Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Len posted:

The charge rings in my Fossil Gen 5 are bad enough I'm going to do an RMA. What do I have to do to get them to cover the shipping since it's their poo poo that's jacked?

I've had it go both ways, but the only way to get them to pay shipping to get into a support chat with them. For what it's worth I've had mine "fixed" five times for that problem so far, and most times it comes back from repair nonfunctional or breaks within the first week or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

LastInLine posted:

I've had it go both ways, but the only way to get them to pay shipping to get into a support chat with them. For what it's worth I've had mine "fixed" five times for that problem so far, and most times it comes back from repair nonfunctional or breaks within the first week or so.

Turns out Fossil can just do a replacement in store

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I finally broke down and picked up a Ticwatch Pro 3 because I was bored. It is actually amazing what a somewhat modern SoC does for WearOS. Night and day difference in performance.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, I think this puts a nail in the coffin of a "Pixel" watch since it seems like Samsung is going to be the flagship WearOS device manufacturer moving forward. It would seem really odd for Google to promote this partnership and then launch their own watch a month or so after Samsung launches their new WearOS watch.

I'm really curious what existing Wear OS devices will get any of the backported stuff or if it's going to be a clean slate moving forward. I would guess the minimum requirement would be for 1gb of ram.

I'm going to guess this puts Samsung Health on the eventual chopping block too since it really sounds like all fitness metrics are going to be rolled up into Google Fit which may end up being an amalgamation of Fitbit and Samsung health tracking tech and metrics.

New fitbit devices are going to be WearOS and Fit integrated as well.

Hopefully the fitness tracking gets up to snuff because it would be nice to have one unified fitness platform on android with a huge choice of devices feeding high quality metrics into it.

I can use my Gen 5 or Ticwatch Pro 3 to feed daily heartrate and step data into fit and I can switch to a Fitbit or a Watch Active to track fitness specific data. Metric continuity no matter what wearable or use case.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
WIRED has an exclusive deep dive on Google's plans

Lots of tidbits (New wearable Fitbit app coexisting with the Google Fit app, Google Assistant update planned for 2022 etc) so worth a read.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They said this about Samsung.

"Your existing health data can be exported to newer watches, but more details will come at a later date."

That basically confirms that Samsung Health is going to be going by the wayside.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Considering how they fumbled it so far with both WearOS and Google Fit... meh.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, realistically, this is going to be the only choice on Android moving forward so you better hope they actually hit it out of the park.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Well I'm excited. I have been wearing a galaxy watch for years but always preferred wear os software so if they can combine the best of both I'll definitely buy it, regardless of pixel or galaxy branding.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm cautiously optimistic. Samsung health and fitness tracking is actually really good on recent hardware. The Galaxy Watch 3 is the first device I've ever used that actually has realistic sleep tracking and by all accounts is better than what Apple can do since it uses cardio data to track cycles. The sleep score and the cycle metrics track pretty much exactly with how I feel the next day. The fitness tracking, especially the autodetection stuff, is also really good.

Add in Fitbit ecosystem on top and they could really do something nice here.

They said that they've made it easier to make wear apps and now with a top tier hardware manufacturer onboard there's more incentive to get them on there too. Seems like they are loosening the restrictions on customizations too, but that brings with it the worry that some manufacturers won't keep their devices up to date, but honestly they aren't all on the same version now anyways so it's not like that will change that much.

I'm curious on how extensible to form factors the platform will be. Like, will something like the Fitbit Ace or Charge be able to run WearOS on their smaller screen? Will Samsung be able to do a Fit? With more UI customization it seems like it may be possible. If they can get WearOS entries into the ecosystem in small devices under $100, it could be killer for the platform.

Hopefully Samsung continues their excellent trade in values this fall. I'll trade in the Galaxy Watch 3 for the Galaxy Watch WearOS and the Watch Active 2 I have for the Watch Active WearOS and be set in the wearable department. Consistent tracking between the two, one better suited for exercise and one for general wearing. Then I'll have my (hopefully updated) Ticwatch 3 Pro for times when I need marathon battery or just want a different look.

I expect my Gen 5 to be dead by then based on Fossil's build quality. No issues with it yet, but I suspect it's a matter of time.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 18, 2021

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

bull3964 posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic. Samsung health and fitness tracking is actually really good on recent hardware. The Galaxy Watch 3 is the first device I've ever used that actually has realistic sleep tracking and by all accounts is better than what Apple can do since it uses cardio data to track cycles. The sleep score and the cycle metrics track pretty much exactly with how I feel the next day. The fitness tracking, especially the autodetection stuff, is also really good.

They said that they've made it easier to make wear apps and now with a top tier hardware manufacturer onboard there's more incentive to get them on there too. Seems like they are loosening the restrictions on customizations too, but that brings with it the worry that some manufacturers won't keep their devices up to date, but honestly they aren't all on the same version now anyways so it's not like that will change that much.

I'm curious on how extensible to form factors the platform will be. Like, will something like the Fitbit Ace or Charge be able to run WearOS on their smaller screen? Will Samsung be able to do a Fit? With more UI customization it seems like it may be possible. If they can get WearOS entries into the ecosystem in small devices under $100, it could be killer for the platform.

Hopefully Samsung continues their excellent trade in values this fall. I'll trade in the Galaxy Watch 3 for the Galaxy Watch WearOS and the Watch Active 2 I have for the Watch Active WearOS and be set in the wearable department. Consistent tracking between the two, one better suited for exercise and one for general wearing. Then I'll have my (hopefully updated) Ticwatch 3 Pro for times when I need marathon battery or just want a different look.

I expect my Gen 5 to be dead by then based on Fossil's build quality. No issues with it yet, but I suspect it's a matter of time.

Samsung hardware and the 1st party apps/faces were good, but holy hell is the 3rd party stuff bleh (which is same problem Fitbit has). Samsung Health was also bleh, so some combination of the Samsung hardware expertise + fitbit backend would be great, particularly if they can actually get 3rd parties to make non garbage apps.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I wasn't a huge fan of the Samsung health app itself, but the health and fitness tracking of the actual devices is pretty good. So, Samsung does have some chops with interpreting the sensor data.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

bull3964 posted:

I had one issue with my Gen 5 in the year I had it and that was the charge rings starting to fall off. It's apparently just a thing that happens because ??? I couldn't figure out how to get them to cover the shipping while dealing with their automated customer service so I just went to the Fossil store and they gave me a new one, in and out in 5 minutes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I burned through two Misfit Vapor (1st gen) in about 18 months each before the battery failed on each one. Those are also fossil group.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
I've mentioned my issues with my Fossils in the past but the tl;dr is that I've never had one work more than three consecutive months and I've had like four or five at this point.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

I've mentioned my issues with my Fossils in the past but the tl;dr is that I've never had one work more than three consecutive months and I've had like four or five at this point.
Never bag on someone buying Samsung phones ever again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One of the presenters at I/O yesterday was wearing a Ticwatch Pro 3, so hopefully that means it will be updated to all the good stuff.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Endless Mike posted:

Never bag on someone buying Samsung phones ever again.

Hey now I only paid for the first one, they just keep sending me new ones over and over, with the occasional "repaired" one thrown in which is why I have no idea how many different ones I've had.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Here's hoping the new watches come out soon, and there's some that look like regular metal watches. My 2nd-generation Moto 360 is on its second battery, and I think that one's starting to die.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I had a Galaxy watch and liked the hardware but hated the software. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Samsung wear watches shake out

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

In true fashion of the thread name I just bought my Fossil Gen 5 last year but I'm ready to blow cash on a Samsung watch. My uncle has one of the Galaxy Watches and it seemed so much nicer than my Asus Zen3. I especially liked the spinning bezel, far better than a rotating crown.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Samsung usually launches watches at their August unpacked event. Now, this year is a bit unusual in that they've already told us when then current watches will go completely out of support which could hurt sales, but I still doubt the launch will be sooner given the amount of work that still needs to be done on the new version of wear.

I suspect that look and feel wise, they are going to be very very close to the current Tizen watches given the greater latitude Google is giving to manufacturers on customizing the OS. So, if you are fine with the look and feel of Tizen and just wish you had Wear apps, then you'll probably love the watches. If you hate everything about the current UI, I doubt the new watches will be a dramatic departure.

I really like my galaxy watch 3 and the thought of not needing (hopefully) to install a bunch of Samsung companion stuff to use it on top of having Google assistant and thing like maps and messages sounds really awesome to me. I am annoyed that they made no mention of a Wear version of Chat, so I'm going to just have to hope that's coming.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 20, 2021

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I really like my galaxy watch 3 and the thought of not needing (hopefully) to install a bunch of Samsung companion stuff to use it on top of having Google assistant and thing like maps and messages sounds really awesome to me. I am annoyed that they made no mention of a Wear version of Chat, so I'm going to just have to hope that's coming.

It's Google so we're going to get four different chat apps for Wear

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's also a currently circulating rumor that the new watches will have a 5nm processor in them which would be a huge leap over the 10nm Exynos 9110 in the current Galaxy Watches.

Now, if true, it may still be A53 cores like the current 9110 and the 7270 before it. On paper, the only thing that changed between the 2016 and 2018 part was the die shrink and an extra 150mhz. But hopefully it will be an A55 based part. But the die shrink alone should help it use a lot less power.

The 4100 and 4100+ are 12nm parts.

It's going to be interesting if Fossil Group and other Wear watch makers switch to Exynos across the board. Would serve Qualcomm right. I wonder if that's why we haven't seen a Gen 6 yet.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Humerus posted:

In true fashion of the thread name I just bought my Fossil Gen 5 last year but I'm ready to blow cash on a Samsung watch. My uncle has one of the Galaxy Watches and it seemed so much nicer than my Asus Zen3. I especially liked the spinning bezel, far better than a rotating crown.

Thread title quote is from me. :) I've gone like two years without a new smart watch so it's time. Will be about my 10th smart watch overall.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How is that possible that math don't add up

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
I looked through the new Wear developer docs that have been released so far (it's surprisingly lacking) and the big unknown for me is how watch faces will work. With current WearOS you need to make a Service and override an Engine subclass to implement a face. While one can now use Kotlin, which is nice, the need to make a service means that implementing a face in say, Flutter, is a no-go. I looked into Tizen a while back and to make a face there, it's implemented in javascript, which is somehow an even worse decision. With the popularity of Facer and PujieBlack, I'm sure they'll have some way of supporting that kind of limited customization.
The jetpack support for Wear apps is great news though.

I couldn't give less of a poo poo about health and fitness stuff in my watch. I really wish they'd at least address the part of the market that wants a tech device on their wrist rather than a health device that happens to tell time and serve notifications.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
I guess what baffles me is, Google doesn't really seem interested in making a Wear a thing? Which is weird because of the massive popularity of Apple Watches and how much their users love them. Honestly, one of the deal killers for me switching to Android is the fact that there is absolutely nothing close to an Android equivalent.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

5TonsOfFlax posted:

I couldn't give less of a poo poo about health and fitness stuff in my watch. I really wish they'd at least address the part of the market that wants a tech device on their wrist rather than a health device that happens to tell time and serve notifications.

Yup, thus is me to a T. Just give me notifications, app interactions, and custom faces and I'll be happy.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

One thing I noticed since I switched back to Facer is now my keyboard and pin pad are different? That seems weird to me for that to be affected

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

codo27 posted:

One thing I noticed since I switched back to Facer is now my keyboard and pin pad are different? That seems weird to me for that to be affected

There was a big gboard update like two weeks back, you probably just got that at the same time

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Three Olives posted:

I guess what baffles me is, Google doesn't really seem interested in making a Wear a thing? Which is weird because of the massive popularity of Apple Watches and how much their users love them. Honestly, one of the deal killers for me switching to Android is the fact that there is absolutely nothing close to an Android equivalent.
While it's based on Android, there's probably a separate team dealing with the watch specifics. And since it ain't a superstar project like search or main Android, I expect that Google's MO still applies, i.e. trying to get promoted away and no one wanting to maintain things. Ultimately that means it'll stagnate again eventually.

That said, I'd say the abysmal hardware that was available up until now didn't help things.

Also, now that I have an Apple watch... I used to despise the rectangular form factor, since it doesn't look like a traditional watch. In retrospect, I like it more, because it doesn't have to compromise on some UI things because of a round display surface. I had a Galaxy Watch before, and while it was functional, looking back, the UI was still rather terrible. That and up until now Apple seemed to have a semblance of innovation, while Samsung just copied them (how far they trailed behind depends on industrial espionage I guess).

Personally, I care a bit about the fitness stuff, and in particular the heart rate sensor, and neither my Fitbits nor the GW have been particularly reliable, whereas the one in the AW6 seems pretty robust. And Apple's calorie estimation seems rather spot on, given what my Excel and diet say. Didn't apply to the others either.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
My big hope for WearOS is that assistant will actually work and not just show a web search result for the basic tasks I ask it for.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

codo27 posted:

How is that possible that math don't add up

You don't think there's been at least 10 smartwatches to buy? Check my post history.

Edit: reminisced through my many old posts myself and man I kinda miss my LG urbane 2. Good looking watch. Sold it to a friend who I think still wears it daily.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 22, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

You don't think there's been at least 10 smartwatches to buy? Check my post history.

I'm just freaked out by people, likewise in the main android thread, who just buy everything on the market apparently

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Just trying to distract myself in this corporate dystopia wasteland we live in my friend.

It's my job to be familiar with everything too, for better or worse.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
After years of not wanting one, I want a smart watch, the main reason being I'm going to be on a pager rotation at work and I want something I can wear on my wrist that will wake me with haptics and not wake my spouse; literally everyone I work with solves this with smart watches.

I don't need the top of the line but I also don't need to cheap out per se. What should I be looking at? My rotations don't start until August so I have a little time to figure this out.

I'm going to be in a tough spot in that in general I like opulently large displays, but I don't really like wearing giant watches and I have thin bird wrists (6'1" tall, it's like 7" around my wrist at narrowest point).

edit: phone is a OnePlus 7T at present.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

Cabbages and Kings posted:

After years of not wanting one, I want a smart watch, the main reason being I'm going to be on a pager rotation at work and I want something I can wear on my wrist that will wake me with haptics and not wake my spouse; literally everyone I work with solves this with smart watches.

I don't need the top of the line but I also don't need to cheap out per se. What should I be looking at? My rotations don't start until August so I have a little time to figure this out.

I'm going to be in a tough spot in that in general I like opulently large displays, but I don't really like wearing giant watches and I have thin bird wrists (6'1" tall, it's like 7" around my wrist at narrowest point).

I'm in the same boat as you, height and wrist size-wise, so I got the smaller of the Samsung Active 2 sizes. No complaints so far, I use it for tracking bike rides and workouts mainly. I've never slept with it on, I can imagine the battery life may be a problem at that point, it's not the greatest. My wife got the Fitbit Versa 2 and seems to like that as well, it has a several-day battery life, although she did have some issues pairing it to her phone via bluetooth initially.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Cabbages and Kings posted:

The only sensible option today is the Ticwatch Pro 3. Beyond that there is the leaked Motorolas which haven't even been announced and any of the Samsungs that have been in announced in concept only with no firm dates but don't expect anything soon. There are also Samsung's Tizen watches which people say are fine but who knows what's up with them with the new announcement and OnePlus's watch which everyone says is straight up garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, we know what's up with the existing Tizen watches. They are going to get updates for 3 years from their sale start date.

The new Samsung watches are supposed to be the first on the new WearOS. It is COMPLETELY up in the air if anything existing on the Wear side will be updated to the new software (including the Ticwatch).

If Samsung follows their normal schedule, the new watches will be in their August unpacked event.