Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Cithen posted:

Yeah, I was referring to the AW OS itself.

What doesn't the OS have that you're looking for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Had the watch for a week and the flat tire doesn't bother me in the least bit. The biggest thing I feel like I'm missing with AW is the ability to cruise through my list of text messages/hangouts/emails/calendar and not just see the incoming that's in the hopper. I understand that it's a design decision, but I'm looking for one level deeper as an extension of my phone.

I think the idea is that you shouldn't be using your watch to go back in time 30 days in text messages. You can look back in the conversation and that's enough.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

MC Hawking posted:

Can you be a little more specific? I've not used Now because it requires location data to be turned on which makes my inner tinfoil hatter break out in hives.

Edit: I'm aware what Now does conceptually but I'm not exactly sure what portions of it are vital to Wear general functionality. I've been under the impression that push notifications and such are handled by it's API hooks but I could very well be misinformed.

Just use it. No one cares about your cat photos or level 90 orc.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

AnimalChin posted:

Holy crap.

:bang:

Hilarious because I didn't know the answer too but drat was that obvious

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Logikv9 posted:

If your watch is out of bluetooth range of the phone, it can still be kept updated/"connected" via wifi.

My question is does it have to be in the same Wi-Fi, or could I leave my phone at home and my watch still works to send texts etc at work?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I'm actually not looking forward to the new update when it comes to voice commands. Right now tapping once will bring it up. Now it seems like I'll have to tap then swipe twice to get to it. I don't like the whole OK Google hot word.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Takoluka posted:

But why would you want always full brightness and not "Don't be bright when I'm not looking at it"?

Exactly. I don't want a constant light source on my wrist with a white watch face. It looks and works fine.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Three Olives posted:

The thing I am really waiting for is Wear specific chipsets. MediaTek announced a while back that they are shipping in volume already. A stripped down modern chip paired with a OLED instead of a crippled Snapdragon 400 should give stellar battery life and open up new app possibilities.

What new app possibilities?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
It's the perfect first generation device for me. Best look on the market by far. Considering I use it for notifications I'm completely happy with how it performs.

I'll gladly use it until a new game changer comes out - no need to get any type of incremental upgrade until then.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Three Olives posted:

I was barely, barely considering picking up a 360 now that they are being cleared out so I tried one on today:

Nope, I'm sorry, it does not pass for a normal watch, even if it round. Maybe techno jewelry but the thing looks way bigger and less watch like on my wrist than my G Watch with a leather band.

Jesus your arms are small. A ton of watches will look like poo poo on you. It will also pass like a normal watch if there was a watch face displaying instead of it being a black void but Jesus eat some food dude.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Three Olives posted:

No, I'm saying that the 360 looks comically large on my wrists and could never pass as a traditional watch. Might as well pocket the money and have something that costs much less, runs the latest software, is faster and has better battery life.

You're ragging on a really good watch because it looks bad on you. Kinda weird.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I hate not being able to tap on the screen to bring up voice commands. Hate. Instead I have to go through a contact page..... What the hell for?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

G-Prime posted:

Are you meaning a list of possible commands? Because you can flick your wrist to turn on the screen and say "OK Google" on mine, and then immediately issue a command. I don't understand why you'd want to involve a second hand for that. That kinda defeats the point of voice commands, in my eyes.

I don't like saying OK Google. I also don't care about a contact list stuck between my watch face and recently used apps. It would be cool if you could organize the pages your watch shows you

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I love the painted on numbers. Classy. Makes sense when you use a digital watch face too.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Because displaying center justified text and interface elements on a circular display makes so much sense? I still stand by my earlier point, round displays on smart watches makes absolutely no sense and is clearly a hindrance to user interaction but given the current state of every Android Wear device having major flaws this seemed like the best compromise for me. Also I chose that particular digital watch face specifically because it has second indicator that revolves around the watch making the etched on numbers at least make a tiny bit of logical sense even though they are completely pointless.

You looked like a hypocrite, pointed out the watch flaws and agreed with me in one post. Some kind of hatrick.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
You can apparently buy just the metal bands at best buy in the states for the moto 360. Don't see that option for Canada. Sucks because I want one badly.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Three Olives posted:

If anyone wants to make fun of my girlish wrists again my Urbane came in:

It's too big on your wrist.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Who loving cares how much people spend on stuff.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

surc posted:

As somebody who may someday buy an android watch, but will not buy an android watch and a fitbit because I'm not going to switch watches for exercise, this seems like an idea that would allow them to continue selling their own hardware at their own prices, while also meaning I might purchase their hardware in the future, instead of just not. Why is it moronic?

I also think it's a cool idea

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
How do I make a shortcut button to an app on Pujie?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Under Settings, Tap Actions, Mini Tap Targets, set the app you want. Under your watch face, Mini Tap Target tab, specify where you want it.

Hey thanks dude

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

LastInLine posted:

No problem, that whole app makes things a little harder than things should be and has some odd limitations. Like you can't use a background of your choosing, which I find strange, the watch hand selections are just awful, and maybe this is just me but I'd think if your whole gimmick was the giant tracing circles for things that you'd also have the option for rings but with a cutout where the indicator would be but they don't. I also wish the ambient notification banner would obscure the watch hands the way the stock Moto one did (or it was at least an option).

It's my personal go-to example for an app that's 90% of what you want it to be.

That said I ended up making a face I really like a lot that incorporates the flat tire gracefully, looks great, and has a sweet ambient mode so I've been using it most of the time I've had my 360/2.

Talk about difficult, finding how to toggle between 24/12 hour clock was hard too.

Last thing - i would like the watch to show the actual day (Wednesday etc) .... how can I accomplish this?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

LastInLine posted:

On the watch face, Interactive tab, Digital Clock, Top Label, select Wednesday and the properties you want.

You're amazing. Thank you.

Anything else I should know that is useful?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I love how it still doesn't capitalize the first word in a text message.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Since the 360 V1 can barely handle the current Wear system I seriously doubt it will be up to handling standalone apps.

I own this watch and don't notice it barely handling anything.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I'm pissed. My OG 360 has bad battery life and is starting to just act funky.

I kept saying I'd wait for Google to release their offerings but seriously - who the gently caress approved those?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
How does everyone like their ZW3? All the new watches look dumb and although I'd love NFC Android Pay will never come to Canada.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Got a Zenwatch 3 and I've been getting insane compliments and man is the battery life amazing. So happy with it.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

lostleaf posted:

Did ZenWatch 3 update to 2.0 come out yet?

Not for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

LastInLine posted:

If that's the typical real world performance I guess that reinforces what I should have already known about tech reviews.

If I’m not mistaken, the battery was poo poo on that watch until an update. If not that watch I’m sure it was another that I read about.