Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

VelociBacon posted:

Sup HSBC bro

That's weird, HSBC supports Google Pay in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

codo27 posted:

I run my watch always on because it's a watch and gently caress having to press a button when I wanna see the time. I turn off the screen at night on the odd nights I'm not charging, and suddenly now it's asking me to confirm "theater mode" when I try to do it. Lame

What watch? Mine (Fossil Gen 5) has always asked for confirmation before turning on theatre mode too.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

pointlessone posted:

I have a weird use case. I don't particularly like wearing watches, but I've recently gotten an ebike and rediscovered the joys of riding. I'm not looking for anything crazy (I think), I'd like to be able to run GPS, GPay and be able to get a notification if someone sends me a message or calls.

I'll have my phone with me so it wouldn't need to do this stuff stand alone, but the phone is normally tucked in my backpack where I never hear it go off. Is there something reasonable and cheap that can handle this instead of the $200-400 full featured stuff like the Fossils I see recommended?

To me, it sounds a bit like maybe a Fitbit would suit you better than a WearOS watch, if that's all you want it for. The fitness tracking is better, they handle notifications and while they don't have Google Pay, a lot of them do have Fitbit Pay which does basically the same thing.

I'm not really sure what's in the current range so can't recommend a specific model, but I know there are a few that do all of those things.

e: I have a gen 5 fossil and while I really like the watch, I find the fitness tracking stuff is one of its weakest points, so because it seems like it's your main use case, is why I say this.

chippy fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 15, 2021

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

pointlessone posted:

Honestly, I'm less concerned about the fitness tracking aspect. If it works, fine, but visual gps and notifications are key. I just want some method of contactless payments because it seems like a cool feature to not need to dig my wallet or phone out to grab a Gatorade at a gas station.

If by visual GPS you mean you want to see a map on the screen, Google Maps is the only thing I've seen that can does this on WearOS, and it doesn't do a good job of it. The screen's too small and it's laggy. All the ride tracking things (including Googe Fit) that I've used just show you stats on the screen while you ride, rather than directions or a map.

e: I agree with everything the poster above me said about contactless payments. I used it once or twice when I got the watch and then went back to using my phone.