Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

What a future we live in. One watch platform lets you send your loved one a heartbeat. Another lets you draw a picture of a turd on your watch, and it will automatically convert it to a turd emoji to send your loved one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah, this is actually pretty nice and eliminates the need for that janky third party launcher.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Takoluka posted:

Does the Moto 360 have this capability, or am I going to be getting a new watch in the near future?

I'd probably assume not, unless it was originally advertised as "wifi ready" like the Sony watch was. From the iFixit teardown it looks like the 360 "might" be using a TI chipset that supports wifi/BLE, but the wifi part might be disabled for power savings.

I stand corrected.

http://motorola-blog.blogspot.com/2015/04/moto-360-its-time-for-update.html?linkId=13654909

quote:

Simpler, easier and more fun. In the next few weeks, an update is coming to Moto 360 equipped with fun few new features like Wi-Fi connectivity, new gestures and easy-to-draw emojis. That way, you can get more done and have some fun with your watch.

I would bet wifi connectivity might be a prerequisite to iOS support, if they ever do such a thing. The device would need its own connectivity to bridge the gap between what Android can do with another Android device and what iOS would let it do otherwise.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 20, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

That's a Moto 360.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So I've seen two instances this week where navigation on a 4 hour drive has taken the battery on my Moto 360 from 100% down to 0. The battery lasts fine otherwise.

I thought navigation was just sending notifications to the watch like any other app, but it seems to be wakelocking the watch the whole time Google Maps is in navigation mode.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

kri kri posted:

Anyone got the tylt band for the 360? Thinking about getting one.

I wanted a dark blue band and I like the look of blue + black watch. The clasp on the end seems to work better than the original leather band too, because the free end liked to come loose of the loop and snag on sleeves.

Material seems ok and it feels comfortable. I'd give the whole thing an A-.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 30, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

TraderStav posted:

Returned my 360 today, just isn't worth the cost for how I was using it. I found I was just using it to see notifications and whether or not I needed to pull out my phone. That was great but not worth it.

It's down to $170 at Costco though. Great price for a lifetime return policy. If you are on the fence its a fantastic route and if you like it just return it later when a new one comes out. Which I expect will be soon with all these widespread price reductions.

I thought the lifetime return policy was not applicable to electronics, just 90 days and they compensate for this by extending your warranty by a year. Basically because people were doing exactly this to get free upgrades on electronics.

Not that I'm returning mine, I feel like I've gotten my $220 worth out of it from when it first showed up at Costco in January and more so if the wifi update hits it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

My question is does it have to be in the same Wi-Fi, or could I leave my phone at home and my watch still works to send texts etc at work?

It sounds like it doesn't have to be in the same wifi network. If you left your phone at home and your watch was connected to wifi at work, your phone will bridge to your watch via Google's services.

edit: It does sound though like you need to have first joined the wifi network from your phone at some point, because it copies your "known" wifi networks to your watch from your phone.

edit 2: I am gleaning this info from https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-wear/7rUcu95kGAE

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 4, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The Sony watch is on sale for $149. http://www.expansys-usa.com/sony-smartwatch-3-swr50-black-265548

Can't imagine using this one for daily wear, but with Runkeeper supporting the onboard GPS and a transflective screen so it looks good in sunlight, might not be a bad running watch.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

https://twitter.com/rosterloh/status/612006062237978624

Motorola president says they held off on shipping the 360 update until the apparent battery issues in the 5.1 update had been dealt with.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

What secret model Moto 360 do you have? The wifi chip has always been there, but it was never supported in software at all until the Android 5.1 update that rolled out this week.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/19/9766162/lg-watch-urbane-2nd-edition-sales-halted

Urbane 2 LTE halted, no sign as to whether they'll actually sell it later.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Three Olives posted:

The people at Fitbit are loving morons for not designing watchband that attaches to a standard watch (including the Apple Watch and Wear) that has the Fitbit guts in it but nothing else. They built their own dumbass smartwatch instead of ceding the market that no one is really good at and making the thing that they are really good and allowing it to attach to any watch.

I honestly don't understand why this is a product they don't make, watches are seriously back in style, fitness trackers are all the rage, stop trying to make lovely combination products and just let people clip a Fitbit to the watch they already wear.

Considering Fitbit has intentionally made a business decision not to sync data with Apple Health or Google Fit, interop with smartwatches -- if even just as a band -- seems like it's not on their radar at all.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Desk Lamp posted:

I don't feel that Wear is dead, I do feel that it is going through its HTC Thunderbolt/Droid Bionic phase. I want to play around with a Wear device but I can't shake the feeling that this year or the next is gonna produce devices that make the current selection look like absolute poo poo.

Considering Qualcomm back in February started touting a "Snapdragon Wear" CPU that is 25% smaller and 30% better on battery, I'd agree on this. Probably anything coming out this fall will use that and will be a better buy than anything you can get now.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

30% better battery life at the SoC level isn't really going to lead to that much more dramatic battery life with current display tech though.

I mean, those devices will certainly be a better buy than current gen devices, but it's all going to be incremental.

The real question is not so much battery life, but whether manufacturers will be able to make smaller watches using that new hardware and keep the same battery life as people are accustomed to now.

I don't think Android Wear only comes in 42-46mm+ size cases because everyone likes big watches, it comes that way because it's the only way to pack the guts in along with enough battery to keep it running for a day.

I would still consider it to be a big improvement if you can get a 38mm Android Wear watch that has the same battery life as the 42-46mm models out there today.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So I guess your choices in 2017 are:

- buy the LG Style and have a reasonable sized watch with bad battery (and is already hobbled out of the gate for Android Pay), or
- buy the Huawei 2 or LG Sport and have something that looks like a tractor tire strapped to your wrist.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I went to store.google.com to see what watches were selling in Canada these days, and... they are not selling any watches at all. Brutal. At first they had the LG Watch/Gear Live/360, then a few of the big next gen ones, then some sporty watches, and now nothing.

I was at Best Buy tonight, and I saw they had one of the LG Style watches on display. With no card saying what it was, no price tag, and no indication that it's buyable.

Nobody's even loving trying to sell this platform.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

LastInLine posted:

I had a similar experience at a Best Buy over the weekend but I'll be honest, with the platform in the shape it's in, it's probably best not to draw attention to it. If I were a realtor I don't think I'd list a house while it's on fire.

The sellers are really motivated now.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Remember Enlightenment? The Linux window manager from the 1990s that had a million obscenely ugly themes?

The Tizen UI toolkit is built on top of Enlightenment. No joke.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Someone from LG is spying on my posts in this thread.

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/04/27/report-lg-watch-timepiece/

I also wonder if this is happening with Google's blessing and showing a direction change in wear.

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2018/04/exclusive-lg-watch-timepiece-hybrid-wear-os-smartwatch.html

So the face of the watch is a screen, and it has hands sticking out of it? This sounds like the worst of both worlds.

The point of caring about battery life isn't that you can't tell the time when the battery's dead. You've got a phone to check the time. It's that it doesn't do any of the other things that were compelling about a smartwatch when it's dead.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 29, 2018

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

FItbit used to be really good about just sending you free replacements no questions asked if you emailed them and weren't a dick about it. But that seems to have fallen off now that they're a publicly traded company and have to actually make money.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Are these secretly refurbs or something? They all say the warranty is provided by Asurion, not the manufacturer.

Or is it just that Fossil themselves do not honor warranties on watches they didn't sell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Sometimes the third-generation Fossil Q watches get marked down on Amazon to ~$150. I'd say maybe it's worth it at that price.

Otherwise yeah I wouldn't touch anything until October when Google's slate of hardware for 2018 comes out.