Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

wolrah posted:

$deity please let this be true. Samsung has great hardware but I refuse to touch a third-rate single vendor OS when the whole point to me is the apps. If they bring their hardware back to Wear OS it could be the thing to finally kickstart the market. Especially if their SoC division gets involved and finally forces Qualcomm to put more than the bare minimum effort in to the category.

Yeah I gotta say I tried a galaxy watch and I really liked it except that I could not use stuff like the keep app and google maps for biking. If they swap to wear os I'll probably give it a shot, especially if the performance is better than my Fossil Sport (which probably wouldn't be too hard to achieve)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastInLine
Mar 15, 2006

Why stay in the Cape when you can be in the WAVE?

The thing is, every time I see that rumor cited it's that Samsung will use Android for their next watch, not WearOS. Obviously there's the whole CTS thing and all that entails along with how the OHA works but I just find it odd.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

LastInLine posted:

The thing is, every time I see that rumor cited it's that Samsung will use Android for their next watch, not WearOS. Obviously there's the whole CTS thing and all that entails along with how the OHA works but I just find it odd.

I just assume most people don't know it rebranded from Android wear.

LastInLine
Mar 15, 2006

Hey now, one of those new Motorola eBuyNow watches will have Qi charging and a 4100. I'm not in a rush to replace the Asus ZenWatch 2 I've been using, but I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Everyone keeps talking about the wireless charging, but no one's been talking about the two nubs visible on the back which seem like they should be some sort of sensor package. Stress or ecg?

Still though, I think I need to see google put some more commitment behind WearOS before I buy another one. These are probably all likely to be stupid high prices too and I've had way too many WearOS watches burn through their battery longevity before I drop $300 on one of them. One thing that Samsung does right about the Galaxy watches is screw on back sealed by a gasket instead of glue. It's possible to replace their battery without destroying them which should be table stakes for a watch.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why

Fully believeable that Samsung is pivoting off of Tizen. They've been having some insane sales on their watches (more than usual).

LastInLine
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Everyone keeps talking about the wireless charging, but no one's been talking about the two nubs visible on the back which seem like they should be some sort of sensor package. Stress or ecg?

Those nubs look to me just like the ones that are on the current 360:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Those look like fasteners and are recessed.

I mean, could be the same thing, but there are some differences.

LastInLine
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Those look like fasteners and are recessed.

I mean, could be the same thing, but there are some differences.

I was assuming you were referring to the two dots to the left and right of the center dot. Those are sensors. In the picture, the four gold dots in a row are the pogo pin connectors for the magnetic charger and the four dots around the perimeter are indeed recessed screwheads for removing the back.

On the leaked image, all of the same can be seen minus the pogo pins since the watch charges wirelessly instead:

The screws for holding the back on have no pattern on them but I'm pretty sure it's just a rendering and not an actual photo. Either way it looks like the same layout in terms of rear fasteners and central sensor array as the existing watch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

OnePlus's watch is leaked to have an oxygen sensor, 46mm dial option, and warp charging.

There's not confirmation that is running WearOS, but they were working with Google on WearOS so I would say it's likely.

I'm so happy there's a 46mm option because too many watches look like toys on my wrist.

Warp charging is interesting and I wonder how they will implement it (and what the actual charging speeds are.)

Should know everything on the 23rd.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's not going to be WearOS, it's going to be RTOS.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/03/17/oneplus-watch-may-not-run-on-wear-os-after-all/

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Gshocks are getting wear os, but will be expensive

The Verge: Casio announces first Wear OS smartwatch in iconic G-Shock lineup.
https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/1/22362099/casio-gsw-h1000-g-shock-smartwatch-wear-os-google-price

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIJWiKVgKvI

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 1, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's also no indication what chip it uses either.

https://www.droid-life.com/2021/03/30/samsung-really-might-be-close-to-launching-wear-os-watches/

There's more evidence to indicate some sort of Samsung involvement with WearOS, but I'm wondering if it more along the lines of being able to register a galaxy watch with tizen with the wearOS app. We'll just have to see what happens.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

bull3964 posted:

There's also no indication what chip it uses either.

I keep seeing places make a big deal out of it, but it looks like a very, very, very light re-casing of the Pro Trek.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Fairly reliable leaker (except for the last false prediction that cause him to shave his eyebrows off) Jon Prosser has some info on an incoming Pixel watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xioX3XTRomM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Fairly reliable leaker (except for the last false prediction that cause him to shave his eyebrows off) Jon Prosser has some info on an incoming Pixel watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xioX3XTRomM

I'm tentatively hyped. Still using a Pebble.