Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

So my cap is $150, and I need a smartwatch that will primarily be used for heart rate monitoring and health/fitness tracking, with GPS, messaging, apps, etc being secondary. I'm also open to non-Google products such as Fitbit or Garmin if those offer superior heart/health tracking.

As a side note, how are all these "smartwatches" that Amazon has for $30? I assume they die within a week and explode on your wrist after giving you cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

How the hell is Google Voice not integrated yet?

I got both a Galaxy Watch 4 Classic and a Fitbit Versa 4 as early Xmas gifts that I'm trying to decide between. Probably sticking with the Galaxy, it seems to have way more apps available, but it's gonna be annoying if I can't access my Google voice messages and calls through the watch.

Is the battery life typically crap in the Galaxy on the first day or two of use? I charged both the watches to 100 and then started setting them up. After a couple hours, the Fitbit is still around 98% and the Galaxy is already at 79%. But I'm kinda thinking that first day usage shouldn't be considered any sort of benchmark.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Haha just found out my gw4c could trigger a defibrillation in my pacemaker and kill me if I run the body composition app. Whee!

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

So I found a guide on tricking your GW4 watch into doing the stuff it refuses to do if you don't have a Samsung phone, has anyone else done this? The guide I found seems out of sync with the files it links to.

https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-enable-ecg-blood-pressure-monitoring-samsung-galaxy-watch-4/

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I'm mostly interested in ECG mode and also I'm hoping that I can use this feature I just read about where you can make your watch act as a virtual bluetooth mouse that will even recognize your finger taps as mouseclicks. That would be super handy for me, but seems to also be only for Samsung phones.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I haven't got it working yet, but if you're talking about WowMouse it is phone agnostic, as far as I can tell. So far I've only tried it on my TicWatch E3 but that watch hasn't updated to WearOS 3 yet and while it gets detected by other devices I have yet to make it work. Might try again after updating it to 3, or try it on my Galaxy Watch instead.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/1/13/24037132/wowmouse-wear-os-samsung-galaxy-watch-bluetooth-mouse-gesture-control-doublepoint

Yeah that's it. It just says it's not compatible with my phone in the app store, so I assumed it was because I'm on a Pixel8 and not a Samsung.

Edit: oh I gotta search from the watch itself, I'm a dumbass.

Organic Lube User fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 15, 2024

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Frush posted:

Depending on what you're looking for you could try this; https://play.google.com/store/search?q=wearmouse&c=apps

I've got it on my Galaxy 5, and while I haven't played with it lots yet it seems kind of like what you're asking for and wouldn't require all the extra stuff.

I figured out what I was doing wrong with installing wowmouse, I just hadn't selected my watch in the play store. Now I just gotta deal with it not being visible to my PC's Bluetooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I'm just using both a versa 4 and a gw4c because they both do different things, but rather than a testament to how good each watch is at what they do, it's more that they have to cover each other's gaps.
Some notifications show up on one watch, some on the other. I definitely like the battery life of the versa better, it seems like it could go a week between charges, while the gw is a daily charge. I just put em both on the charger when I shower and it seems to keep them both alive so far.