Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I applied at goon privilege. Same username.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This game is fun and I like it more than CoC and I'm Arus in the 2poor4crown clan, ok that's all!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So hey, remember when I said it would be a matter of when, not if, I uninstalled the game? Yeah, I haven't logged into it in a week. I'm going to uninstall it tonight, but before I do I just want to know if it's easier for me to leave the clan, or be kicked out.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Sent a join request for Goon Privilege, name is Lazyboy

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

"Hey, did you see my game against the Detroit Lions?"

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Sent a join request for Goon Privilege, name is Lazyboy

I'll accept as soon as I'm done being scouted. So tomorrow or Monday.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Sent a join request for Goon Privilege, name is Doomfunk.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
Some tips I've picked up in the Medieval age:

General tips:
-Don't save your trade goods, use them for mercenaries, blessings and gold/food shipments.
-If you have the Stonehenge wonder for God sakes connect it to a drat road! It's a huge waste if you don't.
-Like in Clash of Clans upgrading troops is a top priority when you reach a new age, it makes attacking so much easier.
-Don't neglect the library upgrades, most of them are really good.

Attacking tips:
-I've had a lot of success attacking with 9 knights, 17 archers and 17 fighters. I generally attack towns where nearly all the defenses are surrounded by one giant rectangular wall with little or no interior walls. It doesn't take very long to find a town like this with a lot of gold and food and I generally don't lose much more than a couple knights and some fighters, less if the traps haven't been reset (which they often haven't).
-Unlike Clash of Clans you don't need to worry about getting too many medals and not being able to find places to attack. I have 1100 and still regularly get easy Classical age towns with lots of gold and food.
-Don't try to attack well defended towns just because they have a lot of loot. You can make more by attacking a bunch of easy towns where you don't have a long downtime training soldiers.

Defense tips:
-When planning your defenses keep in mind that protecting your mill and market storage buildings isn't as important as it is in Clash of Clans. People would rather destroy all your defenses so they get their units back after attacking. People don't snipe loot as much as they do in Clash of Clans.
-Don't surround your base with one giant continuous wall. It's especially good to wall in the Ballista towers since knights will get wrecked trying to break in.
-Make sure your defending troops can move around, don't wall the barracks and stables in with no gates.
-Trying to wall in your Coliseum wonder is waste of walls in my opinion since it's essentially just a giant barracks. Plus, people will generally attack this first with a bunch of knights so you can put a bunch of spike traps in front of it.
-Here is my current layout, it works pretty well against Medieval and even some Gunpowder age armies. Plus I can move the mills, markets and defenses around easily depending on what is upgrading and what resource I have more of. I have 340% bonus on my road for connected structures.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The question for me is whether it's better in the long run to sacrifice security by making a base where every building is connected to a road, or just forget that loot bonus and wall up my defense and storage to protect against raids.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

FrensaGeran posted:

The question for me is whether it's better in the long run to sacrifice security by making a base where every building is connected to a road, or just forget that loot bonus and wall up my defense and storage to protect against raids.

You can get a decent bonus by connecting the non-defense and non-storage buildings (farms, houses, library, etc...) and then walling your defenses and storage.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I just finished researching gunpowder age, without spending any money on the game. Is this a moment of pride or shame?

Orgytron
Aug 11, 2007

FrensaGeran posted:

In general, my experience has been that unless I'm taking an extended leave, my income from raiding outstrips village income by an enormous amount. Connect as much poo poo as you can without compromising defense.

I'll add another Medieval Age tip: Ballista Towers will gently caress up your efficiency in a very real way if you use Heavy Cavalry. The only times I've ever had to wait more than a minute before raiding again is when I hosed up an attack and Ballistas didn't get knocked out in the first few seconds.

In general, a base has to have a decent amount of loot to be worth hitting if it has a Ballista for me. When I do hit them, I generally try to open with my mercs and knock them out before dropping horses. If the ballista is centralized and well protected, it's usually an automatic "NEXT" for me.

This works to your advantage too. Protect your Ballista Towers well, invest in the upgrade for an extra one, and keep them somewhat centralized and covering likely points of entry. I still occasionally have people roll over my base, but they usually lose their entire army in the process, and I get those sweet, sweet crowns.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

The splash and loading screens show rockets, spaceships, etc. Are these actually in the game? I've never seen anything past enlightenment age.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
If a medieval or gunpowder goon posts a troop request, is it even worth it for him to give classical Knights? Or would they just kind of be a drag.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

Zachack posted:

The splash and loading screens show rockets, spaceships, etc. Are these actually in the game? I've never seen anything past enlightenment age.

Nothing past the Enlightenment age yet, hopefully in a future update.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Dirt Worshipper posted:

If a medieval or gunpowder goon posts a troop request, is it even worth it for him to give classical Knights? Or would they just kind of be a drag.

They soak up ballista hits for later age guys. That's all that matters, as it lessens troop building downtime.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The age with oil and machine guns, etc, is coming really soon, they tweeted some stuff about it.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
In CoC defending/town layout didn't really matter until TH6. When is that point in this game?

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

In CoC defending/town layout didn't really matter until TH6. When is that point in this game?

Late medieval to Gunpowder and beyond. I defend a fuckton in gunpowder.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
This game has a serious economic problem. I'll start with the farms and caravans. A level 6 farm produces 777/hr in my village, I've done the library upgrade but that's about it to improve that. A caravan of the same level and with the same improvements produces the exact same amount. Upgrading to level 7 costs 70,000, and takes 16 hours. 16*777 +70,000= 82,432, the total cost to upgrade a farm. The additional upgrade adds 130/hr, which which translates to 26 days to pay for the upgrade. I'm going to assume at the start here that we are upgrading both farms and caravans equally. There is certainly an argument that you need more gold than food, so building caravans is better worth it, and that's a fair argument.
A level 9 produces 1228/hr. To upgrade to level 10, that costs 240,000, and takes 2 days, so that's a total cost of 300,000. The upgrade adds 200/hr, which makes for 62 days of production. As level 9 is the highest I've built, I can't say for sure what it is beyond that, but given the curve, I can only assume they get more expensive and pay off even less as you go up. Additionally, these can be raided for 50% of stored, so it'll actually take significantly longer to get your payoff. So, very long run, these are still worth upgrading, but you don't see any additional gold production until after 2 months for just one level's upgrade, slightly ridiculous.
Obviously, this shouldn't be your primary source of production. This should be raiding, and is where the game's economy really starts getting hosed up. First, it's really cool that you get to keep your army, and a big part of why I have kept playing this game. This means more active raiding time, and less waiting around, as compared to CoC. However, at TH7-TH8, I'm finding the upgrade costs for CoC are fairly similar to this game's Gunpowder age, which is something like the 5th or 6th age. I've found so far that a good offense can beat pretty much any defense, especially with the use of tactics. Unfortunately, tactics take 35-40 minutes per, and you can only build one at a time, so if you are counting on tactics, you can only do a few in a row before you have to take a break for a few hours. To fight a similar level base, you pretty much need to do this, but will result in short bursts of very productive farming.
As a fresh Gunpowder, I've found it's hard to fight a decent Medieval base without using Tactics (basically all my units are still medieval), so if I want continual farming, I still pretty much need to focus on classics. I tend to go for anything with a combined 70,000 or more. These two approaches require either choosing higher or lower medals, and both have their good and bad sides. Lower medals means you constantly have to be attacking with the intention of lowering your medals. Throughout the day, people will also send their units at you, also trying to lower their medals. This process is frustrating and gets really annoying.
However, getting higher medals means you have to sift through the really good bases versus the sort of decent bases, and figure out which ones are actually worth your time and at least one tactic (and miscalculating means you're back to CoC-like waiting times between farms).
By comparison, in CoC, it takes about 10-15 minutes to build a barbarian army, and with that army, I rarely find less than a combined 300k, plus some amount of DE (which is probably what this game's oil will be like). At constant farming in this game, 70k combined, that's roughly 4 attacks, so about 15 minutes (including searching for opponents), assuming you don't lose many troops (a few footmen will build while you're fighting the next battle). So, for me right now, farming in CoC, I can have about 12ish minutes of inactivity, followed by about 5 minutes of farming, to get 300k resources, or 15 minutes of active farming to get 300k resources. I know which I prefer.
Maybe I'm just bellyaching that this game takes too much time to farm, but that's what I feel like. I've noticed that both this thread, and game chat, has significantly died down since the game started, and it seems like people aren't sticking around, and probably for this reason.
Am I wrong? I dunno, maybe here pretty soon farming becomes pretty easy...but it sure doesn't feel like it.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Malgrin posted:

This game has a serious economic problem. I'll start with the farms and caravans. A level 6 farm produces 777/hr in my village, I've done the library upgrade but that's about it to improve that. A caravan of the same level and with the same improvements produces the exact same amount. Upgrading to level 7 costs 70,000, and takes 16 hours. 16*777 +70,000= 82,432, the total cost to upgrade a farm. The additional upgrade adds 130/hr, which which translates to 26 days to pay for the upgrade. I'm going to assume at the start here that we are upgrading both farms and caravans equally. There is certainly an argument that you need more gold than food, so building caravans is better worth it, and that's a fair argument.
A level 9 produces 1228/hr. To upgrade to level 10, that costs 240,000, and takes 2 days, so that's a total cost of 300,000. The upgrade adds 200/hr, which makes for 62 days of production. As level 9 is the highest I've built, I can't say for sure what it is beyond that, but given the curve, I can only assume they get more expensive and pay off even less as you go up. Additionally, these can be raided for 50% of stored, so it'll actually take significantly longer to get your payoff. So, very long run, these are still worth upgrading, but you don't see any additional gold production until after 2 months for just one level's upgrade, slightly ridiculous.
Obviously, this shouldn't be your primary source of production. This should be raiding, and is where the game's economy really starts getting hosed up. First, it's really cool that you get to keep your army, and a big part of why I have kept playing this game. This means more active raiding time, and less waiting around, as compared to CoC. However, at TH7-TH8, I'm finding the upgrade costs for CoC are fairly similar to this game's Gunpowder age, which is something like the 5th or 6th age. I've found so far that a good offense can beat pretty much any defense, especially with the use of tactics. Unfortunately, tactics take 35-40 minutes per, and you can only build one at a time, so if you are counting on tactics, you can only do a few in a row before you have to take a break for a few hours. To fight a similar level base, you pretty much need to do this, but will result in short bursts of very productive farming.
As a fresh Gunpowder, I've found it's hard to fight a decent Medieval base without using Tactics (basically all my units are still medieval), so if I want continual farming, I still pretty much need to focus on classics. I tend to go for anything with a combined 70,000 or more. These two approaches require either choosing higher or lower medals, and both have their good and bad sides. Lower medals means you constantly have to be attacking with the intention of lowering your medals. Throughout the day, people will also send their units at you, also trying to lower their medals. This process is frustrating and gets really annoying.
However, getting higher medals means you have to sift through the really good bases versus the sort of decent bases, and figure out which ones are actually worth your time and at least one tactic (and miscalculating means you're back to CoC-like waiting times between farms).
By comparison, in CoC, it takes about 10-15 minutes to build a barbarian army, and with that army, I rarely find less than a combined 300k, plus some amount of DE (which is probably what this game's oil will be like). At constant farming in this game, 70k combined, that's roughly 4 attacks, so about 15 minutes (including searching for opponents), assuming you don't lose many troops (a few footmen will build while you're fighting the next battle). So, for me right now, farming in CoC, I can have about 12ish minutes of inactivity, followed by about 5 minutes of farming, to get 300k resources, or 15 minutes of active farming to get 300k resources. I know which I prefer.
Maybe I'm just bellyaching that this game takes too much time to farm, but that's what I feel like. I've noticed that both this thread, and game chat, has significantly died down since the game started, and it seems like people aren't sticking around, and probably for this reason.
Am I wrong? I dunno, maybe here pretty soon farming becomes pretty easy...but it sure doesn't feel like it.

:gowron: I'm just gonna let somebody else handle this one...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Malgrin posted:

same but ironically

That Jerk Steve
Oct 18, 2011

Malgrin posted:

I made over 750k Gold yesterday in 33 minutes. Using Heavy Cavalry Raiders only and in the 200 medal bracket. I'm not even gunpowder, just medieval. I do this once a day and any attacks I get that increase my medal count over the previous day are dropped back down to 200, by making a ton of raids with 1-5 units. I easily average 400-600k each session of whatever resource I'm aiming for (normally gold) if I'm being lazy and not optimizing. I don't spend crowns in this game although If I did, I would spend them on troops. 20+ crowns would net me a full army of raiders which would pull me in a good 500k gold or so. That would run me 450-500 crowns to buy flat out. I can't see why anyone would have issues with making gold or meat in this game, seriously. Game has problems, but the "economy" or whatever isn't really one of them.

Also, screw you for making me waste so many words on a poop game.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
and all this time I have been just making horsies, steeling shinies, then wiping.

Orgytron
Aug 11, 2007

Malgrin posted:

:yikes:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
God dammit. I think I'm actually close to spending money on one of these stupid games.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Do one-time defensive blessings get used up even if the attacker is just dropping medals? Cause if so that sucks.

Also is anyone else noticing the reported loot lossed in an attack differs from what the replay says?

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

FrensaGeran posted:

Do one-time defensive blessings get used up even if the attacker is just dropping medals? Cause if so that sucks.

Also is anyone else noticing the reported loot lossed in an attack differs from what the replay says?

I don't know EXACTLY what gets rid of them, but no.

Yes, I've watched a replay and been like hold the gently caress up, he stole way more than 2k....

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
To drop medals, do you have to drop at least one soldier? Or can you just start and end the battle?

That Jerk Steve
Oct 18, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

To drop medals, do you have to drop at least one soldier? Or can you just start and end the battle?

You have to drop one dude at least

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

That Jerk Steve posted:

Unless that dude is an elite companion in which case you accidentally won.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

That Jerk Steve posted:

You don't, you just have to let the timer run out.

That Jerk Steve
Oct 18, 2011

ArchangeI posted:

You don't, you just have to let the timer run out.

Really? This I didn't know - kinda useful.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

That Jerk Steve posted:

Really? This I didn't know - kinda useful.

I've been able to drop medals by trying to use the rally point before the match starts and then immediately qutting the match after the 30 second 'Battle starts in' timer counts down.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I still tend to drop one raider, because one raider tends to get me 15-30k resources in the 30 seconds it would have taken to let the timer run out often times. My normal army consists of 3 raiders anyways, so I just keep replacing them. It's not much, but meh.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
I just found a hilarious way to lose your whole army. Try dropping a wall miner on a base that hasn't built a single wall. Instead of deciding that there are no walls to target with his first attack and continuing with pike-man behavior, he just divides by zero and crashes you to the home screen.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
This is for Flagonofwine. It's pretty close to what my old medieval base looked like. It's a lovely paint sketch, but I think you can figure it out. Black lines are walls, grey lines are structures. There were probably gates in there too. If you have extra walls, you can even create some space between the walls and your ballista.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
Don't be afraid to use and request alliance troops! People get timed quests that require them to donate X-number of troops in a short time period so it is a win-win.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Thanks a bunch, Dominations user "mxcheats."

Smugworth fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 18, 2015

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Smugworth posted:

Thanks a bunch, Dominations user "mxcheats."

i wonder what their secret is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
That just means he's dumb enough (or inactive) to stay logged out without a peace treaty with 2-3m of each resource.

• Locked thread