Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have a pixel 6a and a PW1 and I have the always on display off. Every time I turn the watch screen on it defaults to the Spotify player. Is there any way to disable this? I haven't been able to find any setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
I am looking to buy my father a smart watch. he has never owned one but has a new fancy samsung phone

Everyone else in the family uses apple so there was one obvious choice.

I have narrowed things down to the Samsung watch6 44mm or the Pixel watch 2

he is old, bikes, plays guitar, and does tai kwon do. I was hoping to get something for ECG (afib issues) and fall detection. Need all day battery life to make it worth while, my dad likes samsung everything, but the pixel looks more robust but we are not going to fork over money for fitbit premium.

i see complaints on the samsung for having a shorter battery life but the reviews just feel like a paid advert.

Overall between the two which would you pick?

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
Frankly if you're considering the Galaxy watches I'd consider waiting for the 7. The articles I see appear to be talking about a dramatic increase in battery life.

I've got the 5, I can get up to 2 days out of it, but I usually just charge it every other evening while I'm surfing or whatever. I'm probably going to update to a 7 when they come out myself, but I'm waiting to see what the models are. I'd be tempted by a pro if the battery life is that much better, or by a square face if they do end up going that direction as rumored and it looks ok.

I don't know too much about the pixels though, so I can't give you a fair comparison.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My 5 Pro's battery life is solid enough I have no desire to upgrade, but also the titanium housing and sapphire glass have kept it in really nice shape despite my best efforts to smash it on every doorframe I pass through.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would wait 3 months for the 7 as well.

GW 4-6 all essentially have the same SoC in them and it's due for a real upgrade. Both the W920 and W930 are dual core A55 based SoCs on a 5nm process. The W930 just has a slightly higher max clock speed likely due to process improvements The only real difference betwen the 4/5 and the 6 is the 6 got more ram (and larger display). The only real upgrade for the 5 over the 4 was the the sapphire glass.

Pixel Watch 2 along with Ticwatch Pro 5 and OnePlus Watch 2 are all on the W5 platform which is a quad core platform (4nm 4xA53 cores) with an additional co-processor (M33 or M55 depending on if W5 or W5+). The performance difference is noticeable.

Additionally, there's the whole dual architecture thing that debuted on the OnePlus Watch 2 and I would really hope that Samsung would implement that on their next watch because that will really enhance battery life across the board.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
I'll second the glass (and the doorframes), it's honestly surprised me. I've just got the Galaxy 5, not the pro. It's my first smartwatch so I figured I would see how I liked them before I sprung for a pro.

My next one will be a pro.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Does the pixel watch do the same stupid thing where you have to dismiss incoming notifications twice to get them to go away? On my Samsung Watch 5 pro a notification will come in, I'll swipe it away, but the little "you have a notification" dot is still there. I open the notifications, and it's right there. If i dismiss from there, it finally goes away.

I will say I'm happy with the durability and battery life. The magnetic clasp on the silicone sport band is quite nice. Not as happy with the Samsung apps I don't want and cannot uninstall.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

drat, this OP2 "Nordic Blue" colourway is gorgeous https://9to5google.com/2024/04/23/oneplus-watch-2-nordic-blue-launch/

Weirdly Europe/UK-only currently.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
My OP2 has been awesome so far, by the way. I rarely see it drop below 90% after a full day's usage with HR and a good 30min-1hr workout.

Exactly what I wanted in a new WearOS watch.