Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hi, I'm a Pebble refugee, I'm cancelling my Time 2 after the latest news, and I'm interesting in getting an Android Wear watch instead. I'm not a super power user and the most important thing to me is battery life. Fitness tracking also isn't a big deal for a watch, I mainly use it for notifications/interacting with notifications, and remote control of things like music. Reasonable price is important, after battery life. What would you guys recommend? Or, should I wait for this AW refresh that someone mentioned? I would like to take advantage of Boxing Day sales next month for a watch if possible too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rastor posted:

If it's possible for you to wait for Android Wear 2.0, then wait. We know it's going to be very different and we don't know which watches are going to get it or when.

FWIW, Android Police picked the Asus Zenwatch 3 as the best current Android Wear device.

That does look very nice. I have a Best Buy Canada gift card too, so that wouldn't be a bad idea. I've been very out of the loop on AW, do you have a link or a summary of this 2.0 refresh? Might be worth waiting, I'm not adverse to that.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thanks! Looks like the Zenwatch 3 is confirmed to be getting Wear 2.0, so I may pick one up. Cheers thread.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I've owned most of the more popular Android Wear watches and my current one's (LG Urbane second edition) battery is by far the best, in large part due to the size of the watch and its LTE capability. 80% battery at the end of the day is normal.

That one looks cool but I really strongly do not need/want cellular capability, considering the better SoC too I'm still leaning towards the Zenwatch 3 tbh

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I use IFTTT for some minor social media things but I think it's pretty cool and want to use it more.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

wolrah posted:

Android Wear 2.0 DP4 has come out and has reverted some things to work more like the current version: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/12/android-wear-2-0-dev-preview-4-works-more-like-wear-1-0/

Compatibility with 1.0-style bundled apps has been restored, as has swiping back. Bundled apps don't auto-install anymore, now they prompt, and the separate app on the watch store is still the recommended long-term solution.

As usual HWatch and LG Urbane 2nd Edition users who feel like playing around can grab the images here: https://developer.android.com/wear/preview/index.html

I'm going to wait a few days to see if there are any showstoppers, but this seems like they realized where they had gone wrong on DP3 so it might be quite usable.

edit: They also bought another smartwatch company: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/12/google-acquires-smartwatch-os-startup-cronologics-founded-by-ex-employees/

These are all good things, sounds like 2017 will be better than 2016 for AW.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm really surprised they're not taking advantage of the Pixel brand.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Apparently Huawei had an issue with not having their branding on Pixel stuff, so my guess is they're the mystery manufacturer

Yeah, makes sense. Bummer though, Google finally has a widely known and publicized brand and they aren't using it...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Huawei already said they are pulling back from Google Wear. It's LG, they already have an LTE Google Wear watch running the 2.0 beta, they have publically committed to next gen Wear watches and they are the only major manufacturer still in the game.

Asus and Sony?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I got a ZenWatch 3 for Christmas and it's really cool, A+++

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

poo poo, I'm not having that issue yet but this strap definitely isn't super high quality leather. Hopefully Asus sells straps soon, I still can only see ZenWatch 2 accessories online.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wtf kind of company issues Apple watches???

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Just sell it imo if it was a gift. I tried an Apple Watch and it was horrible, not only is it ugly and boring, the interface/UI is ridiculously terrible.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

eyebeem posted:

They are issuing apple watches to all employees as part of a health and fitness initiative. I get a ceramic due to my position, but they are issuing series 1 aluminum to the proles.

I do have to use it, really. Not playing ball would look bad when I'm one of the guys that has to rah rah rah to my direct reports how this makes us such a great company to work for.

Lmao I want to ask more questions about your company which is a little personal and nosey for SA, but wow

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Ambient light sensors? If not, I wouldn't consider one at any price.

Agreed, it's essential on a smartwatch.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Those are ugly as poo poo. I'm even more happy with my Zenwatch 3 now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ashex posted:

Asus finally started selling accessories.

http://store.asus.com/us/category/A38497

Still no battery pack :effort:

Thermopyle posted:

Well call me crazy, but maybe before we crucify Google we should wait to see the actual devices instead of some rumored low-rez image.

Remember how everyone poo poo on the Pixel's design before it came out? Same with the 6P.

Yeah but the looks of a watch matter more than a phone, a watch is a part of your fashion whereas a phone is not.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

That misses the point. People changed their opinion on the looks of those phones after seeing them in person or in higher resolution photos.

Also, I disagree that a phone is not a part of your fashion. Maybe not for everyone, but a lot of people care a lot about what their phone says about them.

I still think the Pixel is hideous but you've seen how much I rave about it. I put every phone I ever own into a case so the looks of the back don't matter to me.

And okay, but your phone is in your pocket/purse/bag a lot, a watch is always out there and watch looks are extremely important. You can't put a case on your watch to change that.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I kinda feel you're doing the same, but whatever, it's fine, sorry if I came off that way.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lostleaf posted:

Has there been any info whether ZenWatch 3 has NFC capabilities? I know the 2100 chipset supports it but I'm wondering if the antennas are there.

I have it, and there is no NFC in the watch.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I wouldn't buy/wear that personally but it's not bad. Looks much better than the Apple Watch or Pebbles at least.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Aside from the part between the lugs and bezels being filled in on the LG, I'd say it's a dead ringer. I wonder how much thicker the LG is, those Timex watches are a lot thinner in person than in pictures. Either way it's a classic look that isn't bad at all.

e: Looking at the comments on the AP article (I know, I know) everyone is making GBS threads on the fact that it doesn't have a heartrate sensor. Am I alone in thinking that the heartrate sensors on every AW watch have been so inaccurate that I'd prefer any future model to lack one? What's the point of having one if it's never right? Are these idiots just assuming that a new model would have a functional one instead of a broken one like every other watch or am I the idiot and this is indeed the killer app that smartwatches have to have? Looking around at the Americans I see, fitness tracking is not high on their wishlists but we all have our own bubbles...

I work out regularly and have zero use for a watch heart rate monitor, and have no issues with the fact my ZW3 doesn't have one. It's not something I look for in a smartwatch so I don't think it'll affect it much.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I don't think Android Pay will ever come out in Canada at this rate

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

wolrah posted:

Yikes.

Bottom is a Moto 360 Gen2 42mm, image stolen from Ars.

That too. It's seemingly necessary for cellular, but that's one more good reason why I don't want cellular in my watch.

That thing is huuuuge and I have big manly wrists. The ZW3 is about as big as I'd go I think

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

In Canada since there's still no Android Pay, my bank has their own app with NFC credit card payment. It tends to crash a little too often but still works surprisingly well. Seeing as most places here are pretty modern with payment methods (chip/pin is default and 90% of places take tap) I've been able to use it everywhere. Except for my favourite drat sushi place which is still chip/pin :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I use my devices pretty hard and I still get 4h+ screen on time with my Pixel XL and day and a half on my ZW3 (ambient on, raise to wake on, gestures off)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

How does everyone like their ZW3? All the new watches look dumb and although I'd love NFC Android Pay will never come to Canada.

It's great, and looks far more stylish and "cool" compared to the vast majority of smartwatches. I get a lot of compliments!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Got a Zenwatch 3 and I've been getting insane compliments and man is the battery life amazing. So happy with it.

Agreed, it's superb and looks like a really nice fancy watch!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

[quote="Nerdrock" post="469706450"] and the 'optional battery pack' inbound from BHPhoto

Oh poo poo I just saw this came out and they had it in stock. Maybe I should pick up an extra strap too, this leather one looks nice but doesn't seem very durable nor high quality.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah, when I go out after work it's still good on battery. So I take my ZW3 off the charger at 8am or so, and get home at 10-11pm, and it's low but still good.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ZW3 apps are completely non intrusive and I forget I even have them installed sometimes.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

How's the battery life on that ZW3 ROM? I've never flashed to a watch before, was it straightforward?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That's not too bad, might try it.

Is there any way to disable the controls that appear on my watch during a phone call? I don't need them and they're annoying since sometimes after a call they stick around on the screen. By controls I mean the microphone, volume, and hang up screens that appear during a call.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nerdrock posted:

ZenWatch Manager on your phone > Tools > FoneHelper > Remote call control.

Oh my god thank you

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Humerus posted:

Lastly, I've spent hours upon hours looking for watch faces I like and Skymaster is pretty close to perfect for me, but I'd love to see what you goons are rocking.

I'm using this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.smartwatchface.odyssey.watch.face with the gold colour scheme that I find matches the ZW3 perfectly, I get a lot of compliments about it

(doxxing my own manly wrist here)

The eco mode is just airplane mode, yeah. I'm afraid I don't have an answer for the fitness tracking stuff, I agree it's unnecessarily confusing and weird with the Asus app added in there.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Humerus posted:

Odyssey is another I've been looking at and with that color scheme it looks a lot better than the default on the store page, for sure. Guess I'll spend the survey bucks after all.

It looks more gold than shows up in that photo too, I recommend it, it suits the ZW3 perfectly.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Hmm, so which AW watch should I buy.

My OG Moto 360 only lasts a few hours before battery is dead so I need to just get something. I was hoping Google's (LG's) new watches would be great, but they're ho-hum.

So I just need something that looks decent but I don't want to spend a lot because ... well nothing available is all that great. I do get a lot of utility out of my 360, so I don't want to just give up on smartwatches.

I was thinking about looking for something used, but not sure how I feel about that.

ZenWatch 3. It's on the cheap side, looks fantastic and like a real watch, and actually is pretty drat good as far as quality goes.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

G-Prime posted:

Do I just have a freak of a watch, or is my use case dramatically different from everyone else? I generally burn 30% every 24 hours on my original G Watch, that's actively been in use since maybe a month after it launched. I keep my brightness at 4, and don't use always on, so maybe that's it? I reply to notifications via voice using it a couple times a day, maybe do a few actual voice commands as well, and other than that just dismiss notifications.

I can last a very full day on my ZW3 (like, say I put it on and leave for work at 7, get home after evening stuff around 11-midnight, it would be just ready to die at like 10%). I use auto brightness and always-on, because I feel that'd be crippling my experience without.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The Asus and LG's are the Casio of this world. People who want function over fashion. That's not where the majority of the market is.

Disagree on the Asus. The ZW3 absolutely values fashion over function and imo looks better than any other smartwatch currently on the market. It's lacking in features, such as missing NFC, but has a nice lower price point too. I regularly get compliments on how nice it looks, over competitors like the Apple watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I feel like the people who care about watch fashion aren't going to care about the looks of the watch if its made by Asus instead of insert-fashion-watch-brand.

Or in other words there's not going to be much cross-shopping between the ZW3 and a Tag Heur or whatever.

Fair enough.