid posted:

I love this show. Weird twist this episode, Selena on coke? And I didn't see much reaction from the rest of the cast; it must be a whole-season-arc thing.

I actually got the same feeling. She took a sudden trip to the bathroom that ended immediately, she wasn't hungry despite not eating for quite some time, she did the classic rub-nose-and-sniff thing, she was hyperactive to the point of mania... by the time she was getting off the plane her eye was twitching and she was snippy with Catherine in a way that's remarkably cold even for Selena's usual treatment of her. It's all pretty classic signs.

Also Diedrich Bader was loving hilarious last night.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Watching the first scene again and yeah, it really seems to imply she's on something.

Her reaction to Catherine's engagement seemed perfectly normal for her though, just immediately making it about herself. "You're not getting engaged, I'm only 48!"

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I actually said she was acting like she was high to my friend. I was assuming that the episode would be about people thinking she was high when she really wasn't but that all went away pretty quickly.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
This episode was perfect

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The VP reading the speech and trying to make it seem like it wasn't from the perspective of a woman was absolute gold.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Stare-Out posted:

The VP reading the speech and trying to make it seem like it wasn't from the perspective of a woman was absolute gold.

"My... girlfriends... I mean boyfriends... girlfriends and boyfriends..."

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

precision posted:

Yeah it's pretty amazing how good the writing is FOR EVERY CHARACTER. This episode juggled, what, 15 or so characters? And from main to supporting to guest stars, and they ALL had a funny line or moment. I died when they essentially took the journalist hostage on Air Force 1 right after rescueing him from being a hostage in a foreign country. I had to pause the episode I was laughing so hard.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

precision posted:

it was my gay friends who taught me how to dance to Madonna

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I was half-expecting Selina to ask Amy why Karen was there. I hope Karen is just an old friend of hers who decided to glom onto her Presidency and the entire staff lets her be there because nobody wants to be caught not knowing about something.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

I was half-expecting Selina to ask Amy why Karen was there. I hope Karen is just an old friend of hers who decided to glom onto her Presidency and the entire staff lets her be there because nobody wants to be caught not knowing about something.

Wasn't Selina confessing to Ben about how he was being replaced by Karen in the earlier scene? I felt bad for Ben until he started snoring in the middle of her "let him down gently" speech. Karen will probably threaten everyone's sense of competency and they'll try to sabotage her.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Dazerbeams posted:

Wasn't Selina confessing to Ben about how he was being replaced by Karen in the earlier scene? I felt bad for Ben until he started snoring in the middle of her "let him down gently" speech. Karen will probably threaten everyone's sense of competency and they'll try to sabotage her.

This is correct.

Also to whoever mentioned when they re-detained the journalist, yeah, that was hilarious.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005
I thought she was acting manic because of the lack of sleep. I may have misinterpreted that though.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

something clever posted:

I thought she was acting manic because of the lack of sleep. I may have misinterpreted that though.

It was lack of sleep + too much caffeine, don't read into it beyond that. Thats why the other guy was taking sleeping pills

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Ego-bot posted:

I really wish this show was an hour. I think the cast has gotten too large, which is ashamed because they're all great. If I had to cut anyone, it would be Jonah and Gary.

Jonah could go no problem, but Gary is the prefect real staffer for someone.

Dazerbeams posted:

I don't think Ben would care given he wanted to retire last year.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

sbaldrick posted:

I don't think Ben would care given he wanted to retire last year.

That and he offered his head for the chopping block before it was decided that Dan should get the axe. Its just sad to be replaced because you're not cutting it anymore.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
As long as Kent never gets fired, because he owns. He might be too competent for this administration, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Dazerbeams posted:

That and he offered his head for the chopping block before it was decided that Dan should get the axe. Its just sad to be replaced because you're not cutting it anymore.

I was sure he only offered to stay to help Selena get up and running, it's done now.

• Locked thread