Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Anyone have or seen one of the Casio Android Wear ABC watches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Are there any wear os watches with a clickwheel? I liked the Galaxy watch I had from a style and functionality standpoint but I didn't like how no Android apps worked with it

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Got a Fossil sport today and so far playing around with it at home I like it a lot more than the Samsung I had. It's nice to be able to use Android apps on the phone. Samsung was not particularly compatible in my experience

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I've had a Fossil sport for a few weeks now and I really like it. Google Pay is neat to use, which I never used on my phone because I don't have a lockscreen on it (yeah, probably a bad idea). I like that keep works on WearOS and I can check things off my grocery list without having to have my phone in hand.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Why would you have no lockscreen on your phone but use one on your watch? That lockscreen was so annoying I disabled it before a week was up, I just couldn't take it. Also why would you not just use the fingerprint reader on your phone?

If the watch is on your wrist you only enter it once. Using Google Pay forces a lockscreen on the watch, and did so on the phone as well which is why I had never used Google Pay before

I've tried using fingerprint reader before, but it's still another step to opening the phone and it's annoying

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have a Fossil Sport and OnePlus 3T. I get notifications on my watch, but it shows as not connected to the internet unless I'm at home and the watch is on wifi, and I can't use things like Assistant or Keep because it won't grab internet from my phone

I've narrowed it down to an issue with Bluetooth Tethering shutting off on it's own. I can get it to work for a bit by turning on Bluetooth Tethering and then restarting my phone but the Tethering will turn off after a bit.

Anyone else had an issue like this? Some things seem to sync back and fourth to my phone - heart rate and fit data sync, but not keep. I get notifications for WhatsApp and Discord but I can't send messages. Texts seem to work fine sending.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I was using Google pay quite a bit and then my credit card company sent me a replacement with the contactless payment chip so now I usually just use that

Which is nice because Google pay on the watch(fossil sport) is super slow

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My fossil sport got an update and the battery seems to be lasting twice as long

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Echophonic posted:

Am I going to regret springing for the 99 dollar Fossil Sport as my first smartwatch?

I have a sport and I like it

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My wife was complaining her fossil wear os stopped giving her notifications

She had turned off Bluetooth on her phone :psyduck:

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

wolrah posted:

$deity please let this be true. Samsung has great hardware but I refuse to touch a third-rate single vendor OS when the whole point to me is the apps. If they bring their hardware back to Wear OS it could be the thing to finally kickstart the market. Especially if their SoC division gets involved and finally forces Qualcomm to put more than the bare minimum effort in to the category.

Yeah I gotta say I tried a galaxy watch and I really liked it except that I could not use stuff like the keep app and google maps for biking. If they swap to wear os I'll probably give it a shot, especially if the performance is better than my Fossil Sport (which probably wouldn't be too hard to achieve)

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

pointlessone posted:

Thanks folks, I appreciate the help. It sounds like wearos just isn't what I'm looking for. I'm just going to hold off on a wrist device and maybe figure out how to mount my phone to the handlebars instead.

But, maybe the Samsung will be good!

Fwiw I used a Fossil Sport for bike nav and it was fine

It puts turn directions with distance on the face in large font, so you're not really looking at the map. It also vibrates when you're near the turn

I do have the complaints that the sport is kind of slow sometimes especially when opening apps but overall it worked for what I wanted - keep, maps, gpay, fitness tracking. Was the fitness tracking super accurate? No, but it works well enough

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 16, 2021

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I had a Galaxy watch and liked the hardware but hated the software. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Samsung wear watches shake out

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Does the Watch 4 allow any Wear OS apps like Keep, Google Maps, Google Pay? I use a Pixel 4a and I'm hoping that the watch will have good integration with the apps on my phone. I tried a Galaxy watch before but being forced to use Samsung apps, which I didn't use on my phone, significantly reduced the functionality of the watch so I returned it.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Do the Samsung trade-in program usually stick around? I have a Fossil Sport that is not very responsive anymore (not that it was super fast to begin with, but it's gotten much worse).

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Just got an email on Pixel Watch preorder. I was a little surprised there wasn't much of a discount or perk added for preordering.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

With the Pixel Watch, do you need FitBit Premium for the heart rate to show up in the fitbit app on your phone?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Because I'm a dork I got a few of the Spigen/Caseology pixel watch cases/bands

Caseology Vault is decent if you want to add some raised bumper and use the default watch band. Would buy if you want a bumper case.

Spigen Liquid Air is the same idea as the vault but the case material is really flexible and moves around a bunch so I don't like it. Wouldn't buy.

Caseology Nano Pop is a nice lightweight replacement band/case. Would buy. If you're looking for a different band and a more traditional clasp.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is there any way to temporarily set the screen to not shut off on a Pixel watch? Use case is looking at a Keep grocery list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have a pixel 6a and a PW1 and I have the always on display off. Every time I turn the watch screen on it defaults to the Spotify player. Is there any way to disable this? I haven't been able to find any setting.