Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Cithen posted:

Is there any anticipation as to when Android Wear will roll out its second generation? I am excited about wearables, but not sold on the functionality quite yet for either Apple or Android devices. Plus I would really like to get away from Apple stuff.
Google IO will be May 28-29. If there is going to be an Android Wear announcement of any significance, chances are it will be then.

With that said, I expect Android Wear changes to be incremental, not revolutionary, and for existing models to get new features (unless they require different hardware).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Unfortunately (for your use case) "a small extension of my phone" is where Google seems to be going with Android Wear. If you want more of an independent device there's the Samsung Gear S and the LG Watch Urbane LTE.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Android Wear protips:

Tired of seeing the persistent Android Wear notification on your phone? Upgrade your Google Play Services to 7.3.

Tired of seeing an app's notifications on your Wear device? you can block that app from sending notifications to Wear.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Wee Bairns posted:

Yes, its a very decent introduction to Android Wear at that good of a price.
Only bad thing about the LG G watch is that it's so dedicated to the simplicity philosophy of Android Wear that it 100% lacks any physical buttons on its face or body.

It does have a reset button hole you can push with a paperclip however. Also it can take a standard watch strap.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

To explain what is happening in this animated screenshot: Now if you tap the watch face, you will get the option to launch apps, scroll right to message most frequent contacts and scroll right again to perform voice commands.

This is actually a pretty significant change, and should address all the complaints that "Android Wear sucks because it's hard to launch apps".

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

w00tazn posted:

One of the watches on the top of the moto blog site has the tire and one doesn't...

The 360-2 is basically all but confirmed at this point.
If you zoom and enhance that second watch does show some flat tire, just maybe not quite as much as a 360 should have.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Sony made a blog post about the Android Wear 5.1 update.

Two of the items in their list were not mentioned previously:

quote:

* Much like your Android smartphone, the new Android Wear update will bring pop up notifications (even when you’re looking at something else), meaning you’ll never miss anything important

* New adjustable font sizes… will let you can see more or less of the text on-screen

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

MC Hawking posted:

Can you be a little more specific? I've not used Now because it requires location data to be turned on which makes my inner tinfoil hatter break out in hives.

Edit: I'm aware what Now does conceptually but I'm not exactly sure what portions of it are vital to Wear general functionality. I've been under the impression that push notifications and such are handled by it's API hooks but I could very well be misinformed.
I don't think any of us will know first hand because Now is one of the best things about Android and Android Wear and I'm guessing we all use it. But according to Reddit, it will work.

With that said, Google Now is pretty great, and you should use it. Google is not going to let anyone but Google know about your location without deliberate action on your part.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

MC Hawking posted:

Hey maybe you could answer the question of 'what functionality to I lose by not enabling google now with android wear" instead of getting all huffy that I'm not utilizing my gadgets in exactly the way which you deem preferable.

Look, all I want to know is if I can get push notifications (texts/email synopsis) and control my media playback without enabling google now. Is that so hard a thing to expound upon?

Rastor posted:

according to Reddit, it will work.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

booshi posted:

Anyone know if any good todo apps have been moved to AW yet? Todoist can do it, but required manually pushing data.
Google Keep has Android Wear support and has been adding features for due dates, etc.

Worth a shot, depending how feature-rich you need your todo app to be.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

TraderStav posted:

Have a link? Nothing good is coming up in the play store.

The Pip Boy faces that go into the play store seem to get disappeared, you may have better luck with a Facer theme.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

StackSocial is giving away a Huawei Watch, which they value at $500:

https://stacksocial.com/giveaways/the-huawei-watch-giveaway

They cross-brand their site widely so chances are there's an affiliated link through your favorite Android blog.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

For me, the unveiling of the Huawei Watch stole a lot of the Urbane's thunder. On the other hand, the Urbane is available now / tomorrow and the Huawei Watch is not.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Watch Urbane is now available in The Google Store, $349.
G Watch R Was $299, now $249.

The two watches have the same internals except the Urbane has a Wifi antenna and therefore supports the new Wifi features.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Reverse Centaur posted:

May be too big for people with small wrists - it feels bigger than the GWR somehow (more rigid/flat maybe?), and you can see how small the 360 looked on me up thread.
Yeah a coworker has the GWR and it looks huge, my scrawny wrists would not be sufficient.

Droid Life published two Android Wear related items this morning:

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/04/29/moto-360s-monolink-band-is-back-in-stock-at-moto-maker/

The classy monolink band is now back in stock when you customize a Moto 360 order.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/04/29/tag-heuers-android-wear-watch-will-cost-around-1400-have-40-hour-battery-life/

TAG Heuer smartwatch rumors: It will come out in October-November timeframe, it will have 40 hour battery life, and it will cost $1400. Interesting price point, falling in between the Apple Watch Standard and the Apple Watch Edition.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

LG has released a Wear app to make calls, but only for the Watch Urbane.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Reverse Centaur posted:

Someone finally made an Urbane review.

Actually pretty much all the usual sites did reviews:

http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis/lg-watch-urbane-reviews-round-up-find-out-what-tech-critics-are-saying-266711.html

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm really having trouble finding the use case for smart watches. It seems like in most cases you're either able to take out your phone or it's not situationally appropriate to be on your phone. (In which case it probably isn't appropriate to be swiping away at your watch, either!)

A smartwatch isn't (usually) life changing, it's a convenience gadget. Like a Roomba, or a TV box that supports multiple sources of content. Yeah you could vacuum floors yourself, yeah you could plug your laptop into your TV, but with the gadget you don't have to deal with that.

A lot of smartwatch havers talk about how they don't have to pull out their phone much thanks to the smartwatch and the dubious responses have been things like "but if I'm standing on the subway I can work my phone with one hand but a smartwatch would require both hands" or "but if it's not situationally appropriate to be on your phone it probably isn't appropriate to be swiping away at your watch, either". But that isn't what it's about at all. It's about making information from your phone available with just a glance at your wrist. It's about making quick tasks a matter of just lifting your wrist to your mouth and then back down again.

For me personally the biggest benefit has been making Google Now reminders so quick and easy to create that it's effectively zero effort. I do it all the time now and it has noticeably improved my life (I am just one of those very forgetful people).

So for me, that convenience makes the smartwatch worth it. I think the continuing popularity of hugephones will be part of what drives smartwatches -- the bigger the phone, the more of a convenience it is to not have to pull it out.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Desk Lamp posted:

Why are people assuming there won't be huge strides in the tech of these devices when competition is just starting to heat up?
Because Moore's Law is slowing down for silicon processes and battery technology hasn't had a major breakthrough in ages.

Things will continue to get a few percent better every year, but legitimate huge strides would surprise me.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bull3964 posted:

It's android wear itself that is going to bring innovation to this space, not the SoC inside the device or how much bezel it has.

Bezels won't be a source of much innovation, but they will be a way for manufacturers to differentiate. I expect to see more and more devices with identical innards but different fashion aspects.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Nobody posted that the Moto 360 is the Woot of the day? I'm disappointed in you all.

I think this is the clearest sign yet that the Moto 360 2 will be announced soon.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Android Wear 5.1.1 has been spotted rolling out to the Asus Zenwatch.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

thebushcommander posted:

Not sure what that means. I was just looking for someone to tell me it's decent enough to keep..
Technologically, yes, it is decent enough to keep.

The design of the Urbane is somewhat polarizing. IMO whether or not you keep it should actually depend on how you think it looks on you.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Shai-Hulud posted:

So which watch faces are you guys using? I'm using Pujie black, but im looking for something with lighter colors.
Do you have a square or a circle?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Original LG G Watch on sale for $50. This is probably one of your last chances to buy one new.

It's not the best of Android Wear -- but it is very affordable.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

As long as you're ok with something that looks like it was built by someone in their basement.

It doesn't look like your standard fashion watch, but personally I don't think it's so bad.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Google Play Services 7.3 improved support for linking more than one Wear device to a single phone. It shouldn't be as hard to switch now as when Wear first launched.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Android Wear 5.1 OTA File Roundup:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/05/27/android-wear-lollipop-ota-roundup/

OTA links are provided for:
LG G Watch (platina)
LG G Watch R (lenok)
LG Watch Urbane (bass)
Sony SmartWatch 3 (tetra)
Asus ZenWatch (anthias)

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The 360 lacks a physical port for sideloading an OTA file.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Kakairo posted:

Would I be a total moron to buy a Moto 360 at the moment? I've been waiting for v.2, but since there weren't any major Android Wear enhancements announced at I/O, I can't imagine the new model will be anything more than a minor update (except maybe for eliminating the flat tire).
The 360 used a significantly older processor than other Android Wear devices. It's assumed that a respin will use a newer one with significant performance and battery life improvements.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Three Olives posted:

I'm still really happy with my G Watch but $80 seems really, really high for a refurb this late in the game, there have been lower prices on new G watches weeks and weeks ago. For $80 for a refurb I'm going to wait for either the second gen or pick up a G Watch R next time it goes on a decent sale.

AT&T Wireless dropped the G Watch R to $99 today but of course the inventory available on the website sold out almost immediately.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Reverse Centaur posted:

Zenwatch 2 was announced I guess? Fall release

http://www.androidcentral.com/asus-announces-zenwatch-2-two-sizes-and-three-colors-optional-steel-band

Looks nice, still wish they could reduce those bezels.

Haha, an extended battery back for your smartwatch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxawWV5dEAA&t=90s

The haters are going to get a lot of Android mocking mileage out of that one.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

FEBURARY

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Some buzz about the Tag Heuer Carrera Wearable 01:

http://www.wareable.com/android-wear/tag-heuer-carrera-wearable-01-ceo-reveals-name-of-first-luxury-smartwatch-1191

Interesting for the fact it is not using a Qualcomm processor and for the idea of a smartwatch with upgradeable innards.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Apparently the reason the Moto 360 hasn't received the newest update yet is performance issues:

http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola-blames-performance-issues-moto-360-update-delay

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The $50 for a refurbished LG G Watch (original) deal is back:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171816938160

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Personally I never expected anything other than Q4 for that thing just based on how non-specific they were being when it was announced.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Well, I guess now we know why all the Pip Boy watch faces were removed from the Play store:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/14/8780111/fallout-4-pip-boy-edition-e3-2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Reportedly the 5.1.1 update is coming to the Moto 360 starting today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

It looks like Woot! has picked up the final supply of the original LG G Watch. $69.99