Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Glass houses and stones and such. Extended batteries already exist for the Apple Watch.

Not from Apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Not much worse than the poo poo I see people wear IRL all the time.
Lots of people wear really ugly watches, so that's not really a high bar.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That bezel is hideous. It looks like something you'd buy at Fossil.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The multicolor one looks bad. The silver one looks most like a real watch and the black one looks like a fitness tracker or something.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

$10 is the normal price for an add-on device.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

KillHour posted:

How does that get through QC?

QC?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don't spend $1500 on a smart watch.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Three Olives posted:

Don't worry, I have a plan:

Your wrist is too big

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If they're buying a smartwatch to be fashionable, they have much bigger concerns than who manufactured it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lots of watches have bracelets.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

HIdeous

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Three Olives posted:

It's a sports watch, all of them are varying degrees of hideous as to be very durable. It's probably a good sign that manufactures see Wear as a broad multi-use platform, unless Google is just bribing them like Microsoft with Windows Phone.
There's lots and lots of attractive sport watches. Even if you're speaking specifically of smartwatches, maybe I'm a dummy, but I don't know how bright orange paint and bezel markings around the screen make it more durable.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not sure what argument you're trying to make showing another hideous smartwatch.

I like the middle screen which has the minute numbers on the dial even though it has them physically built into the non-rotatable bezel.

It's better than the Nixon, but that's not saying much.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

It's clearly going to be the smart platform of choice for traditional watch manufacturers
Versus...?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Which of those are traditional watch companies, again?

(Actually, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Samsung makes watches.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's not like Michael Kors makes nice traditional watches, so I'm not sure why anyone would expect anything different for their smartwatches.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Magog posted:

Comedy option: It's Casio.

This would probably be the first good, attractive Android Wear watch were it the case.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nice! Can't wait for them to randomly brick themselves after two years!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

The lack of a crown is not really a downside to me personally. As a lefty i wear my watch on my right hand, so the crown is facing in pretty uncomfortable position to use as a input device.

lol Wait Android Wear doesn't let you put it the other way? Or is it because all the ones worth getting have terrible flat tires that would look even worse on the top?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blue Train posted:

Maybe Fitbit will use it's newly acquired IP and talent to create a decent smartwatch

Not likely since their newly acquired IP never bothered to do that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Look at these scrubs not even putting the launch date on the face.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

iajanus posted:

I like 2 more than 1.5 on my Huawei watch with ios but that's mostly because 1.5 was totally useless with it.

Now it's only mostly useless.

Hey look it's the literally one person Wear 2.0 exists for.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kazy posted:

Switching from iOS/Apple Watch. Is Android Pay really that rare on the watches? I'd like something at least as thin and light as my 38mm Apple Watch, but I guess I'll sacrifice NFC if it has decent battery life (and preferably currently supported)

There's literally no Android watches that small.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, using an old, slow SOC also means it's using an old, power-hungry SOC, which necessitates a bigger battery, and by extension bigger device. The current state of Android Wear is that the smallest devices are the size of large men's watch, which is functionally cutting out half the potential market.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

I don't think that's it at all. I think they released a mediocre product in response to The Next Big Thing and slapped together the base minimum necessary because neither Samsung (who entered the product space first due to Apple's cunning misdirection) nor Apple (who forgot they made up the idea of the smartwatch just to trick Samsung) was going to license their platform.

They figured, correctly, that it was better to make the commodity tier platform for anyone who wants to ”Make a smartwatch, I don't care what it does just make sure our name is on it" and that worked. The part that didn't work was anyone wanting smartwatches.

Edit:

Thinking about it further, I feel like you're way off base with the idea that allowing tinkering to OEM wishes would be a good idea. All the OEM wants to have to do is provide watchfaces with their name on it, design the housing, and determine the feature count and they can do all of that. Do you really think OEMs would've jumped on board en masse had they also been able to change the font, coloring, and order of the settings menu? That's laughable on its face.

Even paid Apple shills like Gruber and Arment are floating the idea that the Apple Watch should do away with third party apps beyond watchfaces and just focus on notifications, HealthKit sensors, and Apple Pay. In other words, they want to walk it back to where Android Wear was when it launched (minus NFC payments, of course).

The fact is the segment is moribund because it was never going to be as big as analysts hyped it to be. Again, there's ample evidence that rumors Apple was going to make a wearable was Jobs just trying to make Samsung sink tons of money into a stupid idea and then Tim got FOMO and did it after Samsung launched theirs. It could certainly be the case that what's out there is good enough and everyone who wants one of these things can get one if they want it. I don't think a super fast, hyper efficient chipset being made available would set the world on fire, nor do I think there's some killer app that just hasn't come out yet. The market for wearables is what it is and it will never be much.
I don't think you're quite right about no one wanting smartwatches. I see tons and tons of people wearing fitness trackers of various sizes, Apple watches, and occasional Samsung watches. No one wants generic Android watches because they are all the size of hockey pucks, which immediately removes women from the potential market, as well as many men.

This, of course, goes back to Qualcomm not bothering to make updated hardware that can actually get decent battery life that would enable companies to make smaller watches that people actually want to wear.

I will agree that people do not see smartwatches as a necessity like they do phones, but that was always going to be the case.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Len posted:

Do I have a giant wrist or something? Neither my original Moto 360 or the LG Style seem that huge
The Moto 360 is 46mm, which is certainly on the larger side of men's watches (though not as big as the monstrosities that companies like Diesel and Shinola make). At 42mm, the LG is a bit more normally sized for a men's watch, but still bigger than typical women which generally top out at 36mm (which makes the smaller Apple Watch slightly larger, but not excessively so). So, yeah, you might just have an average to large wrist.

E: I also see Earpods all the time, along with wireless Beats and LG Tones all over the place. Rarely do I see on or over ear wireless headphones outside an airport. Granted, I commute by public transit, so what I see might vary from wherever you are.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 16, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Taking the commodity approach, however, has put Android Wear on the wrists of lots of iOS users
Has it?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rastor posted:

The thing is there are actually a lot of mobile SoC suppliers. Does anybody know the technical reasons smartwatch designers must build around Snapdragon Wear instead of choosing anything else?

My guess would simply be that OEMs would rather work with a vendor they already buy parts from rather than going to MediaTek or whoever. I wouldn't be shocked to learn Qualcomm gives, say Huawei a discount on Wear SOCs since they buy lots of phone SOCs.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I wish I could find an apartment for $1300/month.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

$1300 here would either get you a one-bedroom apartment in a gentrifying neighborhood, or a studio in a popular one if you are lucky.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If it's anything like a Nissan Versa, no.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Siri face

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hooah posted:

Well that sucks. Is there anything I can do to prevent that from happening?

Don't listen to music

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Apple Watch Series 4 ECG function is an FDA-approved medical device (in the US, obviously - other countries only have access of their local equivalent approves). It's also not a constant, ongoing thing. You have to actively use it. The regular heart rate monitor is, at least, best in class.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

tino posted:

Is it "approved" like 737Max FAA "approved"?
Interesting question, so I looked it up. I was wrong, and it's not "approved" it's "cleared" which is used for Class I and II medical devices. Approval is limited to Class III which are high-risk, high-benefit devices like pacemakers. Read more here!

In any case, it's not intended to replace actually talking with a doctor, just provide extra info. I don't think the OP's use-case is ideal here.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You'll probably only ever get one of those.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's a good thing you saved a whole $20 on the piece of garbage you don't liek!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

I've mentioned my issues with my Fossils in the past but the tl;dr is that I've never had one work more than three consecutive months and I've had like four or five at this point.
Never bag on someone buying Samsung phones ever again.