Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Didn't really see a Gintama thread so I thought I'd make one because this show is pretty bad rear end

What the hell is gintama you ask?
It's basically a parody/comedy/action/adventure/slice of li- gently caress it this show has a little bit of everything over it's 270 episodes + 4 movies; that can take you from dying of laughter to dying of sadness in just a few episodes. While mostly episodic(but the series will reference these episodic episodes), but has very detailed and interesting arc's scattered over the series. Basically the series revolves around aliens invaded in year something-or-other, banned all swords (because they are obviously superior to ranged weapons), and made a semi-truce with earth allowing for interplanetary commerce. Gintama part of the few last remaining samurai, since after the earth/alien war most were killed or sought day jobs, who runs a business called Odd Jobs.

Who the hell are the main characters
Gintama has 3 stooges main characters, and a poo poo load of supporting characters (something like 20 characters that actively show up and help the main cast out)

Gintoki (or Gin) is the main character, he always has a perm and is always 20ish. He's basically a anti-hereo on every level; often reading JUMP, watching anime or the weather girl, drinking heavily, hungover often, broke as poo poo, and fairly clueless when it comes to doing things. Gin has his moments though, when poo poo is in need of doing he gets it done the old samurai way, with a wooden sword.

Schinpachi is another main cast member, he's your typical weeaboo. Schinpachi runs a fan club of NEETS who love some J-Pop singer, lives at his sisters failing dojo, and works for Gin at Odd Jobs. He really is the over dramatic character that parodies a lot of other anime characters as well as anime fanbases.

Kagura is another main cast member; she's an alien whose race is known for being some of the toughest fighters in the galaxy, she often acts child like but is an excellent fighter. She is often traveling with her oversized dog and an umbrella that is a gun/shield/parachute/etc, and always complains about food.

There are a lot of other characters that can be considered part of the main cast but that is almost 20+ characters

So does this have a manga? Do I need to watch it to understand what the gently caress is happening

Yeah Gintama does have a manga however reading of the manga is not needed to understand Gintama at all, you may get more references and laughs though. However, if you only read the manga you miss one of the most badass offical openings of all time(yes this is real).

I've heard it takes about 20 episodes to get good
It does take a bit of time to get rolling, but the first 20 episodes are setting up most side characters and world building. Believe me when I say there are a LOT of characters in Gintama and most all of them get fully fleshed out, they aren't many one hit wonders that appear once or twice.

While the show is mostly episodic there are many arcs in the show (potential spoilers) http://www.yorozuyasoul.com/gintama/arcs,, however if you only watch the arcs you will miss out on a lot genuinely good episodes. You'll also find that there are a lot of parodies from everything like Kaiji to DBZ to Space Cobra to Star Wars in these arcs/one off episodes

All of Gintama is on crunchyroll so why not watch it?

Yo check this poo poo out if you want to get into gintama

pandaK posted:

Yes, please add this to the OP (a Google doc list of the most memorable arcs):
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XHaHAJdrppWJginV4Y8Qij6ce5_BP4jjVrqLLWv2VYo/edit

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

It IS a lot of material, so if you don't want to watch all of Gintama just start with the new season and if a joke or a character's name comes up that you don't get, google it and watch their debut. If you don't feel the need and got a laugh of a gag, that's fine too. If enough forlks are interested, I wouldn't mind writing up a short guide on the side cast to supplement the OP, though it's not really necessary.

Please watch Gintama, you'll have a good time.

The first two episodes of this season have been pretty great, I hope more of the side cast starts to feature next week.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
This series really starts slowly.
For new comers I would suggest you read the character synopsis on Wikipedia and then look for a list of the really good episodes (ie: the Wii/ Dragon Quest episode) and start from there. The series itself allows you to jump right in as long as you know who the characters are.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My OCD doesn't allow for things like starting in the middle of a series but I'm up to episode 45 now and it's pretty good and funny, though I don't think it mixes the serious and comedy stuff as well as other shows.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Zettace posted:

This series really starts slowly.
For new comers I would suggest you read the character synopsis on Wikipedia and then look for a list of the really good episodes (ie: the Wii/ Dragon Quest episode) and start from there. The series itself allows you to jump right in as long as you know who the characters are.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XHaHAJdrppWJginV4Y8Qij6ce5_BP4jjVrqLLWv2VYo/edit

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

pandaK posted:

Also, please yell out whatever you think is missing, because I'm not personally vouching for anything until I've seen it, and I'm still in the middle of watching every episode.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

pandaK posted:

Thanks, this looks great! I'm gonna start at the beginning, but I entirely expect to get impatient and these'll be a good option at that point.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Starting at the beginning with Gintama is a lot like starting from the Simpsons at the beginning. Yeah it's not *bad* but it just improves so much after those early episodes.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Sakurazuka posted:

My OCD doesn't allow for things like starting in the middle of a series but I'm up to episode 45 now and it's pretty good and funny, though I don't think it mixes the serious and comedy stuff as well as other shows.

It gets better at it. I wasn't too impressed by the first serious arc either which people seem to love. By the time it gets to the 2nd or 3rd, I was blown away enough that I tend to qualify Gintama among the better anime that are able to balance comedy and drama effectively.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I still think the "failure to block kunais with the sword" gag is one of the funniest gags to come out of a shounen comedy series.

And Sugita Tomokazu really helps make this series that much greater.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
This is the only series I can think of in any medium that had a legit story arc where everyone fought over the rankings they received in the popularity poll.

Gintama's great fun.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
"I don't know what you're misinterpreting here..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlhKkk-c3WE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV3VjZnO0n0

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Compendium posted:

This is the only series I can think of in any medium that had a legit story arc where everyone fought over the rankings they received in the popularity poll.

Gintama's great fun.

This is the only series I can think of where they get away with A LOT of the poo poo they do. I honestly thought the whole "PTA will take us off the air" thing was a joke. Then I saw the episode where Gin is in a boxing match fighting with his balls and running around....

Also this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAqo1mNq15A

What the gently caress Gintama owns!

pandaK posted:

Added thanks man

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 18, 2015

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Tomokazu Sugita is basically my favorite japanese VA and I somehow never watched Gintama until this week. I've sorta just been hopping around based on whichever few episodes sound cool, but I like it a lot so far.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Countblanc posted:

Tomokazu Sugita is basically my favorite japanese VA and I somehow never watched Gintama until this week. I've sorta just been hopping around based on whichever few episodes sound cool, but I like it a lot so far.

Gintoki is basically his defining role in my eyes. I can't hear him as any other character now

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
That's because Gintoki is just Sugita basically being himself :v:

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Every anime Sugita is in could end with the punchline of him questioning everything while no one responds and I'd be happy

Ataru13
Jul 28, 2005

...Packing Space-Age Shit!
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hYZaTsZKl0

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I got caught up watching every single episode of this series and the movies in order. I don't know if I'd recommend doing the same because of the time investment, but I always got a kick out of seeing random seemingly one-time characters pop up again in later episodes. On the other hand, following only the google doc means you'd miss some good opening or ending bits, since I couldn't in good faith recommend an episode when the meat of it isn't particularly spectacular. Maybe I should have a separate list for stuff like the recycled Ben Johnson scenes.

Best OP goes to Tougenkyou Alien (especially when they hosed it up). Honorary mention for the OP for the fake moe show and its "hidden" joke I only caught on a rewatch. The only long arc I found overall underwhelming was the Renho arc, which could be because I have zero nostalgia for Gundam and mecha shows, plus the fact I still don't really like Sakamoto.

I was left still wanting more, so I poked around the manga a bit, but it's just not the same. (I also spoiled myself on a character death in the process by skimming the wiki, so way to go me.) It's kind of surprising just how many episodes the anime invented whole cloth because other than the explicit time sinks I could not tell at all.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Yeah following the guides for the arc's only makes you lose out on a lot of the good stuff.

I blew through it in about 4 weeks, I felt that was a good pace. But then again I watched a lot of it at work so eh

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

I've only started watching with this new season but there's been plenty of boogers and mayo and puke and i'm looking forward to the poop episode

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i tried getting into the manga a while ago but it kept going back to that "those drat foreigners aliens ruining our country :bahgawd:" thing and i decided to put it down. does it ever stop doing that?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Inflammatory posted:

i tried getting into the manga a while ago but it kept going back to that "those drat foreigners aliens ruining our country :bahgawd:" thing and i decided to put it down. does it ever stop doing that?

I dunno about the manga, but I know after a while the anime just starts forgetting about that plotline existing. This is also around the same time the quality spikes upwards.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The aliens will always exist, but the dick jokes never stop.

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
Wait, there are aliens in Gintama?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Kleptobot posted:

Well one-third of the main cast is aliens

Compendium posted:

The aliens will always exist, but the dick jokes never stop.

I don't know what you are talking about, the Neo armstrong cyclone jet canon is the most powerful gun in existence, it single handedly ended the galactic war and made peace in the galaxy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDut-saDvV8

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kleptobot posted:

Why do you think the Tokugawa Shogunate and modern-day technology exist simultaneously?

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I don't know what you are talking about, the Neo armstrong cyclone jet canon is the most powerful gun in existence, it single handedly ended the galactic war and made peace in the galaxy

It's Neo Armstrong Cyclone Jet Armstrong Cannon, get it right. :colbert:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Allarion posted:

I dunno about the manga, but I know after a while the anime just starts forgetting about that plotline existing. This is also around the same time the quality spikes upwards.

Also to kinda correct/expand on this, the alien foreigner invasion is never really forgotten since it's part of the setting and is kind of an excuse to have modern day/anime technology (like android maid, Tama) so that ridiculous as poo poo things can happen while still being able to swing around samurai swords.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 25, 2015

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
That and most the aliens live near the terminal IIRC, Gin is well... in the rear end end of town

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

On the other hand, following only the google doc means you'd miss some good opening or ending bits, since I couldn't in good faith recommend an episode when the meat of it isn't particularly spectacular. Maybe I should have a separate list for stuff like the recycled Ben Johnson scenes.

I decided to split the difference and converted the doc into a spreadsheet with notes. Maybe it'll be easier to navigate!

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Are there any episodes that focus exclusively on the Shinsengumi?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

archduke.iago posted:

the baragaki/thorny arc is pretty much a shinsengumi arc with gin as a plot device

also shinsengumi crisis

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

archduke.iago posted:

Notable Shinsengumi-only episodes:
Episode 28,
35 is the"Boss's daughter" saga,
101-105 is an entire pseudo-serious Shinsengumi-centric plotline,
113 & 114,
148 & 149 are the Saw parody episodes.
172, the Interrogation episode.
Episodes 194,
205 and
223 is about Matsudaira.

I'm missing a few (there's an early Shinsengumi episode that's Cop-like in structure, or the one where the Shinsengumi run protection for Otsu) but that's a bunch of the notable ones.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Next-Jin Engine posted:

Notable Shinsengumi-only episodes:
Episode 28,
35 is the"Boss's daughter" saga,
101-105 is an entire pseudo-serious Shinsengumi-centric plotline,
113 & 114,
148 & 149 are the Saw parody episodes.
172, the Interrogation episode.
Episodes 194,
205 and
223 is about Matsudaira.

I'm missing a few (there's an early Shinsengumi episode that's Cop-like in structure, or the one where the Shinsengumi run protection for Otsu) but that's a bunch of the notable ones.

There's also the Mitsuba Okita episodes (86-87), which is great character stuff for Okita and Hijikata in general, the second half of 89, and the Rokkaku arc (186-187), which is mostly Okita again.

There's also 109 for Yamazaki trying to infiltrate Katsura's group.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 27, 2015

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Oh yeah, the Jackie Chan episode (109) is also excellent.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nice, thanks!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The newest episode is pretty weak, which was disappointing after last week's left me in stitches.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Watching last week's ep, I wonder who's doing the subs for Gintama on CR because I'm getting annoyed at the errors.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Compendium posted:

Watching last week's ep, I wonder who's doing the subs for Gintama on CR because I'm getting annoyed at the errors.

They've been terrible since the beginning. At least they haven't yet translated futari as one again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Strange Quark posted:

They've been terrible since the beginning. At least they haven't yet translated futari as one again.

Or "five years ago" as "five years in the future".

EDIT: On a completely different note, totally recommending Part B of episode 189. Part A is a giant troll move by Sunrise, but the second part is just sweet.

I wasn't crying when all the adults + Shinpachi came to do radio exercises with Kagura after she broke the tape player nope.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 30, 2015

• Locked thread