Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
FAT TURKEY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I have no idea what the theme of this game is about, so I'm just going to suggest people turn the lights on in this health care facility.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Somberbrero posted:

I'm presuming this is a Darkplace game, yeah?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EkN8WtFTpE

I'm not going to read back past this page. Those are the bad pages.

MONKEY BASTARD HANDS

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Fat Turkey posted:

MONKEY BASTARD HANDS

So what happened between you and this Renwick customeeeeeer?

:raise:

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Fat Turkey posted:

So what happened between you and this Renwick customeeeeeer?

:raise:

Look Sanch, I know all about Linda and I'm sorry, God knows I am. I've been there hombre. When I heard my wife died I could barely finish my lunch.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Ernie. posted:

hello i died in my other game so this one has my attention

##vote fat turkey

the last time FT and I played we were both scum

and so he's definitely scum this game

Have I ever played Mafia with you?

Also I'm never scum, or anti-town in any way.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I dont have archives, what was the game?

Also, I never lie!

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
That doesn't really ring a bell, but since you have a link you sound like you might be onto something.

Look into these eyes? Could you really vote for someone with these lovable cow eyes?

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Well, its not my handwriting nor do I recognise anything in it, but I do sign all official documents with "A COOL GUY".

Did we win the scum game? Was I any good? I was probably amazing.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Doctor Sexy, paging Doctor Sexy to Sexnasium

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Is dogging a thing in the US or is it just a UK thing? Would you know what I mean?

Just doing some hospital research.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Its just I can't imagine it being said in an American accent.

Except maybe Brooklyn.

"Hey! Hey Vinny! I'm doooorgging here!"

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Where did we get to on the dogging?

I'm doing some...research. For a...friend.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Murmur Twin posted:

Good morning all, I'm here! I hope everyone's orgy weekend was pleasant. I'm looking over the game right now, opinions coming soon.

This guy

##vote Murmur Twin

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Anyone who has been to an orgy would never use the term 'pleasant'.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
There's nothing jokey about it Capt Serious. It is as legitimate as others I've read, unless people have a messianic belief is finding tells in Day 1 chat.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I read your case.

I didn't say my vote was based on scumminess.

Its still equally as legitimate and based on sound principles.

If you're struggling to understand that, another way of putting it is that I don't think much of your vote.

I'm just not so confrontational about it.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Hmmm. I'm sure you've played Mafia with me before. But maybe I just hosted.

Also to clarify you mean Murmur Twin not P Mom right?

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Name correction aside, your second sentence is pretty self-evident. Of course they are different. They are different clauses about different things.

What are you getting at?

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Fair enough, I'll stop dicking around, here is my point.

My Principle, as laid at some years ago.

This game of Mafia is first and foremost a game. And if I'm going to be in it, I want it to be fun. I'd rather lose a fun game than win a dull one.

I find most of Day 1 cases to be based on the most banal and contradictory messages. A cosied to much up to B! A completely ignored B! A is sticking up for B, an obvious trick to make him look good later. A is attacking B, an obvious trick to make him look good later. This leads to many players acting somewhat neutrally, or barely posting at all. People acting like this is both Not Fun and Won't Help Later when case-making starts.

Day 1 vote for me is to eliminate people who are Not Fun and Won't Help Later (either by being largely useless or providing so little information that we can't say anything about them). If you vote off people who tried to do stuff in favour of people who preferred to do nothing, later Days become awful.

And the great thing is, it has as much chance of hitting Scum as the pissing in the wind I see in most Day 1 cases. Arguably more, but it's not like I've run the numbers on it so I can't say so with any real confidence.

In this instance, someone who, many days into the game, came in to post that they're going to read now and have some opinions...that's just fluff. Depending on whether they actually put some posts down, we might have nothing for them for Day 1. Not Fun. Won't Help Later. But there's still time in the Day. I may have missed someone who has contirbuted even less, or is less Fun, and if so please let me know.

Please note I'm not saying my vote is better than yours, or better reasoned. All I said was it's as legitimate. You don't have to like it, but it's how I like trying to avoid postless Day 3s and 4s. I just find the spray-and-pray of Day 1, and the once-so-often drawing a target around the scattergun approach to stifle posts, or encourage lurking. Keep at it and if you start finding your Day 1 Scum-Finder is better than pot luck, all power to you.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Byers2142 posted:

That's legitimately awful. It's basically "I lynch lurker-likes D1 and always have," which is a meta defense for making a case not based on alignment. Even if that's true, why is Murmur Twin deserving of the vote over, say, Kleedrac or Samfucius?

And I found your quasi-casing Day 1 based on false assumptions equally awful because its based on bollocks. I don't tell anyone to abide by my way. I already say why Murmur Twin was the one to tap my vote to. Note how he was telling us he was reading and making opinions and then nothing came.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Big Nothing posted:

##vote fat turkey
You seem to be very defensive about a single vote. Let's hang this goose Turkey

Heh, I never responded to the vote on me, I was talking with Byers. Being defensive about something normally involves addressing it in some way.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Stop calling me BT!

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
For someone who accused me of becoming defensive after one vote on me, you've become rather defensive over one vote on you. My answer really convinced you otherwise?

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Sorry, that's kinda lovely of me. I try to avoid that kind of thing.

You have content and opinion, and your main point on Sam ticks my boxes for now.

##unvote
##vote Samfucius

Do you still need to do that first ##?

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Oh screw you new page

##unvote

Samfucius, I'm a wordy SOAB, and this whole premise of 'people who write things are scummy' is the whole eye-rollingly awful mentality that made me adopt the Principle in the first place.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
"unrelentingly self-conscious" = talking about myself.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
##vote Kleedrac

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
What the hell are you all talking about?

Poque said something of actual interest.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Byers, are you wanting 3 persons answers from everyone?

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Fat Turkey, Asiina, Byers
Fat Turkey, Somberbrero, Samfucius

Fat Turkey hopes this aids your actual, ugh, purpose.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
5 posts making up several hundred words in the space of one minute. Why have you been practicing your posts and then copy-pasting them in? What was the rush to get all this posted?

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Murmur Twin posted:

What implication are you making here? I feel like you're pointing out something that's relatively benign and trying to frame it as suspicious.

There is no implication. I find something that looks odd and I point it out, especially when noone else has noticed it. Someone confirmed they had not noticed it. I don't like leaving elephants dangling in the room. That also works for outside Mafia games.

How people answer can be revealing though.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Murmur Twin posted:

My process for making Mafia cases uses Chrome and Notepad:

- find a suspicious post or three
- hit "Quote"
- hold CTRL and hit A, X, V (to highlight everything and then verify it's been cut/pasted)
- hold ALT and hit <- , TAB (to go back from the 'quote' page and then enter notepad)
- CTRL-V to dump the quote into notepad, ALT-TAB to go back into Chrome
- repeat for all suspicious-seeming posts to collect relevant quotes in Notepad
- go back and write observations based on quotes

This comes across very much like that shooting arrows into a wall and then drawing targets around where they hit that I mentioned earlier. Heh.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
So reading back, my gut gives me a name, and that name is

##Hal

Maybe I will deign you with reasons. Maybe. Nothing conclusive, but the gut wants what the gut wants.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Byers2142 posted:

I can't talk about it. Even answering this much is on the edge of what I can say.

OK. I will try to word this carefully to try and stay on the brink of what you can say.

Earlier in this Day you made 3 posts in one minute, faster than you could type, probably. So you queued up the posts. Did you have the content of the posts prepared before the New Day began or after?

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
In case I didn't make myself clear, those three posts come in a row at 19:04 on my time and you do not make any posts around or between them.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Byers2142 posted:

I never pre-write posts. When I catch up, I read along in one tab, clicking quote to open new tabs to write responses in until I'm caught up. Sometimes I'll nest a few quotes to reduce the number of back-to-back posts, but I never take the time to pre-plan or pre-write posts. Honestly, pre-writing a post, especially if you put it through an editor like Word? That's a scummy thing to do.

But you did prewrite those posts. You posted 5, or 3 you can acknowledge, on one minute. The way you say you post is the way you posted this lot, with about 5 minutes between each post. Thats how long it takes to quote and comment. The other lot had to be pre - written.

Also, your rules of what you're allowed to mention have changed. If your final post of that set was right, then you can talk about some of them. A blanket 'I can't talk about any of them' goes against what was said.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
##vote Hal Incandenza

I thought the vote finder thing accepted shortened versions, I'm sure it used to, if they had been added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Byers2142 posted:

Here's why that's always struck me as scummy; if you're prepping a post that much, it's manufactured. Town reads are much more off the cuff, but scum care about crafting cases and making sure their tone in posting isn't off. There's a tendency for scum to try to craft town-sounding posts.

For what its worth, I have done that some times as both town and scum when I'm doing something like reading at work and I want to take notes on my reads and thoughts at the time. To suggest that town cases are always off the cuff and never pre-planned to that degree is very wrong, to me. More like 'if you dont play town the way I do, you must be scum'.

I must have missed the first miller claim, when did you make it?

• Locked thread