Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Apple watch could be triangular or a trapezoid and still have the same market share

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I mean a rectangular smartwatch makes more sense than a round one. It’s got corners, messages are easier to parse and pictures are also easier to display. The only advantage for a round smartwatch is that I guess it’s easier to accessorize

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

bull3964 posted:

Because a watch is a fashion accessory as much as it is anything else and a black square is terminally boring.

Watches are fashion accessories now but they became fashion accessories out a utilitarian need, they were round because the mechanism was round, a square/rectangular face is simply optimizing the experience for the current underlying technology.

It's like people complaining that EVs are all "weird", I mean, sure there is some "weird" for weird sake, but a good portion of it was car design was dictated by the design constraints and physics of a technology that EVs do not use.

The simplest explanation on why round smartwatches are an abomination is there is no such thing as round smartwatch display, at least on a hardware design level, the hardware and software does not see it as a round display, it sees it as a square/rectangular display with an area that can not be used.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ah, but there are square mechanical watches.

Look, you aren't going to convince me. I don't want a square rear end digital watch on my wrist unless it's some throwback Casio, deal with it. Any difference in usability with a screen this small is meaningless min/maxing.

In other news, Google Assistant is live on the GW4.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bull3964 posted:

I just installed this, and for some reason I had to go through the voice match setup again, even though the Assistant in my phone and speakers already has that data.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I can't say if that would have been the case for me or not since I don't do voice activation on my phone and watch.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Ah, but there are square mechanical watches.

Look, you aren't going to convince me. I don't want a square rear end digital watch on my wrist unless it's some throwback Casio, deal with it. Any difference in usability with a screen this small is meaningless min/maxing.

Preach, brother.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

bull3964 posted:

I don't want a square rear end digital watch on my wrist unless it's some throwback Casio, deal with it.

What about a square smartwatch with a throwback Casio skin?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Not really, I'm not into replica watch faces.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

isndl posted:

What about a square smartwatch with a throwback Casio skin?

I like this one on the Oppo though I wonder if there's a better one out there. Used to use one on Facer I think but it got DMCA'd because it had Casio trademarks on it and Facer kinda runs like poo poo too.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Three Olives posted:

Watches are fashion accessories now but they became fashion accessories out a utilitarian need, they were round because the mechanism was round, a square/rectangular face is simply optimizing the experience for the current underlying technology.

Well, dials will always be round.

I agree with you though. Personally, I wear a watch as a fashion accessory first, a timepiece second, and only thirdly as something I can look at when I get a notification to know if I should pull my phone out or not, so I much prefer the look of a round screen since it's a classic look, analog-style faces fit well and, even without corners, I get plenty of screen to know if my phone is buzzing because I got a gif in a Messenger group chat or a reminder for a meeting with my boss in 10 minutes. However, I get that people who use theirs as a fitness tracker, music player and/or anything more smart-device-y get more out of a rectangular shape.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Okay, so I really want to disconnect more than I am able to currently. I don't want the sum of all human knowledge in my pocket when I'm going to the park.

I need to be reasonably in contact though (able to take occasional calls and at least see that I've gotten a text or WhatsApp). I need to be available to support a family member's health care needs. It wouldn't be life or death if a call got missed but in general I should be available.

A flip phone or something would do the job, but there's no way to share a number between devices seamlessly in Canada as far as I can tell.

Is it feasible to do this via wearos devices? Like, would it be crazy to buy one of the heavily discounted fossil gen 5 LTE watches to fill this hole for me? Taking the occasional call so I can leave my phone home on a Saturday or whatever. I haven't heard hugely positive talk about the ecosystem in general.

I like my current Garmin watch for fitness stuff, but I'd really like to ditch the phone occasionally without stressing about not being available.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Yes, you can use a LTE WearOS watch for calls and SMS without your phone, and as long as your carrier supports it they can share a number.

I know your cell carriers up there make AT&T and Verizon seem like friendly cooperative local businesses by comparison, but it looks like at least Bell offers the number sharing service: https://support.bell.ca/mobility/rate_plans_features/how-to-set-up-numbershare-on-my-smart-watch

tikka_zamayid
Dec 2, 2018

There goes the neighborhood....

Calaveron posted:

I mean a rectangular smartwatch makes more sense than a round one. It’s got corners, messages are easier to parse and pictures are also easier to display. The only advantage for a round smartwatch is that I guess it’s easier to accessorize

I had the Samsung S2 that was rectangular and It did fairly well for messaging and the like, but it went belly up way before its time at just over a year old.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there any way to make a Watch4 turn off battery saving mode when it starts to charge, or reaches a certain battery percentage? It's silly to turn on battery saver at night and wake up to a fully-charged watch that's still trying to save battery.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Battery in my Ticwatch Pro 3 is going off a cliff fast, which means its time to ask whats the current best option? Of course this happens right after I buy a kegerator

Basically I want the thing to last a couple days at least, more is better, and not be too much of a laggy janky mess when I'm trying to quickly bring up tap in a drive thru or at the checkout in a store. I know thats probably asking too much.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 21, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The ticwatch is the longest lasting thing, nothing else comes close.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm weary of going back with Mobvoi with this one seemingly dying off after just 18 months. I expect a lil more for $400 CAD

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Then wait for the Galaxy Watch 5 Pro/Ultra in the fall which will have similar battery size, but probably won’t last quite a long since it won’t have a dual screen.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I read there are some compatibility issues with the current Watch 4 if you aren't using a Samsung phone. What exactly will it lock you out of? Or is that just bullshit

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You don’t get the ecg functionality unless you use a hacked version of the health app.

That’s it.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
The only thing I've noticed that's kind of bugged me is that I can't sync do not disturb mode automatically between my non-Samsung phone and my watch. Otherwise yeah the hacked health app is the only other thing you should have to do to restore feature parity.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Are there any decent options in the fitness tracker/smartwatch space other than the Galaxy Watch 4?

Right now, I'm using a Mi Band 6 to read incoming notifications and make NFC payments. This works pretty well overall but reading notifications is a bit cumbersome due to the small display and lack of emoji support, similarly making NFC payments could also be improved because changing menus on the band is a bit slow and unresponsive.

I like that the GW4 offers a small (40mm) version but the low battery life puts me off, as I don't feel that I'm using my current band enough to want to bother with something I'd have to charge daily. I'm guessing the answer is no but is there anything similar to the GW4 that offers better battery life or can the battery life of the GW4 be improved significantly by turning off all health tracking?

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

Incessant Excess posted:

Are there any decent options in the fitness tracker/smartwatch space other than the Galaxy Watch 4?

Right now, I'm using a Mi Band 6 to read incoming notifications and make NFC payments. This works pretty well overall but reading notifications is a bit cumbersome due to the small display and lack of emoji support, similarly making NFC payments could also be improved because changing menus on the band is a bit slow and unresponsive.

I like that the GW4 offers a small (40mm) version but the low battery life puts me off, as I don't feel that I'm using my current band enough to want to bother with something I'd have to charge daily. I'm guessing the answer is no but is there anything similar to the GW4 that offers better battery life or can the battery life of the GW4 be improved significantly by turning off all health tracking?

If it helps, my GW4 can usually last 2+ days and that's with notifications, step/heartrate/etc. tracking and lift to wake on. I take it off to shower so it's mostly kept charged in any case, but even when I can't be bothered it's still OK.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Can you describe what the process of making a payment with the watch is like? On my Mi Band it's as follows:

1. activate the watch by raising my wrist or taping it
2. swipe right from the homescreen
3. tap the relevant card
4. wait a second or so for NFC to activate
5. pay within 60 seconds, then it auto deactivates

Also worth noting is that I have to unlock the watch every 24 hours by entering my pin code, otherwise the NFC payment feature is unavailable.

I'd also be curious how long the watch takes to charge to full and if it supports emojis in WhatsApp messages (Mi Band offers only limited support).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, for payments, I have Google Pay bound to a double tap of the top button. That brings you directly to the last used card or you can scroll though and select a different one.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bull3964 posted:

Well, for payments, I have Google Pay bound to a double tap of the top button. That brings you directly to the last used card or you can scroll though and select a different one.

Oh, maybe that's why I haven't gotten the watch to work with Pay yet. I assumed it was like my phone and as long as it was unlocked it'd trigger when it was near the terminal.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Incessant Excess posted:

Not Wear OS but the Garmin Venu 2S seems to cover my needs of small form factor, notifications, NFC payments and 5+ days of battery life:

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Smaller-Sized-Smartwatch-Advanced-Monitoring/dp/B0911JMXVX/

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
I have a tic watch pro3 and Google maps seemed to have completely disappeared from my watch. I can't download it either from the Play store on the watch. Is anyone else having this issue? I've had this watch for 2 years and it wasn't an issue before. I'm not sure when it disappeared as I normally do not use it except when traveling.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Still have it on mine

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, that’s annoying. I grabbed my GW4 Classic today and my phone was giving me the dreaded “give app access to notifications” notification even though it had access and the watch was completely missing from the Galaxy Wearable.

I had to do a factory reset and re-pair everything back up which for the most part isn’t too bad except for the drat contactless payment setup that I’m going to have to go through again and I’m pretty sure my Amex is out of activations again and the only way I’m going to be able to add it is call them up and have them clear all devices again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I will say, I think the Watch 5 Pro looks a lot better in hands on than renders. I thought it was looking very bland in renders, but the hands on today did a better job of showing off the finishing and detailing that was lost on the renders and I think I'm a fan now.

My black and my silver Watch 4s are getting traded in for black and titanium Watch 5 Pros. I'm keeping the Watch 4 classic as I still think it's very nice styling.

Going sapphire across the board wasn't something that leaked out prior. We were pretty sure that the Pro was going to have sapphire, but the the normal Watch 5 having sapphire glass (although, a slighterly lower grade) wasn't something that was rumored.

The larger batteries across the board will be welcome and the 590mAh on the Watch 5 Pro is a beast, going larger than even the TicWatch Pro 3. The SoC is more efficient than the Ticwatch too, but the lack of FSTN display will probably be an equal tradeoff. Regardless, it should have excellent battery life.

I am a bit troubled by the fact that Samsung seems to be gating some software features behind the Pro model. Specifically, the GPX route downloading and the track back functionality. There's nothing hardware wise that should require the pro (aside from having more battery for more GPS longevity.) Speaking of which, they are saying 20hours of GPS logging on the Pro model (betting that's with AoD off though.)

It will be interesting to see if the flatter sensor module with more skin contact results in any increase in accuracy with metrics. At least they seem to be trying to make strides there. There's a temp sensor there too, right now it is only being used for sleep tracking.

They are promising faster charging. 45% in 30 minutes (35% for the Pro since it has a larger battery). Still not blazing fast, but better. They say you can charge it enough in 8 minutes to do 8 hours of sleep tracking. So, you should be able to charge enough during your bedtime routine to cover any sleep tracking power usage.

Other than that, slightly larger displays and the underlying SoC is the same so no major jumps there (not that it was expected.)

Otherwise, Google announced at the event some various enhancements with app partners and the fact that Google Maps will have an offline mode later this year so you can navigate without your phone.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 10, 2022

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Speaking of the Watch4, I have the Classic version and it often gives me the low battery notification after about 14 hours of use (ambient display on). Is this expected battery life?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hooah posted:

Speaking of the Watch4, I have the Classic version and it often gives me the low battery notification after about 14 hours of use (ambient display on). Is this expected battery life?

No. Something is causing a drain. I can put mine on at 9am, take it off at midnight, and still have like 65% battery left. That's AoD display on and continuous heart rate.

Make sure all of the Samsung apps are updated. I've seen bad drain before if there was a pending clockface update (it kept the thing from going into deep sleep.)

Also, try clearing the cache partition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mvRvEsAPpE

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bull3964 posted:

No. Something is causing a drain. I can put mine on at 9am, take it off at midnight, and still have like 65% battery left. That's AoD display on and continuous heart rate.

Make sure all of the Samsung apps are updated. I've seen bad drain before if there was a pending clockface update (it kept the thing from going into deep sleep.)

Also, try clearing the cache partition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mvRvEsAPpE

Everything seems up to date. I don't have any Samsung health services running. I am using Pujie Black as my watch face. Maybe that's causing undue drainage.

I'll wipe the cache partition and see how it goes for a few days.

hooah fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 10, 2022

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm trying to be excited about the Pixel Watch but everything about it just screams mediocre to me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Kirios posted:

I'm trying to be excited about the Pixel Watch but everything about it just screams mediocre to me.

Yeah, I'm not excited at all about it. I have a feeling they'll do some sort of preorder discount/bundle thingy with the Pixel 7/7 Pro and that's how I'll end up with one. Outside of that, Samsung is outclassing the hell out of them and Ticwatch should be announcing a device with the new Qualcomm SoC soon.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

hooah posted:

I've been getting terrible battery life on mine for about a week at this point. Somewhere between 6 and 9 PM I'm getting the low battery alert where normally it's more like 2-3 AM at the earliest.

bull3964 posted:

Hmm, it did prompt me to update one of the Samsung Health apps yesterday but then it wanted me to sign in to a Samsung account on my phone to do it so I didn't because I don't use the Samsung apps. Do I have to update it or is there a way to disable the Samsung updater service altogether and just get updates from the Play Store like I actually want?

edit: Well, just looking at my watch now I have a notification saying Samsung Health has updated so I have no idea wtf.

Currently at 79% with the watch having come off the charger four hours ago.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 11, 2022

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

wolrah posted:

I've been getting terrible battery life on mine for about a week at this point. Somewhere between 6 and 9 PM I'm getting the low battery alert where normally it's more like 2-3 AM at the earliest.

My regular Watch 4's battery life starts getting noticeably worse every few weeks.
Usually I can eke out just a bit over 2 days with health/sleep tracking and tilt to wake, but eventually drops to about a day for no apparent reason. Then I reboot it and then it's back to normal.

:iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That Google Play Services battery drain bullshit affecting watches now too, thanks to WearOS?